What's new

Villains in the FGC and eSports

You feel that way because your comparing the FGC to movies and hollywood.

Look at the word fuzzy. You can fuzzy block (guard) your opponents mix ups. But the word "Fuzzy" doesn't mean the same thing in the English dictionary. Villain is perfect to describe what we are trying to say - it's simple and understandable even by new comers as it hints towards what we are trying to get across. No one actually thinks they are actually villains (that would be silly) because this isn't a comic book strip.

Also the word villain has been in the FGC for a while now it's not just something unique to players in mk or NRS games for that matter. It definitely isn't gonna change now.
I actually hear the word heel used quite often in the fgc. I also hear it used in some sports talk shows as well. I've never heard anyone say "I'm gonna be a villain and post this savage post." I have, however, heard the term heel used many times in scenarios like that. To each their own, though.

GOOD DRAGON

Awesometacular
I actually hear the word heel used quite often in the fgc. I also hear it used in some sports talk shows as well. I've never heard anyone say "I'm gonna be a villain and post this savage post." I have, however, heard the term heel used many times in scenarios like that. To each their own, though.
Fair enough. I'v never heard that. And anyone who says "I'm gonna be a villain and post this savage post." is not a villain but an idiot. The villains don't call themselves villains, they are referred to as villains by the community which is different. For example Sonic fox never called himself a villain but because he wins soo much everyone always wants to see the other guy kick his ass (supporting the underdog).

Fair enough. I'v never heard that. And anyone who says "I'm gonna be a villain and post this savage post." is not a villain but an idiot. The villains don't call themselves villains, they are referred to as villains by the community which is different. For example Sonic fox never called himself a villain but because he wins soo much everyone always wants to see the other guy kick his ass (supporting the underdog).
Fair point.

I feel like there's just been a culture change just in general over the past decade with being nice and all-inclusive which in turn just makes everything a little too boring. You get shut down and shamed for showing your ego these days and it kind of sucks. Maybe now that Trump is elected that'll change.

The whole situation Is like when JOP was destroying everyone back in the day in Tekken, and when Slips finally beat him it was the craziest shit ever.
People back then just weren't afraid to say how they felt about eachother and dared people to prove them otherwise. When Slips beat JOP there was a huge controversy about whether it was legitimate since T4 had been released and people claimed they moved on. They talked heaps of shit to eachother on the forums and Cali, who was considered to have the most depth in good players, weighed in on the subject to stir it up even more. It was great drama and speculation. T4 was so bad that everyone eventually did end up playing Tekken Tag again and it was then they realized Slips was for real.

We haven't see much of that stuff these days. Everyone's too PC.