What's new

Strategy "Shazam!" -- Captain Marvel General Discussion Thread

xanderK

Noob
Literally signed up on the site to post this.

Just picked up Injustice and I've been messing with Shazam a lot and found something pretty awesome.

So you know how in other fighting games, instant overheads are popular for quick, extra damage? Like jump back HK in SF or whatever?

Well Shazam can do this with his j.2. And combo off of it.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™

Just picked up Injustice and I've been messing with Shazam a lot and found something pretty awesome.

So you know how in other fighting games, instant overheads are popular for quick, extra damage? Like jump back HK in SF or whatever?

holy crap that gives that much hitstun!?

I've done instant overhead j2 on accident a few times before but wow I never would have guessed that you could combo off of it! very nice.

xanderK

Noob
holy crap that gives that much hitstun!?

I've done instant overhead j2 on accident a few times before but wow I never would have guessed that you could combo off of it! very nice.
Yup. You can also instant overhead with j.1 and j.3 but you can't really get anything off of it. I tested it with every character (though I might be wrong about some of them) and only got the j.2 into combo to work on Joker, Harley, Bane and Nightwing. The j.3 stuff works with a bunch of characters but the only thing they get off of it is whatever air special they have (for example, Green Arrow can do this).

Yup. You can also instant overhead with j.1 and j.3 but you can't really get anything off of it. I tested it with every character (though I might be wrong about some of them) and only got the j.2 into combo to work on Joker, Harley, Bane and Nightwing. The j.3 stuff works with a bunch of characters but the only thing they get off of it is whatever air special they have (for example, Green Arrow can do this).
Nice find, I've also done this randomly and thought i was imagining that it combo'd. Though what I don't get is say sometimes I do a j2 crossup and delay my ground confirm (like 22) with less time inbetween the inputting the hits than that instant overhead to ground combo in your video and it doesnt combo. It seems like it just may be the dial a combo system or different hitstun on the crossup.

yes great stuff, i found the fuzzy setup to be pretty good as well.

another piece of tech, is this

i love shazams down 3 soooo

after any down 3 hit, immediately dash in (shazam will ground cross up). then, jump straight up and press 2.
depending on when u input 2 in the air, it will either cross up or not cross up : p

edit (sorry for the bad qual):

after any down 3 hit, immediately dash in (shazam will ground cross up). then, jump straight up and press 2.
depending on when u input 2 in the air, it will either cross up or not cross up : p

I noticed this a couple nights ago when I was trying to figure out how to get him to dash on the other side of the opponent for a mixup after a sweep. I've been trying it but noticed that they can wakeup and hit you, or even backdash out; its not tight. You'd really have to get them to do nothing to hit with this.

If anyone is wondering, do the j2 as late as possible to hit in the front, or do the j2 early to crossup.

Also, been messing around with doing DBF1 MB, b3, Trait. You miss out on followup damage but you can get a nice jump in if they dont roll and then you are on them with trait on. Trying hard to find applications for his trait because lets be honest, that thing pumps the damage up high but it has 43 recovery frames.

Jy0

Destroyer of Lazy
but does it work on a crouching opponent? actually being an over head? because working on a standing opponent it's nice and all but... not what instant overheads are actually good for usually...

I noticed this a couple nights ago when I was trying to figure out how to get him to dash on the other side of the opponent for a mixup after a sweep. I've been trying it but noticed that they can wakeup and hit you, or even backdash out; its not tight. You'd really have to get them to do nothing to hit with this.

If anyone is wondering, do the j2 as late as possible to hit in the front, or do the j2 early to crossup.

Also, been messing around with doing DBF1 MB, b3, Trait. You miss out on followup damage but you can get a nice jump in if they dont roll and then you are on them with trait on. Trying hard to find applications for his trait because lets be honest, that thing pumps the damage up high but it has 43 recovery frames.

aiight good to know! though im assuming they would have to correctly input their wake up option, since it crosses them up. my friend was always unsure what way to input his wake up attack.

also what u said about the trait is true, but at least its not as bad as cyborgs lol

Nice D3 setup Freddyloco, good way to end the combo since shit scales too much, you can also get a free meaty inescapable grab with shazam after any D3...havent had time to post the vids of an anti air but my Theory was stumped anyway, but I got another idea so its cool. Ill post as soon as I find something

snip
Instant overheads are popular in other FG because they hit crouching opponents.

There are a couple of similar techniques in IGAU such as Hawkgirls j,d3 and Green Arrow's jumping arrow tech. This is not one of them, sadly.

Edit: everyone already pointed this out lol

Sorry to double post but I've just been messing with this.

Whether or not it crosses up doesn't seem to have anything to do with how you time the j2. Maybe something to do with the distance of the sweep and the timing of the dash (if you dash/jump late, you'll get a non-crossup every time).

However, wakeup crossups can be done deliberately in the corner off Torpedo, you don't even have to jump. If you press anything (including walking) before the opponent gets up, you will be in the corner, if not you will stay on the outside. It's not hard to time it so that's it's completely ambiguous.

Redk9

Noob

I thought this was very interesting. But it can be dashed out of forward, or backwards by most of the cast.

How does Shazam do against Batman/Flash/Nightwing?
I've actually been having loads of trouble with competent Dicks with good staff pressure. If they stay in Kali stance, it feels like an easier matchup, but once the pull out Staff 1 Forward 1/ Down 1 pressure, I get bopped hard. Only other matchups I've been having a bit of trouble with is Doomsday(i seriously need so much practice against him, they're rare in my online adventures but dear jesus when they appear)/Black Adam as well (its kinda ironic how characters that usually get their asses handed to them in the comics/canon are like hard counters to their opposites like the Doomsday vs Superman/ Shazam vs Black Adam matchup lol)