What's new

So what do you guys do when you hit a wall?

Rampage254

Ayy Lmao
These past few weeks I've been stuck. Mainly what's effecting me is people who run back the whole time, and I have no I deal how to deal with it, but just over all people have been able to read everything I do perfectly and I can't seem to get out of my bad habits. So what do you guys do when you hit a wall in MK? Cause I really need some help.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
These past few weeks I've been stuck. Mainly what's effecting me is people who run back the whole time, and I have no I deal how to deal with it, but just over all people have been able to read everything I do perfectly and I can't seem to get out of my bad habits. So what do you guys do when you hit a wall in MK? Cause I really need some help.
I know how you feel and the wall for me was footsies and poking/counterpoking. The wall you are hitting is a very hard one to climb over and get used to but once you do it will make your game improve more than anything. Developing your own footsies and learning to react to even the slightest pokes is very important and you just have to get used to it. My advice would just be to keep playing players you consider above/at your level and just focus on making sure you play your game and eliminate your bad habits. Don't worry about winning or losing but begin to try things to counter what your opponent does and new things to expand your style of play.
To touch a little more on the walking back thing you just have to be really patient and not get antsy to jump or run into whatever the opponent is setting up cause you will fall right into thier trap. Out of curiosity what character do you play?

Seapeople

This one's for you
Take a break, go into practice mode to deal with character-specific stuff that's causing problems, or ask for advice here if it gets you really stumped :)

Mattman

Warlock Nerd
take a short break from playing the game. a day, two days, maybe even a week, but keep the game fresh in your mind by checking the forums or watching tournament videos. also, if your like me, there are still a few special moves/command normals you have yet to thoroughly explore with your main. try those out in practice mode and try to come up with an alternate gameplan or implement them into your current one. then test it out in the ladder on expert. record some matches but dont review them right away, try to wait til the next day (i may be completely wrong about that, but its just my opinion). you dont need any high tech equipment, a decent cell phone works fine

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Be patient man, I struggle with people playing conservative and evasive too, if you get frustrated you become easier to read and figure out so try to be calm and patient if you can.

When I hit a wall, I take a break and do something else, like read, excercise, play a different game etc. When you have a mental block it's best to take a step back and come back into the situation with fresh eyes later. You may need a day break or week break or more, it really just depends on your state of mind.

Additionally, make a list of the areas you want to improve in, when you write stuff down it helps cement your goals (or at least it helps me and some others I've dealth with).

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I tend to use a door

*rimshot*

I actually just start using another character for fun... do stupid stuff.... then come back to my main. Things seem much worse than they probably are in reality.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
Bleed? :confused: lol

If you're a one char player - watch other players' videos and play like them for a while, this will tone down some old bad habits or pick another char with the mindset not to learn him, but to take a break from your main.
If you're a multiple char player - pick one char and explore him from the tip of his hair to the tip of his toes (female chars are more pleasant in this regard :) ) or pick Shag Tsung and morph as much as possible during the match.

Mattman

Warlock Nerd
You don't have to you are the Juggernaut b*tch LOL
i just saw that little clip of the old XMen cartoon dubbed with pimp voices for the first time today. that shit is fucking hilarious lol.
sorry to interrupt the thread...

NKZero

Noob
Mattman said it perfectly in his first post. My PS3 kinda broke at the right time for me because I felt I wasn't progressing. So now it was then two weeks before I played a set of offline casuals with a better player than me. In the meantime I was keeping up to date on TYM making sure I remember everything, re-reading through stuff and picturing it in my head or whatever. Then I play these casuals a few days ago and I perform much better, brain is fresher. It could have to do with playing the game too much. Your brain doesn't respond with the same effectiveness I guess. So now I won't be able to play for another 10 days or so (until I get a new PS3) and it will make me even more excited to play and hopefully take a step up in my game. After the casuals I mentioned above, I felt I took a step forwards for sure. Hope this helps Rampage254!

Rampage254

Ayy Lmao
Mattman said it perfectly in his first post. My PS3 kinda broke at the right time for me because I felt I wasn't progressing. So now it was then two weeks before I played a set of offline casuals with a better player than me. In the meantime I was keeping up to date on TYM making sure I remember everything, re-reading through stuff and picturing it in my head or whatever. Then I play these casuals a few days ago and I perform much better, brain is fresher. It could have to do with playing the game too much. Your brain doesn't respond with the same effectiveness I guess. So now I won't be able to play for another 10 days or so (until I get a new PS3) and it will make me even more excited to play and hopefully take a step up in my game. After the casuals I mentioned above, I felt I took a step forwards for sure. Hope this helps Rampage254!
Yea, that makes since. I should just take like a week break or something, and play other games, but I should still keep MK in the back of my head.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
As others suggested taking a few days off from playing could help. Another option is picking up a new character you haven't played before for awhile and then returning to your main. I've done the latter recently and it definitely improved my play.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
Some of the problems I have is when people start reading me more is needing to switch up some tactics and strings, so many people just learn a BnB special moves ect, but they don't bother learning all the small strings and where they are good to use them. Sometimes when I'm fighting someone, when they use a rarely used string, it throws me way off. Say you're fighting a generic online raiden, you know they are going to teleport behind you and try b3, 1, 2, or a 3,3,4 it's those people that throw in that double punch attack coming straight at me, or something people don't use often that catches you off guard that gives you more trouble. Because you don't know where they are going to hit next. It's like people playing Kung Lao that go 21212 ect, automatic teleport 3 spin, it gets predictable. A rushdown Sub Zero, a non zoning Noob Saibot. Playing differently really does give you an edge because people aren't used to the match up played that way and unless they are really good at adapting don't know what to do.

streetsweep187

Kneel before me
I know THE WALL well lol ..for me it was d1 anti air and standing anti air so for me what I did was just go for it every time and not get mad when I ate full kombos and lost (very hard to not get mad) but now after a month or two of doing it I can almost do it everytime and this tool is very helpful. My buddy squirtmcgirt is a God at it lol and it was so hard to get in on him but in the end it helped me progress my game and level up.....ALSO GET A SCENE !!!!! it don't matter if its a long drive but get together with people that play competitively and that sir will not just help u climb that wall but it will help u break it down for good :cool:

Representing SVK

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
I have a few different things I do, now I'm not the best player by any means, but I find these help.

1. Take a break, do something that alleviates stress. Work on a personal goal you've been putting off or do something you genuinely enjoy. Your mind needs a break, being aggravated only makes you play poorly, and once aggravated you will learn nothing.

2. Stop trying to compete until you've re-evaluated yourself. Watch streams, watch what the other players do, envision yourself using those tactics and try to adapt them as well as you can.

3. Find a sparring partner(s), do not think of them as competition, your goal is to learn. Not to win. I do not enter any casual with the intention of winning. This is possible online, though it'll require some patience between the two of you, ask for feedback after each round (easier to do offline obviously because you can pause the game; but after the match will suffice as well) if you faced many obstacles.

Now someone tell me a solid game plan for working on hit confirming, because mine SUCKS at the moment! lol

Well I play like that with my Scorpion to expose players lack of footsies. I will literally play like a pussy by not engaging with my opponent. For example against Cage I would just walk backward after a block string then they rush down in such frustration that they start whiffing a lot of move that opens up opportunities for me to whiff punish. My advice is to learn to play patient maybe because your play style isn't really rush down.