What's new

The Stick Thread

TyrantRave

タイラント・レイブ
Hey guys I don't know much about sticks/pads but in the future I do plan on buying the MK stick cause it looks amazing. Im also a bit skeptical with using a stick because it would be such a high learning curve for me. In the mean time im thinking about getting a pad and was hoping you guys may be able to give advice on this particular one. I don't want the madcatz streetfighter pad, and im sorry for putting this post in the stick thread as I couldn't find a pad thread.

http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.218524000/categoryId.54297600
1) For pads, I'd go with the hori ex2

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Pad-EX-Turbo-Black/dp/B002LT9PXQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311551881&sr=8-1

I used this pad for a while before switching to stick. It's really responsive and it has a good feel. They do wear out quickly, though. Mine died after about four months.

2) For stick, I'm not sure what the consensus is on the PDP fightstick, but I know you can't go wrong with a madcatz te.

Something like:
http://www.amazon.com/BlazBlue-Continuum-Fightstick-Tournament-Xbox-360/dp/B003O216K4/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1311551988&sr=1-3
Of course you could always get a qanba stick, of whatever tom brady is promoting lol

Then there's also the hitbox, which I haven't used, but I definitely like its design.

Of course you could always get a cheaper madcatz standard edition stick and swap out the parts to your liking. I've actually done this, and its pretty simple imo.

TrickyNick

Weather Man
Hey thanks Tyrant for the info I will check out that pad this weekend. I dont like the sound of it dying out in 4 months though. Also im not sure how much I would like the block buttons being on the front of the controller.

Yea I will get a stick later in the year. I really want something mortal kombat related. Even If i need to customize it but damn sticks are expensive lol...really makes me think is it worth it?

I'm pretty sure this is some kind of blasphemy, but I found a home for my stock PDP buttons and switches:

Electrical tape seems to be holding it for now, but once I figure out how to put the back panel back on I should find someone with a soldering iron

Tim Static

Adminerator
Nothing wrong with that. The stock PDP MK stick parts are WAYYY better than the stock parts on any Mad Catz SE stick!!

Dr Doggystyle

The #1 MK Kollector from the Netherlands
my latest addition to my fight stick collection :
a custom fight stick and there were only 3 of them made :
1 for the Dutch MK Champion in a MK Tournament
1 for the Belgian MK Champion in a MK Tournament
1 to give away in a contest

i wasnt so lucky to win the last one, but the winner sold it and i bought it first :)
http://twitpic.com/5xs9zr
Its made by Shadaloo and here you can see how it is build :
http://www.flawlessvictory.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=218

aj1701

Noob
my latest addition to my fight stick collection :
a custom fight stick and there were only 3 of them made :
1 for the Dutch MK Champion in a MK Tournament
1 for the Belgian MK Champion in a MK Tournament
1 to give away in a contest

i wasnt so lucky to win the last one, but the winner sold it and i bought it first :)
http://twitpic.com/5xs9zr
Its made by Shadaloo and here you can see how it is build :
http://www.flawlessvictory.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=218
Very nice. I like the MK logo on the dust cover for the joystick. Excellent touch!

Hey guys! I began to play MK for a few months now and I'm thinking of purchasing the MK Klassic fight stick when it drops. As of right now I'm using the standard 360 controller and have some trouble with it. I just wanted to see if it was worth the investment? Any info would be thankful.

Hey guys! I began to play MK for a few months now and I'm thinking of purchasing the MK Klassic fight stick when it drops. As of right now I'm using the standard 360 controller and have some trouble with it. I just wanted to see if it was worth the investment? Any info would be thankful.
If you're playing XBox, i might suggest just picking up the TE Stand alone stick. I was looking into the classic stick, but read that it will no longer have the latch/storage. I'm not sure if that means it will be harder to mod. It might be completely enclosed, making access to the buttons/stick difficult. Just something to look out for. I would definitely recommend swapping out the stick and buttons for IL Euro Competition stick and buttons with cherry switches. I swapped them out last night and the difference was amazing -- no more dropped inputs, less negative edge issues.

Speaking of the swap...

With some help from Dark_Rob and Ashenar, finally got my IL stick in the PDP mount and the buttons swapped out:

I have a MK3 panel coming from Art for my XBOX Hori RAP. I also have this weird obsession with black and orange stick color themes...

Dark_Rob

Noob
If you're playing XBox, i might suggest just picking up the TE Stand alone stick. I was looking into the classic stick, but read that it will no longer have the latch/storage. I'm not sure if that means it will be harder to mod. It might be completely enclosed, making access to the buttons/stick difficult. Just something to look out for. I would definitely recommend swapping out the stick and buttons for IL Euro Competition stick and buttons with cherry switches. I swapped them out last night and the difference was amazing -- no more dropped inputs, less negative edge issues.

Speaking of the swap...

With some help from Dark_Rob and Ashenar, finally got my IL stick in the PDP mount and the buttons swapped out:

I have a MK3 panel coming from Art for my XBOX Hori RAP. I also have this weird obsession with black and orange stick color themes...
Looks great, nice job on it. Also the top on the klassic stick will still be able to be removed for modding. It just wont use a latch but instead is held on by camlocks.

Eight

I am the salt
Yo guys, I'm looking for a cheap and quality stick for SF and maybe MK.

I know all the expensive recommendations, but unfortunately they really aren't an option for me.

What can you recommend me on a limited budget? Say 80 bucks at the super highest limit.

this is my SFIV SE stick modded with sanwa buttons/joystick. i am planning on getting a bat to replace the ball to give it a better MK feel.

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
Okay, I have a question. I've ordered a Hori Fighting Stick V3 for the PS3, which should arrive in September.

Looking at the layout, what is the easiest way to activate an X-Ray? Is there another way, besides pressing L2+R2, to active the X-Ray?

Tremloc

Noob
Okay, I have a question. I've ordered a Hori Fighting Stick V3 for the PS3, which should arrive in September.

Looking at the layout, what is the easiest way to activate an X-Ray? Is there another way, besides pressing L2+R2, to active the X-Ray?
x+triangle+r2 assuming your button layout has block as triangle.

SilverKeyMan

Okay, I tried that out and it didn't work. But thanks for the heads up, I tried a few other combinations and got x,o,R2 working on the regular PS3 controller. That means I'll just have to hit the bottom three buttons to pull off an X-Ray on the stick. =)

Tremloc

Noob
Okay, I tried that out and it didn't work. But thanks for the heads up, I tried a few other combinations and got x,o,R2 working on the regular PS3 controller. That means I'll just have to hit the bottom three buttons to pull off an X-Ray on the stick. =)
well what do you expect your configuration layout to be on a stick? To do an xray it's 3+4+block. People tend to use the classic MK layout on sticks, which on the hori would be:

1 - block - 2
3 - throw - 4

some people also swap the block and throw, but hitting block with my tip of my middle finger feels more natural than having to bend it. I have my index finger on 1, middle on block, and ring on 2. To activate an xray with this layout on the hori stick it would be like I said in my previous post - x+triangle+r2.

If you do it like I think you are the configuration would be

1 - 2 - ?
3 - 4 - block

having block over there is a little weird feeling, but to each his own.

I found using Block and Switch Stance easiest way for X-Ray. Mapped to buttons 2 and 6 (same row) on an 8 button layout

i use 1-2-throw on top
and 3-4-block on bottom
seems pretty effective because you can block with pinky and X-Ray with the bottom row. might want to give it a try.

SilverKeyMan

i use 1-2-throw on top
and 3-4-block on bottom
That seems to be the default setting, which is good.

I've considered setting it up as R1-1-2 on the top, and R2-3-4 on the bottom, so that I can block with my thumb, but I'm not sure I want to mess around with saving new joystick settings all the time, especially if I have people over.