What's new

Rising Thunder (Alpha) Discussion & Matchmaking Thread

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Right after I posted, I found this on Reddit. Hope that helps some?
Ok let's organize some ideas about Edge here.

Since I'm used to numbers system for inputs, I'm gonna use this:
Light = 1
Medium = 2
Heavy = 3

Specials of course are already called Alpha, Beta and Gamma for everyone, so that's cool.

Here are the strings I know of so far:
D1 D1 D1

So does this game link combos street fighter style or what? Because I see in the thread you link that they are doing this combo:
(point blank) st.M > cr.L > st.MxHxxSpecial

I didn't know this was possible...

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
The combo system is like Street Fighter. Except in this you have 3 attack buttons light, medium, heavy. Then the rest of the buttons are yours specials. What's unique about this game is that the special moves are one button so it removes the motions of quarter circles etc. This game is heaven, and the netcode is a lot better than MKX. I'm in love.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
There are links and also chains. With edge i've been doing (cr.L), cr.L, cl.MHHxxHeavy Gamma, dash, cl.HxxAlpha. If I'm close to the corner I don't use the wallbounce from heavy gamma and just go straight to alpha. Did not know you can do cl.M into cr.L though.

I guess with numbers it would be cr.1, cl.233xxHeavy Gamma, dash, cl.3xxAplha.

The first L/1 is in parenthesis because you can do 1 or 2 to confirm. I don't know the best way to write the followups for Edge's special moves so hopefully heavy gamma isn't too confusing. Maybe Gamma3?

Also I wouldn't call anything a string. More like a target combo since they only come out on hit/block, not whiff. (Which is the way i prefer in a 2d fighter.)

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
There are links and also chains. With edge i've been doing (cr.L), cr.L, cl.MHHxxHeavy Gamma, dash, cl.HxxAlpha. If I'm close to the corner I don't use the wallbounce from heavy gamma and just go straight to alpha. Did not know you can do cl.M into cr.L though.

I guess with numbers it would be cr.1, cl.233xxHeavy Gamma, dash, cl.3xxAplha.

The first L/1 is in parenthesis because you can do 1 or 2 to confirm. I don't know the best way to write the followups for Edge's special moves so hopefully heavy gamma isn't too confusing. Maybe Gamma3?

Also I wouldn't call anything a string. More like a target combo since they only come out on hit/block, not whiff. (Which is the way i prefer in a 2d fighter.)
OK cool so we have both chains and links. Now if only we have some frame data to see what exactly we can do lol.

Either way this is a lot of fun and I hope we get a beta soon enough to have more stuff to look at.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I honestly think Dauntless v Edge is one of the worst matchups. Dauntless has great normals, mixups and damage. Edge has great mixups and damage but dauntless's are easier. Like I have to get in but I can't and since my DP has a cooldown I'd have to run away until it comes back, Any edge players figure this out?

Scott The Scot

I honestly think Dauntless v Edge is one of the worst matchups. Dauntless has great normals, mixups and damage. Edge has great mixups and damage but dauntless's are easier. Like I have to get in but I can't and since my DP has a cooldown I'd have to run away until it comes back, Any edge players figure this out?
No, I play Dauntless and the edge match is fine but have you played the match against Chel? She can just zone. Maybe we shouldn't talk about how bad a matchup is in the alpha though lol

This game is sick, Crow is super fun to play.
Have you tried Dauntless yet? She's very fun to play imo.

Scott The Scot

My BnB with Dauntless (Kinetic Advance) is:
st.l > st.l > Cold Drill > Kinetic Advance > st.l > st.l > Dust Breaker and that does 148 but if you replace the first st.l > st.l with cr.m then it does 189 damage. You can actually cancel the Dust Breaker into super for more damage (I don't recall) and if you're close enough or right in the corner then you can do a jumping Cold Drill and that does, once again, more damage. I love this character.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
No, I play Dauntless and the edge match is fine but have you played the match against Chel? She can just zone. Maybe we shouldn't talk about how bad a matchup is in the alpha though lol

Have you tried Dauntless yet? She's very fun to play imo.
Well what does edge do against dauntless when you play? As for chel, Edge can absorb projectiles with his Alpha so it's actually not that bad lol. I figure Dauntless would just armor through projectiles or do that spin hook. An alpha is a fine time to talk matchups.

Scott The Scot

Well what does edge do against dauntless when you play? As for chel, Edge can absorb projectiles with his Alpha so it's actually not that bad lol. I figure Dauntless would just armor through projectiles or do that spin hook. An alpha is a fine time to talk matchups.
Well, I play Dauntless but everytime I play against an Edge it's always just footsies, blocking and punishing - especially that low slide, I need to always make sure that they know they can't throw that out for free and get awaywith it. It's nothing too big to deal with, it seems fairly equal. Dauntless can use her dustbreaker to go through it and her revolving hook but you need to be quite close for that to work and Chels shouldn't be throwing fireballs at point-blank range.

I thought you weren't supposed to really to talk about matchups this early into a game's development, maybe I'm too used to NRS games and the community crucifying people for that sort of stuff haha

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Well, I play Dauntless but everytime I play against an Edge it's always just footsies, blocking and punishing - especially that low slide, I need to always make sure that they know they can't throw that out for free and get awaywith it. It's nothing too big to deal with, it seems fairly equal. Dauntless can use her dustbreaker to go through it and her revolving hook but you need to be quite close for that to work and Chels shouldn't be throwing fireballs at point-blank range.

I thought you weren't supposed to really to talk about matchups this early into a game's development, maybe I'm too used to NRS games and the community crucifying people for that sort of stuff haha
I'm fine with discussing matchups cause i see as just a fun part of playing fighters. The characters interact in different ways and it's cool to see what's what. . . at least imo. I know some people get too crazy with it. Plus I actually need help with this lol. And I'm sure the guys at Radiant want to know what everyone is feeling on balance. Obviously nothing concrete cause it's so early but a general feel. Maybe that's just me if I was designing a fighter.

Can't dauntless rush punch through the fireballs? I figured since it has armor on it, but I don't know if it's safe. feels like it. As for the hook why not just use the invincibility on it to get through the fireball not just as a way to punish chel for throwing them out.

As for edge, I meant what does edge do to you. When I play against a dauntless it's just me trying to figure a way in while the Dauntless press any and all buttons. Her pokes outrange Edge and I've jumped over a few mashing Dauntless just for them to block my crossup anyways. Really feels like an uphill battle right now.

Scott The Scot

I'm fine with discussing matchups cause i see as just a fun part of playing fighters. The characters interact in different ways and it's cool to see what's what. . . at least imo. I know some people get too crazy with it. Plus I actually need help with this lol. And I'm sure the guys at Radiant want to know what everyone is feeling on balance. Obviously nothing concrete cause it's so early but a general feel. Maybe that's just me if I was designing a fighter.

Can't dauntless rush punch through the fireballs? I figured since it has armor on it, but I don't know if it's safe. feels like it. As for the hook why not just use the invincibility on it to get through the fireball not just as a way to punish chel for throwing them out.

As for edge, I meant what does edge do to you. When I play against a dauntless it's just me trying to figure a way in while the Dauntless press any and all buttons. Her pokes outrange Edge and I've jumped over a few mashing Dauntless just for them to block my crossup anyways. Really feels like an uphill battle right now.
I like your attitutde to discussing matchups, don't see that a lot around here haha. I currently feel the game is generally well balanced with the 6, 7 or 8 characters there is.

Oh the Cold Drill, now that you mention it I haven't tried it but it should work. I think the blue around her is super armour, like Talo's f+h. I'll give it a shot next time I run into that, thanks!

What does Edge do to me? Edge generally starts by throwing out some unsafe low slides, which I punish after blocking. Then after that, if I throw out a poke it's his job to whiff punish me or do a jump in punch. Edge also has to make sure he punishes me when I throw out a Dust Breaker and he blocks it as it's hella unsafe.

Scott The Scot

Ooh just found a more damaging BnB for Dauntless, well, more than my current BnB.

Any starter you want:
st.l > st.l
cr.l > st.l
cr.m
st.h

Starter > Dust Breaker > Kinetic Advance > Revolving Hook

Think it does around 150 - 270 damage for one Kinetic bar, depending on the starter.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I like your attitutde to discussing matchups, don't see that a lot around here haha. I currently feel the game is generally well balanced with the 6, 7 or 8 characters there is.

Oh the Cold Drill, now that you mention it I haven't tried it but it should work. I think the blue around her is super armour, like Talo's f+h. I'll give it a shot next time I run into that, thanks!

What does Edge do to me? Edge generally starts by throwing out some unsafe low slides, which I punish after blocking. Then after that, if I throw out a poke it's his job to whiff punish me or do a jump in punch. Edge also has to make sure he punishes me when I throw out a Dust Breaker and he blocks it as it's hella unsafe.
How are you punishing slide? It seems safe to me lol.

Which pokes do you throw out that get whiff punished? When I play Edge, Dauntless is either using what i assume aer cr.L(simple kneeling punch) and cr.M (Dauntless lays on the ground and fully extends one arm) I think both of these lead to combos and I can't ever seem to lay a finger on her.

Once I do get in I try to make most of my time with pressure and the like but it's one hell of a time getting to that point which is my main problem.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
The slide is +1
Well there it is. Mind telling me how you know?

Just find out Talos's super switches sides. Why are people doing this to grapplers. Got a chel in the corner and caught her with super just to give her more space to get away. I can live with the distance but why switch sides? :(:(