What's new

Mortal Kombat X to be Region Locked

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
Why am I seeing 3 pages of this thread and about 4 of the other with OP trying to argue one point which everyone accepted long ago?
Because they haven't... read the post directly below your's that I just quoted. Also didn't you rage quit from the MK scene and MKX because of the lock? Why are you still here?

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
This is getting a bit out of hand with speculation and misinformation. in another website an update ran that said only ps3 will be regionlocked everything else will be Rfree... can someone plz confirm this for sure?! is it all playstation platforms locked or just ps3? cause as such this quite affects me, to the fellow US players saying they dont care bout this because they get to play freely with their friends/community etc... remember there are quite a lot of US citizens that have to often work outside the US for long periods of time... myself included on that list...so as such im currently in the UK for sometime as such i decided to get my CE here, 1. not going to cancel it cause they are gone everywhere. 2. dont feel like buying another copy in the US just to play with my friends etc... this is quite ridiculous cause when i get home (US) i will have a useless game....
Source

Noob
An Eventhubs article regarding this "issue" ran an update to the previous information saying the following and i quote "EventHubs reader Juanito Calvicie notified us that the region locks for only play only apply to gamers on the PlayStation 3 versions of NetherRealm Studios fighting games; online play for Mortal Kombat 9 and Injustice is region-free on the Xbox 360 version."

Now this is pretty confusing as i read it a couple times over and still im not clarified bout the situation, but 2 points to be taken from this:
1.Juanito Calvicie, no clue who he is, so dont even know how realiable this can be, but eventhubs updated the article with this info from him so...salt
2.the update is very open to interpretation, i read and interpreted the following ( the guy notified EH that RLocks apply only to PS3 versions of the games.)
that reads to me as only PS3 is locked out, of all the platforms they released games on and ps4 will not be locked.

Another note also posted here is that Shaun Himmerick removed said tweet since then, is it due to the backlash this will bring or because that info is not set in stone??!!. thats why in my post i asked for concrete info since this great affects me and possibly alot of ppl, im sure pro players in EU regions would like to run some sets with their fellow US friends, as some of us do have connections that can handle the distance ( netcode aside)

IrishMantis

An Eventhubs article regarding this "issue" ran an update to the previous information saying the following and i quote "EventHubs reader Juanito Calvicie notified us that the region locks for only play only apply to gamers on the PlayStation 3 versions of NetherRealm Studios fighting games; online play for Mortal Kombat 9 and Injustice is region-free on the Xbox 360 version."

Now this is pretty confusing as i read it a couple times over and still im not clarified bout the situation, but 2 points to be taken from this:
1.Juanito Calvicie, no clue who he is, so dont even know how realiable this can be, but eventhubs updated the article with this info from him so...salt
2.the update is very open to interpretation, i read and interpreted the following ( the guy notified EH that RLocks apply only to PS3 versions of the games.)
that reads to me as only PS3 is locked out, of all the platforms they released games on and ps4 will not be locked.

Another note also posted here is that Shaun Himmerick removed said tweet since then, is it due to the backlash this will bring or because that info is not set in stone??!!. thats why in my post i asked for concrete info since this great affects me and possibly alot of ppl, im sure pro players in EU regions would like to run some sets with their fellow US friends, as some of us do have connections that can handle the distance ( netcode aside)
Yeah im not taking his word, thats as good as me saying the same thing right now

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I really don't want to beat a dead horse at this point with a third thread on the subject in just over 24 hours but since the revelation broke yesterday, there seems to be a lot of misinterpretations, and words put into mouths, and hasn't been properly addressed without needless attempts at like-bait responses.

I only make this thread to clear this up to the best of my ability. I myself am not trying to entertain speculations nor facts, but rather the facts of the speculations we do have.

Okay first off, I'm pretty confident most people on the site are aware that region locking and netcode are not one in the same, nor is the region lock a direct consequence of the netcode. What is being stressed here is the suspicion that the region lock has been put into place to smokescreen potentially poor netcode, being aggravated even further with match-making over cross-continental distances. Which doesn't make any sense regardless given that Europeans will be able to play with those in the Oceania region.

The second issue people have with this, is in the words of the tweet that confirmed this and I quote: "region lock will be the same as mk9/Injustice" implies that the game will only be region locked on PS3/PS4. No other platforms. Evidently it is not down to the censorship of MK in some countries, where all versions are actively being retailed and every version would be region locked had this been the case.

Lastly, I've personally already touched upon this before, given that no other fighting game in at least the last 3 years has been region locked, the inquiry is as simple as.... why is MKX region locked? Yes, NRS has the uncommon distinction of a fighting game developer based in the US opposed to the majority coming from Japan, as well as Sony being a Japanese corporation, but it's unlikely any of these relations are coming into play as Sony Computer Entertainment has more than enough intel and personnel within their American and European subsidiaries. In fact, I would be surprised if the Japanese subsidiary had any intervention given that MKX isn't being released in Japan in the first place. If you really wanna be thrown for a loop, MK Arcade Kollection (which was outsourced to Other Ocean studios mind you), is NOT region locked on any platform.

There surely have been other aspects of this talked about, I just wanted to address the ones that are causing the most confusion.

As long as everyone is now informed on what the concerns are, not necessarily the answers to the concerns, that is all, dismissed.

