What's new

General/Other - Sonya Blade Sonya General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt

Noob
Is it just me or is the timing on the low drone after b1,3 annoying or what? Inputs are coming out perfect but the drone doesn't come out everytime. Very annoying.

@lslick

lslick

Stole this pic from Doombawkz :P
Is it just me or is the timing on the low drone after b1,3 annoying or what? Inputs are coming out perfect but the drone doesn't come out everytime. Very annoying.

@lslick
You mean B14...In terms of timing, the cancel window for drone specials are different on hit than they are on block. So basically you have to get used to both timings. The only way around it is honestly to sit in training mode until it becomes muscle memory =[

jmt

Noob
You mean B14...In terms of timing, the cancel window for drone specials are different on hit than they are on block. So basically you have to get used to both timings. The only way around it is honestly to sit in training mode until it becomes muscle memory =[
Yes, B14.

Ok, I'll just sit and try to grind it out. Thought I was going crazy or something.

lslick

Yes, B14.

Ok, I'll just sit and try to grind it out. Thought I was going crazy or something.
You definitely wasn't....At first I thought I was crazy but then I realized that the window is just different unfortunately =[

Reactions: jmt

lslick

I was on the Mileena forums and someone mentioned that they can db3 or db4 between the gap of B14~MS4 and B332~MS4. So I did some more research to see how big of a gap that cancel is since I'm bad at reading cancel frames and what not. The gap between B14~MS4 and B332~MS4 is about 8-9 frames. So if we use B14~MS4 and the opponent reads it, they can reversal after the B14 and hit you out of it clean. They don't have to armor through it if they dont want too. If you use B332~MS4, they can use a 9 frame reversal to beat you out of it. If they use a nonarmored special move, you will stuff their attempt. If they use an armored move, they will beat you out of it. These reversals do get blown up by MS3 though so if you read the reversal attempt, just MS3 to stuff them. You can also try MS1 when they are out of blockstun to stop them from reversalling as well. But you have to be on point on that one.

Also, I have been messing around with demolition. I feel indifferent about that variation tbh. On the one hand, I think the variation has some cheap stuff that I haven't found yet. I feel like we can really make this variation dirty as hell. But having only three grenades really hurts this variation. Maybe if she had four then I wouldn't feel that bad. Cause you use one grenade in your combos, and you can opt to use a grenade as an ender so you can have grenade oki. But the grenade oki loses to delayed wakeup so you lose one grenade for forcing your opponent to lose a wakeup option. But then again, by throwing a grenade out like that they can't get up normally or tech roll cause they would have to deal with the mixup. Grenades also blow up throw attempts similar to how Sub can Ice clone you and throw you so you can get frozen. Unfortunately for her, she doesn't get anything since she gets hit as well. So you use two grenades for one setup and lose the option to wakeup with two grenades in the process. But then again, I understand the limit on three since it doesn't allow her to abuse that grenade wakeup.

Sorry for my rambling lol...I think I just need to put more time into that variation tbh

jmt

Noob
Just curious, what MU's are you finding hard for Sonya?

Inferno scorpion seems really hard. Just can't get close to him.

HDTran

Just a guy.
@jmt Try aggressively running more since Sonya's run is ridiculous, you'll beat overhead and low demons with it. Beyond that, just remember to fully punish him whenever you block punishable stuff like teleports, spears, etc.

Reactions: jmt
I was on the Mileena forums and someone mentioned that they can db3 or db4 between the gap of B14~MS4 and B332~MS4. So I did some more research to see how big of a gap that cancel is since I'm bad at reading cancel frames and what not. The gap between B14~MS4 and B332~MS4 is about 8-9 frames. So if we use B14~MS4 and the opponent reads it, they can reversal after the B14 and hit you out of it clean. They don't have to armor through it if they dont want too. If you use B332~MS4, they can use a 9 frame reversal to beat you out of it. If they use a nonarmored special move, you will stuff their attempt. If they use an armored move, they will beat you out of it. These reversals do get blown up by MS3 though so if you read the reversal attempt, just MS3 to stuff them. You can also try MS1 when they are out of blockstun to stop them from reversalling as well. But you have to be on point on that one.

