What's new

Match-up Discussion Smoke Match-Up Discussion Thread (2012 Post-EVO Update)

HD Smoke

Noob
Yeah, that is why I almost didn't respond to it in the first place lmao
I actually do think smoke is a beast it's just funny how people get worked up. Do I legit think smoke is 10-12th??? Yes I don't think he is as viable as the characters next to him like Kang n reptile but he is still good just a dumb design. Still want armor on ex bomb or tele punch though.

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
He is a beast. Not having the luxury of armor has actually taught me to play better and weigh risk v reward more often, and has made me a better counter-attacker with sub

CD jr

Noob
Still to this day don't think Smoke beats sub zero. All in all sub zero is just a better character but in this MU smoke can only run. Subs 2 is better than smokes and he has better footsies. Wafflez basis this off of his MU against soonk and Brady not against Denzel and a rush sub that puts smoke in the corner either beats smoke or it's 5-5. Why do we up play smoke so much???? CD jr will flat out tell you smoke sucks
smoke and sub zero is very 5-5

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Bored so I made a MU Chart because I feel like some of the ones in the OP have shifted a bit or I don't 100% agree with. I have also added some comments regarding if the MU is on the better or worse side of the actual MU number:

6-4 vs Baraka
6-4 vs Cyber Sub-Zero (This MU is weird and uncomfortable but is still advantage Smoke)
5-5 vs Cyrax (Human and Robot; on the edge of 5-5/4-6)
6-4 vs Ermac
6-4 vs Freddy Krueger (on the edge of 7-3/6-4)
7-3 vs Jade
4-6 vs Jax (on the edge of 4-6/5-5)
4-6 vs Johnny Cage
3-7 vs Kabal (Smoke's worst MU)
7-3 vs Kano
5-5 vs Kenshi
6-4 vs Kitana
3-7 vs Kung Lao
5-5 vs Liu Kang
6-4 vs Mileena
6-4 vs Nightwolf
6-4 vs Noob Saibot (on the edge of 7-3/6-4)
6-4 vs Quan Chi (on the edge of 7-3/6-4)
5-5 vs Raiden
6-4 vs Rain
5-5 vs Reptile
6-4 vs Scorpion
6-4 vs Sektor
7-3 vs Shang Tsung (on the edge of 7-3/6-4)
7-3 vs Sheeva
7-3 vs Sindel
5-5 vs Skarlet
5-5 vs Smoke
3-7 vs Sonya Blade (on the edge of 3-7/4-6)
6-4 vs Stryker
6-4 vs Sub-Zero

Advantage MU's (19)
Disadvantage MU's (5)
Even MU's (7; 8 if you count Human Cyrax)

Smoke is 4/6 with cyrax and 5/5 with Erma. 7/3 kano. 7/3 Stryker. I'm not sure about rain, almost wanna say 5/5 after playing foxy a few sessions.

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
RiBBz22, I don't understand your Cyrax #, can you clarify? I mean 5-5 means you think its close to even then the 4-6 you put after means maybe Cyrax wins?

RiBBz22

RiBBz22, I don't understand your Cyrax #, can you clarify? I mean 5-5 means you think its close to even then the 4-6 you put after means maybe Cyrax wins?
I am saying right now I think it is 5-5 but it is bordering on advantage Cyrax. I honestly feel it is slight advantage Cyrax after playing Krayzie because of the way he played the MU...but that was online so it doesn't means very little. Cyrax pressure and D4 advantage gives Smoke more problems than I want to admit.

Even though I feel it is slight advantage I still left it at a 5-5 because I still need more time to be convinced. Maybe if we play a bunch at a future tournament.

RiBBz22

Smoke is 4/6 with cyrax and 5/5 with Erma. 7/3 kano. 7/3 Stryker. I'm not sure about rain, almost wanna say 5/5 after playing foxy a few sessions.
I have watched F0xy's Rain and it is awesome. I don't see how you couldn't agree that he can overcome a 4-6 with him. Rain has to come to Smoke and his teleport and advancing strings are hella whiff punishable.

RiBBz22

Why 6-4 ermac? I dont know the MU im just curious.
Smoke can play his game against Ermac and get into the position he wants (edge of push range where he can bait and punish with SB), whereas Ermac has to react to reposition himself and get back into push range. Ermac loses all projectile trades and has slower normals which won't allow him to use his heavy punishes against Smoke's mistakes. Since Smoke's normals are faster than Ermac's, he can also handle himself up close in this MU as well and Ermac has to worry about trying to escape pressure with the threat of Smoke cancelling normals into SB.

RiBBz22

I expressed my thoughts on the Cyrax MU in my response to HAN. I don't agree with 7-3 Styker but you might have a point with Kano. I guess I don't play that MU often enough but I am sure that

:::: see below ::::

Glass Sword

Nobody
You know throwing around numbers like this is not going to accomplish anything. I use to think it had some sort of charm, but now I realize it is just a tremendous waste of time for people to say no this character beats this character for the reasons x, y and z.
Perhaps this thread could be better used to discuss strategies and character specific tech Smoke could use to make his life easier. I mean does it really matter at the end of the day if Cyrax vs. Smoke is a 5-5 or a 4-6?

RiBBz22

You know throwing around numbers like this is not going to accomplish anything. I use to think it had some sort of charm, but now I realize it is just a tremendous waste of time for people to say no this character beats this character for the reasons x, y and z.
Perhaps this thread could be better used to discuss strategies and character specific tech Smoke could use to make his life easier. I mean does it really matter at the end of the day if Cyrax vs. Smoke is a 5-5 or a 4-6?
The purpose is to promote MU discussion. Maybe someone has insight you have not thought of...that type of thing. There are a lot of collective minds here that have good thoughts to contribute that you might not think to consider when just playing the match out in the game.

Glass Sword

Nobody
The purpose is to promote MU discussion. Maybe someone has insight you have not thought of...that type of thing. There are a lot of collective minds here that have good thoughts to contribute that you might not think to consider when just playing the match out in the game.
Well we could start by making a list of strings characters have which whiff on Smoke when he is crouching and potential punishes be it a d1 or 2. We could also make proper list of which characters smoke's 112 string hits on crouch block. We could also make a list of characters who Smoke can stuff their down 3s with his standing 3. I'm not going to do it today maybe later this week when I have somebody to hold a controller for me.
There is plenty of stuff we can do even if it just improves Smoke's match ups that he already wins.

I have watched F0xy's Rain and it is awesome. I don't see how you couldn't agree that he can overcome a 4-6 with him. Rain has to come to Smoke and his teleport and advancing strings are hella whiff punishable.
No its not a hit on his rain. It's just that I don't think smoke really beats him in the footsie department, they're really even. Smoke has a reset, rain has almost as good damage w crazy armor and lots of great tools. It seems super fair to me. Like smoke kenshi.... Excellent examples of 5-5s Imo.

RiBBz22

No its not a hit on his rain. It's just that I don't think smoke really beats him in the footsie department, they're really even. Smoke has a reset, rain has almost as good damage w crazy armor and lots of great tools. It seems super fair to me. Like smoke kenshi.... Excellent examples of 5-5s Imo.
I think Smoke's footsies are slightly better, but I just think the real advantage in this MU is that Smoke is pretty free to be in his comfort zone of moving around the screen, forcing Rain to attack, and picking his spots to bait/punish him. I just feel like he has to take a lot of risks to get in and once Smoke gets the life lead it can be really tough with SB being able to punish whiffed attacks and specials.

Also, I think the resets make a difference because if I were a Rain player I would be a little more cautious to now throw out ex roundhouses liberally and instead just save them for breakers.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
LBSH, Smoke / Kung Lao matchup is 4-6. Smoke cannot get away from him, but can punish Kung Lao hard for a mistake.