What's new

Should block break be 1 bar?

Would you be in favour of block break buffed to one bar and half stamina?

• Yes

Votes: 32 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 24 42.9%

• Total voters

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Hi.

My feeling is that block breaking should be one bar and half of your stamina (you would still need a full bar to initiate a block break), instead of two bars and a whole stamina bar, and for a very simple reason...the game is evolving and I think the game needs it more than ever.

We are starting to figure out consistent pressure, such as Erron Black landing consecutive 21122 MB Sand Grenades that lead to a 50/50 and then possible corner death. Kung Lao Tempest 11212/4 MB Hat Spin loops, almost never ending D'vorah cancels, Scorpion hell fire cancels, and not to forget Lui Kang fire ball cancels that you literally just have to sit in and wait, oh, and I almost forgot Quan Chi, how could I forget about Quan Chi...

But in all seriousness, apart from characters that have possible round winning kill set ups, there are also certain basic strings in the game that are dominating a lot of cast, some of these strings either ruin a possible footsie game, such as Cassie's main string (that leads to rocket knockdowns), Tanya's F2, or Shinnock's long reaching normals that lead to MB hell sparks into 50/50's and possible death loops, or even strings that put the opponent in a total guess game that doesn't really pit the opponents skill up against anything or than guessing, such as Cages B121212/B121/B1212121212/ etc etc.

At this point, we can't deny that this game is heavily centred around 50/50's, crazy offensive play and dice throw knockdowns, its almost like this game was built to use a block break and reward opponents for deciding to play defensive, and why shouldn't you have an option to push an opponent away when they could end the game with a block string or knockdown or corner carry?

Meter is incredibly important in this game, and spending two bars of it on a block break is just not going to happen at the highest level when Kung Lao for instance can just run in and start hammering it all out again because you have no stamina, which really forces you to start NJPing like an idiot to avoid and in coming sprint...that is why having at least one of stamina would be vital, instead of the will they NJP or won't they NJP "mind game" that comes after almost 90% of combo breaks.

I feel the defensive side of this game would be brought out much more by the inclusion of this change, I don't expect everyone to agree, but it's a mechanic that is never used because of how costly it is, and if it was implemented, I feel the game would open up to a whole new level, and it would add a bit more balance than we are currently seeing.

Just a thought.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
Definitely. All the problems you listed would be alleviated with this change instead of dishing out nerfs on all the problematic characters and strings.

Da Tac0

GT: C88 Taco
2 bars and half stamina is reasonable. I mean fuck how are you ever gonna combo when stamina regenerates so quickly and meter build up for run cancel characters is crazy. So it makes sense to think that whenever you poke through and get the upper hand they'll just do a breaker. That's the most dumbest idea I've read yet here.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
You also don't build any meter from blocking, so it would lend more viability to actually block someone, break them, and then have stamina to attempt aggression on your side.

THAT being said, I've noticed a number of proposed changes to defensive options for MKX lately. While I agree with them, I don't feel like ALL of them should be implemented. Well, at least not all at once.

Edit: DJT beat me to it with his post. I just can't read.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Yes, but these are my stipulations:
  • Costs 1 bar
  • Costs 1/2 stamina meter
  • Need full stamina to initiate
  • Leaves opponent standing at half screen and at -1 instead of hard knock down
  • Initiator does not take the chip damage of the hit that got broken as they currently do

If block breaker costs the same as a combo breaker, then, what the fuck is the point of it? If this was a 4 meter game, or combo breakers cost 3 bars, Id block breaker for two bars, but unless im worried about an unbreakable combo and the situation makes it necessary, why would I use this function. It would be annoying against pyro tanya/kenshi but this entire function is almost useless

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
We definitely havent had this argument before.

Let's just say I think defense in this game needs to be buffed in general. I wouldnt be against this.

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
My suggestion to NRS would be leave them at 2 bars of meter, but allow for characters to build 4 bars. I think 1 is to cheap for a block break, but 2 is far too expensive when you only have 3 bars

LEGEND

YES!
If it didn't take stamina I'd be happy. I can live with spending 2 bars to get out of some situations, as long as I can move or actually punish properly afterwords

Iustinus

Deus Fulminatus
2 Bars is just too much. They need to rework the system somehow. Otherwise it'll remain mostly useless outside of very specific circumstances. I think I've used it 5x more by accident than actually attempting it.

protools27

Rebel without a scene
If block breaker costs the same as a combo breaker, then, what the fuck is the point of it? If this was a 4 meter game, or combo breakers cost 3 bars, Id block breaker for two bars, but unless im worried about an unbreakable combo and the situation makes it necessary, why would I use this function. It would be annoying against pyro tanya/kenshi but this entire function is almost useless
This pretty much sums up my thoughts on it since day 1. Why would a block escape take the same amount of resources as a combo breaker? In all honestly though, I think block breakers should cost one bar, but they would also have to decrease the amount of meter some chars build. Hellfire scorp, Thunder God raiden etc build insane amounts of meter and would basically have a get out of jail free card out of pressure, making them even stronger.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
1) it won't alleviate the BS factor of long-ass blockstrings because you'll break and they can throw you right back into that situation. then you break again and they run up again. Put another way, I think it just delays the inevitable.

2) On the topic of delaying the inevitable, I also think this mechanic would make games a lot longer. It remains to be seen if 3/5 is still a reasonable format if each game gets significantly longer.

3) If you have a problem with guaranteed pressure strings, why not just get rid of those instead of changing a basic game mechanic? IMO the guaranteed pressure is just a silly game design gimmick that's boring to defend against and boring to watch. I'd much rather each of these characters have a single move that builds 2 bars, does 10% chip, and guarantees a mixup rather than forcing me to sit through 10 years of block strings lol.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
It's a goddamn block string, you shouldn't NEED to break it but if you do it shouldn't cost with 2 bars

This isn't going to affect actual breaker, the only reason I can imagine so many people have voted no is because they don't want their character nerfed. Having 2 bar Block breakers makes no sense to me

#stopBlocksploitation

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
I was for 1 bar and half Stamina then I realized that some characters pretty much rely on certain block strings to gain meter, this would kill shinnok. Characters like Sonya who do not need meter for anything or stamina to do her combos would get "buffed."

I think it should be 1 bar of meter and full stamina for the full 8 seconds just like breaking a combo.

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
I disagree with the block breaker buff since I don't think it would solve any problem...the opponent would just run again and put you in the same situation after 2 seconds.

What should be done is get rid of all the semi block infinites this game has.

Scorpion, Dvorah, Lao, Liu Kang etc...should not get a billion frames advantage after their cancels or specials. Being forced to stand there and block for life until they finish meter-stamina is really stupid, doesn't show any actual skill and is also boring to watch imho.

Semi block infinites and lack of decent anti airs (for most of the roster) are the biggest problems of MK X. Some characters have litterally nothing to prevent Lao from jumping 2 like an idiot and then chip you to death...I hope next patches change this.

Reactions: D4G