What's new

The MKX at Combo Breaker 2015 Hype and Updates Thread

BROJOB

Noob
There is no way to "secure the network" from the endpoint. Any attack with sufficient volume to clog a hotel's pipes is going to create issues you can't mitigate post-arrival.

It's not like the hotel is sitting at a Tier 1 node with tons of throughput to spare. They are in the ballroom at the Crowne Plaza.

And I doubt any hotel you asked to modify their entire internet setup would acquiesce. You are confusing DDoS protection of a customer-facing website hosted with a DNS, with trying to mitigate an attack from the endpoint, at a hotel.

That's why you get a venue that has the capability for cross-connects and use GRE tunnels to route in-out traffic through a DDoS protect network. The network could have been setup to have zero points of failure, but the skimped on it and hoped for the best, and it didn't work out. A hotel has what, maybe T1 internet at best? I'm not sure how people running the event didn't envision something like this happening, but it was really poorly ran. From scheduling delays, to security and stability issues, this shouldn't be happening and it doesn't happen at well run events like E3 and EVO, sports streams, etc. It's a really amateur way to run things how they did, and people will take them about as serious as that.

And now the tournament director is threatening to sue the ISP for HIS incompetence? Lol that's so laughable. ISP's have EULA's and uptime agreements for a reason. That dude is just trying to save face and put blame on the ISP for his incompetence.

E

Eldriken

I was watching the stream yesterday when it went down the first time. ONE guy posted the ip of the hotel AFTER it went down, and claimed he did it. It spread as rumor from there. Nowhere has any organizer, streamer, or credible source claimed that a DDoS happened, and in fact, spooky and callisto repeatedly have said it's not a DDoS, it's other problems related to the venue Internet.

These rumours are getting a little ridiculous....

Also, hi. First post here after lurking for quite a while.
My mistake. I was just going by what I saw on Twitter that someone posted from the venue. Thanks for clearing it up. :D

And hello!

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
That's why you get a venue that has the capability for cross-connects and use GRE tunnels to route in-out traffic through a DDoS protect network. The network could have been setup to have zero points of failure, but the skimped on it and hoped for the best, and it didn't work out. A hotel has what, maybe T1 internet at best? I'm not sure how people running the event didn't envision something like this happening, but it was really poorly ran. From scheduling delays, to security and stability issues, this shouldn't be happening and it doesn't happen at well run events like E3 and EVO, sports streams, etc. It's a really amateur way to run things how they did, and people will take them about as serious as that.

And now the tournament director is threatening to sue the ISP for HIS incompetence? Lol that's so laughable. ISP's have EULA's and uptime agreements for a reason. That dude is just trying to save face and put blame on the ISP for his incompetence.
So which venue in Chicacgo could that be? Were they available on the tournament dates? Was it within the tournament budget? Did their rules and protocols, and the available space lend themselves to this type of event?

I would venture that you don't know much about running FGC events at all if you're taking this simplistic of an outlook.

And that's on top of the fact that this was never confirmed to be a DDoS.

BROJOB

Noob
Ok, how many convention centers (most of which are in hotels) do you know of that have advanced DDOS protection? Or, to look at it from the opposite direction, how many places with advanced DDOS protection are 1) available for public events, and 2) large enough to hold a well-attended convention?
Chicago, New York, LA, San Francisco, Atlanta, etc. all have convention centers capable of this. It's just a matter of doing actual research and preparation instead of being ill-prepared. I mean, lets be honest, they're at a hotel in Chicago because it was one of the cheapest options available, and look what happened. If I was wrong, the stream would be up right now.

red team gone

blue team go!
FYI, spooky just said in the chat on his KI stream that the hotel internet's still down, but he has a separate line now, which is why he's up. Since he's the one streaming the MKX finals tonight, we might be ok.
This... This is finally good good news. The finals stream may be saved from this mess...

E

Eldriken

FYI, spooky just said in the chat on his KI stream that the hotel internet's still down, but he has a separate line now, which is why he's up. Since he's the one streaming the MKX finals tonight, we might be ok.
Thank fucking God! This might be the best news we've gotten today.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Chicago, New York, LA, San Francisco, Atlanta, etc. all have convention centers capable of this. It's just a matter of doing actual research and preparation instead of being ill-prepared. I mean, lets be honest, they're at a hotel in Chicago because it was one of the cheapest options available, and look what happened. If I was wrong, the stream would be up right now.
If you're talking about renting a convention center hall, plus techs to do the setup, on the budget they had to run this event, this discussion is over.

You should be barking up MLG's tree and not firing shots at grassroots TO's.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
Also anyway I have a question regarding SonicFox's match with Trepound

If Tre goes to the character select screen to give himself time to think after losing a match, is Sonic actually allowed to spam select his character to throw him off or can he tell a TO to tell him not to do that? Not saying it did, but it really did seem like Sonic was trying to rush him into a decision. Then again, he was trying to listen to the crowd for advice. *shrug*
You would think, but since he's just a "kid" people let him get away with everything anyway.

I'm sure you're right. I mean, obviously conventions get DDOS'ed often enough that the centers have to protect themselves. Lots of people on the internet hate the kind of groups that regularly use convention centers, like the US Association of Contract Administrators or Book Publishers of America.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
Here's my thing.

As an adult, the best defense against a kid is to ignore him. Things like teabagging, spamming character select etc don't mean anything to me. I just shrug and keep it moving. He doesn't seem to be very sportsmanlike but whatever.
All true, it just sucks that one of the best players in our scene prides himself on being so obnoxious.

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
Here's my thing.

As an adult, the best defense against a kid is to ignore him. Things like teabagging, spamming character select etc don't mean anything to me. I just shrug and keep it moving. He doesn't seem to be very sportsmanlike but whatever.
You're absolutely right, but in the heat of the moment like that, I have never seen that ever in any shape or form in competitive play. I was actually VERY surprised Sonic did that. He never does it in his 3D tournaments or in SG. I know he doesn't really like Trepound but... I guess what I'm trying to say is, The fursuits and teabagging is whatever, but I should at least be given the time to think clearly.

heat-

Noob
That brojob guy is really making us tym newscrubs look terrible. The funniest part to me was when he started talking about how they're losing so much money in ad revenue. 90% of viewers use adblock(myself included). Where is the ad revenue then? No TO in ANY GAME considers ad revenue as their primary revenue source(if they are, their business model is heavily flawed).

Anyway, more on topic; It's a shame that there have been internet issues all weekend, but the streams that have been able to get through have been high quality and extremely entertaining. I just hope the backlash of stream monsters doesn't influence the decision on whether or not to hold another event, because from what I've heard from friends at the actual event, it's been one of the best events they've attended.

Yes, he's a kid, but I agree with everyone saying it's inappropriate. Is there anyone in the scene that he respects and/or looks up to? It seems like the only way to get the point across would be for someone like that to take him aside in a mentor type way, point out the poor sportsmanship, and clue him in to the fact that it makes him look pretty bad. That said, he kind of strikes me as the type who wouldn't listen to someone he looks down on, and since he's the best right now, he's likely to look down on everyone.

I mean, I don't care a bit about the furry stuff and having a mascot or whatever, but the tea bagging and other sportsmanship issues look pretty bad and make HIM look pretty bad, too.