What's new

Mortal Kombat X to be Region Locked

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
@Fractured_Shadow yea man I don't understand that net code stuff at all. Here's the two things I'm really not getting.

1) Tekken is other main game, and on PS3 it's virtually flawless. I can play the U.S. or Europe with barely any lag at all. Why/How is a last gen game not region locked and be so smooth online but PS4 MKX is locked?

2) If it's the same net code, then why is Xbox One free to play everywhere but PS4 is region locked. Would that mean online will be better on PS4 because it's locked or better on X11 because it's everywhere? Why are they not both the same?

There's so many differing opinions in this thread, but I have no idea the answer to these two questions or their impact, if any, on the quality of online in MKX.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
That is funny... because I am... in fact, that is what I have always been talking about... that NRS is not locking MKX on the PS4 only because of netcode.

What exactly are you trying to argue? That NRS is locking because.....?
Oh shit!!!!

I thought you where saying something else?

sorry dude my rage blinded me into seen something im not

i apologies man, completely misunderstood you, i see your on our side.

IrishMantis

Holy shit, guys. Region locking has shit to do with technology and everything to do with licensing. If your local grocery store decided not to carry french fries you wouldn't go yell at farmers for not growing potatoes right.
Well if thats so why cant they license?

why is Tekken, SF, DOA, BB, GG etc etc all not have online region lokc by EVERY NRS game does?

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
I would personally like to hear from the horses mouth why the PS4 version will be region locked and not the XB1 version. I've seen people saying they prefer region lock to avoid continental lag. Well, NRS could simply implement the SF strategy showing a flag by your tag or something to avoid that, so its not really a excuse for you.

IrishMantis

I would personally like to hear from the horses mouth why the PS4 version will be region locked and not the XB1 version. I've seen people saying they prefer region lock to avoid continental lag. Well, NRS could simply implement the SF strategy showing a flag by your tag or something to avoid that, so its not really a excuse for you.
E-fuckin-xactly!!!

d3v

SRK
I agree. I'm just trying to kill the "its the netcode" arguement because both PSN and XBox have dedicated servers and will have the same netcode.
If it has servers, then the netcode sucks because proper fighting game netcode is peer-to-peer.

No fighting game with godlike netcode uses servers. Killer Instinct, Skullgirls, MvC: Origins, Darstalker Resurrection, 3rd Strike Online, etc. all peer-to-peer.

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
It most likely has nothing to do at all with anything that anyone here is talking about... Most games people are saying are not locked are from Japanese companies... WB is not.. Niether is MS... They also have different licensing agreements... Or it could be something very stupid like the AU or German version will be censored or rated different so the entire PAL region gets punished for it.. As both of these things have happened in the past with media...

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
If it has servers, then the netcode sucks because proper fighting game netcode is peer-to-peer.

No fighting game with godlike netcode uses servers. Killer Instinct, Skullgirls, MvC: Origins, Darstalker Resurrection, 3rd Strike Online, etc. all peer-to-peer.
Well, from what I understand KI and Skullgirls use something very similar to GGPO, which more than likely a big reason the online play is solid compared to others.

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
whats region lock by the way? serious question BUt reply with direct relation to what it would mean for MKX specifically

For the PC elitists out there, not everyone has a high end rig, or the funds to upgrade to high end, but will the PC community be anywhere near as big as the console ones?

I have yet to buy a next gen console, and I was mostly sold on the PS4 because of SF V but this really dissapoints me.

Error404

Noob
I know that, but from reading the other thread that what most of the complaints seemed to be about. Region locking won't really affect me, but for the EU players it really sucks, especially since their online scene is so sporadic. This will actually kill it for them in a couple of months.
There is on average about 105 people online on psn at night for mk 9 right now. If the game is good people will play it.

You realise that people wont be buying a next gen console for just MK X, but other games in mind.

Other games that are exclusive to that console.

If SF V was coming to XBone then it would be a no brainer for me. I like fighting games. I want to play SF V when it lands. Which at the moment means getting a PS4. But only being able to play the UK and EU is not cool.

OP stop being a NRS apologist. People have the right to be pissed off about this!

trufenix

bye felicia
Well if thats so why cant they license?
You're not going to get an answer. None of us are unless we work for WB. I've heard reasons like import defense, localization, marketing deals, etc in the past for other games, but the bottom line is its money WB didn't want to spend. It may seem like some sort of personalized middle finger, but its just business.

why is Tekken, SF, DOA, BB, GG etc etc all not have online region lokc by EVERY NRS game does?
You say etc, etc, but MKX isn't the only game (or even the only big game) that has region locked anything. Region free is an option both Sony and MS provided but don't force on anyone. The politics behind getting a game made are as distinct as the design of the games themselves. If they don't all play the same, or look the same, or sound the same, then they sure as shit aren't going to be made and sold the same either. Regionless play might be important to you, Capcom, Tecmo and whoever else but it obviously isn't to WB.

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
@Fractured_Shadow yea man I don't understand that net code stuff at all. Here's the two things I'm really not getting.

1) Tekken is other main game, and on PS3 it's virtually flawless. I can play the U.S. or Europe with barely any lag at all. Why/How is a last gen game not region locked and be so smooth online but PS4 MKX is locked?

2) If it's the same net code, then why is Xbox One free to play everywhere but PS4 is region locked. Would that mean online will be better on PS4 because it's locked or better on X11 because it's everywhere? Why are they not both the same?

There's so many differing opinions in this thread, but I have no idea the answer to these two questions or their impact, if any, on the quality of online in MKX.
These are the main questions man lol. Nobody but NRS will be able to tell is why.

All I am trying to say is that the netcode and lag have ZERO to do with region lock... it might be a BS excuess that is given but it is hardley ever the case...

PS4 and XBox One have dedicated servers and PS has openly said they are against region locking so this is pretty interesting...

But once again I highly doubt to do with the quality of online....

Also we are from America so this really does not affect us...

IrishMantis

You're not going to get an answer. None of us are unless we work for WB. I've heard reasons like import defense, localization, marketing deals, etc in the past for other games, but the bottom line is its money WB didn't want to spend. It may seem like some sort of personalized middle finger, but its just business.

You say etc, etc, but MKX isn't the only game (or even the only big game) that has region locked anything. Region free is an option both Sony and MS provided but don't force on anyone. The politics behind getting a game made are as distinct as the design of the games themselves. If they don't all play the same, or look the same, or sound the same, then they sure as shit aren't going to be made and sold the same either. Regionless play might be important to you, Capcom, Tecmo and whoever else but it obviously isn't to WB.
I know thats the answer i fear from them.

But its no problem for XBox lol, its like "Fuck it, just copy and paste the code, they will complain but they'll get over it"

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
You realise that people wont be buying a next gen console for just MK X, but other games in mind.

Other games that are exclusive to that console.

If SF V was coming to XBone then it would be a no brainer for me. I like fighting games. I want to play SF V when it lands. Which at the moment means getting a PS4. But only being able to play the UK and EU is not cool.

OP stop being a NRS apologist. People have the right to be pissed off about this!
At no point have I been an NRS apologist... I am simply trying to pound the fact that NETCODE is not the reason why MKX is region locked. This thread was in response to 470000 posts about how MKX netcode must suck dick and that is why it is region locked... which is a retarded notion...

Shaazzyam

undefeated online evo champion
u guise i heard xbone 1 players go to college to get more knowledge but ps4 scrubs go to jupiter to get more stupider