What's new

Should block break be 1 bar?

Would you be in favour of block break buffed to one bar and half stamina?

• Yes

Votes: 32 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 24 42.9%

• Total voters

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
It would be more viable if it was 1 bar and 1 stamina but at the same time it will severely hurt characters with pressure strings such as LK, Dvorah, Scorpion, JC, Jax, KL etc. Would probably indirectly make 50/50 characters stronger..
these are my thoughts exactly.
there alot of talk from people saying MKX's 50/50 game too strong already and 1 bar block breakers would hurt pressure chars while helping 50/50 chars.
it would prop help the likes of summoner quan chi balanced kenshi etc aswell

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I disagree with the block breaker buff since I don't think it would solve any problem...the opponent would just run again and put you in the same situation after 2 seconds.

What should be done is get rid of all the semi block infinites this game has.

Scorpion, Dvorah, Lao, Liu Kang etc...should not get a billion frames advantage after their cancels or specials. Being forced to stand there and block for life until they finish meter-stamina is really stupid, doesn't show any actual skill and is also boring to watch imho.

Semi block infinites and lack of decent anti airs (for most of the roster) are the biggest problems of MK X. Some characters have litterally nothing to prevent Lao from jumping 2 like an idiot and then chip you to death...I hope next patches change this.
But Scorpion players have told me that these "semi-block infinite combos" are legitimate pressure strings and that normalizing them would make Scorpion no longer viable.

You do not believe them?

these are my thoughts exactly.
there alot of talk from people saying MKX's 50/50 game too strong already and 1 bar block breakers would hurt pressure chars while helping 50/50 chars.
it would prop help the likes of summoner quan chi balanced kenshi etc aswell
Why would you not just go for armor with kenshi.

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
If NRS does make block breakers restand both characters, please please PLEASE make both characters completely invincible during the animation.

Don't need a repeat of Sinestro's pushblock guardbreak with Quan Chi's bat or Sonya's drone.

If I had a penny for every time a "block breaker should cost less" was posted I'd have something like 4 or 5 pennies.
Yes, it should probably cost less btw.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I disagree with the block breaker buff since I don't think it would solve any problem...the opponent would just run again and put you in the same situation after 2 seconds.

What should be done is get rid of all the semi block infinites this game has.

Scorpion, Dvorah, Lao, Liu Kang etc...should not get a billion frames advantage after their cancels or specials. Being forced to stand there and block for life until they finish meter-stamina is really stupid, doesn't show any actual skill and is also boring to watch imho.

Semi block infinites and lack of decent anti airs (for most of the roster) are the biggest problems of MK X. Some characters have litterally nothing to prevent Lao from jumping 2 like an idiot and then chip you to death...I hope next patches change this.
I wish I didn't have to keep explaining this...

Scorpion, Liu Kang and D'vorah getting enough block advantage to get a free next block string unless they run out of stamina is completely deliberate, and that's why they're tied to stamina in the first place. Have you ever stopped to notice that all of their most advantageous strings are launchers where the last hit can't be hit-confirmed?

Between every character that has a run cancellable special, there's a reason why they only have them in 1 variation, and NRS aren't going to get rid of them, the only way they could be adjusted will drastically affect universal mechanics. Why M2Dave believes NRS will listen to somebody as rushdown inept as himself on the subject is beyond me.

Oh and by the way Mr. "Kung Jin is mid tier", there's nothing you can do to prevent Lao from using jumping 2 like an idiot? Forever King says otherwise, perhaps there's a correlation?

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
I wish I didn't have to keep explaining this...

Scorpion, Liu Kang and D'vorah getting enough block advantage to get a free next block string unless they run out of stamina is completely deliberate, and that's why they're tied to stamina in the first place. Have you ever stopped to notice that all of their most advantageous strings are launchers where the last hit can't be hit-confirmed?

Between every character that has a run cancellable special, there's a reason why they only have them in 1 variation, and NRS aren't going to get rid of them, the only way they could be adjusted will drastically affect universal mechanics. Why M2Dave believes NRS will listen to somebody as rushdown inept as himself on the subject is beyond me.

Oh and by the way Mr. "Kung Jin is mid tier", there's nothing you can do to prevent Lao from using jumping 2 like an idiot? Forever King says otherwise, perhaps there's a correlation?
Getting deliberately hit by the last hit of the strings to avoid being jailed in the blockstring is not a real solution, it just shows that these "semi block infinite" are a problem.

