What's new

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 General Discussion

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
I disagree. From my albeit limited understanding of the game, Mishimas require excellent spacing and execution, neither of which I currently have. It would slow down my learning and frustrate me more than anything.

There already seems to be an influx of players that think just because they can do an EWGF that they will auto win.
Being good at Tekken or any fighter requires spacing and execution.

Practice makes perfect however so stuff like just frames and combos and execution takes time, but spacing and reading take experience.
Picking a top tier character is playing to win, and if you are just starting out with Tekken and have a hard time winning then pick a top tier character and you already have a head start on people who are low tier warriors, and your experience will be more rewarding in the end when they all drop off their bottom feeder mains to learn better characters.

Something i know from tag 1 is that if you have a hard time finding a partner, picking someone who is fundamentally solid like a mishima, will level up your game as well as giving you something to fall back on when shit hits the fan. Everyone needs a pocket mishima, no exceptions.

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
Being good at Tekken or any fighter requires spacing and execution.

Practice makes perfect however so stuff like just frames and combos and execution takes time, but spacing and reading take experience.
Picking a top tier character is playing to win, and if you are just starting out with Tekken and have a hard time winning then pick a top tier character and you already have a head start on people who are low tier warriors, and your experience will be more rewarding in the end when they all drop off their bottom feeder mains to learn better characters.

Something i know from tag 1 is that if you have a hard time finding a partner, picking someone who is fundamentally solid like a mishima, will level up your game as well as giving you something to fall back on when shit hits the fan. Everyone needs a pocket mishima, no exceptions.
Funnily enough Aris just summed up pretty much what I wanted to say just as I read this post

43:14

Again, I'm far from being an expert so could be way off but the general consensus seems to be that yes, Mishimas are top tier, but they require complete dedication and therefore cannot be played as a pocket character seriously.

Flagg

Noob
Trepound380, i swear, what is up with these servers?

Anywho, unlike MK or SF where im all pure rush down, i find myself in Tekken being more of a punisher, trying to bide my time and punish. King has some decent standing kick normals. I think im leaning more toward Armor King than Jaycee now, plus ive customised these two to look like the Legion of Doom for the lols. Im not sure, but his UF 1+2 seems to give him a LOT of frame advantage on block, I tend to be able to follow up with Df 2, 1 and it usually always trumps someone trying to punish the UF 1+2. More and more, im finding what works and doesnt work with King and im just trying to adapt A.King accordingly.

In short I play Tekken more as a counter puncher right now.

YOMI Trepound380

Tranquil Anarchy
hmmm well i think your partner char should be someone that has great punishes mixed with good rushdown to combine both fundamentals from tekken and other games

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Heihachi is ridiculously good. I tried to pick up Kazya, because I thought I could play him the way I play Heihachi, but Kazya is soooo fkn hard to use correctly.

I'll stick with him for some time though to see if I can ever learn to use him correctly. I am definitely sticking with Heihachi/Bryan/Jinpachi/Bruce for good though.

Crathen

Death is my business
Patch Notes:

- The practice mode record function glitch was not fixed. When recording yourself canceling a stance and blocking, the character is still unable to block for about 20 frames after the cancel no matter what the real recovery is (i.e., recording Lei's u/f+3 into CRN~d/b~B will not block most moves in Practice mode, but blocks everything in a real fight).

- Decal customization has been added

- Load times for customized characters on the selection screen is MUCH faster (PS3 version)

- You still can not de-delect your character with O if you change your mind after hitting X, but you can still do it after picking your character with [] (PS3 version). The faster load times means that selecting with [] can be your default selection button just so that you can hit O to go back.

- Position setting was adjusted in P-Mode. If you choose current position and hit Select+X, the game will simply make both characters face each other at their current position. Before it would randomly put you somewhere near your current spot. It still does not remember where you activated the feature so you can return to that exact spot every time. It is only good for staying in a second area of a breakable stage; I don't know any other use for it.

- Access to the online store added (PSN version checked).