Noob
@FireBreather well yeah i do agree with that. we dont know who this dude is and where the info came from (reliable or just made up) so salt is to be used in that quote, but 2 things got me scratching my head, one is like i said why would eventhubs even tho not a big news outlet but still a source of info in all FGC material, would ran an update without some reliability in said info? and the other is why would Shaun Himmerick post that just to, no more than a few hours later take it down?
This feels like the peddle that will make the castle fall, we all know that netcode and netplay are the most important features in Fighting games, and this screams, (we all know that our netcode is no good so lets regionlock to mitigate the problem instead of actually spending time to make a good netcode)
i hate how they control information and how vague they leave stuff...

IrishMantis

@FireBreather well yeah i do agree with that. we dont know who this dude is and where the info came from (reliable or just made up) so salt is to be used in that quote, but 2 things got me scratching my head, one is like i said why would eventhubs even tho not a big news outlet but still a source of info in all FGC material, would ran an update without some reliability in said info? and the other is why would Shaun Himmerick post that just to, no more than a few hours later take it down?
This feels like the peddle that will make the castle fall, we all know that netcode and netplay are the most important features in Fighting games, and this screams, (we all know that our netcode is no good so lets regionlock to mitigate the problem instead of actually spending time to make a good netcode)
i hate how they control information and how vague they leave stuff...
Just read it and hate to disappoint you but eventhubs was lost in translation, the dude is saying what we already know that it wont effect Xbox owners but it will PSN

https://twitter.com/_CHINOCUDEIRO_/status/576812017731899392

IrishMantis

I thought that too, but i think shaun would of pointed out it just includes last gen.

But as you, i would love to hear the reason why

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
Just read it and hate to disappoint you but eventhubs was lost in translation, the dude is saying what we already know that it wont effect Xbox owners but it will PSN

https://twitter.com/_CHINOCUDEIRO_/status/576812017731899392
Yeah he knows nothing and is just doing what is happening here... Appling what happened with previous games to the current one...
Shawn could have also misspoke or maybe even assumed they were all not locked because he only remember 360 wasn't locked... Who knows until we get a official word with a explanation that is not on Twitter... This is all crazy talk until then

IrishMantis

Yeah he knows nothing and is just doing what is happening here... Appling what happened with previous games to the current one...
Shawn could have also misspoke or maybe even assumed they were all not locked because he only remember 360 wasn't locked... Who knows until we get a official word with a explanation that is not on Twitter... This is all crazy talk until then
Thats why im in support of kicking up a racket, cause we will not answer at all if we dont, but looks like the news is gone widespread its not like a few yaers ago where no one knew the difference people are alot more tech savvy these days and for the best

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
Thats why im in support of kicking up a racket, cause we will not answer at all if we dont, but looks like the news is gone widespread its not like a few yaers ago where no one knew the difference people are alot more tech savvy these days and for the best
Definitely understand the need for a real answer... As it's a odd situation and I don't believe anyone here has the real answer as to why if it is in fact only this way on ps4...

Noob
@FireBreather well i explained my situation so racket me in for that, in this day and age its ridiculous for this to happen and for those agreeing with this you are the reason games dont evolve and mechanics/politics like this are still around. if your concerned with lag just look at the bars and ping and dont play that person if you think it will lag. why punish everyone just cause you are lazy... online is where its at and if you are limiting that experience you are dooming your own game in the end. MK9 is proof enouth

unfortunally i doubt we will get an answer from anyone because if this comes to be our reality and ps systems are locked they will lose a lot of sales specially in europe, ( since the european market is mainly dominated by Sony systems) so im pretty sure they will keep this info as limited as possible just so they dont hurt their numbers in the european market and thats why i think said tweet was removed

Ra Helios

Omnipotent God-like Selina Kyle Player
Sucks for the Ps4 and ps3 owners. Greatness truly awaits!!!

Last edited:

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Because they haven't... read the post directly below your's that I just quoted. Also didn't you rage quit from the MK scene and MKX because of the lock? Why are you still here?
I come here for the idiots and this thread did not disappoint.

"Rage from the MK scene" lol.

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
He most likely deleted it because it's a bad look for NRS. They probably wanted to keep it on the down-low, and let PS users have a nasty surprise when they realise they've just spent £50 and can't even connect to everyone.

Last edited:

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Thank god I bought xbox one not ps4 ^^ Also I think online will be better on xbox ( less lag )
Same here lol. Even though I don't like playing overseas people, shit lags bad lol. But at least it's good for M$$ and NRS to give us the option on there.

IrishMantis

He most likely deleted it because it's a bad look for NRS. They probably wanted to keep it on the down-low, and let EU PS users have a nasty surprise when they realise they've just spent £50 and can't even connect to everyone.
Ironically he made it look worse deleting it

Last edited:

cfw

Toys can't save you!
I really hope we get clarification on this soon, I have a few friends in EU and we play all types of fgs together. :(

Noob
I dont want to be that guy thats just replying with the same thing in every thread related to this, but sence its relevant to your clarification allow me. I Dunno from where this decision comes from if its due to external to NRS politics or just NRS being NRS but the European market is probably 85% dominated if not more by PS4´s (note that might be an exageration but numbers are probably making the majority be ps4) this decision will cost a lot of sales to NRS since it already spread like wild fire, i for one have fellow american citizens that are working overseas with me and they already cancelled their pre order of the game and are not likely to buy it anytime soon, even local Eu players that i know cancelled their orders and are going to wait until the dust cloud is gone to see whats happening with netcodes and regionlocks so good job NRS way to rack up your sales overseas... now i know why smoke is not in this game yet, he is working for NRS to create this cool smokescreen