What's new

Tech - Raiden Raiden mid screen vortex

hully

Noob
Here or some easy corner setups for it. It seems the higher the B1 4 juggle is the easier it is to land the run cancel 2 1

GAINS

Noob
So being a noob and google only providing me with street fighter specific shit vortex as i understand it is a combo that leaves the opponent with little room to do anything? AKA stunlock if you play MOBA? Sorrry if yall dont like comparing to other genres but im tryin to understand this. ALso whatss the deal with the fireball xx run, i cant seem to do it (but i can do something like sub's 242 run 123 ok)

No it is a combo that ends up in a situation where they are forced to deal with a mixup where if they guess wrong they are looped back into the exact same situation over and over until they die or guess correctly.

GAINS

Noob
No it is a combo that ends up in a situation where they are forced to deal with a mixup where if they guess wrong they are looped back into the exact same situation over and over until they die or guess correctly.
bruh i thought that was a mixup or maybe a 50/50

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
So being a noob and google only providing me with street fighter specific shit vortex as i understand it is a combo that leaves the opponent with little room to do anything? AKA stunlock if you play MOBA? Sorrry if yall dont like comparing to other genres but im tryin to understand this. ALso whatss the deal with the fireball xx run, i cant seem to do it (but i can do something like sub's 242 run 123 ok)
A vortex is a situation when, after hitting your opponent with a mixup, you can combo to leave your opponent in the exact same situation, so they have to guess again. It can be repeated indefinitely as long as your opponent doesn't guess right (or you run out of meter, if it's required to perform it).
Because MKX has a block button, vortexes* will start with a high-low mix up, in other games they can be started making your opponent guess whether your jump will crossover or not.

In this case, after the combo starts, you can see Raiden re-stands the opponent with B1,4, he cancels the lighting into run and hits with 2,1. After that the combo ends Raiden is left with enough advantage so the opponent can not do anything but guess whether the next hit will be an overhead or a low attack. If he guesses wrong, then, no matter which option Raiden choose, he can do the combo again, re-stand the opponent and make him guess one more time. Notice that this can not be looped indefinitely even if Raiden guesses right all the times, as it does cost 1 bar of meter to perform.

Now, I don't know the notation for Raiden's fireball, but the way cancels normally work are: you press the inputs, say DB2, and instead of releasing 2 you hold it. Without releasing it still, you dash either forwards or backwards. If it's a forward dash (like in this combo) you can cancel the dash into run by pressing the block button. I'm not 100% sure this is how Raiden's fireball works, but it is the way it works for most things that you can hold and cancel.

I hope this helps, any other question, fell free to ask :)

* Is "vortexes" the right word?

GAINS

Noob
A vortex is a situation when, after hitting your opponent with a mixup, you can combo to leave your opponent in the exact same situation, so they have to guess again. It can be repeated indefinitely as long as your opponent doesn't guess right (or you run out of meter, if it's required to perform it).
Because MKX has a block button, vortexes* will start with a high-low mix up, in other games they can be started making your opponent guess whether your jump will crossover or not.

In this case, after the combo starts, you can see Raiden re-stands the opponent with B1,4, he cancels the lighting into run and hits with 2,1. After that the combo ends Raiden is left with enough advantage so the opponent can not do anything but guess whether the next hit will be an overhead or a low attack. If he guesses wrong, then, no matter which option Raiden choose, he can do the combo again, re-stand the opponent and make him guess one more time. Notice that this can not be looped indefinitely even if Raiden guesses right all the times, as it does cost 1 bar of meter to perform.

Now, I don't know the notation for Raiden's fireball, but the way cancels normally work are: you press the inputs, say DB2, and instead of releasing 2 you hold it. Without releasing it still, you dash either forwards or backwards. If it's a forward dash (like in this combo) you can cancel the dash into run by pressing the block button. I'm not 100% sure this is how Raiden's fireball works, but it is the way it works for most things that you can hold and cancel.

I hope this helps, any other question, fell free to ask :)

* Is "vortexes" the right word?
yeah thats real helpful, so to summarize its kind of like a repeatable 50/50? if so, it seems like the rage tactic thats a skillstep up from subzero slide spam. another quick question, why is the firebal cancel even used? isnt it better to just run up to the man and do the vortex thing? anyway thanks

yeah thats real helpful, so to summarize its kind of like a repeatable 50/50? if so, it seems like the rage tactic thats a skillstep up from subzero slide spam. another quick question, why is the firebal cancel even used? isnt it better to just run up to the man and do the vortex thing? anyway thanks
The fireball cancel allows you to reach the opponent quicker and thus be able to hit the 21 and do the mixup before they can move, jump, etc.

Last edited:

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Another quick question, why is the firebal cancel even used?
After f14 you are at merely +7 frames that are considered a state when your opponent can still block. Raiden's low/oh are 12 frames. Plus you need to run up to opponent. Fireball cancel cancels recovery of f14 and since it's cancelled into special game engine considers opponent's hitstun to be full and "honest", when he doesn't even get to block. That and additional time you get from cancelling recovery of f14 allows you to run up and hit with guaranteed to hit 21 string that in turn allows for guaranteed attempt at mixing opponent with 12 frames normals (which now he can block... if he guesses correctly) since your opponent is at -21 or so.

Also, stunlock is better to be compared with block infinite (currently Liu has one, but it's probably gonna be patched out). Or just infinite :p

GAINS

Noob
After f14 you are at merely +7 frames that are considered a state when your opponent can still block. Raiden's low/oh are 12 frames. Plus you need to run up to opponent. Fireball cancel cancels recovery of f14 and since it's cancelled into special game engine considers opponent's hitstun to be full and "honest", when he doesn't even get to block. That and additional time you get from cancelling recovery of f14 allows you to run up and hit with guaranteed to hit 21 string that in turn allows for guaranteed attempt at mixing opponent with 12 frames normals (which now he can block... if he guesses correctly) since your opponent is at -21 or so.

Also, stunlock is better to be compared with block infinite (currently Liu has one, but it's probably gonna be patched out). Or just infinite :p
So its kind of an exploit?

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
So its kind of an exploit?
Infinites / block infinites are regarded as such, yes. Although if we are talking about Liu's thing, it's apparently not inescapable, so I was wrong about that. Anyway, this is a bit off-topic.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
Guys what do you get off of the low option mid screen? does EN shocker connect?

On a side note, this uses a ton of resources so i don't see anything wrong with this.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Guys what do you get off of the low option mid screen? does EN shocker connect?
MoS and DP only get b33~EX-shocker. TG reportedly can do b3[2], b14~FRC etc. making that meterless with less damage, but I haven't tested that.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Except FRCs were mind numbing hours in practice mode and the fireball run cancel here is like... maybe thirty minutes.

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
I look at it as an amazing mixup. You can loop into the same situation from oh or low but since resources need to available, I find it more effective when used as a mixup. I also frc f1 to catch people mashing, save resources & push to corner where the real nightmare begins.

Iz-GOod

Noob
EX Shocker is punishable on block, right?

From someone who's played SF where there has been tons of low risk, high reward vortexes, a vortex that requires meter and is punishable on block if the opponent guesses right seems a bit dangerous to use in high-level play.

I see it as a great reset (if you finish with a safe move like regular shocker), but a bad vortex. Maybe that's just me and my conservative nature.

Am I the only one having trouble with fireball cancel. I feel like I input fast enough but after the cancel it starts a whole other combo, I'm not getting the continuation. Did anyone else have this trouble and if so any good way to solve or is it just poor execution on my part? Thanks in advance.

SirRaven

Teleport tickle fail
Am I the only one having trouble with fireball cancel. I feel like I input fast enough but after the cancel it starts a whole other combo, I'm not getting the continuation. Did anyone else have this trouble and if so any good way to solve or is it just poor execution on my part? Thanks in advance.
Not sure what you mean by it starting a whole different combo but have you checked your options menu to make sure those button assist features were turned off? You might have that negative edge one enabled causing strangeness to occur. After doing the cancel, you shouldn't be doing anything but running.

Not sure what you mean by it starting a whole different combo but have you checked your options menu to make sure those button assist features were turned off? You might have that negative edge one enabled causing strangeness to occur. After doing the cancel, you shouldn't be doing anything but running.
Thanks I'm going to make sure I have that turned off. I am running after the cancel but when I go for the next input on the combo it doesn't add to the combo tally I already have it starts a new tally, which would give chance for block I believe.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
whats the low option?
In Thunder God, B32 is safe on block when you hold 2 down, on hit you can hit confirm F1 MB Shocker into B14 Fireball cancel into a guaranteed 214 string.

If you get the timing perfect, the 214 will combo, so you can dial in a dive, but it also means you can opt to use 21 on hit, be at +22, and opt for your 50/50 again.

Usually with Raiden, his Low option never led to much damage, except for a wall carry, so the opponent sees no point in crouching and taking the overhead damage. Now it's balanced out slightly more, although his overhead is unsafe still, the low is something to fear.

The fireball cancel changes the properties of the b1,4 restand, or allows you to move in more quickly is the most likely case. In either case, it allows you to combo the 21 string, whereas normally with b1,4 restands only gives you an advantage where they can block. Frame advantage in this game doesn't always grant you guaranteed hits, sometimes they can block during those disadvantaged states, depending on what the attacker hit them with.

Also very few things in fighting games are at all safe to "spam" and that goes double for unsafe moves like Sub Zero's slide. You should be getting free damage off that consistently when you block it, even if it's just an uppercut to start. But really most characters can probably full combo him for it. It's different from MOBAs in that way, sometimes a skill or combination of skills is guaranteed to hit in a game like LoL, and unless you have an active/summ to burn on it, you just have to hold that shit. Very few individual moves are like that in a fighting game, at least on their own. Guaranteed combos would be the closest thing, and your breaker would be your active/summ to break out of it.

But the starters themselves, unless we find the game to be unbalanced somehow, nothing can be safely spammed against better players. I promise you slide is not one of those moves. Just requires that you respect his wakeup and reversal slide options, so you can block and punish.

F1,2 should be used at the end instead of 2,1. You're at plus 17 which is enough for the vortex. It's faster, it leaves you standing closer to the opponent and it connects off of charged lightning strings, such as a held b3,2 or f1,2,b2.

Last edited:

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Claims midscreen vortex, shows whole video in the corner. lol a vortex is supposed to loop into itself and I'm pretty sure the overhead option will only allow for a follow up superman once you run out of stamina.

Claims midscreen vortex, shows whole video in the corner. lol a vortex is supposed to loop into itself and I'm pretty sure the overhead option will only allow for a follow up superman once you run out of stamina.
Are you saying it's not a vortex because it requires meter? it does loop back into itself and I wasn't in the corner once

Last edited: