What's new

Match-up Discussion Reptile Matchup Discussion Thread

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I'll probably have to try playing keepaway vs Sonya. I think I have some ways to deal with her, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't work.

That fact that she can punish dash with dive kick and forward moving armor really hurt reptile game. I think her arc kick can actually punish reptile's fb pretty consistency on reaction.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
That fact that she can punish dash with dive kick and forward moving armor really hurt reptile game. I think her arc kick can actually punish reptile's fb pretty consistency on reaction.
Arc can punish very consistently from the right spacing, the mu is ridiculous. She takes away almost every aspect of Reptile's game that he thrives on.

Does anyone here think kenshi is a bad match up? I played against blackula for awhile now (online ofcourse...), and I feel like fighting a 6-4 mu Kenshi. Am I fighting him the wrong way or I just cant punish him/ I dont space well because of lag?

Mattman

Warlock Nerd
Does anyone here think kenshi is a bad match up? I played against blackula for awhile now (online ofcourse...), and I feel like fighting a 6-4 mu Kenshi. Am I fighting him the wrong way or I just cant punish him/ I dont space well because of lag?
i do. ive really only played online against kenshi but seeing as how online normally helps reptile i think its safe to say hes a bad mu for Reppy T. he dont even need to be near you to punch the shit out of you and without a teleport he can keep reptile away pretty well.
also, his reflect

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I think its 5-5, you can't just recklessly go in in this mu or you'll get blown up. watch your dash is because spirit charge is always a threat. The only projectiles you want to use are slow force balls and ex slow force balls, and try to keep yourself out of the corner at all times.

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
OOO NEW SHIT FOR VS SEKTOR!

I learned Reptile can keep up with Sektor in projectiles way better than I originally thought. The key is to be ready to techroll if you're throwing a projectile and a missile gets on screen. If you spit, and see missile, mash your buttons. Upon rolling, immediately spit. You can potentially get spit out and not be nailed by missile from range. YAY REPTILE CAN THROW PROJECTILES VS SEKTOR AND KEEP UP!
I was failing to keep you out consistently with Sektor. I noticed you doing this alot :)

THTB

I think its 5-5, you can't just recklessly go in in this mu or you'll get blown up. watch your dash is because spirit charge is always a threat. The only projectiles you want to use are slow force balls and ex slow force balls, and try to keep yourself out of the corner at all times.
As far as I'm aware, if you elbow by teleflurry or TKS, you can elbow again and it catches him during recovery. Staying just outside of spirit charge range allows you to spit him as well. It's not too bad of a matchup, really. I can't see a reason why it's not even.

Also, has anyone noticed how good Reptile's numbers are overall? I mean, going by who is top 5 in Tom's tier list, he has really good matchups vs all of them. Not one matchup goes worse than even.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
As far as I'm aware, if you elbow by teleflurry or TKS, you can elbow again and it catches him during recovery. Staying just outside of spirit charge range allows you to spit him as well. It's not too bad of a matchup, really. I can't see a reason why it's not even.

Also, has anyone noticed how good Reptile's numbers are overall? I mean, going by who is top 5 in Tom's tier list, he has really good matchups vs all of them. Not one matchup goes worse than even.
You are right about that, teleflurry and TKS are easy for Reptile to punish that's why it's very important for Kenshi to zone carefully, when he hits a spirit charge he can far TKS the knockdown, then close TKS an elbow dash, most Kenshi's are used to doing far mid, which is why they whiff the second one against Reptile a lot. (Since I play both I know better :p) He could also SC the elbow dash, that's why the SFB's/spits can be important, it helps you get in.

Also I did notice that about his numbers, and honestly I felt the way Tom had some of Reptile's mu's he could possibly be higher on the tier list than where he was (though I'm sure the same could be said about other characters).

Medina4life

Media Master
Does Reptile get blown up by Cyrax? It's probably just the way I play it but find that mu pretty hard. I end up spitting whenever I see his chest open and then put Fb's on the screen. Idk, what is the agreed mu vs Cyrax? Also, what are some tips in playing him? Noobe blew me up at FR

THTB

You are right about that, teleflurry and TKS are easy for Reptile to punish that's why it's very important for Kenshi to zone carefully, when he hits a spirit charge he can far TKS the knockdown, then close TKS an elbow dash, most Kenshi's are used to doing far mid, which is why they whiff the second one against Reptile a lot. (Since I play both I know better :p) He could also SC the elbow dash, that's why the SFB's/spits can be important, it helps you get in.

Also I did notice that about his numbers, and honestly I felt the way Tom had some of Reptile's mu's he could possibly be higher on the tier list than where he was (though I'm sure the same could be said about other characters).
Reptile has a lot of even matchups. He doesn't lose hard to many of the better characters at all. I do feel he's top 10 easy. It's not easy to zone him at all...he can counter-zone almost every character in the game effectively, but it's still not free. There's only 3 characters that are a legit struggle...Sonya, Freddy, and Mileena. Freddy and Mileena aren't too bad, anyway...Sonya is a bitch (But I'm slowly learning it).

Medina4life If Cyrax is sitting back, trying to zone, he's losing. Reptile can easily deal with a keepaway Cyrax (A lot of characters can). Cyrax's offense and footsies are really good, but he doesn't flat-out beat Reptile if he gets in, either. The major issue, though, is that Cyrax is a fucking deathbringer lmao. Getting touched by him sucks ass.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Reptile has a lot of even matchups. He doesn't lose hard to many of the better characters at all. I do feel he's top 10 easy. It's not easy to zone him at all...he can counter-zone almost every character in the game effectively, but it's still not free. There's only 3 characters that are a legit struggle...Sonya, Freddy, and Mileena. Freddy and Mileena aren't too bad, anyway...Sonya is a bitch (But I'm slowly learning it).
Yeah there aren't any mu's that are heavily in his favor, and only one that is truly aweful. (I still don't know what to do about Sonya lol, that shit is nuts) How do you play the Sonya MU? I agree he's top ten, I would probably say either right at 10th or 9th.

Medina4life Cyrax is a pretty even MU, you have to sit back and zone it's a godsend in this MU haha. just dodge the bombs block the nets and throw out projectiles, one will hit eventually and then you can control the pace. Be careful of tele's too though. I like to ex ffb when he tries to throw the net out, the recovery on ex ffb is really fast and net's recovery is horrible, so usually it hits, and you still have time to elbow dash up and combo.

KevoDaMaN

The 6
Yeah there aren't any mu's that are heavily in his favor, and only one that is truly aweful. (I still don't know what to do about Sonya lol, that shit is nuts) How do you play the Sonya MU? I agree he's top ten, I would probably say either right at 10th or 9th.

Medina4life Cyrax is a pretty even MU, you have to sit back and zone it's a godsend in this MU haha. just dodge the bombs block the nets and throw out projectiles, one will hit eventually and then you can control the pace. Be careful of tele's too though.
THTB Plays my sonya he got a sick plan that hes putting together for her

Medina4life

Media Master

Medina4life If Cyrax is sitting back, trying to zone, he's losing. Reptile can easily deal with a keepaway Cyrax (A lot of characters can). Cyrax's offense and footsies are really good, but he doesn't flat-out beat Reptile if he gets in, either. The major issue, though, is that Cyrax is a fucking deathbringer lmao. Getting touched by him sucks ass.
hm... I need to start playing online more so I can learn MU's. I decided I want to become at least decent at this game. Mainly to be a better commentator but also because I get mad salty at big majors when I get blown up by stupid things. I shall be harassing you guys more from now on. Hope you don't mind :p

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
hm... I need to start playing online more so I can learn MU's. I decided I want to become at least decent at this game. Mainly to be a better commentator but also because I get mad salty at big majors when I get blown up by stupid things. I shall be harassing you guys more from now on. Hope you don't mind :p
Do you play on psn?

THTB

Honestly, you can learn a lot online. Just don't play anybody lol...play people you know are competent.

Medina4life

Media Master

Medina4life Cyrax is a pretty even MU, you have to sit back and zone it's a godsend in this MU haha. just dodge the bombs block the nets and throw out projectiles, one will hit eventually and then you can control the pace. Be careful of tele's too though. I like to ex ffb when he tries to throw the net out, the recovery on ex ffb is really fast and net's recovery is horrible, so usually it hits, and you still have time to elbow dash up and combo.

Can you punish Cyrax's tele with anything more than d4 acid hand or uppercut? I've learned to do AA punishes with 1 ffb 32 sfb 321 what the hell ever I want to end it with. 1 is better to use than 2 because of the cancel advantage right? force ball comes out quicker? At least that's how i read the frame data.. I'm still trying to understand how that works

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Can you punish Cyrax's tele with anything more than d4 acid hand or uppercut? I've learned to do AA punishes with 1 ffb 32 sfb 321 what the hell ever I want to end it with. 1 is better to use than 2 because of the cancel advantage right? force ball comes out quicker? At least that's how i read the frame data.. I'm still trying to understand how that works
You can elbow dash teleport I think, but I wouldn't risk that because if you time it wrong you get punished big time, I would stick with the basic stuff. As for AA's 2 is better in most people's opinion because it's hitbox is way bigger, one is still solid because the fb does come out quicker, you just have to be more precise with it. As for PSN yeah I can pm you. I will hit you up on PSN today if you want.

Medina4life

Media Master
So is 1 or 2 better? Should hitbox>better chance of getting the forceball to come out? Either way, for the fb to connect you need to be more precise anyway so wouldn't it just be safer to stick with 1 AA?

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
So is 1 or 2 better? Should hitbox>better chance of getting the forceball to come out? Either way, for the fb to connect you need to be more precise anyway so wouldn't it just be safer to stick with 1 AA?
Well I have started using 2 because I feel that one is better, it can hit people at the arc of their jump which makes it harder for them to JIP/JIK you, and you get the combo punish.

THTB

Doesn't hitting him during teleport recovery result in an airborne punish? If so, 32 xx forceball works.

As for fighting Sonya, I'm working on a gameplan similar to how REO faces off vs Jax.

THTB

I used 32 vs a couple Cyrax players and it always resulted in them being airborne.