What's new

General/Other - Reptile Reptile General Discussion

What do you think is the best variation to use?

• Total voters

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
So having had a chance to take Reptile against a human yesterday, I feel like I'd give some feedback on the changes.

d3 change feels so good to have. It seems miniscule, but it changes a good chunk of things. Being able to be +2 and actually have a move not dash completely beat out a 6 frame d1 felt great. Really great. My opponent started having to wait for my d3 or reading my choice to keep going with staggers...or armoring to eliminate both options. It opened up a lot more pressure for me, and because of that, it felt easier to get damage and get meter.

I didn't get to really use b1d4 that much (Shinnok is a mawfucka and makes using normals hard), and my use of 34 was pretty sparing, but the d3 was used in full effect. The 21 change came in handy a lot, because I didn't feel like my timing had to be as strict on every corner juggle just to get 2 of them in, so I was able to be more consistent in getting the damage I needed.

So all in all, the changes help. Are they the only things Reptile needs? Nah, not by a long shot...but the d3 change fixes glaring issues on being able to take advantage of frame traps and actually being able to poke out of pressure. It will help out in matchups where he just got bullied with no meter, and helps out in giving him the ability to maintain pressure through his frame traps.

That said, there's still changes that need to be made. There still stands the issue with his variations being too meter-hungry (except for Noxious). Reptile doesn't build meter very fast (though he somewhat gets the opportunity to build it in block pressure better due to d3 checks). Both Deceptive and Nimble's variation specials have very little room for application without meter, as the total frames are way too long to get any decent setup. The properties on the specials are otherwise pretty good, though. Here's my suggestion for them:

-Both stealth and basilisk match their EX versions in animation frames (In stealth's case, the total frames without holding stealth)
-Using stealth a second time no longer removes the stealth state, but rather extends stealth's timer
-Stealth's damage negation can be stacked again, up to 3 times
-EX stealth adds 2 stacks instead of 1; being hit once only removes complete invisibility
-Basilisk's duration is now half of the duration of the EX version
-Armored attacks now absorb the DoT of EX Noxious

The total frame tweak is obvious...gives you more leeway to apply them, which in turn reduces meter reliance and helps with the meter building as they are specials. With Deceptive, a big part of what makes that variation is stealth's damage negation property. I feel like the stacking was an interesting part of the variation, too, that shouldn't have been removed. I feel like that's part of what the variation should be based around. I did want the stealth state to not go away on block, but I feel like that's not interesting enough and would honestly be ridiculous with these changes. Nimble was fine, just the startup on regular basilisk was way too long to be applicable outside of after X-Ray. But, to give EX basilisk a reason to be used, regular basilisk doesn't last as long, and as a result doesn't get nearly as much time to do dirty stuff. The Noxious change, I wouldn't be upset if they got rid of the link after gas if they gave it this. This would add onto the variation quite a bit (probably would be way too good LOL!). It's already solid without any meter investment, but this would add more utility to the EX version.

I think working on the variations like that nails a bunch of issues. Meter dependency, meter building, and further diversification of the variations. I would like better forceballs and spit, but I think doing this would allow him to live without improvement on either one, and I think his core toolset is mostly fine, otherwise. He has some pretty safe normals that he uses on the regular, and while his specials aren't safe, not being forced to burn meter to use his variation stuff opens doors for him here. Now you can do Nimble combos and setups without burning a bar you could have used to armor something, only to get hit. Now Deceptive presents some very powerful perks and gives Reptile a ton of room to make mistakes and play the trades game in projectile wars. Now Noxious makes it risky to attempt to armor your way out of Reptile's pressure if he burns a bar for it.

So what do you guys think of this? I feel this would be a good next step for Reptile buffs without making too many drastic changes on his core, and while touching on some of his problems, not completely solving them.

@RapZiLLa54 @RM Cossner @Fraud Blank @MrInsaynne @UsedForGlue

Last edited:

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Going against humans 34 is utter garbage since yes you get a big combo but only against braindead punishes that no sane person will throw out there. So basically it's the same as before, only with a 7 frame d3.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
So having had a chance to take Reptile against a human yesterday, I feel like I'd give some feedback on the changes.

d3 change feels so good to have. It seems miniscule, but it changes a good chunk of things. Being able to be +2 and actually have a move not dash completely beat out a 6 frame d1 felt great. Really great. My opponent started having to wait for my d3 or reading my choice to keep going with staggers...or armoring to eliminate both options. It opened up a lot more pressure for me, and because of that, it felt easier to get damage and get meter.

