What's new

Should NRS include an option to filter Wi-FI connections?

Wifi filter on Kombat League / ranked?

• Total voters

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
I dont see how wifi can be faster than wired when the main connection is wired to the wifi router in the first place? You are essentially removing the variable of the wireless router (which as far as i know can only be slower, never faster than the original connection)? Is there some actual technical reason why a wifi connection can ever be faster than it's base wired connection?
It’s essentially impossible. Either his cable or ports are faulty, his router settings are messed up, or this is anecdotal “it seems this way” nonsense. Same goes for the lag spikes. Either faulty equipment/settings, or absolute bs. It’s like saying some people’s Cars drive better under water.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I dont see how wifi can be faster than wired when the main connection is wired to the wifi router in the first place? You are essentially removing the variable of the wireless router (which as far as i know can only be slower, never faster than the original connection)? Is there some actual technical reason why a wifi connection can ever be faster than it's base wired connection?
I don’t know if it’s faster. All I know is my connection is consistently awful when I’m wired. I’ve tried multiple ethernet cables, including a brand new one. So idk what the problem is. But I have just about no issues with my WiFi so I’m not really worried about it right now. MK11 or gaming in general is so low on my priority list right now that it’s whatever to me.

I even have a video back when I played Prouddisciple and we were both wired. Constant lag spikes up to 200+ ping. That happens basically every game when I’m wired multiple times in a single match. On WiFi, it happens maybe once every 10 games or so.

Sesal Snow

Exorcist, Demonologist and Master of the Dark Arts
One thing to note is people could just get network adaptors this kinda tricks the console into thinking its wired because it has a cable from the adaptor to the console and it registers as wired in game. So you would still get a lot of wifi users but they would just be hidden under the adaptor.

CriticalDrop

Beers, grabs & dropped combos
Yes, absolutely. But about ping... I don't care too much if the connection is stable and without lag spikes. Everytime I've played against someone wired, even with a really high ping, It's been easy to adapt to the delay. To be honest, I barely notice the difference between pings when fighting wired people.

Yeah They should totally do this it will make players go buy a 50 foot ethernet cable and run it form the garge thru the kitchen up the stairs and to the bedroom.
!@@Why heck is this cord running thru the house.This shit has to go!!@Hey Mom and Dad I will unhook it when my ranked matches are over with.!!@

JSF

Waiting for Injustice 3
if they change the ping decline to 100 instead of 150 it would solve the problem. filtering out wifi would mean youd miss out on half the matches you normally get then people would complain that they either cant find games or ind horribe wifi matches.
actual skill/ping based matchmaking is the real issue that needs to be addressed

appo

º°˜¨EU¨˜°º
if they change the ping decline to 100 instead of 150 it would solve the problem. filtering out wifi would mean youd miss out on half the matches you normally get then people would complain that they either cant find games or ind horribe wifi matches.
actual skill/ping based matchmaking is the real issue that needs to be addressed
you know how a filter work? its...optional. so when you want to play against wifi players you still can do so and no a ping of 100 should be not the limit. it always goes up anyway. there is no need for a overall decline limit when you give people the option to filter out connections the way they want...which is possible..manually, in casual mode.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Yeah, it would alienate too much of the fanbase. I can only speak from experience, but I would say about 70% of the people I come across online use wifi which is why I mostly play kasual matches so you can decline them. I've literally never had a good connection with a wifi opponent despite some people saying "it's not that bad".
Who the fuck has Said WiFi isn't that bad? Its worlds apart even with mine Wired with above average Internet 30mbps up/15mbps down. Turns reactions into reads. Its an abomination. There is nothing competitive about playing vs WIFI its more like TestYourLuck Casusls on Ranked/KL which you can't deny and the cutoff is way to high at 150ms ping when it should be 100ms so matches are at least stable.

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
Who the fuck has Said WiFi isn't that bad? Its worlds apart even with mine Wired with above average Internet 30mbps up/15mbps down. Turns reactions into reads. Its an abomination. There is nothing competitive about playing vs WIFI its more like TestYourLuck Casusls on Ranked/KL which you can't deny and the cutoff is way to high at 150ms ping when it should be 100ms so matches are at least stable.
People on this very site have said so. Honestly can't believe wifi is even allowed, especially in fighters where reactions are so important.

big j gleez

Mains: Not Sure Right Now ...
Wifi filter would be nice. A Region filter is a must. I am sick of playing people in Russia and Brazil in 200+ bouncing ping. Also, an overall better detection system would be amazing. There are so many times it says 120 ping before the match and the entire set is 180+. The detection system prematch doesn't seem very accurate at times.

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
I voted yes but a better ping filter would suffice. I've had games against wifi that were perfectly playable when the ping was reasonable. What gets me is when matchmaking lists the opponent as a wifi warrior with a ping of 149 so you can't decline then in game its like 200.

If i had my way id probably decline every wifi warrior over 100 ms.

Inzzane_79

Every time someone farts, a demon gets his wings
I don’t know if it’s faster. All I know is my connection is consistently awful when I’m wired. I’ve tried multiple ethernet cables, including a brand new one. So idk what the problem is. But I have just about no issues with my WiFi so I’m not really worried about it right now. MK11 or gaming in general is so low on my priority list right now that it’s whatever to me.

I even have a video back when I played Prouddisciple and we were both wired. Constant lag spikes up to 200+ ping. That happens basically every game when I’m wired multiple times in a single match. On WiFi, it happens maybe once every 10 games or so.
Could be the ethernet intake (is it called that? English is not my first language) on your console

D

Deleted member 35141

I voted yes but a better ping filter would suffice. I've had games against wifi that were perfectly playable when the ping was reasonable. What gets me is when matchmaking lists the opponent as a wifi warrior with a ping of 149 so you can't decline then in game its like 200.

If i had my way id probably decline every wifi warrior over 100 ms.
I have had this happen so many times.

It's crazy that NRS addressed the wifi issue in the beta saying its a limited beta so everyone should play equally, yet here we are in the main game and now nrs has no excuse.

LawAbidingCitizen

Has nothing to do with being faster just more stable. WiFi fluctuates and that causes rollback not to work properly once it goes above a certain ping.
Wired is stable while most of the time WiFi isn't.

Sound like your router, Internet cables, or Internet connection. You should call your ISP to have this resolved. Wired is far more stable than WiFi and if its not something is wrong with yours. The only other thing I can think of is, do you have multiple people on your Internet at the same time. That will ruin both. Wired should be stable every time when playing vs wired connections. Is for me and everyone I know

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Has nothing to do with being faster just more stable. WiFi fluctuates and that causes rollback not to work properly once it goes above a certain ping.
Wired is stable while most of the time WiFi isn't.

Sound like your router, Internet cables, or Internet connection. You should call your ISP to have this resolved. Wired is far more stable than WiFi and if its not something is wrong with yours. The only other thing I can think of is, do you have multiple people on your Internet at the same time. That will ruin both. Wired should be stable every time when playing vs wired connections. Is for me and everyone I know
Yes I have multiple people on the same internet. And like I said, I very rarely have an issue with my WiFi so I’m not really worried about it right now.

I need to use a powerline Ethernet adapter because of how my house is. It's not perfect but it's better than wifi. Even though wifi has better speeds the variability kills it.

LawAbidingCitizen

Yes I have multiple people on the same internet. And like I said, I very rarely have an issue with my WiFi so I’m not really worried about it right now.
That's your problem then. WiFi is more unstable than Wired connection. If its not a problem for you then do what you do.
But for 90% of all people on average connections having:
Multiple devices on the same Internet.
WiFi

Will cause ping spikes and generally unstable connections compared to Wired vs Wired connections with no other devices on their respective connections. Having someone on YouTube while you are playing MK will take almost half of your bandwidth making the connection suffer.
But I'm willing to bet you have a better connection than most like 80mbps up/down or Fiber connection and if you had that it wouldn't matter as much.