What's new

Tekken 7 General Discussion Thread - OP Updated With All Tekken Info

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I love guest characters, I love Akuma.

Everything you said about Akuma being in this game is the same with the guest in MKX, but this situation is factually worse if you dislike guest characters(or Akuma specifically) or guest characters changing your lore.

This isn't my gripe, this is just me disagreeing that MKX handles guests worse.

Whether you think the story is good or messy or whatever is subjective, some people say the same about MK's story. Whether you think there is enough true Tekken character representation is subjective. I think that about MKX and the MK characters included. Whether or not this is positive in any light is entirely subjective.

Purely describing both situations and looking at them logically and factually. In one you are forced to endure(Akuma is a part of the base game), and the other you have an option not to(MKX DLC is optional content that comes after the base game). Being forced is worse if you indeed do not like guests. And Akuma isn't replacing anyone, he's filling a spot in the limited initial roster space.

That is my entire point. This isn't me saying "NO AKUMA" or "GUESTS ARE BAD". I preach for guests up and down this site all the time. But I know how to look at things from both sides as well.
Tekken and MK are not in the same situation. You are forced to endure guest characters in both games. Unless you plan on playing offline by yourself or having a rule of never playing against a guest character when you play with anyone else. The thing is right now Tekken is using a fighting game character from a different series. This is way more geared toward providing fighting game fans something cool. NRS's guests have been movie cashouts and Kratos. Kratos was the only tolerable guest imo. Ever since Freddy turned out to be the biggest seller in MK9. Everyone knows that guest characters are just cash grabs. Instead of trying to use the appeal of the tons of MK character's they could do. They opt to cash in on someone's fandom over a movie. Not the actual fans of the franchise who will continue to play it. Another difference is that Tekken Akuma is free. I'd take free Fighting game character guest over movie guest that costs x amount of dollars.

Tekken's handling of a guest is better than NRS's handling. We will be getting more characters besides Akuma. Upon hearing this announcement no one is worried about missing out on faves (unless of course they have already been replaced). Only way I see someone like one of the Williams sisters not making it in if Namco gives Anna or Nina a daughter or niece or something. While everyone here on TYM is scared they might have to wait 5+ years to see a fave that didn't make it into MKx.

I will say at least Freddy and Jason and Kratos have some mysticism. Less though for Jason since he has a setting. I guess Alien and Predator come from a world dimension. Leatherface is just a dude with a chainsaw.

Akuma's Satsui no Hadou fighting the Devil Gene. Two similar power trait things that have been played with before.

Again, Akuma is free. Leatherface, Alien Baraka (Literally replacing a lore character), Freddy, Jason, Predator are not. That right there gives Tekken a slight lead in better guests.

Last edited:

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
So I'm just going to keep arguing with people who form rebuttals using subjective opinions? What is thought and not what is.

Akuma isn't free, he's a part of the game, when you buy the game you buy everything, every character in it. That's like saying the buns are are free on a hamburger. You bought the whole thing and every individual part that comes with it. DLC is extra and optional, like adding bacon to that hamburger.

The importance of how similar or genre relevant he is completely subjective. If you don't like guests, those things don't matter. If you don't like Akuma or street fighter, those things don't matter. If you don't like any other number of things that come with this announcement, it doesn't matter.

We don't know how long we'll have to wait(they could be pushed to DLC, they could be pushed to a third expansion) or if some of the non-revealed characters will even end up being in T7's console release.

Kuma, Alex/Roger, Bob, Miguel, Zafina, Lei, Capos, Changs, Ganryu, Dr. B, Wang, True Ogre, Anna/Nina, Raven, Kunimitsu, Jinpachi, and Lee are all characters who aren't in the game right now and don't have replacements. The odds of every single one of them making it to initial release are unknown to any of us, but we have Akuma filling a slot.

Realistically speaking a character could very well be left out for +5 years until TTT3.

Point still stands. If you are a person who doesn't like guests, Akuma is a worse handling of it.

Has nothing to do with who is a better character or who fits more.

Last edited:

WidowPuppy

Attack pekingese
So I'm just going to keep arguing with people who form rebuttals using subjective opinions? What is thought and not what is.

Akuma isn't free, he's a part of the game, when you buy the game you buy everything, every character in it. That's like saying the buns are are free on a hamburger. You bought the whole thing and every individual part that comes with it. DLC is extra and optional, like adding bacon to that hamburger.

The importance of how similar or genre relevant he is completely subjective. If you don't like guests, those things don't matter. If you don't like Akuma or street fighter, those things don't matter. If you don't like any other number of things that come with this announcement, it doesn't matter.

We don't know how long we'll have to wait(they could be pushed to DLC, they could be pushed to a third expansion) or if some of the non-revealed characters will even end up being in T7's console release.

Kuma, Alex/Roger, Bob, Miguel, Zafina, Lei, Capos, Changs, Ganryu, Dr. B, Wang, True Ogre, Anna/Nina, Raven, Kunimitsu, Jinpachi, and Lee are all characters who aren't in the game right now and don't have replacements. The odds of every single one of them making it to initial release are unknown to any of us, but we have Akuma filling a slot.

Realistically speaking a character could very well be left out for +5 years until TTT3.

Point still stands. If you are a person who doesn't like guests, Akuma is a worse handling of it.

