What's new

The Official MKXL Complain/Rant Thread

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
If you feel that MKX lacks strong defensive tools, then you should fight @usedcarsalesmang
If you're getting bored then you're not stepping up your game enough. Unless you really almost never lose, then I'd understand. But if that's the case you'd be winning EVO in two weeks.
I win 8/10 games online against good players. I've played like two offline tournaments and even though I didn't place it didn't feel like the skill gap is the big.

Not saying there is no competition because even when I lose I had much more fun back in MK9. I felt like they outplayed me, in this game i just get salty and im like sigh guess wrong on the unreactable mix up or tried AAing and got hit out of it for a full combo into a vortex...

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I win 8/10 games online against good players. I've played like two offline tournaments and even though I didn't place it didn't feel like the skill gap is the big.

Not saying there is no competition because even when I lose I had much more fun back in MK9. I felt like they outplayed me, in this game i just get salty and im like sigh guess wrong on the unreactable mix up or tried AAing and got hit out of it for a full combo into a vortex...
The problem here is that you Herped when you should have Derped.

I loved MK9, hated Inj and really like MKX but I can't help but feel like this game is way two dimensional. Like its fun but also gets repetitive and boring after a while.

I've been playing many dif chars but after a week or two I switch to another one because it just stops being fun to me.
Subz and Kung Jin feel boring to me now, I had fun with Quan chi, and now I've been playing Kenshi for about a week and it still fun but not as much anymore. Cassie feels more fun, I'll practice her bnbs later.

I never felt this way about MK9, in fact I kinda miss playing it... Maybe it's because it lacks strong defensive tools? Maybe because its all about 50/50s? Idk what do you guys think?

Keep in mind I usually play long sets. 5-9hours straight!!!
Its just you

Pound IC

Noob
How can you level up when you don't go to tournaments and really see how you fare against other regions? How could you even cite online play as a indicator? Sure online players can be good but who will know if they don't come out? How is it not a valid opinion that tournament players are more dedicated and usually better than online warriors. Offline is the real deal. Online is good for practice and MU knowledge but they get 0 respect especially if they're bragging. A person can play 8hrs a day at home, in comfortable conditions, no nerves, nothing on the line, and no one yelling at them all day. That's not how the FGC operates at all.

Online play at a high level doesn't exist because it's almost a different game.a nd why attack me?it was my opinion this site was more geared towards serious tournament player than casuals. Sorry if you feel like your integrity was hurt.
You realize this is exactly what people said about SonicFox before he started playing offline tourneys and MOPPED everyone, right? What you're saying has been objectively proven false. Online can be and is a fantastic indicator of offline skill. You should really go to school or something, maybe read a book. You don't make sense.

If you feel that MKX lacks strong defensive tools, then you should fight @usedcarsalesmang
If you're getting bored then you're not stepping up your game enough. Unless you really almost never lose, then I'd understand. But if that's the case you'd be winning EVO in two weeks.
Its not just about using defensive tools, its the fact that the vast majority of players online use offensive characters. It makes the playstyle linear and reptitive. In MK9, each match felt unique, since players always played differently, or each character required me to play a lot differently.

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
MKX actually does bore me a significant degree. I played MK9 for three years straight despite bugs, wonky netcode and what have you, but I didn't like IGAU that much myself. I ended up dropping it before characters like Batgirl, pre-patch Scorp and MMH became a problem. Though I will say the game at least worked and there were less weird hitbox issues than with MKX.

MKX just bored me from the get-go. For one, I now know every two years NRS will make a new game of some sort and just stop supporting after around October. They'll do pot bonuses and whatnot but that's the most you'll get besides an important hotfix to stop infinites. The fighting is extremely linear, doesn't appear like it at first glance, but literally it is a very rushdown friendly game. Almost too rushdown friendly, to the point where if I wanted a game like that I could just pop in GGXRD which at least gave me defensive mechanics to deal with it.

Some offline players like Gamer even just a page back says the game bored him, yet he won a local in Florida. I mean that has to say something, right? I don't hate the game, I do have fun with it in spots, but not everyone has a scene to go to right off the bat, my bus routes on my own busy street were cut because lol Metro Detroit lol Michigan, and it's a 45 minute drive when I got other health issues going on that need to be addressed. Mainly my teeth. So I was hoping the online would at least satisfy me.

I mean, I think it isn't a stretch that unless you play this game for money or work for the company, that you aren't really in love with what the game has to offer. I could easily see this game getting switched out by the time the next NRS title appears, though I won't be getting it day 1. Would rather them finally have a good netcode and stop shoehorning in movie characters, but the last thing is a slight gripe.

I really do not like this character roster for starters. Would much rather have a UMKX with some additional characters like Sareena and Smoke. To say this character roster is underwhelming would be an understatement. I didn't really care too much for the... Teen Titans of MK, the rest of the villains who work for Kotal seem like eventual replacements to long mainstays of the series and their origins aren't that explored (though I don't see F/T coming back, just a hunch). I also feel like with this roster they played it extremely safe. And apparently the whole "It's MK, characters don't stay dead!" myth is finally being debunked seeing as we're going into the third game of the second timeline where there are still characters dead except Jade as revenants, and all the villains look like total jobbers. Who knows where bae is, personally I think Tanya killed her, there's too many hints at it.

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Hard for me to say either way, as I'm still enjoying the game when I have time to play -- but the funny thing is, even when the gameplay was zoning-based, I still miss seeing matches like this:

You can tell that even though they're zoning, the minute adjustments in spacing, the patience, and the timing are all super important. Because it's not all massive damage 50/50's, you see a lot of those moments like SF4, where people are doing 10-15% chunks of damage at a time and it comes down to one last read which will win the match. Also like SF4, people are still playing footses the whole time while zoning, knowing that an improperly-spaced projectile can cost them the round.

At the same time, you can tell MKX is a lot faster and the level of play from top players is a lot higher now than it was in MK9. Although the run button is a nuissance on oki, it's definitely cool that it affects the spacing game becuase you have to be prepared for the fact that someone could be in your face within a second or two. The key is how to balance it so that people aren't directly in each others' face for 95% of every match.

Watching people constantly adjust their spacing, knowing that being off by a second or a hair means losing the advantage, is one of the things I enjoy most about fighting games, and it's one of the reasons why I like watching Ultra so much.

There's this trance-like state where both players are completely zoned in, focused on the distance between the two characters, watching for any little bit of movement, guessing what the opponent will do. I much prefer it to wondering whether someone is going to get 50/50 looped in the corner for the entire round.

Anyway, each game has its flaws, and these things are tricky to explain in words.

Last edited:

Airvidal

"You play weird" It's called being unorthodox ;)

Why would you be trying to AA your opponent though? Not to offend you but if you don't wanna get salty you gotta play it the right way.
And that's what I mean, losing is what's fun 'cause it means you're playing with the right people. But you win 8/10....I might wanna play you though

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
Hard for me to say either way, as I'm still enjoying the game when I have time to play -- but the funny thing is, even when the gameplay was zoning-based, I still miss seeing matches like this:

You can tell that even though they're zoning, the minute adjustments in spacing, the patience, and the timing are all super important. Because it's not all massive damage 50/50's, you see a lot of those moments like SF4, where people are doing 10-15% chunks of damage at a time and it comes down to one last read which will win the match.

At the same time, you can tell MKX is a lot faster and the level of play is a lot higher. Although the run button is a nuissance on oki, it's definitely cool that it affects the spacing game becuase you have to be prepared for the fact that someone could be in your face within a second or two. The key is how to balance it so that people aren't directly in each others' face for 95% of every match.

Watching people constantly adjust their spacing, knowing that being off by a second or a hair means losing the advantage, is one of the things I enjoy most about fighting games, and it's one of the reason why I like watching SF4 so much.

There's this trance-like state where both players are completely zoned in, focused on the distance between the two characters, watching for any little bit of movement, guessing what the opponent will do. I much prefer it to wondering where someone is going to get 50/50 looped in the corner for the entire round.

Anyway, each game has its flaws, and these things are tricky to explain in words.
And there definitely is that footsie/spacing element in MKX, it's just not as prominent as I personally would like it to be. There are definite flaws in each, dare I say it every fighter? Most often though I literally am playing Shinnok the same exact way against everyone, it doesn't feel like there is any MU or even player experience except with underused characters that I get to fight like Grandmaster Sub and... Jacqui is actually enjoyable to fight since she does seem very different. Everything else is just knowing where the gap is, when to armor out, when to poke, it's... It does become a bit monotonous after awhile but I definitely see what you're saying.

Airvidal

"You play weird" It's called being unorthodox ;)
Its not just about using defensive tools, its the fact that the vast majority of players online use offensive characters. It makes the playstyle linear and reptitive. In MK9, each match felt unique, since players always played differently, or each character required me to play a lot differently.
Not sure what you meant bro

cambros22

Stand Back I'm a Doctor!!!!!!
I've been playing many dif chars but after a week or two I switch to another one because it just stops being fun to me.
Subz and Kung Jin feel boring to me now, I had fun with Quan chi, and now I've been playing Kenshi for about a week and it still fun but not as much anymore. Cassie feels more fun, I'll practice her bnbs later.

I never felt this way about MK9, in fact I kinda miss playing it... Maybe it's because it lacks strong defensive tools? Maybe because its all about 50/50s? Idk what do you guys think?

Keep in mind I usually play long sets. 5-9hours straight!!![/QUOTE]

I can only say for myself that my interest has faded because I don't get to play enough high level players and my source for playing is online. I get frustrated when my execution and timing for punishes or opening players up is flawless offline, only to play online, hoping to get some good matches, and the players I play have bad connections. Every game goes with me making good reads and not being able to capitalize because of severe delays. Now when I do find players that are great, I dont even want to run long sets because it feels like a chore.

I can deal with dropped combos/punishes here or there but when I have scouted moves and prepare myself for punishes only to succumb to the inconsistencies of online, it makes me more frustrated than anything else; even when I'm winning matches.

I'm thinking ill just take a Hiatus and maybe in the next 2-6 months ill feel different about playing.

