What's new

So what do you guys do when you hit a wall?

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
Mattman said it perfectly in his first post. My PS3 kinda broke at the right time for me because I felt I wasn't progressing. So now it was then two weeks before I played a set of offline casuals with a better player than me. In the meantime I was keeping up to date on TYM making sure I remember everything, re-reading through stuff and picturing it in my head or whatever. Then I play these casuals a few days ago and I perform much better, brain is fresher. It could have to do with playing the game too much. Your brain doesn't respond with the same effectiveness I guess. So now I won't be able to play for another 10 days or so (until I get a new PS3) and it will make me even more excited to play and hopefully take a step up in my game. After the casuals I mentioned above, I felt I took a step forwards for sure. Hope this helps Rampage254!
I agree with this. In my game after playing a lot in any given chunk of time, I find myself doing the same things without thinking. I honestly think the more used to the game a person gets, the more mindlessly they can start to play. I've read that when watching tv people actually use less of their brains than when just sitting and doing nothing. I think playing a game can get to this level to where your muscle memory and patterned behavior has taken over your game play entirely. I think its probably common that people need breaks in order to level up because when you come back you have to think again!!!

For me this is definitely true. Unfortunately I have such a busy life that keeps me from playing much, so I have mandatory breaks, and every time I worry I am going to slip, and some things do slip, like execution, making reads etc... but usually I learn something new about my character when I come back to it fresh and then of course the things that have slipped come back and get stronger.

One thing I can do as a Skarlet player that helps me get through frustration is to just fuck around throwing blood balls. It takes the seriousness out of the match, and I've actually found some funny and interesting setups for blood ball. If it doesn't go well I just end my own life, however sometimes I've turned losing streaks into win streaks against some of the high level people (online), people don't expect the blood ball. I'll bet every character has some fun/ funny / interesting tactics that people could screw around with as a stress reliever that could lead to new setups.

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
Holy Shit......Periodization programs for competitive MK Play....I feel another thread coming :cool: and no, I'm not trolling. I mean really, think about it....you're in the lab trying shit out, you're playing against different people, you need to take time off and come back....even though it's not a wrestling meet, you do peak on certain things like anti air, combo execution etc...I guess over training or over reaching for MK play would be doing dumb shit you don't normally do and/or not executing the same stuff you normally (sorry I'm geekin' out here) do well ....end ramble.

Mattman

Warlock Nerd
Now someone tell me a solid game plan for working on hit confirming, because mine SUCKS at the moment! lol
Im beginning to think that i simply dont react fast enough to be at the level i want to be. MK9 is the first fighting game i have ever played seriously, so im hoping this can be improved with more experience in not just MK but other fighters as well. hit confirming, footsies, frame data, these are all things im just barely starting to fully understand, let alone implement. for a noob, that can be a pretty high wall to climb over itself.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Im beginning to think that i simply dont react fast enough to be at the level i want to be. MK9 is the first fighting game i have ever played seriously, so im hoping this can be improved with more experience in not just MK but other fighters as well. hit confirming, footsies, frame data, these are all things im just barely starting to fully understand, let alone implement. for a noob, that can be a pretty high wall to climb over itself.
Yeah, I've gotta work on my reaction speed, MK is pretty brainless in the sense that most strings aren't too punishable on block anyways...I get blown the fuck up in everything else for not hit confirming adequately though.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I play more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more.

if that didnt do it then without break I play more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more.

This isnt a joke actually

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I play more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more.

if that didnt do it then without break I play more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more.

This isnt a joke actually
The joke is that you probably shortened it by about 600 mores.

I wish I could go that hard. I get burned out something terrible if I don't step away for a day or two.

Lulzlou

Noob
Taking a break isn't the best solution imo

The best thing to do is expose your bad habits to yourself and try to fix them. You may know you have them but sometimes you don't know what exactly is the habit. Focus on what you are doing wrong and you'll find a way to get rid of bad habits.

Meet up after meet up all I was doing was getting footsies down and exposing my bad habits. The key to success with that is to not care about losing. You'll have people say stop sandbagging or tell you to drop a character because you aren't doing so well, but fuck them. That is just my experience from learning kabal on my own.

You can't blame your character also, it is all just player error. Be determined and believe in yourself.

Now someone tell me a solid game plan for working on hit confirming, because mine SUCKS at the moment! lol
Not sure if it is solid game plan but what I do when I am working on hit confirming is go to practice more and just do the string over and over again. Each time when I get to the "hit confirm moment" I randomly choose between it hit or blocked and finish accordingly. You will be surprised by how often you will get it wrong even with you saying what to do. I also plan out to buffer the commands the best I can. For instance when I hit confirm Kitana's 2,1 string into ex fan on hit or cutter on block I hit 2,1, and then d,f leaving the action buttons for the difference until I know for sure what is happening. Took some practice but I got it down pretty well now.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Not sure if it is solid game plan but what I do when I am working on hit confirming is go to practice more and just do the string over and over again. Each time when I get to the "hit confirm moment" I randomly choose between it hit or blocked and finish accordingly. You will be surprised by how often you will get it wrong even with you saying what to do. I also plan out to buffer the commands the best I can. For instance when I hit confirm Kitana's 2,1 string into ex fan on hit or cutter on block I hit 2,1, and then d,f leaving the action buttons for the difference until I know for sure what is happening. Took some practice but I got it down pretty well now.
Yeah, I'd like to use the auto-block feature in MK but it's kind of a POS...when there's low and mids involved then ugh. It just isn't adequate at all for those. Quan's admittedly pretty easy to hit confirm with, I just have to get in the zone more consistently.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
just take a break... at least a day or two (from online) and just use practice mode and mess around if you must play the game at all.

You could also try playing a totally different game for a bit to refresh your skill a little with MK... I've been playing Batman: Arkham again

This is one of the things I hated the most I called it the cowards ways. I play Kitana and when I faced people that liked to do those things, in the beggining it was really hard I use Kitana if f21 misses its full combo punish even some times f2 hits and 1 misses Cage does b3 and full combo and most chars just get something off and a combo I learned to bite that coward strategy whit IaFs back 12 instant flys and gaining a life lead and lame them out whit IaFs so they feel pissed of playing like cowards, thats what worked for me, also doing 212 or if I know f21 the 1 is going to miss y do f2 cutter, dash d1. It all depends on what character you play everyone has ways to deal whit this things.

This is one of the things I hated the most I called it the cowards ways. I play Kitana and when I faced people that liked to do those things, in the beggining it was really hard I use Kitana if f21 misses its full combo punish even some times f2 hits and 1 misses Cage does b3 and full combo and most chars just get something off and a combo I learned to bite that coward strategy whit IaFs back 12 instant flys and gaining a life lead and lame them out whit IaFs so they feel pissed of playing like cowards, thats what worked for me, also doing 212 or if I know f21 the 1 is going to miss y do f2 cutter, dash d1. It all depends on what character you play everyone has ways to deal whit this things.
I'm not sure how punishing a whiffed move is a cowardly tactic?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

KamikazeJD

Makes women fap
When I hit a wall I cut myself, blame nrs then contemplate quitting.

usually..

Sometimes I stop playing tho..
I come back freshest when I havent played for a week plus.. When you hit a wall uhave over extended your training and have to work on different things. Like wuth weight training u cant bench all day everyday. You gotta switch it up or else you will plateau

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
You need to play people that force you to break through this wall. If it's bad habits causing you to not win like jumping around like a fairy constantly looking for that jip, try playing a match and make a conscious effort to not jump for the whole match. I know that seems outrageous, but it really helped me see the importance of AAing consistently. I still don't get it all the time either. If its that you're becoming to predictable with the same strings/setups, then try staggering your strings and throwing in d3's,d4's,and d1's between them. Example - When I'm Ermac, I like to do the b1,1,4 string because it has pushback and does [good] chip. However, just to spice things up I'll throw in b1,1 d3 grab or go into another string like 1,2 or 3,1 etc. I've leveled up to the point where I can consistently beat my good friend at this game. Of course the help I get from this website is starting to show in BIG ways. I still can't beat his reptile, and thats on or offline. But the fact that I can now beat his other characters is really a personal accomplishment for me. Don't be afraid to try new things, just don't take new things as throwing every unsafe move in the book out and wondering why I bothered to write this. Cheers.

Walking back "strategy" is cowardness on its finest
Haha this cracks me up. I love when people mock the play style of someone else because it makes it harder for them to do what they want.

Here is a secret, it is in your opponents best interest not to get damaged. So if you are throwing out t2 1 and he's punishing you for it, then he is playing smarter than you.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Rampage254

Ayy Lmao
I like walking backwards. :cool: