What's new

Discussion Patches overwhelmingly help NRS games not hurt them

Do you think NRS patching strategy is much better this time?

• Yes

Votes: 74 60.2%
  • No

Votes: 36 29.3%
  • In between overeall

Votes: 13 10.6%

• Total voters

Matix218

Get over here!
I think scorpion is arguably better than Kung jin and he doesn't get as much hate.
Imo scorp is better at fullscreen but kung jin is better from max bow staff range or closer. I actually think scorpion seems to be more of a complete character than kung jin but I dont deny that kung jin is pretty overwhelming especially when it is difficult to keep him out of range

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
There are people that say wait 6 months to 1 year to patch. I have shown that NRS stops supporting their game with patches after 5 months. The people who say wait that long to patch are in reality asking for no patches. I am talking about reality not how things should be in a perfect world.
We are arguing different things then. My issue is with NRS only patching within 6 months of release. But it makes sense given their business model. It's a better business decision to stop putting time and money into a 6 month old game and start putting time and money in their new product. NRS's biggest market is casual gamers. Not even casual fighting game players, casual gamers in general.

So I understand why they do it, even if that's not the exact reason, that reason makes sense. I still would rather they spread the patches out and cover 2+ years of the games life. But like you said, perfect world.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
Thought it'd be a good time to revive this thread. I for one am glad NRS is being proactive with making sure their game looks good this time around at Evo. With thousands of streamers going to be watching Evo and there being over 1000 entrants, I think they're playing it right.

Who will Yomi and other top players gravitate to now that KL and Tanya have been 'normalized? Will Raiden and D'Vorah return as the best 'super top' characters now? Will DJT go back to Fisticuffs Cage? Will MIT go back to Scorp? Will Sonic Fox go back to Erron Black? Who will Reo use? Evo just got super interesting. Sucks I can't go, but can't wait to watch!

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Thought it'd be a good time to revive this thread. I for one am glad NRS is being proactive with making sure their game looks good this time around at Evo. With thousands of streamers going to be watching Evo and there being over 1000 entrants, I think they're playing it right.

Who will Yomi and other top players gravitate to now that KL and Tanya have been 'normalized? Will Raiden and D'Vorah return as the best 'super top' characters now? Will DJT go back to Fisticuffs Cage? Will MIT go back to Scorp? Will Sonic Fox go back to Erron Black? Who will Reo use? Evo just got super interesting. Sucks I can't go, but can't wait to watch!
I don't necessarily think Tanya or Lao are bad now, though.

Slips

I don't necessarily think Tanya or Lao are bad now, though.
I don't think they're bad now either, but are they good enough for top players to keep playing? That's what I'm interested in.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
a strong patch schedule is the sign of a healthy game and is nothing but a good thing. I get that people can be very selfish and dislike their their OP toons getting fixed but in the long run it is a great thing. I really do not understand why people are so weird about patching. I mean seriously they are nothing but good for the game.

haketh

Noob
a strong patch schedule is the sign of a healthy game and is nothing but a good thing. I get that people can be very selfish and dislike their their OP toons getting fixed but in the long run it is a great thing. I really do not understand why people are so weird about patching. I mean seriously they are nothing but good for the game.
Because constantly having to relearn stuff out of the blue is *Ding* not fun for a lot of people. If their was at least a consistent patch schedule t wouldn't be as awful but they drop right out of the blue every damn time. Now we got players that have barely a week to relearn MUs for ESL & barely two for EVO. This shit is frustrating.

This patch especially is awful because hey if you're character has a really good top 8 showing with multiple players it puts the fear of "Is my shot getting psyched?" in competitors. I've defended NRS a ton but this past week has me throwing my hands in the air.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I don't think they're bad now either, but are they good enough for top players to keep playing? That's what I'm interested in.
MIT has already said Tanya is fine, it would be a mistake to drop her IMO. Same with DJT and Lao.

REO is the real wildcard lol.

Because constantly having to relearn stuff out of the blue is *Ding* not fun for a lot of people. If their was at least a consistent patch schedule t wouldn't be as awful but they drop right out of the blue every damn time. Now we got players that have barely a week to relearn MUs for ESL & barely two for EVO. This shit is frustrating.
People hunt down the most powerful tactics possible, and the more powerful the moves are the more likely they are to get patched, and the worse the character the bigger chance of surprise buffs in the mail. Way she goes.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
This patch specifically was a good thing. Tanya needed to be normalized, and they did it so quick so everyone has plenty of time to get used to the changes before EVO.

I already gave my opinion about this subject in this thread once though, so that's all I'm saying about the frequent patching.

SEV

Noob
I definitely think it's a good thing, but I can see it from the perspective of a player who plays more than one game which is pretty much, any non NRS dedicated player. They already put the majority of their time into at least one other game, possibly more, so whatever little time they put into the game can be made irrelevant by the changes, or their character could have been nerfed, which can frustrating from a successful competitor's perspective.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
The important part is the game balance. The goal is for every toon to be viable, and no toon to be to hardcore. No one can sit here and tell me the block pressure nurfs were not a good thing in the long run, or fixing the D'vorah 1 frame link, or reducing teleport advantage for Tayna to make her crazy movement less safe. I would rather these patched to come out and fix things than look at a top 8 like CEO again. The game has only been out for such a short time, and like ANY high level eSpots game as the balance gets worked out the patches will slow down and when this happens it will be nothing but good for not only the health of the torny scene but also the longevity of the game itself.

Now we got players that have barely a week to relearn MUs for ESL & barely two for EVO. This shit is frustrating.
There are events constantly, they can not and should not even be considered by NRS or we would always be waiting for patches. It is up to the events to declare cut off patch dates

MIT has already said Tanya is fine, it would be a mistake to drop her IMO. Same with DJT and Lao.REO is the real wildcard lol.
Exactly, this is what is so great about the way NRS is handling the patching. Not only are these adjustments (maybe we should stop throwing out the term Nurff and Buff) usually always good, they are tweaks. Small little fixes.

There have only been a few massive changes and these are usually to buff the hell out of someone. Anyone saying that LK or KL or Shinnock or w/e are now ruined is just reactionary and should be ignored, imo.

Also the D'vorah thing shows that NRS is not afraid to walk back something. She needed a nurff, but they hit her a little hard so they gave something back. That is awesome, and how it should be done.

Last edited:

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Seriously though, how long do you think it will take to figure it out? I'd say every player has less of an understanding of the game now. People would arguably be playing at a higher level if they didnt change it so much. Why couldn't they at least leave the game alone till after evo? No dlc and no patches till after evo imo would be ideal unless the patch was for something game breaking.

I just don't agree with how nrs handles this stuff. So many changes are taking place in a game we don't fully understand. It could be argued that the game could have been better untouched and vice versa. Why not at least let things play out for a while to get a better understanding of how things work? At least till after evo if they can't support the game for linger than 5 months.

We all want a good game but I I don't agree with the methods nrs uses to patch their games. Especially since they seem to be listening to bitching threads about nerfs and buffs all over these forums.

Scoot Magee

I purposely NEVER post on anything related to the MK community because let's me quite honest, there is no need to. Everyone knows what it looks like from the outside and it's a shame because for all intents and purposes the developers of the game do not mirror the absolute lunacy from the community.

So this whole argument/point was mute when I read there were 5 (5!) patches of Injustice.

I am sorry but other than changing obvious bugs, the rebalancing of the games does NOTHING but turn the tier list the other way. Do you guys really like Batgirl going nuts on everyone? No? Because outsiders view Injustice in a poor fashion not because of the developers but because of the constant clowning and ridiculousness of the MK community.

For years casual players of MK have always been whining, complaining, saying things need to be changed, etc.

You don't even have enough time to play and LEARN the game completely in the short months when games keep "needing" to be patched. It is the ultimate turn off.

Hardcore players may think this is fine for tournaments, and honestly the games sell so it does not really matter at this point, the developers do this so the community can be supported, but seriously, changing this, banning this, whining this, waaah wahhhh, all the time.

Also, in regards to the whole yell at the NRS testers and pro players...mind you it's IMPOSSIBLE to find everything with a small group of people. Best testers are the public, always has been. When I helped with some MK stuff on Mk vs DC and MK9, you won't believe how the "community" (this meaning most people on these boards) would say "we need pro players, we need better testers, we need frame data, etc." And as I look back on this now that I am not involved in these games, nothing has changed, people are still whining, and it's more of an "I told you so" from ages ago on how these games are not going to magically play like Street Fighter and not have bugs, etc.

They aren't supposed to, you take it for what it is and this is MK (which lately has played a lot more like 2D Tekken over the years) but the game is fun. Enjoy it. Quit complaining. Quit calling for patches. Quit saying XXX needs this, etc. The game has been out for 3 weeks and all everyone does is complain complain complain and want patch patch patch. Geez.
Pure truth.

I predict that Perfect Legend and Foxy Grandpa will benefit from this round of patches (or wont be affected rather).

I think we're likely to see Buzz Saw Kung Lao in top 8.

I am sure that Tempest Lao will still do fine, I don't expect Denzell to switch. KL will probably have to modify his pressure, become more of a bait character and read backdash with dive kick punishes.

I expect Dizzy, Honeybee and Saltface to do very well at Evo as well.

Last edited:

Slips

Seriously though, how long do you think it will take to figure it out? I'd say every player has less of an understanding of the game now. People would arguably be playing at a higher level if they didnt change it so much. Why couldn't they at least leave the game alone till after evo? No dlc and no patches till after evo imo would be ideal unless the patch was for something game breaking.

I just don't agree with how nrs handles this stuff. So many changes are taking place in a game we don't fully understand. It could be argued that the game could have been better untouched and vice versa. Why not at least let things play out for a while to get a better understanding of how things work? At least till after evo if they can't support the game for linger than 5 months.

We all want a good game but I I don't agree with the methods nrs uses to patch their games. Especially since they seem to be listening to bitching threads about nerfs and buffs all over these forums.
It's not like NRS is changing core game mechanics so I don't see why you think people are having trouble understanding the game. They are changing character's and their balance. Not the core gameplay.

You say no patches unless the patch was for something game breaking. Well isn't that what Kung Jin, Raiden, Tanya, D'Vorah, Erron Black ect. were doing?

I just don't see how you think patches delay people's understanding of the game. If anything it lets you get to know what the designer wants and how he thinks the game should be played, not vice-versa. And I think you're crazy if you think this game would be better untouched filled with the ridiculously over-powered character mentioned above with the complete garbage some characters were like Kenshi, Shinnock, Kitana ect. The balance has GREATLY been improved because of patches.

I don't think I have to remind you or anyone else when NRS had minimal patches for Injustice prior to Evo and Superman made the game look so bad it got booed on the grand stage. As someone who was working there at the time it was embarrassing as hell.

NRS is doing good this time. I fully support the patches. League of Legends patches their game monthly. Some characters are just straight up banned in Blizzard sponsored tournaments because they know they are messed up and are re-working them. Yet their community still supports them and loves their game. I just wish we could treat NRS the same.

I predict that Perfect Legend and Foxy Grandpa will benefit from this round of patches (or wont be affected rather).

I think we're likely to see Buzz Saw Kung Lao in top 8.

I am sure that Tempest Lao will still do fine, I don't expect Denzell to switch. KL will probably have to modify his pressure, become more of a bait character and read backdash with dive kick punishes.

I expect Dizzy, Honeybee and Saltface to do very well at Evo as well.
i dont see any difference u could already backdash or armor through it.

will ex clone ever work? lol interesting questions from patch to patch indeed.

Scoot Magee

It's not like NRS is changing core game mechanics so I don't see why you think people are having trouble understanding the game. They are changing character's and their balance. Not the core gameplay.

You say no patches unless the patch was for something game breaking. Well isn't that what Kung Jin, Raiden, Tanya, D'Vorah, Erron Black ect. were doing?

I just don't see how you think patches delay people's understanding of the game. If anything it lets you get to know what the designer wants and how he thinks the game should be played, not vice-versa. And I think you're crazy if you think this game would be better untouched filled with the ridiculously over-powered character mentioned above with the complete garbage some characters were like Kenshi, Shinnock, Kitana ect. The balance has GREATLY been improved because of patches.

I don't think I have to remind you or anyone else when NRS had minimal patches for Injustice prior to Evo and Superman made the game look so bad it got booed on the grand stage. As someone who was working there at the time it was embarrassing as hell.

NRS is doing good this time. I fully support the patches. League of Legends patches their game monthly. Some characters are just straight up banned in Blizzard sponsored tournaments because they know they are messed up and are re-working them. Yet their community still supports them and loves their game. I just wish we could treat NRS the same.
I hear where you're coming from but I can't agree with the constant patches in such a short period of time. It's like we're playing an open beta of the game. People are getting pissed that everything keeps changing before tournaments. The worst thing is they're just dropping them without warning.

I'm not saying I'm right about balance, I just think the patching can be handled better. The whole 5 month support is an issue I wish could be worked out. I want a good game like everyone else does.

Slips

I hear where you're coming from but I can't agree with the constant patches in such a short period of time. It's like we're playing an open beta of the game. People are getting pissed that everything keeps changing before tournaments. The worst thing is they're just dropping them without warning.

I'm not saying I'm right about balance, I just think the patching can be handled better. The whole 5 month support is an issue I wish could be worked out. I want a good game like everyone else does.
I do think NRS could communicate better. It would definitely soften the blow of what they hope or intend to change instead of just drop patches out of nowhere without warning. And then there are phantom buffs and nerfs which don't help either. Are they trying to pull a fast one on us or did they just forget to mention them? Not a good look. I agree the patches could be handled better, no denying that.

Last edited: