What's new

Match-up Discussion Smoke Match-Up Discussion Thread (2012 Post-EVO Update)

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
The only think i can think of is D4 right into a teleport, but i need to test it out more...
You should really only D4 into teleport if it is on mistake to be honest. On block that is full combo punishable and Kabal already has a healthy advantage in the MU you def don't need to give him a full combo on top of it :p

unVINCEable

As you think, so shall you become. -Bruce Lee-
Its more of a read, if it hits you get an automatic teleport, if it doesn't you go back to blocking, i don't mean its automatic

RiBBz22

see i personally think sonya is worst match up in game for smoke, smoke cant do too much at high level, then kabal and lao ;]
Sonya....

Let's just say

I think Kabal is worse, but hell I think we are splitting hairs between Kabal/Lao/Sonya

The reason I say Kabal is because obviously Smoke struggles with awesome rushdown characters, and at least Sonya/Cage have to work their way in. Kabal gets in for free whenever the hell he wants as long as the player's execution is good with the NDC. The only weapons Smoke has in the Kabal MU is standing 2 and D3. All of his specials get trumped by dash since he cannot check that move with anything he can put on the screen.

Kevlang

Noob
First off, I'd like to pile on in the Smoke Community's vicarious celebration of Wafflez Decisive Victory at Final Round.

Major Congrats to you Tommy Wafflez!

I may just be getting caught up in the Post-Major hype but I really wanted to hear what you guys think about Smoke's Position in the tiers list.

The most recent tier list I know of is the cool looking pictorial chart that REO posted in the General Discussion. http://www.testyourmight.com/index.php?threads/24377/

In the past, I've thought that Smoke's Rating was slightly inflated due to the SB Reset. I don't think that anymore. Over time, I've slowly started landing my resets consistently, and now, after Final Round, Wafflez has made me a believer!

Wafflez was absolutely flawless in his execution to the point that Smoke would look broken to any outside observer.

My question is whether Smoke has graduated into the S-Tier alongside Sonya and Kung Lao, or if he is still in the outer edge of the top 10.

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 using Tapatalk

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Without resets smoke sits at Baraka tier

Can a Smoke player help me out with the Noob match-up? I'm having a lot of trouble trying to keep up up close, all my advancing normals are a bit slow so I feel like I have to risk eating a Smoke Bomb to check him with F3 or B1 coming in, whiffing anything will kill me, and it's just frustrating in general.

RiBBz22

Can a Smoke player help me out with the Noob match-up? I'm having a lot of trouble trying to keep up up close, all my advancing normals are a bit slow so I feel like I have to risk eating a Smoke Bomb to check him with F3 or B1 coming in, whiffing anything will kill me, and it's just frustrating in general.
It is a really tough MU for a Noob player. I don't play Noob , but IMO, you have to stay closer than full screen so Smoke has to respect your tackles and abandons shaking them. At the same time you don't want to be too close where Smoke can just smoke towards through them and punish a whiffed tackle. Other than that I really don't have great strats for the other end of the MU. Once you get a life lead I would probably choose to turtle and try to win the match using your keep out options and only using teleports to punish things when you have meter to break.

Reactions: RYX

NkdSingularity

Truth and Ugly
I think it's just a horrible match-up for Noob. But using d4 to get in instead of f3 or b1 will help because d4 makes smoke-bomb whiff, you can punish a smoke away on reaction with tackle, and any time they jump backwards you should throw a tackle, they might start jump back teleporting which you can blow up on block or whiff (jab anti-air into combo).

RiBBz22

I think it's just a horrible match-up for Noob. But using d4 to get in instead of f3 or b1 will help because d4 makes smoke-bomb whiff, you can punish a smoke away on reaction with tackle, and any time they jump backwards you should throw a tackle, they might start jump back teleporting which you can blow up on block or whiff (jab anti-air into combo).
True, I would just be careful throwing out d4 to get in all the time because I would just adjust and start back dashing into a B2 or smoke bomb whiff punish.

GGA Wafflez

the kid
Code:
First off, I'd like to pile on in the Smoke Community's vicarious celebration of Wafflez Decisive Victory at Final Round.

My question is whether Smoke has graduated into the S-Tier alongside Sonya and Kung Lao, or if he is still in the outer edge of the top 10.

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 using Tapatalk
smoke stays where is he for now. he still has bad match ups that have been discussed which are mostly in the top 10. the community's experience in the smoke match up (offline) is little too. if the game lasts as long as it should, smoke will look more fair, and probably like complete shit kappa

or

smoke sucks. it's just that everyone is free and i am gdlk. gg...

Durango

Enhancer
I don't see how Reptile is 5-5 with Smoke. He can punish Smoke Aways with dashes and block/punish Smoke Bombs from far away. Can't really do a get-in-close combo since he likes to punish all normals with dash.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
ppl i need some help with the Cage MU.. with smoke you have to close in to get damage, but once i get in, and he blocks the string, he starts doing his d1 f3 shenanigans.. to me its gg. even when i hit him with a d3 or d1 the advantage is so small he can get his f3 shenanigans again.. HALP!

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Over at the Ermac forum, Ermac and smoke is a 5-5
Why do you guys say 6-4 in smoke's favor?

zaf

professor
Wafflez will tell you it's 6-4 in Ermacs favor. Don't believe the lies; it's clearly advantage Smoke.

Sent from my phone, using the keypad.

I have ermac smoke at 6-4 for ermac.
Honestly, smoke has no way to damage a turtling ermac.
Watch my matches vs Kt smith from ect4.
I know it is old, but the concept stays the same. Time him out.
You can do chip damage and he cant.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Smoke was far and away the most overrated character in MK9 history.

People spent 2.5+ years getting blown up for not understanding how to fight this poorly designed character

Still badass though

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I'm pretty sure Chicago knows how to fight Smoke since it's the home of the best Smoke and we all rank him as one of the best characters in the game.

LOL @ Smoke losing to Ermac. He can open you up the same way he opens anyone up. He dash blocks to d+4 range and then you must guess. Chip damage vs. Round Critical damage.