I didn't get to really use b1d4 that much (Shinnok is a mawfucka and makes using normals hard), and my use of 34 was pretty sparing, but the d3 was used in full effect. The 21 change came in handy a lot, because I didn't feel like my timing had to be as strict on every corner juggle just to get 2 of them in, so I was able to be more consistent in getting the damage I needed.

So all in all, the changes help. Are they the only things Reptile needs? Nah, not by a long shot...but the d3 change fixes glaring issues on being able to take advantage of frame traps and actually being able to poke out of pressure. It will help out in matchups where he just got bullied with no meter, and helps out in giving him the ability to maintain pressure through his frame traps.

That said, there's still changes that need to be made. There still stands the issue with his variations being too meter-hungry (except for Noxious). Reptile doesn't build meter very fast (though he somewhat gets the opportunity to build it in block pressure better due to d3 checks). Both Deceptive and Nimble's variation specials have very little room for application without meter, as the total frames are way too long to get any decent setup. The properties on the specials are otherwise pretty good, though. Here's my suggestion for them:

-Both stealth and basilisk match their EX versions in animation frames (In stealth's case, the total frames without holding stealth)
-Using stealth a second time no longer removes the stealth state, but rather extends stealth's timer
-Stealth's damage negation can be stacked again, up to 3 times
-EX stealth adds 2 stacks instead of 1; being hit once only removes complete invisibility
-Basilisk's duration is now half of the duration of the EX version
-Armored attacks now absorb the DoT of EX Noxious

The total frame tweak is obvious...gives you more leeway to apply them, which in turn reduces meter reliance and helps with the meter building as they are specials. With Deceptive, a big part of what makes that variation is stealth's damage negation property. I feel like the stacking was an interesting part of the variation, too, that shouldn't have been removed. I feel like that's part of what the variation should be based around. I did want the stealth state to not go away on block, but I feel like that's not interesting enough and would honestly be ridiculous with these changes. Nimble was fine, just the startup on regular basilisk was way too long to be applicable outside of after X-Ray. But, to give EX basilisk a reason to be used, regular basilisk doesn't last as long, and as a result doesn't get nearly as much time to do dirty stuff. The Noxious change, I wouldn't be upset if they got rid of the link after gas if they gave it this. This would add onto the variation quite a bit (probably would be way too good LOL!). It's already solid without any meter investment, but this would add more utility to the EX version.

I think working on the variations like that nails a bunch of issues. Meter dependency, meter building, and further diversification of the variations. I would like better forceballs and spit, but I think doing this would allow him to live without improvement on either one, and I think his core toolset is mostly fine, otherwise. He has some pretty safe normals that he uses on the regular, and while his specials aren't safe, not being forced to burn meter to use his variation stuff opens doors for him here. Now you can do Nimble combos and setups without burning a bar you could have used to armor something, only to get hit. Now Deceptive presents some very powerful perks and gives Reptile a ton of room to make mistakes and play the trades game in projectile wars. Now Noxious makes it risky to attempt to armor your way out of Reptile's pressure if he burns a bar for it.

So what do you guys think of this? I feel this would be a good next step for Reptile buffs without making too many drastic changes on his core, and while touching on some of his problems, not completely solving them.

@RapZiLLa54 @RM Cossner @Fraud Blank @MrInsaynne @UsedForGlue
Honestly, I have no comments as to what Reptile needs changes on. The 7f D3 is a big game changer for Reptile IMO and we'll have to wait and see how it affects his overall match-ups. Obviously, he still has troubles opening the opponent up due to how his offense works but at least he nets bigger damage when he does.

I'm just happy he can now defend without using meter and risking losing 30%+ into a potential set-up.

Badfulgore

Beta Tester
Honestly, I have no comments as to what Reptile needs changes on. The 7f D3 is a big game changer for Reptile IMO and we'll have to wait and see how it affects his overall match-ups. Obviously, he still has troubles opening the opponent up due to how his offense works but at least he nets bigger damage when he does.

I'm just happy he can now defend without using meter and risking losing 30%+ into a potential set-up.
II agree. Now his "best input / scale" is one of the safest

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator

D3 is so great now. I think minor buffs on the balls/klaw swipe would be great but if this was the final version I'd be okay with it.

II agree. Now his "best input / scale" is one of the safest
That didn't make any sense at all.

Bobbyxton_

It's Official
D3 is so great now. I think minor buffs on the balls/klaw swipe would be great but if this was the final version I'd be okay with it.
Literally this. I find that just the hitbox change and the d3 frame buff made him that little bit more formidable being able to secure damage more consistently and having a better tool to keep your opponent in check.

