What's new

Discussion MKXL Post 3/29/16 Tier List Thread

Goat-City

Banned
I really don't understand how Kitana's only considered B+. I know even that's not bad considering this game's high level of balance but people don't think she's A tier in Royal Storm or Assassin? I'm also surprised that Jax isn't S tier and Kenshi is only B(+) tier after his buffs. And Sub Zero should definitely only be A tier.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Against Lackey, GM sub-zero, Commando Kano, cutthroat Kano (but oddly not cybernetic)
Against Vicious, we have a surprising amount of trouble with Hellfire scorpion
Against Ruthless, Venomous D'vorah, Acidic Alien

And against all 3 variations there's Shinnok, Takeda, and Relentless Jason I think it was.

Piercing Mileena isn't a 7-3 but it's far from an easy fight.
Well, I did mention that if your character has variations that can cover certain MUs then your standing on the list is improved. Where would you place him on the list?

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Well, I did mention that if your character has variations that can cover certain MUs then your standing on the list is improved. Where would you place him on the list?
I probably would've put him in just regular A-tier, but if you're counting coverage then its understandable why you'd place him higher since he is meant to be played with all 3 variations.

I just find it hard to idealize the benefit of covering MUs where you're still prime to get counter picked at every turn, but that's just me. I always assume the worst.

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
I probably would've put him in just regular A-tier, but if you're counting coverage then its understandable why you'd place him higher since he is meant to be played with all 3 variations.

I just find it hard to idealize the benefit of covering MUs where you're still prime to get counter picked at every turn, but that's just me. I always assume the worst.
Don't you Play lackey only though? Has nothing to do with the list I'm just asking out of curiosity.

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
Slowest in the game, no real offense, always has to give up his turn, no good true mids, his 'pressure' all loses to anybody with a 6f move.
He cant escape pressure himself without ex spinning in alot of cases because his fastest other than spin is 8f, which gets low profiled by alot too, so usually has to commit to a 9f d4, which again if blocked he loses his turn.

No real way to open people up other than grab. His biggest strength isnt even that good, in that you cant jump at him when he has meter, and you cant do shit thats -7. Big whoop.

Your turn, tell me how he's actually any good :)

For the record, I dropped him when he was still +12 because all these issues existed then. He was never as good as people thought he was in comparison to the rest of the cast.
I'm not used to Foxy giving an argument for why his character isn't good.

JDM

Noob
My few issues with this:

-Lao is way too low. Best reversal in the game now and the best anti-air game, Good buttons and good tools, this character cannot be bottom 10.
-Ermac S tier? Why? I definitely think Spectral is slept on but I wouldn't put him up that high.
-Sonya should probably be higher
-Kang should be higher.
-Kotal and Jason could both be moved up to A+ tier
-Predator is probably lower, gets bodied in a lot of matchups now and his strengths are less oppressive now while his weaknesses are still there.
-Tanya is likely higher than that, seems like a kneejerk placement.

But yeah other than that solid list. Ermac/Predator/Lao/Tanya placings are the only ones I think need more thought to them.

also triborg sucks

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Why? His other 2 variations are pretty solid. It also specifically says that shit variations don't way down the better ones. Unbreakable didn't weigh down Sub-Zero, Inferno didn't weigh down Scorpion, so I think Kenshi is in a appropriate spot.
They are okish, but I don't see Possessed or Kenjutsu being much better than the best variation of any of the characters he listed as B+. Kung Lao can't be in the same tier as Kenshi, come on...

If Balanced was buffed to the level of surpassing Kenjutsu and Possessed (which is not going to happen), maybe Kenshi could travel to B+ or even A.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
They are okish, but I don't see Possessed or Kenjutsu being much better than the best variation of any of the characters he listed as B+. Kung Lao can't be in the same tier as Kenshi, come on...

If Balanced was buffed to the level of surpassing Kenjutsu and Possessed (which is not going to happen), maybe Kenshi could travel to B+ or even A.
Kung Lao got toned down significantly. Kenshi definitely isn't S tier or even A+ but his 2 best variations are really really solid, not perfect like D'vorah, but solid.

Kenjutsu and possessed combined are as good as Lao

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way

Well first off he's not placed on the same level as Lao(for now) and me saying that he is in a good spot on the list isn't me saying he's amazing. He's placed in the bottom 2 with the possibility of being bottom 6. And while we are on the subject, why couldn't Kenshi be on the same level as the B+ characters? I think Possessed and Kenjutsu are as good as Displacer or Thuner God Raiden. And this Kung Lao isn't the same Lao you're thinking of, the old Tempest Lao is dead and buried. He can't really pressure you or open you up. And his other two variations are garbage. I think Kenjutsu is as good or better than the XL Kung Lao, pretty soon everybody will drop that line of thinking with Lao.

ismael4790

Well first off he's not placed on the same level as Lao(for now) and me saying that he is in a good spot on the list isn't me saying he's amazing. He's placed in the bottom 2 with the possibility of being bottom 6. And while we are on the subject, why couldn't Kenshi be on the same level as the B+ characters? I think Possessed and Kenjutsu are as good as Displacer or Thuner God Raiden. And this Kung Lao isn't the same Lao you're thinking of, the old Tempest Lao is dead and buried. He can't really pressure you or open you up. And his other two variations are garbage. I think Kenjutsu is as good or better than the XL Kung Lao, pretty soon everybody will drop that line of thinking with Lao.
I don't know, I've been told here by some people that Fisti Cage is mid/ upper mid tier, and he has much more problems to open up people than Tempest Lao. So or current Lao is underestimated, or Fisti is overestimated.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I don't know, I've been told here by some people that Fisti Cage is mid/ upper mid tier, and he has much more problems to open up people than Tempest Lao. So or current Lao is underestimated, or Fisti is overestimated.
What does fisticuffs have to do with anything? Actually while we are on the comparison, Fisticuffs is like if Lao had good normals. Fisti by itself is probably low mid, definitely not bottom, but nothing special- just like Temp Lao.

ismael4790

What does fisticuffs have to do with anything? Actually while we are on the comparison, Fisticuffs is like if Lao had good normals. Fisti by itself is probably low mid, definitely not bottom, but nothing special- just like Temp Lao.
Well, it has to do that he also "can't really pressure you or open you up".