What's new

Mortal Kombat X - Tournament Console Standard?

What console should be major tournament standard for Mortal Kombat X?

• Total voters

Vandy

Kumite!
Midwest Championships is returning as a three day event in June run by KiT.
MKX will be featured heavily.

My strong preference is to run it on XBox 360 due to console availability and controller/stick versatility.

If I had to pick between PS4 and XBox One it would be XBox One due to Killer Instinct.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Probably will just be whatever EVO chooses. So unless there is big problems with xbone, I forsee that being the standard, as EVO was and likely still is sponsored by Microsoft.

I dont care particularly either way tbh. Ill play whatever the tournament standard is, im just speaking logically and based on track records. If you look at MK9 and INJ track record, it was mainly based on what EVO or MLG was running the system on, not what "the best" system was.
Evo should choose the system that the community deems the best game experience and tournament standard. If you actually look at INJ track record, you will see that the switch to 360 was made due to performance issues on PS3. Game performance should be the deciding factor always. Second factor to consider is cost/logistics.

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
My brain doesn't work that well =(

Please explain why.
We will have to see. But it most likely will not run as well since NRS is developing for next gen, and then another company is responsible for porting it the 360. Time will tell though.

I agree with the KI/MKX Xbox One combo though. Just more convienent

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Is the community expecting the core game to perform worse on 360 and PS3 such that it is unplayable at a tournament level?
Unless im mistaken, Boon said that xbone, ps4, pc was being done by NRS, and 360 and PS3 would be ports. Lets just say the track record for ports on NRS games doesnt leave me hopeful.

Vandy

Kumite!
Sounds good. There are a couple of months between the release date and my event so I can wait. It's either going to be 360 or XBox One though (barring something making those unplayable).

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Is the community expecting the core game to perform worse on 360 and PS3 such that it is unplayable at a tournament level?
I'm okay with playing it on 360 until we can upgrade to higher consoles. Only if it can play MKX at a steady framerate. Unless the community wants to donate funds to play it on/lend their consoles for tournament.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
ps4, powerful, easy to disc and connect controllers, and stop crying about ur sticks please. It's not USF4 and many of MK players play on controllers and ps4 controller is much better then XB1 for fighting games, atm i bought CronusMax to play USF4 on XB360 with my ps4 controller and still want play withouth any converter too even if i got one, and more... if there is another exclusif character so SONY will get it first for sure
Wait, why are people who never/will never be in tournaments voting here?

No converters for PS4 is farts. TOs already bought XBones for KI.
Shrek is love, Shrek is life.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Sounds good. There are a couple of months between the release date and my event so I can wait. It's either going to be 360 or XBox One though (barring something making those unplayable).
360 makes sense due to the access, but trust me, if the same team that ported the last 2 are doing it, you may wanna go xbox one. Also, I appreciate your love to this community. Not many to's post here frequently.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master

How do you know he'll never attend?

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
The France, Strasbourg in his profile gave it away.

Also, why am I gonna have to spend $300 extra dollars because some dude who may or may not attend a tournament one day is a fanboy?
To be fair, you may have to spend that anyway. We dont know what will happen.

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
If it's on a 360 port I won't even bother wasting time going. Game is being made to run at 60fps 1080p and we are proposing to use a garbage port? Game is being developed on ps4 (from what i have heard) so let's just use that. Otherwise, xbox but please not xbox360 or ps3.

cyke_out

Noob
If it's on a 360 port I won't even bother wasting time going. Game is being made to run at 60fps 1080p and we are proposing to use a garbage port? Game is being developed on ps4 (from what i have heard) so let's just use that. Otherwise, xbox but please not xbox360 or ps3.
If NRS is developing the game on ps4, then that is a no brainer. If I recall correctly, mk9 was developed on 360 and the ps3 port was shit.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I think we should factor in controllers too though. I don't really know the state of the converter market for next gen but last I heard there were no good converters for PS2 pads. Personally I'm probably going with PC for my own copy but not set yet. For tournaments I get that PC would be way too much of a problem but what about staying on Xbox 360 until all the controller issues are worked out? I agree we'll probably just do whatever Evo says they'll be playing on but I think it is at least worth talking about staying 360 until everyone can play on the controller they want. Unless the game plays too differently between previous and next gen but obviously we can't know that yet.
This is definitely an issue to consider, but mods and converters will exist at some point. I just hope the preferred system for controller is also the better performing system. If somehow the 360 version is just a graphically watered down version of the game and it plays no differently, I would be shocked, but delighted because I will absolutely run a fundraiser stream to purchase a bunch of new systems so new into their lifespan. I didn't start buying PS3s and 360s until they came down significantly in price and there were plenty of used/lower end base models to choose from.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
If both the XBONE and PS4 run MKX the same, as in there's no differences, it should come down to which one has the best converters. Technically, our community could come together to donate towards set-ups for tournaments, and have a community based vote on which system we want to be the tournament standard. But that would just be a console fanboy popularity contest, and probably 90% of the votes will be from people who don't even go to tournaments, lol.

Just a thought. We COULD make the decision as a community, and not rely on what the TO's decide. Like I said though, that would require donations, and a lot of them at that.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
We need to find out what system it's being developed on for sure. During testing we were told by NRS that MK9 was developed on 360 and ported to PS3 which is why they updated the 360 dev kits wirelessly and PS3 required burning a new disc for each build. Shortly after that I got into what became a really frustrating and heated argument with a guy I hadn't spoken to in 10 years who does interviews with people in the gaming industry. Apparently someone unrelated to NRS told him MK9 was developed on PS3 and he absolutely refused to believe me when I told him it wasn't and why I knew lol. He got SO mad when I told him he was wrong! All hearsay aside, it would only make sense to develop on 360 because it's the Unreal 3 engine, which is tightly knit with Microsoft, DirectX Windows RT. Boon has said on twitter that MKX is developed on a highly customized Unreal 3. At this point, I don't know if it would absolutely confirm that it's developed on XONE.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
It's going to be based on best frame rate and performance, and it should be nothing else. Once the game comes out we can perhaps take a community vote or just got with what NRS insiders tell us is the best. lols
Yah, as long as it doesn't take forever to start playing on the best console like it did with MK9

Too many people kept there heads in the ground about how shitty the game ran on PS3,

I'm getting it on both PS4/One to be good to go.

As long as no tournys try run it on 360 or PS3 when NRS isn't touching those versions, tourny should be the highest possible standard and version of the game. Hell if it ends up being the best on PC, I would support that as well.