Trunks

Noob
What combos are you guys mostly using? Mid screen or corner doesn't matter. Just wanna know what I should be using for the most damage preferably mid screen combos though since its where im mostly struggling to get some good damage, I apologize if this isn't the right thread to ask I'm a total forum noob lol.

esc1

95% of TYM discussion: "It's fine"
My reliable mid screen one bar BNB is 3,4 FB,SB, NJP, 2,1.. f2,1,1+3EX and f3,b4 for damage or f4,1,2 SB or stink for setup. Think the damage option is 37%. Love the dual forceballs..

KGA Prosaic

RM Prosaic
Hey, guys. Wanted to post this. I believe it to be a bug but wanted to see what you guys think. In case you were wondering, I do have the computer set on auto block.

Wam-Zlay

Reptile / Noob
@Trunks

My main bnbs are :

b1 d4 ffb njp 21 f412 slide
3 4 ffb sfb njp 21 f412 slide
f412 repdash njp 21 f412 slide (i still practice the njp in this combo :>)
b2 f21 3+1
12 ffb njp 21 f412 slide

If you want more dmg (harder to pull off) you can go for f41 instead of 21 (1-2% more dmg)

//edit easier f412 combo
f412 rpd d1 f21 1+3 (easiest)
f412 rpd 21 f21 1+3

//2-3% more dmg with b2 (meterless)
b2 rc f41 claw

Trunks

Noob
@Trunks

My main bnbs are :

b1 d4 ffb njp 21 f412 slide
3 4 ffb sfb njp 21 f412 slide
f412 repdash njp 21 f412 slide (i still practice the njp in this combo :>)
b2 f21 3+1
12 ffb njp 21 f412 slide

If you want more dmg (harder to pull off) you can go for f41 instead of 21 (1-2% more dmg)

//edit easier f412 combo
f412 rpd d1 f21 1+3 (easiest)
f412 rpd 21 f21 1+3

//2-3% more dmg with b2 (meterless)
b2 rc f41 claw
Do you have the problem where Slide ender wiffs a lot? I usually have this problem. Thank you for the combos btw I appreciate it

Last edited:

Wam-Zlay

Reptile / Noob
Do you have the problem where Slide ender wiffs a lot? I usually have this problem. Thank you for the combos btw I appreciate it
it happens sometimes if i go for "random" combos.

You could change the f412 slide into f21 1+3, f41 claw,f3b4 or b34

also you can go for 141 (i dont know if 141 is always possible) as ender or f412 slow forceball

KGA Prosaic

RM Prosaic
If you whiffed the slide at the end of your combo it meant you missed an opportunity to throw in f4 1 or 2 1.

Trunks

Noob
Ok I think most of the ranked matches I play are against Sub and it has to be one of the worst match ups for Reptile IMO. Do any of you guys have a plan in this match up or anything you guys been having success with? Every sub I play sits behind the clone and does the usual ice ball behind clone then throw clone or mix it up and run up and just start just jumping all over the place with kicks/pressure then jump again lol. would love some advice on this match up.

JDM

Noob
Had to drop this off here. Kinda hard to not feel bad for the guy lol. Dude probably beat his mother after losing like this

The lack of counter pokes... it hurts to watch ;-;

Hey, guys. Wanted to post this. I believe it to be a bug but wanted to see what you guys think. In case you were wondering, I do have the computer set on auto block.

Interesting... Did anyone test this out? I'm gonna try it out.

JDM

Noob
Ok I think most of the ranked matches I play are against Sub and it has to be one of the worst match ups for Reptile IMO. Do any of you guys have a plan in this match up or anything you guys been having success with? Every sub I play sits behind the clone and does the usual ice ball behind clone then throw clone or mix it up and run up and just start just jumping all over the place with kicks/pressure then jump again lol. would love some advice on this match up.
Don't do it. Switch characters. Reptile gets fucked by a decent sub zero

KGA Prosaic

RM Prosaic
The lack of counter pokes... it hurts to watch ;-;

Interesting... Did anyone test this out? I'm gonna try it out.

It feels like a bug in the game. Most characters that have a similar set up get knocked down and have to tech roll but Reptile here stays in neutral. I could squeeze in more % with f41 f412xxslide instead of 21 f412xxslide but yeah, lol.

remember ice ball doesn't do any dmg and you can crouch it so be prepared to slide when he is about to throw his clone your way. you have that one aspect of the matchup solved right there

OzzFoxx

Hardcore gaming poser.
What are all the mix-up options you can do on a knocked down opponent? b3,4; f3,b4; b2; f4,1,2; bf3; db3b (MB); Any others? One of these days I'm going to use these to vortex an opponent flawless.

EmoScoobyDoo

Maybe I'll have something to say ... Probably not
How did you get notation right in one part of the post then fuck it up later in the same post lol