What's new

General/Other - Tanya Tanya SHOULD be normalized.

What do you think about the normalizations?

• Total voters

SEV

Noob
I think the only change she needs is to just slightly increase the number of frames it takes for her to teleport from point A to point B, but again, only slightly; other properties, other than maybe invincibility frames, don't need to be touched.

The problem seems to be that she can move backwards too quickly. It takes other characters stamina to back dash to be able to cover horizontal distances backwards quickly, which means they can only make a drastic backwards movement twice within a short amount of time, where Tanya constantly forces you to cover a lot of ground while being ready to react to her. And to be able to catch her, because of how much ground she can cover quickly, the opponent needs to use a lot stamina too to run in, so when she finally does stop running, you'll almost never have the stamina to break if she opens you up, or for combos depending on your character if you open her up.

She should only be able to teleport once when within string range of her opponent, without spending meter(MB teleport to regular teleport), but allowing enough time for back teleport to back dash for a F2 whiff punish to be a viable strategy against most buttons.

If that's possible, I think she would fit into the games mechanics a lot more. Other than that maybe Kobu Jutsu could use a few more recovery frames on her projectile; with the range of her F2 and current recovery, it functions too well as a keep away tool when that variations design seems to be rush down/mix up oriented.

omooba

fear the moobs
She's probably going to get nerfed, but please don't make it drastic. As it is, she's an exciting character - and I don't want that to be taken away.
Please make it drastic like make her
The only issues with Tanya are with her teleport having armor randomly and invincibility frames. Keep away teleport is fine and pressure teleports are fine
Do u agree that she has the best keep away game? And her pressure is top 5 or top 3. And she has a lot of mix ups and has the best wake up game in every fighting game ever? But she still doesn't need to be normalized

SEV

Noob
They only used her some.

MIT and deg are only ones who may have gone whole way with her.
Not involved with your guys' argument but if anything that information should be more damning towards Tanya than anything else.

It's essentially saying people that don't even have extensive experience main'ing her have pulled her out over their mains to win. And some of those matches were just stupid. Don't remember who else Tyrant lost to, if it was either DEG or MIT but I know he lost both times to Tanya, but REO pulled her out and made Tyrant look like a ranked room random. And I know he may not have the match up experience but still, I would think Tyrant would at least be good enough to put up fight despite not knowing a match up, and he got mopped silly.

omooba

fear the moobs
Not involved with your guys' argument but if anything that information should be more damning towards Tanya than anything else.

It's essentially saying people that don't even have extensive experience main'ing her have pulled her out over their mains to win. And some of those matches were just stupid. Don't remember who else Tyrant lost to, if it was either DEG or MIT but I know he lost both times to Tanya, but REO pulled her out and made Tyrant look like a ranked room random.
I'm a jax main like tyrant and to be honest I couldn't see what he was doing wrong. I was just crying at home

SEV

Noob
I'm a jax main like tyrant and to be honest I couldn't see what he was doing wrong. I was just crying at home
Truthfully, and in hindsight, it might just be a bad MU for heavy weapons since his projectile is negative on block. Jax might need the projectile that gives him advantage on block in that MU.

It would have either forced her to stop at some point to block, to which Tyrant could slowly start making his way in, or forced her to teleport to avoid it, to which, again, Tyrant could move in.

But bad MU aside, I'm still surprised at how one sided the matches were.

omooba

fear the moobs
Truthfully, and in hindsight, it might just be a bad MU for heavy weapons since his projectile is negative on block. Jax might need the projectile that gives him advantage on block in that MU.

It would have either forced her to stop at some point to block, to which Tyrant could slowly start making his way in, or forced her to teleport to avoid it, to which, again, Tyrant could move in.

But bad MU aside, I'm still surprised at how one sided the matches were.
I use heavy weapons the least so I can tell u that this match up is terrible regardless of variation.
If he switch variation it would've been worse because of her insane armored moves. Everytime jax does the purple lazer she can ex teleport to hit or start her own pressure. She's just too godlike, talking about her is depressing

I use heavy weapons the least so I can tell u that this match up is terrible regardless of variation.
If he switch variation it would've been worse because of her insane armored moves. Everytime jax does the purple lazer she can ex teleport to hit or start her own pressure. She's just too godlike, talking about her is depressing
What insane armor moves? You mean EX Drill, which is extremely punishable on block, or EX flip, which is also extremely punishable on block?

SEV

Noob
That would be a terrible use... I was suggesting using it at a range to make your way in, not when she's close enough to punish you...

Saying stuff like this discredits the argument for her needing tweaks.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart

It's essentially saying people that don't even have extensive experience main'ing her have pulled her out over their mains to win. And some of those matches were just stupid. Don't remember who else Tyrant lost to, if it was either DEG or MIT but I know he lost both times to Tanya, but REO pulled her out and made Tyrant look like a ranked room random. And I know he may not have the match up experience but still, I would think Tyrant would at least be good enough to put up fight despite not knowing a match up, and he got mopped silly.
Thats not what he said. He said they couldnt even use Tanya all the way through because certain people were shutting their Tanyas down. REO and Sonic both went back to Erron at points, although I think Deg and MIT stuck with Tanya the whole way.