- Tekken Theater added to the gallery. It has (locked) opening and ending movies for Tekken 1, 2, 3 and TTT.

- Sebastian, Slim Bob and Miharu DLC characters added (free)

- Four stages added (hit /\ for the missing stage, PS3 version)

- World Arena added. Pick a region (i.e. North America) and a server to join a lot of people is in a big, single lobby to chat, challenge each other, or volunteer to play randoms (it shows you the connection and disconnect rate before a match starts if you want to reject an opponent). You can even create your own sub-lobby.

- Kuni can't duck mids

- Ancient Ogre near a wall can not kick to infinity and beyond

And first glitch in sight:

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Patch Notes:

-
- Ancient Ogre near a wall can not kick to infinity and beyond

And first glitch in sight:
Did they reduce the hitstun on the mid or something? I tried it again just now and it still seems to jail with no pushback.. I've only tried it in practice tho, I have someone coming over later and I'll see if they can block it

And I new there'd be a problem with the new batch of DLC characters.. this is why I said they should take their time and roll em out once each update.. smh

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
So as far as DLC goes, no one know for sure when the other characters will be out?
No idea...but to be completely honest...they can take their time. We're getting this shit for free. :)

Also, we need to do some Arena lobbies sometime soon on the 360 side. Would be cool to get a bunch of people from the site on.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
No idea...but to be completely honest...they can take their time. We're getting this shit for free. :)

Also, we need to do some Arena lobbies sometime soon on the 360 side. Would be cool to get a bunch of people from the site on.
this I would enjoy. I felt like I learned how to practice the game by playing you and Foxy.
Not these 10 hit combo fools. (you know who you are). :)

THTB

this I would enjoy. I felt like I learned how to practice the game by playing you and Foxy.
Not these 10 hit combo fools. (you know who you are). :)
Yeah, I need to play with Foxy in general. I haven't had much time to do anything gaming-wise for some time.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Trepound380, i swear, what is up with these servers?

Anywho, unlike MK or SF where im all pure rush down, i find myself in Tekken being more of a punisher, trying to bide my time and punish. King has some decent standing kick normals. I think im leaning more toward Armor King than Jaycee now, plus ive customised these two to look like the Legion of Doom for the lols. Im not sure, but his UF 1+2 seems to give him a LOT of frame advantage on block, I tend to be able to follow up with Df 2, 1 and it usually always trumps someone trying to punish the UF 1+2. More and more, im finding what works and doesnt work with King and im just trying to adapt A.King accordingly.

In short I play Tekken more as a counter puncher right now.
King is not a good point character.
AK is a not a mishima but he is. He has the more fundamental approach to the game.... setups and punishing. His pokes are ass so you basically need to learn that backdashing after blocking stuff that is not punishable is your best bet. If you aren't using his GS to make people duck then you won't get good damage out of him. If you can't do GS (i can't from the P1 side well) then do Tombstone. 58 damage is godlike for a single throw that is easy as piss to do.

King is literally used to finish people off. Think this ... AK lands a Dark Upper... tag out... King does his f2, 2 f1 b2 1+2 B! AK filler SW. Thats 95 damage with red health taken. If you land ONE good chain throw... they die. That is how I play him. He isn't a good fundamental character. Most of his pokes don't lead into anything. Basically I bait people to either throw out a low so he can hopkick it... or I just wait for an opportunity to land sometype of chain throw.

edit: backward Jaguar Step to punish a tag crash is godlike btw. 128 damage chain throw off that.

THTB

AK is definately a great character in TTT2 , i was talking to Xeon a friend of mine ( you can watch his AK/DJ here , he got 2nd ) and we agreed that he benefits a lot from the tag mechanics and his newfound great move b4 1+2 , safe long range mid great damage+oki
I think I'd do better with AK if I could consistently do b4:1+2.

Crathen

Death is my business
I think I'd do better with AK if I could consistently do b4:1+2.
Trust me , it's worth mastering , b4 is pratically unpunishable thanks to the range , then since he can't crouch block you can use all of his tools ( cd+1 is tits at the wall ) , cd+4 has huge damage , his throws are damn good , 3+4 HC on rawtags covers so much range and it's faster than uf+1+2 wich has to be done by guessing , iSW end followed by WD mixups ( wich is actually safer oki game than air GS ender ) , the shoulder b+1+2 wich is crazy easy whiff punisher with huge range / dmg , his DU is taggable so redlife can't be recovered , his poking game isn't the best but his oki is good too. This is just his basic shit lol

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Okay yeah, you can definitely block after the mids in A.Ogre's infinity kicks now.

So as far as DLC goes, no one know for sure when the other characters will be out?
By the end of the year I'd guess. I still wanna know what's up with these classic Tekken tunes and movies lol

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
So is this where all the MK9 Tekken players are hanging???

Some people should hit me up. Lets throw down. I haven't played since T5: DR but I'm back now and enjoying the game despite extremely limited playtime. Skkra on PSN! I'm east coast.

I'm currently playing Lili/Zafina. Lili is my favorite of all time, and Zafina was the character I enjoyed the most for the 10 minutes I bothered playing Tekken 6. I may switch to Lili/Sebastian tonight, but word is he's a shitpile, so we'll see. I may play him anyways out of principle hahaha.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
Oh yeah, also, I'm starting to read back through this thread... I see a lot of people having difficulties getting started... some words...

A lot of people are saying this game is difficult. It IS difficult. There are a lot of people out there who will say it's not - they're wrong. They probably forget the countless hours they've put into the game. If I hadn't been playing since Tekken 3, I certainly wouldn't bother to play this game. The time investment is gargantuan if you want to be good - don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Simply learning to how move, space, poke, sidestep, block, or get up effectively can take a long time to properly develop. Once you have that, you can start learning all of the setups for all of the characters. Everyone has their own arsenal of tricks, setups, frame traps, wall traps, etc.

If you want to be good at Tekken, prepare to put a LOT of time into it. Unlike in MK9 where learning a new character can take weeks or months, in Tekken, gaining serious proficiency with some of the harder characters literally takes years of practice and playing.

All that said, it's a deep and incredible game that I have sunk literally 1000's of hours into over the years. But there's a reason why it doesn't generally appeal to mainstream/casual gamers! Rough learning curve.

Crathen

Death is my business
^ I agree , some things i want to add:
1 some may think Tekken is has a slow flow , in reallity it's quite the opposite , playing at a good level means to always be precise in your inputs and also be fast , the level of mindgames that can be done in 1 second are really a lot.

2 Execution always matters here , just properly moving is something to practice , buffering , iWR , moves out of wavedashing even holding back to block is something that counts. A lot.

3 That said the amount of knowledge about setups / strings / properly defending&punish you can study in this game is huge and it takes hella time just to memorize in your hands , this means plenty of time needed to just properly play a MU and i can't stress how many characters are in this game lol

BlackBryan

B*tch Distributor
All you've gotta do to start is understand the following:

- Movement
- Your characters best whiff punishers
- Your characters frame data, how to use it to create setups
- Safe moves
- Quick lows etc

Dont worry yourself about how to punish X character or how to fight against Y character so early. By doing all these so far I've become able to take games off of Sakishiro and when I played Ryan Hart it kept going to the wire.

It helps being beaten up anyway, the more you play the more you'll begin to recognise characters strings and playstyles etc. As well as how to get around them

You cant learn this game in an hour like MK.
For noobs to TTT2, such as myself, the main problem in playing online is that Tekken, for the most part, never changes. So you have vets that pick up the game and have an arsenal to work with day one because every character plays the same as the last game. Don't let that discourage you from playing, though. I've picked ttt2 up as a second game. Its my first 3d fighter since MK tried it back in the day, and the money in it its huge compared to most other fighting games in New Mexico. I can honestly say that working on the foundations that foxy stated has made me into a somewhat legit player, and the only way to go from here is up. Don't drop a game because its hard. Hard means you're learning new skills that will help in every game you play from here on out.