What's new

More MKX News, Beyond KP2, On The Horizon, Koming Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

evolution07

It's too soon to get cocky.
Do you believe the new netcode would be that good?.
I believe it'll be a huge improvement over what we have now. The lag has to go. I'm honestly over it, but because I love the game so much, I put up with it. Having lag in this game and players getting away with not being punished on stuff when they're negative, or using OP characters to gain an advantage is getting old.

stamatis

Όσα δε φτάνει η αλεπού. ........
I believe it'll be a huge improvement over what we have now. The lag has to go. I'm honestly over it, but because I love the game so much, I put up with it. Having lag in this game and players getting away with not being punished on stuff when they're negative, or using OP characters to gain an advantage is getting old.
My expectations are low,but I hope you are right.

If they are at least still trying to improve the online experience I have to commend them. I hope they are and its a huge improvement. I'll probably purchase the 2nd Injustice game if they do, although I'm not a DC fan. Marvel all day Batches!

If they are at least still trying to improve the online experience I have to commend them. I hope they are and its a huge improvement. I'll probably purchase the 2nd Injustice game if they do, although I'm not a DC fan. Marvel all day Batches!

d3v

SRK
The thing that people need to realize is that GGPO, and rollback netcode in general, will not totally eliminate input dely.

What rollback netcode takes out is variable input delay, which is the delay that keeps on changing in the middle of a match.

The thing that people need to realize is that GGPO, and rollback netcode in general, will not totally eliminate input dely.

What rollback netcode takes out is variable input delay, which is the delay that keeps on changing in the middle of a match.
So when you say "delay that keeps on changing in the middle of the match" this means that the timing you have to have to complete combos and moves can vary within a single match?

evolution07

It's too soon to get cocky.
when was the last time the internet went down.. oh yeah.. never and free. that is better than consoles... plus I think due to pc master race nerds the connections are often much better as well.
Online is not that expensive, and having the best internet in the world won't improve the netcode with this game. If u don't wanna pay for online then why own a console?

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
when was the last time the internet went down.. oh yeah.. never and free. that is better than consoles... plus I think due to pc master race nerds the connections are often much better as well.
From my short time playing on PC I've noticed the quality of matches are better. I'm pretty sure that's because people with PC's are usually wired. I also appreciate that matchmaking lets you know if it's searching in your region or not.

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
GGPO required the game to output save states. So at one point during the game loop, it needs to take a snapshot of everything in some form, store. I'm kinda at a loss at how to explain how game loops work without writing an essay littered with code snippets though....

What you'll hear from most people is this then requires a "bottom up" solution. That is, when you are programming the logic of the game you need to keep in mind that the game must be generating save states. Not something you can tack on after the fact.

Not saying it isn't impossible, but definitely hard. If NRS managed to pull it off I'd be extremely curious to learn how they did it via patching.

*edit*
Found an article on ge loops that gives a pretty good description
http://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/articles/gamedev-glossary-what-is-the-game-loop--gamedev-2469

So imagine instead of going from the update to draw step, you instead sometimes went from update, to another update (to resync), and then draw, based on some piece of logic. In non GGPO you don't need to do that. They're not out of sync because you waited until they were, at the expense of input delay

is it possible that they maybe wanted GGPO from the start so some of the groundwork foundation is there but just coulnt perfected it in time for release ? sort of laid dormant so they could come back into the future to work & implement it at a later date ? so its not a complete overhaul or would this be not feasible?

i only ask cause with how you have explained it, it really doesnt seem like a walk in the park to do. and with how Boon and most NRS have been promising better netcode, and yet shying away from direct netcode questions, it seems as if they knew something had to come but wasnt 100% sure how it was gonna pan out is the vibe i got . Trying to jump head first in this without at least laying some groundwork would seem like a nightmare.

WidowPuppy

Attack pekingese
Possible netcode improvements, hmmm... Thanks Ono, wish you could of released SF5 right after MKX but... this will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.