What's new

Stamina "Cool Down" on Combo Breakers - Is it too Long?

Is the Stamina cool down too long?

• Total voters

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Then don't break.

Think about that...
It's actually what I've started doing, or rather not doing. Some situations I find I have a better chance to win when I just don't break. Even if it means I'm left with 15-20 percent health instead of still at 40-50 in the final round.

It definitly makes things interesting.

This is the week of "i don't like Y or X mechanics in the game, lets change it"
Yeah. Pointing out and discussing inconsistencies is the same as "I don't like it."

Sucks when decent discussions that are relatively constructive are called complaining. Happens all the time. People bitch to no end about complaining.... So much so that they even do it when no one is complaining.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
At what part do we look at you getting hit being the problem and not the cool down. You do not have a god given right to escape a combo, let alone do it without penality.
What about in a 50/50 heavy game such as this? Sometimes people guess wrong. Not saying you have a right to escape. But if you have managed your meter well enough to have the 2 bars incase you guess wrong, Then is 2 bars and 2 stamina and an extensive Cool down on stamina too much?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Don't get me wrong guys, i think i had my fair dose of how they don't like throws, how they think overheads are way too fast among other things

I just that i find kinda funny, though, and i can understand what Jimmy feels like, i was just pointing out the irony of how this week is been more about system mechanics either discussion or complainments, and not much about how character A, or B needs to be toned down.

Now to jump back in the topic, the second i saw this on day launch it made me realize how much NRS wants do discourage breakers, it kind sucks when you're cornered though, but then again we're not exploiting this to the fully extend to know the drawbacks other than you break in the corner and you're still fucked.

I mean people who forces breakers are not designing their strats around the temporary inability to not use stamina yet, which in turn might actually help us get good and plan in advance how, when and why we should actually break a combo.

I for one, i know my meter is way too important for my character, so i take the damage and multiple times, i prefer to work on the wakeup rather than break to have a breathing room. When you're cornered, breaking doesn't give you a breathing room, just watch how Sonic Fox runs back in when someone breaks his combos.

Krackatoa

BEES? BEES!
What about in a 50/50 heavy game such as this? Sometimes people guess wrong. Not saying you have a right to escape. But if you have managed your meter well enough to have the 2 bars incase you guess wrong, Then is 2 bars and 2 stamina and an extensive Cool down on stamina too much?
Two bars to negate what could be 40 to 50%? Two bars for something that could remove a bar from your opponent if they play someone who uses metered starters? That's a nice deal. What if you play a good keepaway character, or are in a matchup where you build meter like a fiend? Breakers can easily become lopsided, and I'd rather them offer an option, not the option.

There are plenty of good times to use a breaker already. That's enough.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
What I actually find funny is that some people actually consider this game perfect as such nobody has any right to even consider daring having the gall to even remotely mention that a mechanic might have some issues.

No, you are all fools, the game is too young, after 1 year you will see EVERYTHING you complain about is OK, there is absolutely NO problem with the game whatsoever.

Goobypls.

Hades

Noob
the breaker system the way it is is excellent. I love the fact that it costs resources and forces the opponent to think about how essential breaking each combo is rather than just throwing it out and the being the aggressor (like mk 9). It's a very good tool and you shouldn't be able to use it every single time you get hit with a full combo, i like how it has a mind game and consequences behind it. The run and stamina bar mechanics have added so many more mind games and in my opinion so much more depth and i love it

this doesnt need to turn into another discussion about mixups, 50/50s, opening people up, playing footsies, etc.

Its a discussion about breaker penalties and stam cooldowns. Thats it.

1. Certain characters rely more on stamina than others.

2. That means the penalty for using the breaker is more limiting for certain characters than it is for others.

3. if you think the cooldown is alright, that means you also think stamina reliant characters deserve a more severe penalty for breaking.

Why?

In other games you can actually bait a breaker or "burst". The opponent not only loses the meter but then gets re-combo'd as the burst whiffs. I'd say the meter + stamina with penalty cool down is just fine.

Being able to break out of a combo is pretty powerful. Some characters build so much meter that they can actually break twice per round. Penalty cool down is a good thing.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
In other games you can actually bait a breaker or "burst". The opponent not only loses the meter but then gets re-combo'd as the burst whiffs. I'd say the meter + stamina with penalty cool down is just fine.
Since we mentioned other games, I would like to point out that MK managed to fill a niche for people who preferred neutral over setplay, among other things. So I, for one, understand why there are all these complaints about breakers not resetting neutral enough, so to speak.

That is kinda subjective, perhaps, but I want to see Sultani's issue addressed. Are you guys confident that more stamina-reliant characters have their share of compensation for their breakers being more crippling to them than to others?

Being able to break out of a combo is pretty powerful. Some characters build so much meter that they can actually break twice per round. Penalty cool down is a good thing.
It still remains true that the severity of the stam depletion is more dabilitating for some than it is for others.

I don't think this is a major issue by any means, but I do feel that when applied, the penalty isn't the same for everyone.

iMileena

"I will cut a hole in you"
I don't like the fact you need stamina for a breaker , bruh its very irritating when you're getting hit with a 89% combo + reset & can't even break it cause oh i have no stamina-_-

You could have enough meter juice for a breaker but your stamina meter just like.. Oh nigga you thought :DOGE

I just feel the recovery is really long. I think somebody just said 8 seconds? Reducing it by a few seconds would make it more fair for some characters who need to run for a lot of stuff they do.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Is there REALLY such a thing as too high of a penalty for escaping from a combo that would otherwise kill you? I'd say it's fine as is.
Agreed. I only wish that block breakers required 1/3 only instead of 2/3.

Give us defensive players options pls!