What's new

The Tierlist is ALMOST Correct

SaJa

FH_FenriR
I really think Sonya > Skarlet.
My top 5 : kabal, KL, cyrax, kenshi, sonya. But I admit there are not that much Sonya in europ.

DeathTouch

Iceman
Cage has more holes to interrupt and stop pressure

f32 interrupted by ex cartwheel is far worse than interrupting by ex nut punch

betterprojectile

MS as a whole

d4 ms in particular

far more damage

builds meter quicker

4 frame instant air dive kick counter poke that leads to 40% reset (blake is only one who can do this...see his match vs tyrant) He counter pokes when he knows im at - on poke w 40% combo...thats some omega dizzy shit

Cage is slower than sonya as well as not as mobile

he has no zoning options or major comeback factor the way she does
Sonya is a bitch. Great post Pig

coolwhip

Noob
I think Liu Kang has been played to his fullest potential. All his max damage combos have been figured out, and a lot of his strings are useless (for example 12b1.) What else do top Liu Kang players do besides b312 and f3 mixup, EX low fireball, 2 anti-air, and combos? lol. There is nothing more to be figured out with Liu Kang and nothing more really that can be done that nobody else does
I'd say solid IAFB zoning, kinda like what Shory does. It adds a whole different layer to Liu Kang's game.

killa_solid

Friendly--foe
Cage has more holes to interrupt and stop pressure

4 frame instant air dive kick counter poke that leads to 40% reset (blake is only one who can do this...see his match vs tyrant) He counter pokes when he knows im at - on poke w 40% combo...thats some omega dizzy shit
Sonya's dk is not 4 frames, its 10 frames minimum. Somberness confirmed this. Its a 4 frame move if jumping is not taken into consideration.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
A bit late to the party, but I definitely feel the need to address one post specifically:

I think Liu Kang has been played to his fullest potential. All his max damage combos have been figured out, and a lot of his strings are useless (for example 12b1.) What else do top Liu Kang players do besides b312 and f3 mixup, EX low fireball, 2 anti-air, and combos? lol. There is nothing more to be figured out with Liu Kang and nothing more really that can be done that nobody else does
I do not believe this. People have said at several points throughout the course of the game that Cage was figured out and there will never be anything new with Cage. I never believed them and it couldn't have been further from the truth.

Maybe the gimmick well will start to run dry for Liu Kang, but there is no way he is "at his full potential". No one so far is playing any character so far in MK9 at their fullest potential. That is why tier lists change. Not just because of "flavor of the month" but people actually showcase previously untapped potential for their characters.

bipolar_shango

" Bros before Hoes"
was thinking about that too but then i remembered

- good zoning

- DAT ARMOR

- Gets 50/50 of a d4 etc
50/50 that leads to what? 9-15%. No Sonya is not top 3 because anything she has that leads to proper damage ranges from barely safe to Super-punishable.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
A bit late to the party, but I definitely feel the need to address one post specifically:

I do not believe this. People have said at several points throughout the course of the game that Cage was figured out and there will never be anything new with Cage. I never believed them and it couldn't have been further from the truth.

Maybe the gimmick well will start to run dry for Liu Kang, but there is no way he is "at his full potential". No one so far is playing any character so far in MK9 at their fullest potential. That is why tier lists change. Not just because of "flavor of the month" but people actually showcase previously untapped potential for their characters.
Liu Kang has really good normals not even Liu Kang players bothered to master. This character is definitely better than given credit for.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I said Liu Kang was underrated since 2011, search the forums. However, he does have big problems versus zoning characters. So I'd say he's a very good counter-pick tournament character, but can't really survive on his own.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
its second to skarlet
To me, her blockstrings, frametraps and setups are more enticing that maxing damage.
If I get a good loop going, that's awesome, but I play her more like a Quan and try and force mistakes and get inside their head.
But then again, the same could be said of Rain and those who play him like a CD Jr and do the same.

Dizzy

Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I said Liu Kang was underrated since 2011, search the forums. However, he does have big problems versus zoning characters. So I'd say he's a very good counter-pick tournament character, but can't really survive on his own.
Same thing is said about Cage.

Dizzy

Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
But wasn't this said before Frame Data? Didn't Cage like become good after people looked at his Data and realized the stuff he could do.

Or was it combos that opened him up...
People realizing there is more to the game then combos and frame data.