What's new

Stamina "Cool Down" on Combo Breakers - Is it too Long?

Is the Stamina cool down too long?

• Total voters

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Hey guys, I was looking to see if there was a thread about this already, but I couldn't find one. This is not a complaint thread or a "CHANGE THIS SHIT NRS" thread. This is just a thread to gauge opinion and see what everyone else thinks about it.

I find the cool down to the Stamina "energy" meter after combo breaker is way to long. I'm not infront of my game right now so I can't time it exactly, but it is very long.

The reason I'm not a fan of the long cool down time, is I feel very handicapped after I use a combo breaker.
It already cost 2 bars of Super meter to break, which is fair, and the way it's always been, but it also cost you both of your stamina bars as well. I also think this is fine, I just don't think it should take forever for it to charge back up.

Here is why:

After I break, I lose the ability to even Back Dash. Not only that, I can't even run. I also lose the ability to use any interactables. The interactables hurts because they are a great way to escape corners on some stages or get space from your opponent, which may be the case after a Combo Breaker.

The big one for me is not being able to run.

I have no problem with it costing 2 bars of super meter and 2 bars of stamina, I just don't think it's necissary to have the super long stamina cool down there as well, feels like over kill for me.

Maybe there is a good reason for it, and I would like to hear it. I really just want to understand why it's there. Because in the game, when you are breaking it's usually because you are in a bad spot as it is, or you made a mistake (or guessed wrong) and are being punished for it. So why should I also be hindered after loosing 2 meter as well.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Edit: I timed the cool down. It's 7.5 seconds until you get your first bar of Stamina back, and 8.5 before you get both back.

Last edited:

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
The stamina problem is the least of the problems.

The other problem is the "freeze" you get after using a combo breaker. You can't even jump away. You are frozen in place. It's so bad that the guy that was clobbering you has time to run back up and start pressure before you can do anything but block.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
The stamina problem is the least of the problems.

The other problem is the "freeze" you get after using a combo breaker. You can't even jump away. You are frozen in place. It's so bad that the guy that was clobbering you has time to run back up and start pressure before you can do anything but block.
MMM I haven't experienced this. I'll have to check again when I get home, I actually wanna time how long it takes to get your first bar of Stamina back as well.

The stamina thing is fine. It's to discourage using breaker as often as it was in MK9, where meter was basically only ever used for breakers. It's an incentive to use meter in combos or throw meter burns instead of breaker being the only good use for meter.

Personally i think it's annoying when I have to break but that's the point.. if you have to break you should be more thoughtful after and play slower or more defensively to get your stamina back.

Filipino Man

Retirement my ass
I think it's great. Characters (such as Quan Chi, Sub Zero, and Jacqui) all have very good zoning tools they should probably be able to keep. But with those tools, they also build a lot of meters while characters such as Sonya have to get in against characters like them. Therefore, if a character like Sonya gets in, they can either take the damage, or choose to break. And if they break they're out stamina for 4 seconds before they even start replenishing - which means it's a risk for them to break because they're out of their wake up option as well as out of their stamina to run away or backdash, giving characters that rush down a chance against them.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
I think it's great. Characters (such as Quan Chi, Sub Zero, and Jacqui) all have very good zoning tools they should probably be able to keep. But with those tools, they also build a lot of meters while characters such as Sonya have to get in against characters like them. Therefore, if a character like Sonya gets in, they can either take the damage, or choose to break. And if they break they're out stamina for 4 seconds before they even start replenishing - which means it's a risk for them to break because they're out of their wake up option as well as out of their stamina to run away or backdash, giving characters that rush down a chance against them.
On the other side of the coin, When I break with Sonya, I can't run in and initiate offence for what feels like at least 6-8 real seconds before you get a bar.

I see your point though.

Def some interesting points here.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
The stamina thing is fine. It's to discourage using breaker as often as it was in MK9, where meter was basically only ever used for breakers. It's an incentive to use meter in combos or throw meter burns instead of breaker being the only good use for meter.
The real reason meter was almost exclusively used for breakers in MK9 is because many EX moves thoroughly sucked. Then there were characters with good ex moves that so happens could make meter out of thin air...

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
breaking leaves you both at neutral so the person who broke a combo doesn't get an advantage, however with the run button and not having stamina all of a sudden characters like jax can wake up run and f2 and be up in your grill again. i don't know how i feel about that from takeda's POV.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
breaking leaves you both at neutral so the person who broke a combo doesn't get an advantage, however with the run button and not having stamina all of a sudden characters like jax can wake up run and f2 and be up in your grill again. i don't know how i feel about that from takeda's POV.
Kinda what I've been seeing and experiencing while playing. I mean, sometimes you are put into a 50/50 situation, you guess wrong and you have to break, because you can't really move you can be forced right back into that situation very easialy by some characters, espicially since you can't even back dash.

It goes both ways I guess. Some people see it as, well you put yourself in the position to have to break, so hold that. I see it as, well I managed my meter so I have the ability to break if I need to, or if I guess wrong, now why can't I move?

i just tested in training and jax gets hit by B21 from takeda after takeda breaks, if jax runs and does F2(1).

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I like it personally. I hated how air breakers put you at advantage in mk9, because then for example so cage I could get a health lead, build meter for a breaker, and force them to come to me. Then if they managed to open me up I could break and get my pressure started automatically pretty much, which I always thought was total bullshit. Now in this game it is neutral and the person who uses the breaker loses all their resources so the pressure is on them to space well and get out of the situation. I say keep it as is.

The problem with how long the cooldown is, if you want to call it a problem, isn't as simple as "is it ok or is it too much?"

The problem is that the penalty isn't consistently applied because certain characters don't need to run as much as others. When your character's BnB or optimal punish requires a run cancel, using a breaker also limits your attack potential. It already universally does so due to the meter loss, but the stamina loss is a non-issue for some characters while it's a huge dependency of others. Because of this, the breaker stam penalty is a bigger problem and a bigger penalty for some characters than others. That's retarded.

Let's say you use a breaker, opponent runs back in and does something that you defend and is punishable. If your character doesn't need to run cancel to maximize the punish, it's fine. If you need one, you can't punish optimally.

So yeah.. again... if a penalty is going to be applied for use of a breaker, I don't think it's out of line to suggest that the penalty should be the same for everyone. Take it out.