What's new

Question - Summoner Post Patch Quan Chi Discussion

How is Quan Chi after these hypothetical changes?

• Total voters

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Hello all!

Theres been so much buzz in the quan forums lately about the upcoming possible nerfs to Quan. I made a video with my thoughts on the changes, Keep in mind nothing official has been released from NRS and these are just speculation, albeit from quite reliable sources. What are your thoughts on Quan?

Nortnauq

QUAN CHI FOR DLC
I like the idea of using 21 into bat.
I think the ex trance bat summon idea would be fair. or maybe even ex bat summon?

a better idea for the trance nerf might be reducing the duration, instead of adding more recovery frames.
that way, you'll still be able to get a bat out but the combo will end before the next hit.
kind of like mimicry.

we'll have to wait and see what the other changes to his frame data will be too.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Lol I bet you were typing "anti zoning zealot" until you saw my profile picture. Looks like you will need a brain to play this character now. Are you dropping this character Dave?
Tremor has been my main character for a while.

You have always needed a brain to play this character. Quan Chi is the best character very few high level players use because they do not want to block for 30 seconds in the corner. Nonetheless, scrubs have won once again. This character is going to be genuinely abysmal.

Also, you are an anti-zoning zealot.

gam224

The world's least hype player
Tremor has been my main character for a while.

You have always needed a brain to play this character. Quan Chi is the best character very few high level players use because they do not want to block for 30 seconds in the corner.

Also, you are an anti-zoning zealot.
I am an anti zoner as a Kitana main? lol Oh and about having a brain to play quan literally all you have to do is 50/50's.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
I like the idea of using 21 into bat.
I think the ex trance bat summon idea would be fair. or maybe even ex bat summon?

a better idea for the trance nerf might be reducing the duration, instead of adding more recovery frames.
that way, you'll still be able to get a bat out but the combo will end before the next hit.
kind of like mimicry.

we'll have to wait and see what the other changes to his frame data will be too.
Don't forget that there are other variations. Not being able to set up a chip/armour spell safely from a chance would destroy sorcerer. I don't think trance needs any changes, bat summon should take longer.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
I voted overly nerfed because I fear that nerfs intended to weaken summoner will be much more significant for sorcerer and warlock which are the variations I play.
Especially the ex rune change... if they make that -1 i'll be done with sorcerer.
I don't think trance should be changed and instead make the start up franes for bat greater so it can't be called and conbo'd.

Last edited:

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
So far I think it's unnecessary for Warlock, but a fair amount for Summoner. Sorceror I haven't played as or against a good one offline so I won't comment, but I will mention that over 30% for three bars and no gaps is fucking amazing chip when you get it.

Losing 1-2% on most combos isn't going to kill Warlock, however it is an unnecessary nerf but nothing drastic.

Summoner on the other hand - he is now perfect. You now need to finish a combo to get a set up just like p much every other character instead of getting it during the combo, this will still be the go-to variation, he gets rewarded heavily for something and can use it to snowball, on top of what you mentioned he also gets safe summons at range against most characters for landing an ex-Rune, ex Skull, or anti airing with anything, etc, and as time goes on Quans will find the opportunities to find more, even at the highest level I've seen KING get raw bat summons it's definitely not gonna be impossible to get your bat out by any means.

All in all, very good video, and as you said, we'll have to see how the meta looks after this patch cause a lot of top tiers are getting turned down.

Azmodeus

The harder I work, the luckier I get
I'm not gonna lie, Summoner has some dirty shit. however, Sorcerer and Warlock are fine! These changes render Sorcerer (my baby) almost powerless. Sorcerer doesn't deserve this, and neither does warlock. Anyone who has a legit reason why they think that sorcerer or warlock should be nerfed to oblivion, let me know, because i haven't heard a good one yet. This would be the same as Johnny Cage's nut punch being neutral on hit, this takes away so much more than what was "wrong" with quan.

Azmodeus

The harder I work, the luckier I get
I am an anti zoner as a Kitana main? lol Oh and about having a brain to play quan literally all you have to do is 50/50's.
Have you ever tried to play a match as summoner quan? I'd be curious to see you do it, because i imagine you standing there, doing a couple 50/50's dropping the combo because it requires timing, then getting fucked under pressure from a jax or a cage. Or for that matter, you playing quan, but then the other player gets the first hit, gets in on you, pressures you, and you die. But yeah, quan is just an auto-win button. These buffs would be like taking away kitanas air fans. That about the amount of tools that quan looses here.

God Confirm

Have you ever tried to play a match as summoner quan? I'd be curious to see you do it, because i imagine you standing there, doing a couple 50/50's dropping the combo because it requires timing, then getting fucked under pressure from a jax or a cage. Or for that matter, you playing quan, but then the other player gets the first hit, gets in on you, pressures you, and you die. But yeah, quan is just an auto-win button. These buffs would be like taking away kitanas air fans. That about the amount of tools that quan looses here.
Braindead doesn't mean simple combos. That being said, over the course of the game I've learned to play 11 different characters. and other than Tanya, Quan was by far the easiest.

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
Yeah Quan is done outside of Summoner of this is the case. Warlock may legit become his best variation. If they improved his d4 he could be fine though. Just needs a decent footsie tool really. And while neg rune removes the constant mixups, its main drawback is his zoning will be awful now. not worth spending the meter fullscreen if they block (reduced chip due to no guaranteed rune after)

God Confirm

You can consistently land the 1-frame pseudo 10/10 times? He's that easy?
Obviously not but the cost of missing it is not really that high, you are still gonna be hard as hell to block, and its not something he relies on

Goat-City

Banned
So now Sorcerer has 2 completely useless spells. I highly disagree with the change on the recovery of trance. You should be able to summon the bat, use the chip spell, or land a JIP during trance. The EX rune shouldn't be -1 either. Sorcerer needs the rune trap. The rune trap is the coolest thing about Sorcerer since it's like a call back to MK9 Quan. Now it would have to be the EX skull trap, which would be a lot harder to jail with 14 rune because of the push back and it would be a significant damage nerf on the amount of chip you would get on it, plus you wouldn't be able to get that sexy skeleton brutality which is already very hard to get as it is. The only problems with Quan across all his variations is that he gets too much damage in Sorcerer and Summoner, they don't have to spend meter to combo off their 50/50s, and Summoner has his hard to blockable vortex.

Here's what they should do about Quan. Like I saw Rude suggest, to remove his hard to blockables just make lows and overheads hit mid if they connect within 5 or so frames of each other instead of one. On top of that, b2 should hit mid and his new overheads should be f1 and f4. Reduce the cancel advantage on f1 and f14 so trance won't combo afterwards, only the rune will. Remove all cancel advantage on f4 so it'll simply be an overhead stagger. That string will never be useful unless it hits overhead with no cancel advantage. This way he'll lose 2% damage on his overhead starter and there will be a gap between it and rune that you can armor through just like b32 rune. You wouldn't have to spend meter to make it safe because you could just do f142 instead.

Also, give Quan a universal 2% damage nerf on f2122, b2, and b321 and Give Warlock's 21f3 string 15 frames of cancel advantage so you can cancel it with portal scoop to end combos so he'll get the same damage he gets currently. It's the other 2 variations that need the damage nerf, not Warlock. Lastly, Sorcerer's spells should be cancelable with each other and the meter drain spell should by far be the fastest one of the 3, like half as fast as Summoner's bat summon. I made a thread on this subject a few months ago that explains this in more detail. Here it is - http://testyourmight.com/threads/how-to-make-the-meter-spell-black-magic-useful.57166/

Last edited: