What's new

The Stick Thread

Dark_Rob

Noob
Yes its realistic. But not the way your thinking of doing it. The combat panel does not use the true arcade Mortal Kombat layout but rather an approximation of it based off the Vewlix layout. In order to do what you want you need a custom job. The best place to get a custom panel routed for Sanwa stick and buttons in the true UMK3 layout would be:http://www.tek-innovations.com/arthobbies/

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Yes its realistic. But not the way your thinking of doing it. The combat panel does not use the true arcade Mortal Kombat layout but rather an approximation of it based off the Vewlix layout. In order to do what you want you need a custom job. The best place to get a custom panel routed for Sanwa stick and buttons in the true UMK3 layout would be:http://www.tek-innovations.com/arthobbies/
That man does an amazing job at making just about anything for arcade sticks!

You mean the Combat Panel or a TE ?
You can get the panel from GameShark.uk
As far as the TE just search amazon.co.uk
Sorry, should've been more specific. A TE. However, I want to ship one from the US, 'cause it would be much cheaper. I know where to get them in the UK, just want to take advantage of that conversion rate : P

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
I don't know ANYTHING about sticks, so how exactly do I go about getting that done? I see the dropdown for UMK3 on the custom panel builder, but where do I go from there? Sorry if people are cringing reading this, I don't know shit about sticks

I don't know ANYTHING about sticks, so how exactly do I go about getting that done? I see the dropdown for UMK3 on the custom panel builder, but where do I go from there? Sorry if people are cringing reading this, I don't know shit about sticks
Here you go man, not much to it in this case.
Six screws for the top,four screws for the JLF mount and just match the colors when switching the pushbuttons (just be sure to tapeup/remove the 4 wires you remove for the 2 extra buttons)

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
Here you go man, not much to it in this case.
Six screws for the top,four screws for the JLF mount and just match the colors when switching the pushbuttons (just be sure to tapeup/remove the 4 wires you remove for the 2 extra buttons)
Last stupid question I have (thanks for all the responses)

I'm on lizardlick.com and trying to order 2 blue and 2 red buttons, which pushbuttons do I get? Are these the ones I order? Or is sanwa better?

http://www.lizardlick.com/Competition-Pushbuttons_c_170.html

Dark_Rob

Noob
Oh now I remember. I talked to you a few days ago about this. The problem here is that you want the true UMK3 layout with custom artwork.
And you want to use HAPP/I.L. sticks and buttons to? Your talking about doing a really advanced and total custom mod of a Madcatz T.E. While I think something like this could be done through http://www.tek-innovations.com/arthobbies/ Its definitely not something I would recommend for a novice attempting your first stick mod. This is alot of work, even for me,(and Ive done alot of stick mods)
You would need an entirely custom and new panel as well because Madcats panels are all routed for Sanwa and Happ/I.L. are different sizes. Also I believe there may need to be some routing done to the bottom of the case as well to make room for a Happ/IL stick because the base is so much larger than a Sanwa JLF.
Honestly if you have a Madcatz T.E your best(and simplest) option would be to snag one of these: http://store.gameshark.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=5093&idCategory=253

No its not the true UMK3 layout, and no it doesnt have the custom artwork you want. But its an easy mod for a first timer.

If your heart set on modding your T.E. as heavily as you say though, the biggest thing I would suggest is sticking with Sanwa. The artwork and custom panel with the UMK3 layout are probably doable through Arts Hobbies, but trying to use Happ/I.L. will make your mod about 10 times more difficult.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
I should have been more specific, I apologize. I decided to keep the regular TE layout the same, just wanted to put the background on it and make sure I put on the right buttons. Based on what you said, happ will not work with the TE unless I mod it further so that answers another question, thanks. I'm gonna get 2 red sanwa, 2 blue sanwa and hopefully the background will fit on it?

I used the link you provided for lizardlick.com and am getting everything sanwa. Just worried about the background now lol

Dark_Rob

Noob
I should have been more specific, I apologize. I decided to keep the regular TE layout the same, just wanted to put the background on it and make sure I put on the right buttons. Based on what you said, happ will not work with the TE unless I mod it further so that answers another question, thanks. I'm gonna get 2 red sanwa, 2 blue sanwa and hopefully the background will fit on it?

I used the link you provided for lizardlick.com and am getting everything sanwa. Just worried about the background now lol
So your keeping the normal SF layout then? Anyway, yea youve just simplified your project by like a factor of 20 lol. As far as the artwork goes, I know Art has a specific template he uses. You will need to find a high resolution image of the Klassic artwork(Not sure if one is available yet) and then overlay it with his template. This isnt as hard as it sounds. The very first thing you should do is email Art and explain to him exactly what you want to do and then let him tell you what he needs from you. If you explain your novice at this hel hold your hand through it. Hes a very easy guy to work with.
The first time I did an art mod I know even less than you did and Art helped me through it.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
So your keeping the normal SF layout then? Anyway, yea youve just simplified your project by like a factor of 20 lol. As far as the artwork goes, I know Art has a specific template he uses. You will need to find a high resolution image of the Klassic artwork(Not sure if one is available yet) and then overlay it with his template. This isnt as hard as it sounds. The very first thing you should do is email Art and explain to him exactly what you want to do and then let him tell you what he needs from you. If you explain your novice at this hel hold your hand through it. Hes a very easy guy to work with.
The first time I did an art mod I know even less than you did and Art helped me through it.
As always, thanks for the fast help:) Gonna email him now, I'll post up pics when it's complete:D

I've actually modded a friend's TE to fit Happ/IL parts, need to strip apart and cut out with a Dremel 90% of the plastic, saw off the stick and slap it all on a custom panel I had to order just so I could mount the stick...

And Nori, consider Seimitsu pushbuttons if you're ordering from Art, the buttons cutouts can look really nice with the right print

wompa164

HUHHEEHEE
Pics of my stick :D

Anyone interested in purchasing some Sanwa OBSF30s? I've got about 10 in various colors (including green, blue, yellow, red to match the Xbox360 controller layout) that I need to sell since I decided to go a different route with my color scheme, and I purchased them from Akihabara Shop so sending them back isn't exactly practical.

Hey all. I am mostly a SRK forum guy but I wanted to pop in here to share my Multiconsole dual modded stick. I had to completely gut the PCB and start from scratch.

The red switch is to switch the Xbox 360 or Multi Console Cthulhu PCB. The other two switches are to toggle the block and run buttons depending on what system being used.

I routed the back panel to install these two acrylic plates.

Wiring

PCBs

Back panel inside.

Convex buttons, because nostalgia is sometimes overrated.

I just bought my first stick, a WWE brawlstick. I have read that it's basically the same as the SF4 SE fightstick in terms of modding, so I went ahead and bought some Sanwa pushbuttons and joystick to use on my new brawlstick. Here is a picture of the art template I have started working on for the brawlstick. Kitana is my fave character in the series and I wanted to include some T&A on the art template. Kung Lao being the one attacked in the art template is also a plus, considering how popular he is in the tournament scene right now. I plan on posting more pictures once I actually have all the parts I ordered and put it together.

Sick artwork man, good shit....can you tell me what kind of program did you use to make it????
I used Photoshop to combine some high-res screenshots I found off Google. The art template with the button placement was found off the Shoryuken forums.

I have been playing on an unmodded virtua stick high grade for years. Now I am switching to the pdp mk stick, just picked up 2 to build into a custom cabinet I am working on for mk9.

I will have to post progress pics of it down the road. Hopefully I can get some of you guys to come whoop my butt and teach me a few things on the machine once it is done. Some help modding the sticks down the road would be awesome as well as I hear there is a better bat stick option, and better concave button options (I prefer concave although most prefer convex).

tehm

Noob
I just bought my first stick, a WWE brawlstick. I have read that it's basically the same as the SF4 SE fightstick in terms of modding, so I went ahead and bought some Sanwa pushbuttons and joystick to use on my new brawlstick.
Take with a grain of salt, because I am certainly no Markman... but general consensus among the community is that the Brawl Stick is basically a 360 mod of the Wii TvC stick, not the SSF4 SE stick.

"What's the difference?" You ask? It's, in fact, significantly better than the SSFIV stick in almost every way! To be more specific, it basically appears to be Madcatz attempt to perfectly (as perfect as legal anyways) reproduce Sanwa parts using their own fabrication company instead of paying Sanwa's bills on top of that. The short of it is if you look at a Brawlstick button and a Sanwa button they look mostly identical except they seem to wear a lot quicker and I ended up replacing mine in the first week and never looking back...

If you look at the brawlstick "stick" though it's a near flawless copy. The only change (that I could tell anyways) was in the stiffness and length of the spring. Here's the thing though, this is gonna be all personal preference... but in my personal opinion the Madcatz spring is actually significantly better than the Sanwa one! It's stiffer, it's longer, and it just gives the stick this "snap" that I really like. That said, I'm a bass player and you could stiffen that spring up another 2-3x and I'd probably like it even more so again--personal preference.

Anyways... TL;DR you can almost certainly save ya some coin (and a decent dinner out) by just buying a spring for that stick instead of a whole new stick from Sanwa. You shouldn't be able to tell any difference whatsoever.

Just my $0.02,
tehm

Take with a grain of salt, because I am certainly no Markman... but general consensus among the community is that the Brawl Stick is basically a 360 mod of the Wii TvC stick, not the SSF4 SE stick.

"What's the difference?" You ask? It's, in fact, significantly better than the SSFIV stick in almost every way! To be more specific, it basically appears to be Madcatz attempt to perfectly (as perfect as legal anyways) reproduce Sanwa parts using their own fabrication company instead of paying Sanwa's bills on top of that. The short of it is if you look at a Brawlstick button and a Sanwa button they look mostly identical except they seem to wear a lot quicker and I ended up replacing mine in the first week and never looking back...

If you look at the brawlstick "stick" though it's a near flawless copy. The only change (that I could tell anyways) was in the stiffness and length of the spring. Here's the thing though, this is gonna be all personal preference... but in my personal opinion the Madcatz spring is actually significantly better than the Sanwa one! It's stiffer, it's longer, and it just gives the stick this "snap" that I really like. That said, I'm a bass player and you could stiffen that spring up another 2-3x and I'd probably like it even more so again--personal preference.

Anyways... TL;DR you can almost certainly save ya some coin (and a decent dinner out) by just buying a spring for that stick instead of a whole new stick from Sanwa. You shouldn't be able to tell any difference whatsoever.

Just my $0.02,
tehm
if this is the case...then you will probably enjoy the JLF stick mod...as i have two TvC sticks for our shop, and those madcatz sticks and buttons wear out with extended use (these sticks are used during our casuals sessions so they get ALOT of use). If your just casual player you can probably get away with changing the spring like tehm says...but if your gonna get really into it you gotta change to a JLF for sure. I had complaints from players about how beat up the TvC sticks were after a few months of use, ppl could tell they were not JLF joysticks

Dunno how many of you might know me or not, but i run casuals at my shop HEROES WORLD. We've also done alot of custom joystick work for people and have seen alot of unique sticks.

Here is a facebook gallery of some recent stuffs:

Fight Stick Customizing

some of the pics i've added a some "How To" notes so perhaps it can help some of you out