What's new

Perfect Legend Offers Lessons for Injustice: Gods Among Us!

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
As a professional poker player, I can attest that fighting games are more difficult and more physically demanding than poker.
They're more difficult for sure, but the toll that swings take on your health isn't prevalent in fighting games. If you lose in a fighting game, it's usually entirely your fault and it's not that big of a deal, just a little hurt pride. Lose in a big cash game or tournament in poker, you'll literally be depressed for awhile, unless you're so rich you just don't care. And in Poker you can do everything right and still lose, which that concept in itself would make any competitor crazy. Poker is way more physically and mentally demanding, as far as your health is concerned.

Hard way to make an easy living, that saying is definitely true.

And I know I've commented already, but if you don't want to pay for lessons, then why bash the idea? Perfect Legend is really good at this game, you can learn a lot from him. He's still the only player to beat me really badly, it's such a weird experience doing well against everyone then not have chance against PL. He's just already ahead of most players, he has my props.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Well, personally I would think I was being insulting to the community that have helped me so much if I asked them to pay me to 'teach' them to play Injustice.

PL could look at it the same way tbh, without this community, he wouldnt have had so much extra cash in his pocket over the past couple of years.
Injustice is a game, and it WILL die eventually, so why pay to learn it now when it wont be any use in the future? Anyway, you can be told how to play the game by better players all you want, that doesn't mean you're actually gonna become better as a result. The reason top players are top players is because they figure out their own shit.

It also creates a certain heirarchy sort of feeling, and thats something I definitely don't like. Seen it in FPS games before, and it just doesn't help. Pisses me off seeing players either think that theyre too great, or too shit.

Figuring out their own stuff and playing the game. No substitute for playing the game to get better. 1 hour sessions don't really help you get better, just give you a vague idea of what to look for and what to work on which is helpful but not worth a fee.

Celerity

Lab Monster
Sorry, thought we were on a forum dedicated to getting better at video games.
I'm all for learning, but not when it comes to paying a person for "lessons" to better myself at a VIDEO GAME.
I just don't understand why it matters if it's a video game. Would you be going onto a golf forum and making fun of people taking golf lessons, or chess lessons, guitar lessons, etc.? Are you some kind of jockbro who can't accept people enjoying video games as their primary hobby? If so, I think you're in the wrong place, that's all I was trying to say.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I've got a training session scheduled for tomorrow. Going to get in some good MU experience before I head off to my first tournament at the end of the month.

True Grave

Giving The Gift Of Graves
celerity, post: 833199, member: 13854"]I just don't understand why it matters if it's a video game. Would you be going onto a golf forum and making fun of people taking golf lessons, or chess lessons, guitar lessons, etc.? Are you some kind of jockbro who can't accept people enjoying video games as their primary hobby? If so, I think you're in the wrong place, that's all I was trying to say.
I just don't understand why it matters if it's a video game. Would you be going onto a golf forum and making fun of people taking golf lessons, or chess lessons, guitar lessons, etc.? Are you some kind of jockbro who can't accept people enjoying video games as their primary hobby? If so, I think you're in the wrong place, that's all I was trying to say.
Video games are a main hobby of mine. My one and only problem is that your going to pay for a service when all you need to do is ask. And also play those people. Secondly as stated before, they should do it for free as a service to the community. The reason is we are all here to learn and grow so why take advantage of the new comers? REO stated he'd do it for free...all you gotta do is ask.

Video games are a main hobby of mine. My one and only problem is that your going to pay for a service when all you need to do is ask. And also play those people. Secondly as stated before, they should do it for free as a service to the community. The reason is we are all here to learn and grow so why take advantage of the new comers? REO stated he'd do it for free...all you gotta do is ask.
Do you mind me asking what your age is?
"...,they should do it for free"?! "They" don't have to do ANYTHING!