The only new Tanya main in the top 8 is REO. Sonic, MIT, and Deg have all been playing her since release, and MIT and Deg have been maining her since then as well.

Do u agree that she has the best keep away game? And her pressure is top 5 or top 3. And she has a lot of mix ups and has the best wake up game in every fighting game ever? But she still doesn't need to be normalized
I want to address these points:

She does have the best keepaway in the game but its not like she has much competition. Kenshi and Quan are the only other zoners who have been considered to be viable playing a strictly zoning playstyle. I also want to mention again that this community has been crying for months about how the game is too rushdown oriented...and is now crying about a zoning variation.

Her pressure in Kobu is probably top 5 against some characters but not others. Her frametraps dont work on half the cast(Ex Tonfa Toss) and although she can end strings into teleport cancel opponents can armor through or start their own offense afterwards. The main reason she is so good offensively is because her chip damage is insane, but this is nothing new when looking at FF Liu Kang, Tempest KL, or even pre-patch Fisticuffs JC.

She does not have a lot of mixups, in fact other than in Dragon Naginata she has none. Her overhead is 24f and must be charged to actually combo, so getting hit with it is entirely the fault of the player. Although b1 strings contain either an overhead or an overhead and then a low they are the 2nd and 3rd hit of the strings, meaning you can blow mid, OH, low everytime and block the string. You also should always start blocking low then fuzzy guard the b1 2+4. Its hard but it is doable. Her "Air 50/50s" are nothing of the sort, as they are not only super reactable but super punishable. The only variation with real mixups is Dragon Naginata, as the instant overhead comes out fast enough where the threat of it combined with b3 is significant.

To say she has the best wakeup game of all time is hilarious. Yes, she has essentially a 50/50 on wakeup. But not only are these unsafe, one is extremely reactable. Most Tanya variations have much better wakeup options then the 50/50, which is why you see them use it. As with any wakeups, a njp will beat almost all of her wakeup options. Additonally none of her wakeups lead to more than 25%, whereas some wakeups in this game like Jax's, KL's, Cassie's, and Raiden's lead to full combos. You cant use the same oki on her as Quan chi, but that is how FGs work. Dont get me wrong, she has a GREAT wakeup game, but it is not the best wakeup game of all time.

Tanya is a top 5, possibly top 3 character. If she isn't tweaked she could become a problem, which most Tanya mains have at least acknowledged. That being said, it is painfully obvious that some non-tanya mains in this thread are not well versed in the MU and are overreacting based on their struggles to fight her. Acting like she is the next Ivan Ooze is not helping your cause, and is only making your argument weaker. NRS will decide what needs to be done and none of us can cha nge that, but in the mean time I suggest hitting the lab and learning what you can do to fight her as nerfs or not she is in the game and will probably be top 10 in the long run.

Last edited:

omooba

fear the moobs
What insane armor moves? You mean EX Drill, which is extremely punishable on block, or EX flip, which is also extremely punishable on block?
Both have armor and its a fifty fifty and ex teleport which still has armor on wake up, not sure if while standing soooo yeah she has the best armored moves

omooba

fear the moobs
That would be a terrible use... I was suggesting using it at a range to make your way in, not when she's close enough to punish you...

Saying stuff like this discredits the argument for her needing tweaks.
Doesn't matter where u use it. If u try and do anything after it she will just armor out. How is this discrediting?

Thats not what he said. He said they couldnt even use Tanya all the way through because certain people were shutting their Tanyas down. REO and Sonic both went back to Erron at points, although I think Deg and MIT stuck with Tanya the whole way.

The only new Tanya main in the top 8 is REO. Sonic, MIT, and Deg have all been playing her since release, and MIT and Deg have been maining her since then as well.
Don't act like SonicFox and REO weren't embarrassing highly-skilled players with Tanya.

SEV

Noob

I get you but them switching is the same reason I feel the way I do, I just took it differently. To me REO and Sonic switching to Erron when they lost seems as if they were using Tanya because the character is super strong right now and they were hoping to get at least one win based on a lack of MU knowledge, before switching to their mains, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
I think for one, character unfamiliarity plays a big role as to why Tanya dominated as hard as she did.

Two, her teleports do take time to get used to as her mobility is the best in the game. She supposedly got nerfed on armor if I recall in this patch on EX Tele but still has it on EX Teleport on very specific frames or random situations? If you remove the invincibility and armor, that should be enough for now.

Three: She was out for awhile, three weeks is enough IMO for her to debut at CEO. Plus, you might as well get bopped by her now and lab her up, because EVO already said the only two DLC chars allowed are Tanya and J-SON.

I can see a patch coming in the future where they do adjust her more because that's just NRS's way of doing shit, not that I'm advocating for it because IMO it's too early to say what exactly makes her super powerful besides her mobility. But I will say, just like Clone makes SZ play differently in a game of rushdown, oki, and 50/50s/vortex, Tanya's mobility makes her unique as well.

Adapt for now, and if NRS thinks she needs some shit changed? They watch the tournies, and I'm sure they will adjust her if they need to. Though, there are some decisions I don't agree with when it comes to the last patch (nerf Fisticuffs? >_> Johnny isn't even all that good.) so whatever it is, I hope it's correct.

The last thing you wanna see is a bored crowd at EVO, this game looks hype to casuals, but if there's a ton of Tanya's in your top 8 there, people will give the game the same response they did when IGAU was shown at EVO for the first time. You don't want that, because then people will think the game's tier list is junk. So far MKX has proven that wrong and there's a ton of diversity, where you have multiple viable characters. The fact that so many people have a pocket Tanya cements proof that she is THAT DLC character that NRS releases that causes you problems all across the board. Sonic admitted Batgirl was busted on many occasions, but there was a trick to beating that busted shit that no one could figure out completely, mainly because it was agreed she was a little too good at what she did.

The last thing you wanna see is a bored crowd at EVO, this game looks hype to casuals, but if there's a ton of Tanya's in your top 8 there, people will give the game the same response they did when IGAU was shown at EVO for the first time. You don't want that, because then people will think the game's tier list is junk. So far MKX has proven that wrong and there's a ton of diversity, where you have multiple viable characters. The fact that so many people have a pocket Tanya cements proof that she is THAT DLC character that NRS releases that causes you problems all across the board. Sonic admitted Batgirl was busted on many occasions, but there was a trick to beating that busted shit that no one could figure out completely, mainly because it was agreed she was a little too good at what she did.
That's why Tanya needs to get nerfed before Evo. The only real foolproof way of dealing with her consistently is a pocket Tanya. If she isn't fixed before Evo, it will be disastrous for MKX's longetivity. I predict a SonicFox vs. MIT mirror Grand Finals by the way.

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
That's why Tanya needs to get nerfed before Evo. The only real foolproof way of dealing with her consistently is a pocket Tanya. If she isn't fixed before Evo, it will be disastrous for MKX's longetivity. I predict a SonicFox vs. MIT mirror Grand Finals by the way.
Why haven't the mods banned you already?

That's clearly not what I'm saying at all so people don't get the wrong idea.

My point is, it's a little too damn early to crucify the character (even though it's heavily hinted she may of killed Jade or some shit but a lot of MKX seems to be noncanon except story but anyway.) and that there definitely should be a wait and see approach, but the tele getting adjusted would be like the SMALLEST thing. You notice the rest of the obvious top tiers getting adjusted slowly, with Raiden even getting a buff in two other variations.

My point was, this character is going to be a force. Even if you nerfed her, people like @Boxxyfan would still lose clean. You need to adapt now, and let the game and NRS take it's course. You don't want this character to be bad just because she's unique.

But the worst thing would be a Top 8 full of Tanya's at EVO. There will be an obvious patch before EVO since Predator is coming out next month, and then whatever she gets, you have to adapt.

It's up to the players to make sure Tanya does, or doesn't dominate by labbing her up. Even I messed around with Tanya a bit. She's fun. But she doesn't need to be nerfed into the damn ground especially this damn early.

Shadow316

You inspire no fear.
Perhaps it could be seen as a good thing that there's a few Tanya's in top 8 (although super boring to watch), NRS can use it to see what needs adjusting before EVO. As opposed to there being none in top 8 then having this situation happen at EVO, which nobody wants. It just sucks that there's so much money on the line for CEO and people are being lamed out by this character.

Hopefully NRS learned their lesson from the Scorpion disaster, and don't destroy the character within weeks of their release. (This coming from someone who hates watching Tanya and is bored to hell by her.)

omooba

fear the moobs
For being a very obvious troll who has no benefit to this community, doesn't ask questions as to how to get better and just shits in topics with terrible posts, and doesn't learn and is likely a hidey account.
i think ur being a little to hard on him

omooba

fear the moobs
Perhaps it could be seen as a good thing that there's a few Tanya's in top 8 (although super boring to watch), NRS can use it to see what needs adjusting before EVO. As opposed to there being none in top 8 then having this situation happen at EVO, which nobody wants. It just sucks that there's so much money on the line for CEO and people are being lamed out by this character.

Hopefully NRS learned their lesson from the Scorpion disaster, and don't destroy the character within weeks of their release. (This coming from someone who hates watching Tanya and is bored to hell by her.)
i agree with u mostly. what do u mean by the scorpion disaster?