What's new

Villains in the FGC and eSports

jackempty0

Born on a Monday
No, but if you get a show of hands of who all is tried of seeing SonicFox win, we all get the point. The hype has dwindled over time of consistent Fox wins. @Tweedy made a top 8 of Kombat Cup more hype with just those 4oz of trash talk.
i feel like im the only one who likes seeing fox win. i for one hope he continues his dominance.

The best known villain right now, IMO, is Low Tier God. Its simply because its impossible to beat him and have him give you any props. He'll always have some sort of excuse and will disparage any opponent who he doesn't beat. Plus, he has a very large following. He's irrelevant on the tourney scene, but not in FGC culture.
Spoken like a true drone

Raiderhorn

White Lotus
Fillipino Champ in the UMvC3 scene is a very good example of being a villain when you look at his history with KaneBlueRiver. FC believes he would have won Evo 2015 had he faced Kane earlier in the tournament but Kane has the attitude that he has nothing to prove and just plays for the fun of the game. FC continues to trash talk Kane cause Kane said he was done with the game after he won Evo and he would back out of tournaments and other events to avoid going against FC because FC runs a team that's one of Kane's worst matchups. And yeah to be fair Kane has a point, he even says FC would beat him more times than not because of the matchup (which FC has beat Kane many many times), but it just so happens that Kane went all the way to win that evo. Then you look at their Winter Brawl X set. The two had an exhibition and FC beat Kane badly, the tension was building, etc etc... But then top 8 happens, and Kane just so happens to beat FC and go on to win the tournament. Very hype set.

It's a combination of both of the differing views on that Evo, their long matchup history, and their skill that brings the hype. But more importantly it's the history between the players.

Last edited:

TheGangstaFace

Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace
i feel like im the only one who likes seeing fox win. i for one hope he continues his dominance.
I've gotten sick of seeing the kid winning but at the same time you gotta give him his props. Not only is he crazy but dude he brings the fucking hype sometimes. I honestly liked watching his Gunslinger and Dragon Naginata. He's got some other characters I like watching too. Plus I'd still rather see him win than Scar with pre patch Demo. Bleh...

Wigy

There it is...
Think anyone who does well with a shitty character as long as they arent a total asshole are heros.

Like forever king has always seemingly stuck to the best characters and counterpicked as much as possible, he might not talk trash but i'd catagorise that as a villain.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
The first part is kinda irrelevant... if the same person wins all of the time it becomes stale for some.

When REO and CD Jr would win most events in MK9 it was the same way.

At the same time, it's good of a build-up. Meaning, come EVO... all eyes are going to be on SonicFox (if MKX is there). Will he three-peat?

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Maaaan I wish I watched MK9. PL said nobody liked him lololol
Very few liked him, it seemed. He wasn't a core MK guy... he came from other fighters and won EVO. However, 2012 was a hot year because players like REO, CD jr and others has all year to talk shit and be ready... then PL beats CD Jr to win again. I'm sorry, but that wasn't a hype GF at all. I was there.

2013 was hype. REO eliminated PL, then DJT eliminated REO to win EVO. There was also a stage rush.

Raiderhorn

White Lotus
No, but if you get a show of hands of who all is tried of seeing SonicFox win, we all get the point. The hype has dwindled over time of consistent Fox wins. @Tweedy made a top 8 of Kombat Cup more hype with just those 4oz of trash talk.
I agree. Sonic is tremendous with his skill and his record proves it. Though despite being called the best player he has been beaten and when that's happened, the hype is very high because it's with someone that has a history of wanting to overcome that Sonic barrier for quite some time or even when Sonic wins, it's to show him that this time around the match is going to be different. That's where hype can come from too, the will to compete like that. Scar's set with Sonic at SCR 2016 comes to mind first for me. The history with Scar and Sonic was there. Tweedy's history with Sonic is building and the hype is so good because we all know Tweedy can back it up with the skill; he has the potential. We all know back when the man said he would make his first Top 8 and he went and did it, and he got so much props! It was well deserved. And while Tweedy v Sonic match yesterday ended with Sonic taking it 3-0, I still greatly enjoyed watching it. Tweedy brought something to show, while some may not agree because of the 3-0 result but still, I enjoyed watching. He even said that him showing Fox on Wednesday was the least important take home point of his. I mean hell, "Either way win or lose, I'm comin for Sonic." If that doesn't speak personal Sonic barrier I don't know what does. That's hype.

Safe Armor

Tier Whore. BS, GM, Mystic etc.
personally, I prefer seeing SonicFox win again and again to having an arrogant trash talker take his place.

I'd more than welcome someone more humble like Reo, F0xy or Dink taking the throne though.

PS: Tweedy didn't hype me up, not with a top tier like Alien. but again, it might just be me.

I didn't consider him a villan either before he started saying stuff, and I quote: "95% of TYM is at my feet". That does sound pretty villany to me, but if you like the guy personally and don't mind some arrogance here and there, I can see where you are coming from.
Oh and Sonicfox doesn't tier whore? lol pls. Fox uses all top tiers and never goes into a disadvantageous MU. So not only is he a tirr whore but a counter picker too.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Very few liked him, it seemed. He wasn't a core MK guy... he came from other fighters and won EVO. However, 2012 was a hot year because players like REO, CD jr and others has all year to talk shit and be ready... then PL beats CD Jr to win again. I'm sorry, but that wasn't a hype GF at all. I was there.

2013 was hype. REO eliminated PL, then DJT eliminated REO to win EVO. There was also a stage rush.
But PL is practically a NRS player since MK9 even if he started his journey as a villain.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
But PL is practically a NRS player since MK9 even if he started his journey as a villain.
The greatest comeback for EVO 2017 would be PL vs Sonic... except NOT fucking 13-0 again.

At the rate we're going, SonicFox is going to win EVO again. You need Tekken Master, F0xy, Scar, REO, Forever King, Dizzy, etc all at their best.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
KDZ is my favorite villain. Remember on that one podcast where he was talking about how he didn't win NRS player of the year for 2013?

Something like: "It's okay, it was just a popularity contest. I KNOW it wasn't a merit based contest, because I won more than anyone and DJT has 1 win and 1 2nd place"

He was like an old school wrestler lol

TheGangstaFace

I'm gonna have to go back and watch these some time. I've only watched like some money matches like Chris G vs @16 Bit (LOL btw), tag matches with DJT/MIT vs Wound/Pig, and I watched lesser used characters at a high level like @Big D 's Nightwolf and Scar's Skarlet

TheGangstaFace

Oh and Sonicfox doesn't tier whore? lol pls. Fox uses all top tiers and never goes into a disadvantageous MU. So not only is he a tirr whore but a counter picker too.
That doesn't make him a bad player. He still wins losing mu's and uses lower tier characters sometimes. He likes bringing hype too. Pre patch he NEVER brought out Acidic even though he thought he was broken UNLESS his back was against the wall. He won zeal season 2 if I recall correctly. He stuck with Erron Black no matter how many times he got nerfed. Also if people complain about the counter picking then they should know by now you need to be able to counter pick him as well

DarkSlayerSmith

Fundamentals in real life
He is not a villain but the Villain style he defends so passionatly makes him worthy a mention.His threads are so Hyped to read.
`OMG its that zoning thread,by that zoning guy!`

#Who I´m I?