What's new

General/Other - Sonya Blade Sonya General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel with demolitions, I'm so dependent on having grenades that I'm scared to do setups after a grenade combo. I just do my BnB:
[starter] xx Shock Grenade, dash, 12, run xx 2134

And then go for the free reload, without tossing out any of my remaining grenades for setups or anything. I'm just afraid if my subsequent setup doesn't work, I'm floating down oh-shit-creek without a paddle. It's not bad if you still have a grenade left, but if you started with 2 and your first was used for the combo, and the second for the setup...well if the setup fails you're screwed.

lslick

Stole this pic from Doombawkz :P
I feel with demolitions, I'm so dependent on having grenades that I'm scared to do setups after a grenade combo. I just do my BnB:
[starter] xx Shock Grenade, dash, 12, run xx 2134

And then go for the free reload, without tossing out any of my remaining grenades for setups or anything. I'm just afraid if my subsequent setup doesn't work, I'm floating down oh-shit-creek without a paddle. It's not bad if you still have a grenade left, but if you started with 2 and your first was used for the combo, and the second for the setup...well if the setup fails you're screwed.
IIRC, any grenade setup she goes for when cancelling a string into grenade throw, the opponent only needs to delay wakeup, and you won't have to be scared of the grenade blowing up =[

smile

Noob
Demo sonya tech (corner)
This blows up wake-ups with one hit of armor (tested with tempest lao ex spin)
starter- df1- njp - jik - 1,2 - 1,2 - 1,2,1 - ex dd1 -> b3/b1/whatever

Reactions: jmt

WidowPuppy

Attack pekingese

Of course you can cross up to punish if you expect this wake up but, maybe with D'Vorah cornered and not wanting to corner yourself if she blocks, B3,3,2 being safe is not a bad option.

Wondering what other armored wake ups this can crack, hmmm?

Unfortunately, b332 can be ducked on block because of a hitbox error. She can get punished like crazy for using that. Which means Sonya has absolutely no safe low strings now lol.

Most likely the error is just in the last hit reading as a mid. :(
Yeah, the last hit is supposed to hit mid, but whiffs on most of the cast xD It connects on very few characters, like Kung Lao. I thought people would be more concerned about this lol. For me, it's driving me nuts lol.

hm sorry i didn't see the thread
I'm just surprised most people haven't really mentioned this xD As it stands right now, if someone blocks your b33, everything else available to you is a death sentence xD B332 should be our safe low string, but not anymore lol. Although you can cancel into military stance, then cancel out to make it safe. That would only work for covert ops though. I don't know, I just hope they patch it soon lol

skater11

The saltiest
We really need a matchup thread going for sonya. IM having trouble with noxious reptile zoning and raidens d1 +advancing normals/strings. Can't really get in on both of these characters it sucks. (Covert ops Sonya)

Last edited:

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
We really need a matchup thread going for sonya. IM having trouble with noxious reptile zoning and raidens d1 +advancing normals/strings. Can't really get in on both of these characters it sucks. (Covert ops Sonya)
Bait reptiles slow startup on zoning and dive kick it.

Agreed, I said it before and might have to just create a MU thread so we can all chip in.

Haven't had too much experience against Reptile yet, but I've played my fair share of Raidens with Covert Ops. His 50/50 on the overhead and low strings are tough to read, but if you block the overhead it's a full string punish which should result in a wall carry depending on what BnB you use. Play patient and be careful on his ex wakeup stuff, and get yourself out of the corner as much as possible. If he keeps you there, be prepared to see your life meter get absolutely slammed.

I actually played a great Warlock Quan Chi yesterday who knew what he was doing for once. Not an easy matchup, but he's got a lot of easy punishable attacks if you're patient with blocks.

Unfortunately, b332 can be ducked on block because of a hitbox error. She can get punished like crazy for using that. Which means Sonya has absolutely no safe low strings now lol.
I don't think it's a huge issue (not sure if it's even an error). I haven't been punished for it yet. It may be a bit difficult to punish. It's probably more of a risk of being interrupted with a d1 that might give the opponent more advantage than they would have gotten.

At the very least any opponent going for an interupt is risking being hit by the full b33212 if Sonya doesn't stop to hit-confirm off only b33212

I don't think it's a huge issue (not sure if it's even an error). I haven't been punished for it yet. It may be a bit difficult to punish. It's probably more of a risk of being interrupted with a d1 that might give the opponent more advantage than they would have gotten.

At the very least any opponent going for an interupt is risking being hit by the full b33212 if Sonya doesn't stop to hit-confirm off only b33212
What leads me to believe that it's a hitbox error is that the 2 does indeed hit mid, but it whiffs on a good 95% of the cast. It's even listed as a mid in the command list. Islick made a list of who it connects on in the thread describing the issue. It won't whiff on Kung Lao and it whiffs sometimes on characters like Reptile, Liu, Ferra/Torr and a few others. If the last 2 is ducked, you can fit at least a 17 frame punish in there. So once people catch on, that's not gonna be good :(

lslick

Stole this pic from Doombawkz :P
What leads me to believe that it's a hitbox error is that the 2 does indeed hit mid, but it whiffs on a good 95% of the cast. It's even listed as a mid in the command list. Islick made a list of who it connects on in the thread describing the issue. It won't whiff on Kung Lao and it whiffs sometimes on characters like Reptile, Liu, Ferra/Torr and a few others. If the last 2 is ducked, you can fit at least a 17 frame punish in there. So once people catch on, that's not gonna be good :(
I tested it on Lao again after I made the list, and it whiffed sometimes as well. The best thing we can do is special the first 2 so we don't whiff the 2nd 2 since it doesn't come out

I tested it on Lao again after I made the list, and it whiffed sometimes as well. The best thing we can do is special the first 2 so we don't whiff the 2nd 2 since it doesn't come out
Yeah I just cancel into MS on the first hit then cancel out to make it safe lol. I don't know what you could do to cover the string in the other variations. I just hope they fix it by the next patch, it's driving me nuts xD

Dedlock

Noob
While the whif is certainly annoying it hasn't really impacted me online, I guess it's a,problem for high level play but not really with casual match ups.

Plus I'm a variety type of player and prefer to mix up.even when I have the upperhand, I hate repeating the same string again and again just because it gives me an advantage, admittedly I end up losing sometimes but I don't want predictability to.dominate with my Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.