Also, I have been messing around with demolition. I feel indifferent about that variation tbh. On the one hand, I think the variation has some cheap stuff that I haven't found yet. I feel like we can really make this variation dirty as hell. But having only three grenades really hurts this variation. Maybe if she had four then I wouldn't feel that bad. Cause you use one grenade in your combos, and you can opt to use a grenade as an ender so you can have grenade oki. But the grenade oki loses to delayed wakeup so you lose one grenade for forcing your opponent to lose a wakeup option. But then again, by throwing a grenade out like that they can't get up normally or tech roll cause they would have to deal with the mixup. Grenades also blow up throw attempts similar to how Sub can Ice clone you and throw you so you can get frozen. Unfortunately for her, she doesn't get anything since she gets hit as well. So you use two grenades for one setup and lose the option to wakeup with two grenades in the process. But then again, I understand the limit on three since it doesn't allow her to abuse that grenade wakeup.

Sorry for my rambling lol...I think I just need to put more time into that variation tbh
I was on the Takeda forum and Zaf mentioned that there's a gap between B1 *gap* 4. I guess you have to be more careful with that string since you can armor after B1 for a full punish with certain characters.

jmt

Noob
@jmt Try aggressively running more since Sonya's run is ridiculous, you'll beat overhead and low demons with it. Beyond that, just remember to fully punish him whenever you block punishable stuff like teleports, spears, etc.
Will do man. I tried it a few times and he hit me with spears. Gonna keep at it.

Dedlock

Noob
I've been playing online with covert ops, I've agot healthy amount of wins, these are the match ups that I'm having trouble with,

GM Sub-zero (as mentioned earlier really bad)
Erron Black rifle ( not as bad as sub Zero but very annoying annoying)

Kung Jin bojitsu ( spam alert)

A good Mileena also spells trouble

Most recently Jason slasher has been a pain!

Match ups that I find easy

Kitana
Liu Kang
Cassie

lslick

I was on the Takeda forum and Zaf mentioned that there's a gap between B1 *gap* 4. I guess you have to be more careful with that string since you can armor after B1 for a full punish with certain characters.
Yup B14 has a gap between the B1 and the 4. You can set the dummy to reversal you and you can see it for yourself. The timing is something you have to get used too and they do need a bar. The good thing about the string is how fast and how much distance it covers so you can play the spacing game with someone and legit use the string lol

lslick

Just curious, what MU's are you finding hard for Sonya?

Inferno scorpion seems really hard. Just can't get close to him.
I heard that the low demon doesnt track so you can literally run just like how @HDTran suggested. His overhead is kind of reactable. He doesnt get much off of it since it causes a knockdown.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
Hey guys I'm just browsing your forums for any information regarding the drone variation(I believe it's special forces right?). If you guys have any go to threads or posts that you think would really get me started with this variation in particular I'd greatly appreciate. If not that's cool to, it would just speed up my process of finding all of what you guys have figured out so far.

lslick

Hey guys I'm just browsing your forums for any information regarding the drone variation(I believe it's special forces right?). If you guys have any go to threads or posts that you think would really get me started with this variation in particular I'd greatly appreciate. If not that's cool to, it would just speed up my process of finding all of what you guys have figured out so far.
In terms of combos, you can check the post that filiphino man made in the combo thread right here http://testyourmight.com/threads/sonya-blade-combo-thread.50013/page-6

If you want just general info found so far, there has been some stuff in this thread but most of it is in the special force thread are here http://testyourmight.com/threads/sonya-special-forces-tech.50129/

If you have anymore questions, you can ask them here pretty much

Hope this helps you

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
This gap is big, however if you make a read that they will try to reversal or armor through, you can cancel the MS and either armor yourself or block and punish. The timing is hard, but it works.

Yup B14 has a gap between the B1 and the 4. You can set the dummy to reversal you and you can see it for yourself. The timing is something you have to get used too and they do need a bar. The good thing about the string is how fast and how much distance it covers so you can play the spacing game with someone and legit use the string lol
The gap between b1 and 4 can be avoided if you use b1 from range where it hits later. You can also use b1 meaty on wakeup to avoid the gap.

lslick

This gap is big, however if you make a read that they will try to reversal or armor through, you can cancel the MS and either armor yourself or block and punish. The timing is hard, but it works.

The gap between b1 and 4 can be avoided if you use b1 from range where it hits later. You can also use b1 meaty on wakeup to avoid the gap.
You're right about just using the b1 at a range where it hits later...I didn't know that you can do that :O :O :O :O.....The canceling the MS and trying to armor through their attempt or punishing is pretty hard...I sat in training mode trying to do that against Mileena's roll and I couldn't do it once in the 1hour of trying =[

Nice. Thanks for the info. I need to figure out the spacing so I will not get punish for using that string.

skater11

The saltiest
Sorry if this has been brought up, nothing big here, but does anyone know the info on the first hit of her f4? It's a two kick move but after the first kick it can be fully cancelled into any special move. I suppose there is a gap in between this normal as well. Which would make it a bit unsafe to use as a block string. Even though it's 0 on block with only the 2 hits I suppose? I use this normal a lot as a block string and it catches a lot of people so I'd like to know about it a bit more. Thanks.

Edit: the first hit of f4 combos into MS4 and 3, hence why I'd like to know the block advantage of the first hit of f4

Last edited:

lslick

Sorry if this has been brought up, nothing big here, but does anyone know the info on the first hit of her f4? It's a two kick move but after the first kick it can be fully cancelled into any special move. I suppose there is a gap in between this normal as well. Which would make it a bit unsafe to use as a block string. Even though it's 0 on block with only the 2 hits I suppose? I use this normal a lot as a block string and it catches a lot of people so I'd like to know about it a bit more. Thanks.

Edit: the first hit of f4 combos into MS4 and 3, hence why I'd like to know the block advantage of the first hit of f4
F4 doesn't have a gap. I love to use that normal when I have someone in the corner as well as in combos.

Dedlock

Noob
F4 is slow but I love using it, never infront of the opponent but just like B1 executing it a little earlier I find interrupts the opponent also canceling it into ms3 makes it look very graceful in action Sonya for a couple of seconds looks like a ballerina!

Too bad her outfits are all so bulky, hope her classic skin remedies that.

Fairly new Sonya player here since I've been working on Johnny since launch. Absolutely loving Covert Ops' mix-up potential and absolute corner dominance. I don't plan on maining her completely since I've used Johnny in MK for as long as I can remember and he maintains that position, but man I've never had more fun with mind games in a game before. The switch up on MS inputs really just destroys your opponent's ego. Love it.

Saw that people were talking about MU issues with Covert Ops vs. GM Sub-Zero and that switching to Special Forces was the solution. As much as it's true because of how much safer it becomes (for clone purposes), it really doesn't solve much, especially if you're doing ranked and end up against a GM Sub-Zero as Covert Ops. I just plan on grinding through it and figuring out where I lack strength in the MU, in the end it really just benefits your game in the variation you enjoy over switching. I've learned that the hard way playing Cage in MK9 against tons of Sub-Zeros and Reptiles, eventually figuring out how to work them over. But yes, Special Ops works pretty well against GM. Might have a Twitch stream going tonight or tomorrow with a buddy of mine playing GM Sub-Zero locally, and if I do I can gladly post it on the thread if anyone wants to analyze it.

Just a side note: Still figuring out what EX options I have since meter building with Sonya is pretty awesome. EX db4 has sorta of been my go-to for wake up pressure and wall carrying, as well as breakers, but that's about it. I've been messing around with her x-ray potential since I'm used to throwing the counter out there randomly with Cage in MK9 and catching people off guard during mix-ups, seems like it doesn't stay out as long as Cage's did though in this game, or maybe it does and it doesn't seem like it *shrugs.* I do appreciate those who commented about what it can counter though, that's SUPER helpful.

I'll continue to test around and post stuff. Happy Blading! :D

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
Hey just wanted to know if any Sonya wanted to get any games vs a cyber kano (ps4us). If so just let me know. Bdizzle2700

Status
Not open for further replies.