What's new

Strategy "Shazam!" -- Captain Marvel General Discussion Thread

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
For some reason I'm having some really awkward timing issues with the 22 after a f223.

Did anyone else overcome this issue?

Is that corner setup making them face the opposite direction?
I dont think so, it makes shazam go into the corner but if you jump later, he can land as if he was on the other side even though the way he's facing isnt really where he's supposed to land

Sneak

Noob
I don't think so, it makes shazam go into the corner but if you jump later, he can land as if he was on the other side even though the way he's facing isn't really where he's supposed to land
Wow, I just tried it and when I held up + forward it made me jump out of the corner. That's pretty confusing. I'm gonna work on using this.

I don't understand why people think this character isn't good. He has amazing stuff.
Honestly, I think there are many reasons why people regard him as not so good. I think the 2 big reasons are:

1. His trait is not as good as some of the cast, and is hard to activate safely (so far? I hope I'm proved wrong on this!)​
2. He has trouble getting in​
I feel he will be a mid tier character at best, but I'm going to continue to use him anyway. I could be wrong, this is just my opinion one week into the game.​

BlackKen

Noob
I stream at http://www.twitch.tv/egpwonderchef if I'm live you can usually see it on the main forum page in the top right corner.
Just watched the archive from your stream, awesome shazam play, I learned a lot! Those ares matches looked frustrating for sure, i was playing with a friend and he was spamming it blatantly. My 2 cents on how to deal: basically its a good move but its got hella recovery so you can armor 3 it for a full punish. Thats all I could come up with though. Like you I was having the same mixed results when trying to teleport out of it. Wakeups in this game are a lot faster than capcom games ;\

edit: just saw it was the ex version... i retract my earlier claim, not sure what would happen; if it could absorb that'd be great

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Just watched the archive from your stream, awesome shazam play, I learned a lot! Those ares matches looked frustrating for sure, i was playing with a friend and he was spamming it blatantly. My 2 cents on how to deal: basically its a good move but its got hella recovery so you can armor 3 it for a full punish. Thats all I could come up with though. Like you I was having the same mixed results when trying to teleport out of it. Wakeups in this game are a lot faster than capcom games ;\
Yeah the timing is tough. I went to training mode after and practiced it a bit though.

Also here is an offline match I recorded yesterday:

^^ will check soon, but from what I see, hes the peoples character..people love this shit haha.

Gonna start grinding hard soon, I havent playing as much as I want to lately =(

Phase 3

Feels Good Man
I'll likely be maining Shazam as well. I expect to use him exclusively at this Saturday's Yestercades tournament. I'll also be posting up any recent tech I've found somehwere on this forum, whether it be in my guide or in here or something.

I, too, like being a hero.

Only misfortune: most tournaments are unlikely to have my beloved New 52 costume.

I used him on stream at WNF! SHAZAM!
I checked the matches earlier today (UTC +1) and overall I liked your play. I learned a number of things atleast. However I'm still AMAZED how many people just keep standing up when blocking against Shazam and getting bodied by på dbf+1.

I recorded my latest offline adventures myself that can be watched at
I would very much appreciate some feedback but I understand watching all ~50min of scrubbyness can be boring :)
Also I'd like to state this is my first time playing a NRS title, I'm playing on a stick and it's my second day playing Shazam and third time against human competition so basically day 2...

Yaysian

#putsmokeinmkx
How are you guys dealing with the Batman matchup? Playing against competent players and top players who play Batman is absolutely horrible. Batman can pressure you for free and blow you up even you attempt to punish anything. I think he counters Shazam due to how safe he is and how much faster his normals come out. Not to mention the zoning and rushdown Batman possesses.

CCVengeance

The one guy hoping for Kai
How are you guys dealing with the Batman matchup? Playing against competent players and top players who play Batman is absolutely horrible. Batman can pressure you for free and blow you up even you attempt to punish anything. I think he counters Shazam due to how safe he is and how much faster his normals come out. Not to mention the zoning and rushdown Batman possesses.
I handle him like I handle all my match-ups: Mash dat B2:cool:

Yaysian

#putsmokeinmkx
I handle him like I handle all my match-ups: Mash dat B2:cool:
I can't do anything on his wake up. Or even mash that because of how fast his normals come out. His B2 beats Shazam's B2. Against competent players they start to armor B3/F3 on wakeup to avoid the command grab mixup. It's hella rough playing against players who actually pay attention to what Shazam is doing. >.>

CCVengeance

The one guy hoping for Kai
I can't do anything on his wake up. Or even mash that because of how fast his normals come out. His B2 beats Shazam's B2. Against competent players they start to armor B3/F3 on wakeup to avoid the command grab mixup. It's hella rough playing against players who actually pay attention to what Shazam is doing. >.>
I feel you,man.I know he is not the best but Batman is the character that scares me the most in this game.I am still learning the game so I am still too uninformed for proper match-up talk.

I used him on stream at WNF! SHAZAM!

www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/395337812?t=1h42m0s

I definitely lost my focus the 2nd game. I got mindfucked by the lifts.

Shazam is definitely going to be my main as this game progresses! I love him so much! I definitely should have stuck with him the whole night; I only lost when I switched =[

SHAZAM!

tldr;

I like being a hero!
watched the first game vs the green lantern. great match man. i learned even more again :) gonna watch the rest this weekend because, well i'm fucking busy from now untill late toninght

Momentum

Proud owner of the briefcase hitbox
I just play keep away with teleports until i'm at full meter

Sneak

Noob
I don't think armor b3 is a legit way to get out of the command grab vortex? I don't think the armor is active quick enough but I'm not 100% sure.

New here, just was in training and found something, sorry if it has already been looked into. Anyways, after doing a MB Herculean Might, I accidentally delayed a b23 and the 2 whiffed but the 3 snagged in the back right on wake up. So a potential instant overhead crossup maybe, also leads into an immediate meaty j2 crossup or whatever. I figure there are some better combo enders where this can be done right away. That's all.
Nvm, it is not an overhead but still an instant crossup.

New here, just was in training and found something, sorry if it has already been looked into. Anyways, after doing a MB Herculean Might, I accidentally delayed a b23 and the 2 whiffed but the 3 snagged in the back right on wake up. So a potential instant overhead crossup maybe, also leads into an immediate meaty j2 crossup or whatever. I figure there are some better combo enders where this can be done right away. That's all.
Nvm, it is not an overhead but still an instant crossup.
that might lead to a nice reset, I think I'll try to experiment, good stuff man. And I think I found an anti-air option =D gonna test because its just a theory at the moment