I never said Kung can't do shit about Lao jumping 2. I said that many characters don't have any solution, and that is absolutely true lol...what's your point?

* And yes, Kung Jin Bojutsu imho is not top 10 and everyone is dropping him for Lao or Erron for a reason, you know

Last edited:

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
It would be more viable if it was 1 bar and 1 stamina but at the same time it will severely hurt characters with pressure strings such as LK, Dvorah, Scorpion, JC, Jax, KL etc. Would probably indirectly make 50/50 characters stronger..
No matter how many times this is said people will just continue to ignore it.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Getting deliberately hit by the last hit of the strings to avoid being jailed in the blockstring is not a real solution, it just shows that these "semi block infinite" are a problem.

I never said Kung can't do shit about Lao jumping 2. I said that many characters don't have any solution, and that is absolutely true lol...what's your point?

* And yes, Kung Jin imho is not top 10 and everyone is dropping him for Lao or Erron for a reason, you know
Just like getting hit by the 2nd hit of Scorpions EX teleport in MK9 wasn't a solution? The 2nd hit was +10 and helped set up pressure for Scorpion and would be completely nullified if you just ate the 2nd hit of EX teleport. A lot of good high level players would use this to their advantage.

As a Scorpion player in MKX it's something I have to take into account when I go for my mindless block pressure. At least it adds depth to the situation and makes it so I cant just loop the string 3 times without thinking. Considering all the other shit that's in this game I wouldn't call these FBC's overpowered. They may seem unfair to some people but this game is loaded with crazy shit.

Last edited:

Nereus

Noob
While this is a good suggestion.. it's a double-edge sword. If you make it to where it costs 1 bar, string reliant characters such as Scorpion and LK get killed due to this. If they don't make it 1 bar, Scorpion and LK can continually do their pressure and leave you near helpless. The solution? Here's what i think should be the solution: Keep the frame advantage on block, but decrease the amount of times you can run-cancel these strings in a single session. Hell, Scorpion gets a 50-50 off of 214 FBC AND it's a true blockstring lmao..

EDIT: Certain characters are also not affected by the stamina change (Johnny Cage, etc.) so that is another problem. It's not that easy to fix tbh..

Last edited:

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!

* And yes, Kung Jin Bojutsu imho is not top 10 and everyone is dropping him for Lao or Erron for a reason, you know
I'm saying that if it tends to be a recurring solution (and it is) to these blockstrings, then it probably is what NRS intended. NRS doesn't make changes based on the entitled views of armchair critics upon what pressure "should" be. Like I said before, the fact that non hit-confirmable combo starters are generally the ones that have the most blockstun when run cancelled, let's be realistic, it's not just some random coincidence that NRS overlooked.

Forever King AAs Lao's jump 2 with consistent success with KJ's standing 1, which statistically is far from the best in terms of range or active frames. Characters with better AA normals aren't doing this as often, so it's not even an opinion, it factually says more about the player.

While this is a good suggestion.. it's a double-edge sword. If you make it to where it costs 1 bar, string reliant characters such as Scorpion and LK get killed due to this. If they don't make it 1 bar, Scorpion and LK can continually do their pressure and leave you near helpless. The solution? Here's what i think should be the solution: Keep the frame advantage on block, but decrease the amount of times you can run-cancel these strings in a single session. Hell, Scorpion gets a 50-50 off of 214 FBC AND it's a true blockstring lmao..

EDIT: Certain characters are also not affected by the stamina change (Johnny Cage, etc.) so that is another problem. It's not that easy to fix tbh..
Run cancelling is a universal mechanic and costs the same stamina for everybody. It WILL hurt other characters.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
I agree with this, improving block breaker wont make 5050 characters any worse, it'll just take away from characters with blockstrings.
Tempest Lao and JC dont have low options to open people up, so need to either spend stamina or meter to get some form of offense going.
Whats the worst Liu Kang is gonna hit you with? Throw? B2?
Or Lao/Cage? D4? Throw?

I say no. The purpose of block breaker is to use it when you have like 10% or less and you want to avoid the pressure at all costs. It's not meant to be used frequently. Maybe 2 bars are too much but 1 is too few, so, let it go. As others said this will destroy pressure characters.

MK_Al

Noob
I kind of agree that this would favour the 50/50 chars even more, but the blockbreaker mechanic is kind of useless at the moment. I mean who really uses it unless chip damage is going to kill 2nd round + 2 bars are avilable?