You know what guys, you're right. Since it appears that the High Level players all OWE me--I demand REO, PIG and FOXY add "I AM MOSSBERG" to their friends list and spend limitless hours leveling me up. Let's goooo! I feel like a king now! ...ugh.

Anyway, it's not a big deal. I enjoy fighting games, I have very few friends to play with--I will embrace the opportunity.

No matter what one man charges for, there will always be another man that thinks its a waste, whether it be jewelry, video games, tickets to a sporting event, strategy guides etc. PL is far from the 1st player to do this, I have seen plenty top players charge to teach, now you could argue he hasnt done anything in this particular game, but still he has proven to be a very talented fighting game player.

Lets talk about the D word, Donations. As a community we have no problem supporting Donations. We say hey please donate to help this member out and get him to a tournament because hes really good but doesnt have the money. When someone objects and says hey hes a grown ass man why should I give my hard earned money? We respond with hey man if you dont like it just stfu and dont donate. Well in this case, can it be stfu and dont participate in whats being offered as a service? I mean at least hes offering a service and not just flat out asking for money smh.

I feel kind of bad for him cause hes catching a lot of hate and I dont think people are really thinking about it. The money he is charging is very petty, and aimed at those who wanna be serious tournament/pro players. Now some players are hating and laughing at him, but all year round I see these same players BREAKING their pockets to get out to these tournaments, paying for their flights, rooms, venue and entry fees, food, 11 ppl in one hotel room sleeping on the floor surviving on the dollar menu and tap water.

There can only be one first place winner at these tournies and a lot of times coming in first place will break you even from what you spent to participate or MAYBE you'll walk away with a little extra money. Now, should we look at these players and say they are stupid for attending tournaments??? I wouldnt, cause they spent the money on something they love doing and is a hobby and supposed to be fun. If I go out and pay for guitar lessons cause I love playing guitar and want to get better, will ppl laugh at me and say I'll never be a rock star anyway? Or will some understand that Im trying to get better at something I enjoy? I laugh at the people who think playing these games is going to make them famous, or bring them real money, to me thats funny, but still who Am I to judge.

To those that think its a waste understand this, a lot of times the difference between a good player, and a great player is who they practice with. You dont think Tom and REO practicing together means something? Or Maxter, CD, and CDjr all being practice partners means something? Im sure you could learn a lot more about the game and about where you stand if you played a first to 20 with PL, rather then playing 100 random players online.

/rant.

True Grave

Do you mind me asking what your age is?
"...,they should do it for free"?! "They" don't have to do ANYTHING!

You know what guys, you're right. Since it appears that the High Level players all OWE me--I demand REO, PIG and FOXY add "I AM MOSSBERG" to their friends list and spend limitless hours leveling me up. Let's goooo! I feel like a king now! ...ugh.

Anyway, it's not a big deal. I enjoy fighting games, I have very few friends to play with--I will embrace the opportunity.
24 sir. Look, this is an endless string of back and forth between a matter of opinions. I'm not stating that they should help me either. Its all a matter of opinions and I just think IMO that your should try yourself first before looking for help. I play guitar and I'm all self taught since the age of 12. I'm not Hendrix, Clapton, Page, Kirk, etc. However, to truly overcome any learning curves you need to do it yourself. Like my Master used to say when I took Tae Kwon Do and he was teaching forms. "I can teach you, but I can't learn it for you."

Granted everyone is different as far as learning abilities, recieving information, perception, etc but unless you dedicate yourself to something, you'll never amount to said level.

I'm no high-teir player, but in today's society sir, people tend to lack observation, awareness, common sense, the ability to reconize mistakes and learn from them. Their always in a rush and want instant gratification. "if I play him, I'm sure to level-up!" Not necessarily. Lastly, I ask you and anyone who isn't a Sheeple to try and understand this last bit. I know to some its unorthodox, however look at how we as humans are.