Has nothing to do with who is a better character or who fits more.
I hear your point of view Pterodactyl because I was initially upset with the addition of Lucky Chloe, and the fact that from what we see in her moveset... She looks like she's replacing one of my fav characters, Unlucky Christie, and possibly even the iconic Eddie and the Capo style all together.

But, I don't have to use her. And... I will have to fight her. She's in the game, part of the story, part of the Tekken world. And now... So is Gouki, with what seems like even more of an important role in the T7FR plot.

As far as your statement on not having to face DLC characters... Ummm, if we're playing online [Which is what I look forward to doing with T7FR] this can not be avoided, and there is no choice in the matter.

I believe even if this were to upset any fans, something like this needed to be done. One giant step in the right direction for increasing the popularity of the Tekken series. A great lead story wise towards Tekken X Street Fighter [Or whatever they call it]

Anyone who does not like Akuma will be happy to face a bunch of new players attracted to the game because of his inclusion.

Also now that it is obvious that this second version of T7 has been planned for quite some time. I would not worry about certain favorites being excluded. Makes more sense actually to save some of the more popular characters towards the end of the T7FR time release schedule to keep shit hype.

No?

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
If akuma came out after console release there would be NO extra charge. He and every character added before and after console release will be free. Tekken is a burger and bacon is free here.

If you plain don't like guests, then yeah any mention of a guest is bad. But I have seen comments about how a fighting game guest is more acceptable then cheesy movie monster.

One character isn't pushing the console release to some unforeseen date. Any characters that are revealed after console release will just be free. Namco usually releases it after the named update. I'm expecting a early 2017/late 2016. If not and it's even later, meh nacmo is consistent in fucking it up in modern times. Akuma wouldn't be the sole reason for it.

Some of those characters were left out of Tekken 6, 5, 4. TTTs seem to be Namco's Unlimited Match. Some character's just aren't popular enough to make it. Heck some popular characters probably won't make it as pointed out by @WidowPuppy.

The one bad point I could actually blame on akuma's inclusion is that time and resources being used on one more Tekken character.

But which one do you think players would be more pissed at? If you HAD to have a guest character? Tekken including a movie character that isn't even a fighter and has no business being in the tournament? Or an actual fighter, one from the most popular fighting game franchise out right now? Would you want a free character (which means you can learn the character because you'd have access to him/her in training)? Or would you want the character to cost money?

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust

CaptainCM

Certified trash
Personally, I never cared about Tekken story/lore, so Akuma being shoved in there doesn't matter to me. But if Akuma can turn barely 300 people for TTT2 at EVO into 600+ for T7:FR, I'm all for it.
And Jesus Christ, finally, new default costumes that are awesome! Most of the cast had the same defaults since T5! I don't even need to use customizations if Bryan and Dragunov look this badass.

Now, I wonder if anyone would still give a shit about any of that dope stuff, when the game releases next fall at best. :(

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I wonder if they'll manage to cram the last 17 non-clone characters into the game before console release.

At least I hope so, Tekken characters are so unique and intricate that once you find the one you like the most you get super attached to them and their moveset. Tekken is a very character centric game so leaving even one character out without a proper replacement will disappoint thousands no matter what.

I wonder who they'll decide to leave out and how they chose them.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I wonder if they'll manage to cram the last 17 non-clone characters into the game before console release.

At least I hope so, Tekken characters are so unique and intricate that once you find the one you like the most you get super attached to them and their moveset. Tekken is a very character centric game so leaving even one character out without a proper replacement will disappoint thousands no matter what.

I wonder who they'll decide to leave out and how they chose them.
The only thing I'm sure about is that some of the new characters have replaced old ones. I'd bet the bank that Marduk is out due to Gigas, Bruce is out due to Josie, etc. So if you're a fan of those "replaced" characters you either have to like the replacement or you're assed out. Or characters like Dr. B who were clear TTT2 adds only. Doubles will be gone too like Tiger Jax, Slim Bob, etc.

If they're really serious about the 35-36 man console release roster, then it's impossible for everyone to make the game this time when there are already 28. If I had to guess I'd say-

- Lei or a new character replicating his style(because no way they let that fighting style go)
-Nina
-Julia
-Bob
-Mokujin or Combot

are pretty definite to make it. While

-Baek-
-Marduk
-Capos
-Bruce
-Roger/Alex

are all but confirmed out. That would leave a maximum of 3 spots available to be filled be some order of Wang, Anna, Ganyru, Lee, Zafina, Miguel, Kuma, and Kunimitsu. That's where it gets tricky. Hard to pick a concrete 3 out of the remaining options that will likely get in.

Last edited:

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Why would Raven be "confirmed" out? His style is very cool and unique, he's generally well liked, his rival is in the game, and he doesn't have a replacement.

I'd say of those unknown 3 spots it'll probably be Raven, Kuma(they have to have an animal, it's tradition at this point), and Lee.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Why would Raven be "confirmed" out? His style is very cool and unique, he's generally well liked, his rival is in the game, and he doesn't have a replacement.

I'd say of those unknown 3 spots it'll probably be Raven, Kuma, and Lee.
Oh shit haha no that was a mistake! I dunno why that's there. About to edit now.

I think Lee is the least likely though. Some of his moves seem to be spread out between Shaheen and Katarina. Not on a replacement level but a few of them are clear copy moves. Worries me. Anna too. They're all still a toss up though. I wish it was up to 40 chars so it won't be as many left out but I guess that'll be next game.