Saviorself

Noob Saibot
You realize this is exactly what people said about SonicFox before he started playing offline tourneys and MOPPED everyone, right? What you're saying has been objectively proven false. Online can be and is a fantastic indicator of offline skill. You should really go to school or something, maybe read a book. You don't make sense.
Another mad online warrior. Bringing in SonixFox, why again? Did he win his first major? He and his brother started to travel and thats when people took him seriously. He leveled up because of tournaments, not because of online play. I never even said online wasn't an indicator of offline skill.

Lets remind yourself of what you said.
I care about leveling up and being good at MKX, but what does that have to do with being a tournament player?Plenty of online warriors enjoy playing the game at a high level without feeling the need to go to tourneys.
Again, how can you play this game at a "high" level purely online? It's simply not possible. If you really "cared" about leveling up, you would desperately find ways to start playing offline.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Go back and read the OP. "I really like MKX".

Just not as fun as MK9, i dont feel the rush it did while playing good opponents. Maybe is because even though I can play rush down char I tend to play very defensive and this game is all about offense with very weak defensive tools.
My statement wasn't directed at you.

But if the game isn't FUN, stop playing.

Even to high level players, this is still just a hobby. No one is putting themselves through college off the FGC.

And no, i don't count Combo Breaker or CEO, as those are the exceptions, not the rule.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Here's another example from Injustice:

It gets better by the second game of the set, but it's the same thing -- as much as people wanted to talk about how Injustice is all 50/50's, you can see that people being opened up involves a ton of constant neutral game. In game 2, you can see how intense the spacing battle is, and how it requires a certain kind of discipline to land the hits that open someone up rather than run ---> 50/50 or run ->> 75% screen footsie tool that sometimes also doubles as 50/50.

Now while this may have been less so with Bane, not every character was Bane. In fact, most injustice characters weren't Bane. Be honest: what % of this match is 50/50, hard rushdown, and vortexes? Not nearly as much as people would have you believe.

This constant mix of zoning, footsies, the spacing game, combined with the danger in close is hypnotic to me. Can't get enough of it. It's constantly different from second to second.

That nailbiter back-and-forth sequence that happens at 8:59 is something you'll rarely see now.

Anyway, this isn't to state an opinion either way -- it's just interesting to look back at things in retrospective.

Last edited:

NoobSaibot

PSN: JP_THUNDA
I hate brain dead characters (Tanya, Erron Black, etc.) But as a Kano main since day one and I wouldn't call losing because I guessed wrong "fun." Even if I outplay my opponent the second they get their offense going I'm basically fucked. This game is pretty dissapointing IMO

Pound IC

Noob
Another mad online warrior. Bringing in SonixFox, why again? Did he win his first major? He and his brother started to travel and thats when people took him seriously. He leveled up because of tournaments, not because of online play. I never even said online wasn't an indicator of offline skill.

Lets remind yourself of what you said.

Again, how can you play this game at a "high" level purely online? It's simply not possible. If you really "cared" about leveling up, you would desperately find ways to start playing offline.
But why would a tournament player who achieves nothing have a more valid opinion than an online warrior? Just because you travel to tourneys only to lose doesn't mean you're somehow better at the game or understand it more.

If you don't think you can play this game at a high level online I really don't know what to say to you. Is it a coincidence that the best ESL placers are generally great tourney players too? Seems to be a pretty high correlation between online and offline ability.

Saviorself

Noob Saibot
But why would a tournament player who achieves nothing have a more valid opinion than an online warrior? Just because you travel to tourneys only to lose doesn't mean you're somehow better at the game or understand it more.

If you don't think you can play this game at a high level online I really don't know what to say to you. Is it a coincidence that the best ESL placers are generally great tourney players too? Seems to be a pretty high correlation between online and offline ability.
Again, you can't make a valid argument without having someone to blame or attack. Notable ESL placers are, guess what, mostly known tournament players first and foremost. I'm not even saying online isn't a good place for practice. You said, I quote again
Plenty of online warriors enjoy playing the game at a high level without feeling the need to go to tourneys.
Which is complete and utter BS, which this little argument is about.

Pound IC

Noob
Again, you can't make a valid argument without having someone to blame or attack. Notable ESL placers are, guess what, mostly known tournament players first and foremost. I'm not even saying online isn't a good place for practice. You said, I quote again

Which is complete and utter BS, which this little argument is about.
You do realize that you haven't ONCE said why it's complete and utter BS. You just state your opinion as if it's fact with nothing to back it up. You can absolutely play the game at a high level online. People do it in every fighting game. I don't know why you can't accept that online play can be high level. Attending a tournament doesn't all of the sudden give you magical leveling-up powers. I'm sure it's a great place to learn and meet fun people to hang out with, but it's not the end-all-be-all of fighting game ability.

Oh, and off topic, the image in your signature is broken or something.

Rampage254

Ayy Lmao
It's hard for me to get bored, because I rarely get to play with other players. Every time I'm on, no one on my friend list is on, or they ignore my invite when I send one. I hate playing against randoms in the lobbies so I avoid that.
So I either just sit in practice mode and hope someone gets on and sends me an invite, or I just play something else.