In order for evolution to occur (not Darwinism, but similar in nature) you first need to have a conscious evolution in theory in order for you to have a physical evolution. Simplified terms: Say your learning a new character? At first, you have to practice those combos and timing to build that muscle memory. Then all of a sudden you can pull them of flawlessly. This happens because your brain (conscious) starts remembering what your telling your body to do (physical). Therefore you have taken what your brain said and applied it to your physical nature, in order to "evolve" yourself by doimg those combos without even thinking shortly thereafter.

Hate on my opinion all you want I don't care. I've realized how much in life and especially here on the TYM forums that everyone's just quick to react instead of seeing a different point of view. I myself couldn't handle certain opinions due to indoctrination. Idk. Maybe the whole buy a 50 in H3, or lessons by TSquared for $25 an hour has me asking why? Why pay for something when you alone can do it...if you want it badly enough.

Point and case is unless you truly strive for that level, taking lessons won't help the human factor unless said human applies themselves. ⊙¤⊙NOW LET THE HATE COMMENCE⊙¤⊙

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
Personally I would prefer to learn the game on my own. I'd rather be a fairly original mediocre player than the best copy cat around. To each their own.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Well I took PL up on his offer, and here's my review of the ordeal:

His communication was great. He responded to my email inquiries quickly, and we scheduled a training time. They day of training, we both happened to be on about 3 hours before our scheduled time, so we went ahead and started our session.

We got about 30 minutes in before he realized he hadn't started recording. We went ahead and restarted the entire session, which I was ok with because it was basically 30 minutes of free training.

He definitely knew his shit. He sent me a list of the characters he knew the best, and I let him know the 3 I wanted MU experience against, and let him choose any other characters he knew to be good against Deathstroke. Our matches seemed to be free of lag, though I had spent the previous 4 hours in online KOTH so I might have just been used to it.

After our matches he sent the following email:

Alright man you play a very good deathstroke. Your use of interactables in combination with his zoning is good. However I would recommend not using sword flip as much on wake up. Sword spin is much safer. Of course sword flip is great to hit people who try to punish sword spin with jump attack so keep doing that.

Vs doomsday you have to start dashing forward when he does supernova. Gotta get used to that. In the corner doomsday is a monster so try to avoid the corner as much I know as deathstroke you are very used to moving back or staying at the edge of the screen but doomsday literally needs one read to push you into the corner where it becomes hell from there. Also jumping at doomsday is risky cause he can air grab you and get an unrollable knockdown that allows him to do a splash mixup.

Vs nightwing as you can he can counter zone well against deathstroke. I caught you a lot with Flying grayson out of staff stance but you probably don't know this you can crouch under flying grayson and punish it on whiff. My safest wake up attack out of staff is flying grayson but since its high its not much. Staff spin is very unsafe and you can get a full combo for blocking it.

Escrima air wing dings hit overhead that is probably why you were getting hit a lot by them. You have to block it standing. Also in escrima stance Nightwing doesn't really have any lows to hit you with other than ground spark, b13 and d3. In my honest opinion he doesn't have much to break your defense unless he is in staff stance. But in staff his movement becomes a bit slower.

vs Ares. Ares is a monster but as you see you don't have to worry about a full screen MB Godsmack cause your multi hitting projectiles will bypass the armor and hit him out of it. You want to avoid getting hasty with guns and makes it less of a pattern and more unpredictable when zoning cause one teleport can lead to death potential because of the MB Godsmack combo loop. When he teleports you can punish him if you aren't locked in animation already.

Not sure if you played MK but its easier to punish than raiden's teleport. Up close Deathstroke has further reaching normals than Ares does so it will be difficult for ares to win the footsie war up close. 32, swordspin and d2 should be enough to handle him. Also d2 is really good its safe you should use it more.

Right now im trying to compress the file all together so I can put it on youtube and list it as private or unlisted so only you can see it.
I was hoping to get my footage that same day, since this was around 4pm, but there were apparently some technical issues that prevented him from being able to post the video to youtube.

He managed to get the first video posted today. I was excited to see my footage was in 720p, but quickly disheartened to see the sound was so out of synch that I had to just mute the video. This was apparently unfixable.

The footage had to be split up into smaller chunks to be able to be posted to youtube. Because a match is only around a minute to a minute-and-a-half, I just assumed the video would be split between matches, with around 8 or 9 matches per video. I was disappointed to see my first video cut out mid-clash at 13:38, to be resumed on the next video. However, there are 10 seconds of ads at the beginning of the video, so it doesn't just go right back into the match footage.

Overall, I kind of wish I had just kept my $15. The technical headaches just weren't worth it, and I definitely expected better than out-of-synch interrupted match footage. Apparently PL did learn from this experience, and will be able to record better footage during "future sessions", but that doesn't really help me now. As a small business owner myself, if I had put out this quality of work for a client, I would have offered to redo the entire thing. As I told him via email, the entire purpose of me doing this was to have quality footage of my DS in action. It could have been against online randoms for all I cared. I can't record my own footage, so $15 seemed like a small price to pay. Unfortunately for me, PL is a much better fighting game payer than video editor.

[Edit] I re-read that last part, and it sounded a lot more harsh than I meant it to. It sounds like most of the issues with the video were software-related, and not necessarily PL's fault. However, as the customer that's not really my problem, and I really shouldn't have to settle for low-quality footage because he experienced software issues.

Good to see some reviews lol. Keep 'em coming!

karaokelove said:
As I told him via email, the entire purpose of me doing this was to have quality footage of my DS in action. It could have been against online randoms for all I cared. I can't record my own footage, so $15 seemed like a small price to pay. Unfortunately for me, PL is a much better fighting game payer than video editor.
Well imho you were paying him for the wrong reasons then. Making good video edits for you isn't exactly what his offer was (in fact none of this is even mentioned in the OP, he never said he was going to make pretty videos of your matches vs him). He simply offered to give people some tips to improve their game and learn matchups in ft10/ft20.

If you ask me that's like hiring a plumber and complaining because he didn't fix your internet connection.

Well imho you were paying him for the wrong reasons then. Making good video edits for you isn't exactly what his offer was (in fact none of this is even mentioned in the OP, he never said he was going to make pretty videos of your matches vs him). He simply offered to give people some tips to improve their game and learn matchups in ft10/ft20.

If you ask me that's like hiring a plumber and complaining because he didn't fix your internet connection.
Agreed. I dont recall his offer being about getting "High Quality" footage for personal review. I mean, that's a nice inclusion but I don't think that was his primary offering. Oh well...i guess people will always complain and never be fully satisfied.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Well I took PL up on his offer, and here's my review of the ordeal:

His communication was great. He responded to my email inquiries quickly, and we scheduled a training time. They day of training, we both happened to be on about 3 hours before our scheduled time, so we went ahead and started our session.

We got about 30 minutes in before he realized he hadn't started recording. We went ahead and restarted the entire session, which I was ok with because it was basically 30 minutes of free training.

He definitely knew his shit. He sent me a list of the characters he knew the best, and I let him know the 3 I wanted MU experience against, and let him choose any other characters he knew to be good against Deathstroke. Our matches seemed to be free of lag, though I had spent the previous 4 hours in online KOTH so I might have just been used to it.

After our matches he sent the following email:

I was hoping to get my footage that same day, since this was around 4pm, but there were apparently some technical issues that prevented him from being able to post the video to youtube.

He managed to get the first video posted today. I was excited to see my footage was in 720p, but quickly disheartened to see the sound was so out of synch that I had to just mute the video. This was apparently unfixable.

The footage had to be split up into smaller chunks to be able to be posted to youtube. Because a match is only around a minute to a minute-and-a-half, I just assumed the video would be split between matches, with around 8 or 9 matches per video. I was disappointed to see my first video cut out mid-clash at 13:38, to be resumed on the next video. However, there are 10 seconds of ads at the beginning of the video, so it doesn't just go right back into the match footage.

Overall, I kind of wish I had just kept my $15. The technical headaches just weren't worth it, and I definitely expected better than out-of-synch interrupted match footage. Apparently PL did learn from this experience, and will be able to record better footage during "future sessions", but that doesn't really help me now. As a small business owner myself, if I had put out this quality of work for a client, I would have offered to redo the entire thing. As I told him via email, the entire purpose of me doing this was to have quality footage of my DS in action. It could have been against online randoms for all I cared. I can't record my own footage, so $15 seemed like a small price to pay. Unfortunately for me, PL is a much better fighting game payer than video editor.

[Edit] I re-read that last part, and it sounded a lot more harsh than I meant it to. It sounds like most of the issues with the video were software-related, and not necessarily PL's fault. However, as the customer that's not really my problem, and I really shouldn't have to settle for low-quality footage because he experienced software issues.
Some information he gave you is wrong and honestly, I expected at ;east 3x as much text from 1,5 hours of gametime, this is extremely general info that you could find in training mode e.g "this is overhead" "this is low" "escrima stance has shitty lows"

Even if I did live in america I wouldn't pay for that.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter

We discussed that before he was paid. He knew going in that I was doing it for the footage. And I didn't need good editing, I just needed match footage that was viewable. This is viewable, but it must be watched muted, which is a big annoyance, and having to skip to the next video and skip ads in the middle of a match is a major hindrance when trying to analyze my performance.

Agreed. I dont recall his offer being about getting "High Quality" footage for personal review. I mean, that's a nice inclusion but I don't think that was his primary offering. Oh well...i guess people will always complain and never be fully satisfied.
The footage was agreed upon beforehand. I had assumed it would be 420p like his stream, so I was actually excited to see it posted in 720p. In any case, it was something we had agreed upon before going into business.

In fact, here's our exact exchange:
Hey Carl, my name's Woody (karaokelove from TYM), and I might be interested in taking you up on some Injustice training. I'm going to my first tournament (UFGT) at the end of the month, so I just wanted to ask a few questions.
My biggest question is if you record the matches. I don't currently have the equipment to record my own matches, so having an hour's worth of footage to review would definitely be worth the $15.

I was also curious if the different training sessions (a straight hour, ft10, ft20, etc) cost varying amounts, or if it was just a flat $15 all-around.

Finally, I'm a Deathstroke player (the best DS player, according to Pig of the Hut and Smarrgasm...), and would love to gain some insight into as many MU's as possible, and was just curious who your strongest characters currently are. I've been having a few issues with Black Adam, good Doomsdays, and Nightwing, and I'd love more experience against Ares, Raven, Catwoman, WW, Killer Frost, Superman, Flash, Harley, Batman, Cyborg, and Green Arrow.
That's all for now. Thanks for reading, and I look forward to hearing from you.
Nice and welcome to the FGC! I will be at UFGT so we can definitely play. If you want I can bring my capture equipment and record it so you can review it yourself. Also its just a flat $15 dollars.

Also I have good Deathstroke experience and also was in charge of writing Deathstroke in the Strategy Guide I was apart of so I will be happy to help you.

To fill you in the characters that I play are Doomsday, Nightwing, Black Adam, Ares, Catwoman, Superman, Flash, Batman, Cyborg, Green Lantern, Bane.
Currently learning Shazam hes hella fun to use. I don't use Killer Frost but I know how to use her just don't know her combos by heart more so her core strategy which I feel is more important anyway.
Anyway man I can't wait for us to play and get matches in and hope I can be of help to you.
Awesome, very good to hear. Even though I'm going to UFGT, I was actually hoping we could just do some online training in order for me to level up before heading out to Chicago. I spend a lot of time in offline practice, so I'm not as worried about laggy execution as I am about overall strategies and MU experience. I'm busy Mondays and Thursdays between 7:00pm and 10:30pm (Eastern), but would be free any other time. I'm on xbox, GT: karaokelove. And do you accept paypal?
Ah alright we can do that too. And yea I was planning on doing it over paypal.

My paypal is same as my email address.

my gt is iperfectlegend.

And just let me know im usually free throughout the day
Got it, thanks. I just want to make sure you'll be recording the matches and that you'll be able to send me a copy. Once we've got that set I'll look at my schedule and probably send payment tomorrow.
Yes I can record the matches for you and send them to you :).

Let me know when you would like to get started.
As I said, his communication was great, and the actual training session went really well. I'm just disappointed that I made it very clear what I expected to get out of this and was lead to believe I would receive what I was paying for, which didn't quite happen. You can even see in the email where I state the entire purpose of this is to get my footage, and I didn't agree to pay for training until he assured me that he would be sending me to recorded footage.

True Grave

karaokeloveIll record you or anyone for FREE for however long you want to play. My only stipulation is due to work my schedule my gaming hours are M-F 1am-4am EST and any time before 10pm on Saturdays. This goes out to any XBL users because I only have an Xbox...sorry PSN users.

This isn't to go against PL but rather offer the availability to view the footage with game sounds and fairly good video quality. If you'd like to view what quality to expect check out my YouTube channel at www.YouTube.com/mrgotmerked

The most recent videos are the quality. Ordering capture card next week. Ill also give you any tips if you'd like but my purpose is to record you for your own viewing pleasure.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
People complain about buying their own health insurance and think they are entitled to everything; you don't expect people to bitch about this?

It is a fair price.

I'm just wondering if there will be someone who takes those lessons and whoops up on PL pretty badly and doesn't realize they are that good?

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
karaokeloveIll record you or anyone for FREE for however long you want to play. My only stipulation is due to work my schedule my gaming hours are M-F 1am-4am EST and any time before 10pm on Saturdays. This goes out to any XBL users because I only have an Xbox...sorry PSN users.

This isn't to go against PL but rather offer the availability to view the footage with game sounds and fairly good video quality. If you'd like to view what quality to expect check out my YouTube channel at www.YouTube.com/mrgotmerked

The most recent videos are the quality. Ordering capture card next week. Ill also give you any tips if you'd like but my purpose is to record you for your own viewing pleasure.
Yeah, I'll definitely take you up on that. If you're free this Monday, I could hop on at 1am and get in maybe an hour.

True Grave

Yeah, I'll definitely take you up on that. If your free this Monday, I could hop on at 1am and get in maybe an hour.
Sounds good. I'm definitely down to do that. Forewarning, I'm not as educated as PL in the fighting game world, however I am fairly good and know some things. The video will be broken up but in segments of 20+ minutes, and none of the issues that you had with PL.

Lastly, I only play Aquaman for now. Some Ares too but since you play DS I want the MU exp. Oddly enough I've played two DS in ranked and both raged to my zoning lol.

[Re-edit] The video is broken up because YouTube hates me :eek:
Any other questions you may have just ask here or PM me. Thanks for accepting my offer.

YouTube Channel: www.YouTube.com/mrgotmerked
YouTube Clan Channel: www.YouTube.com/ktokillatv

True Grave

You can see the training session footage here: http://testyourmight.com/threads/official-critique-my-deathstroke-gameplay-thread.31210/page-2

The actual video quality is fantastic. It's just a shame that it suffers from sound issues and match interruptions. It's not the end of the world, I just probably would have saved my $15 if I had known it would be such a headache to get footage of that quality.
I just use my cell phone and turtle beaches but it really isn't bad quality. Just a bit bright from my tv but its HD 720p and my cell phone has an 8.0mp. Darker maps record better than bright ones.

YouTube Channel: www.YouTube.com/mrgotmerked
YouTube Clan Channel: www.YouTube.com/ktokillatv