What's new

MKX Tier List Presented by YOMI (Rv1.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

D. R.

Noob
NRS patching out Kotal Kahn's sun ray tech in the corner has solidified him at bottom 5. Before this recent patch, I would argue he was just outside top 10, if not in it. Something has to be done about the character but idk what NRS has in store for him. I digress.

#BoneShaperMilitia

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
NRS patching out Kotal Kahn's sun ray tech in the corner has solidified him at bottom 5. Before this recent patch, I would argue he was just outside top 10, if not in it. Something has to be done about the character but idk what NRS has in store for him. I digress.

#BoneShaperMilitia
First good step is punching grab immunity in the nutsack

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
1.)Tanya -Kobu
2.) Kung Lao -temptest
3.) Raiden -thunder derp god
4.) D'Vorah -swarm queen
5.) Quan Chi -summoner
6.) Kenshi -Kenjustsu
7.) Cassie Cage-Hollywood?
8.) Shinnok-Boneshaper
9.) Jax-?
10.) Erron Black-?
11.) Sonya Blade-covert ops
12.) Kung Jin-bojutsu
13.) Ermac-Master of rushdown fools
14.) Sub-Zero-grandmaster
15.) Scorpion-hellfire?
16.) Kano-?
17.) Johnny Cage-?
18.) Liu Kang-Flamefist?
19.) Mileena-Ravenous?
20.) Kitana-Mournful?
21.) Reptile-?
22.) Ferra/Torr-?
23.) Jason-Slasher
24.) Kotal Kahn-War God
25.) Jacqui-Full auto
26.) Takeda-Shirai RYuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
27.) Goro-Who cares they all fucking suck.

@YOMI DJT can you fill in the ones with ?

I don't know which variations post patch you are giving the spots too for certain characters mainly due to my lack of knowledge about certain characters and the fact that some characters have variations that are close to each other. Like I don't know if Cutthroat is superior to cybernetic. This would help pretty much anyone who lacks knowledge about characters, and I'm a no lifer here and I still am not sure on all of them.

I'm really surprised to see especially Ferra/Torr so low, I feel like Ferra/Torr is just outside top tier. Lackey has the best command grab and best corner control game in MKX as well as among the best armored wakeups/antiairs, safest mixups and pressure tools, and easiest side switching in MKX. Like, some characters' neutral jump and even toward jump attacks can't actually hit a recovering max range lackey command grab whiff heh. Vicious also has some of the best command grab ticks, ranged attacks, safety in mixups and pressure, and counter-zoning. I don't really know what the character lacks that would put it so low, to be honest. I did a quick thread search to see if there were any reasons given and didn't find it, so, sorry if I missed something.

I think Kotal's placement is wrong just based on results if nothing else: at least one Kotal has made top 8 or 9th in almost every major so far. It's hard to argue that away I think.

I'd put Jason last. Honestly I was very surprised at how poorly people dealt with Forever King Jr's relentless Jason. Clearly none of his opponents had looked into how pursuit switches buttons. His overhead/low mixups are safe and tricky to see which is which, but they're both slow, not damaging, and kind of bad for his own positioning. I love that the armor lets him close out rounds better than almost anyone, but I still think it's bizarre that they made him fall asleep when it ends regardless of what's going on outside xray, even if he's in the startup of uncancelable moves, even if he's in the air after using a launching interactable. A lot of his buttons are slow and don't have great hitboxes. I feel like relentless Jason is basically about pressing b1 and hoping the opponent lets you do the rest. I think unstoppable is better but it too has kinda one dimensional mixups and mobility. Each of his variations has aspects of a good character but I don't think any of them puts it all together enough. Not that he's useless, I think even the bottom tier can compete tbh.

I actually switched away from Jason as a 2nd/3rd character to Goro because I feel Goro is a lot better, probably still low tier but a viable low tier. I don't think it's true that he needs to be in the corner. He has a fast, safe high/low game, good command grabs, great wakeups, good footsie buttons, good corner carry, good armor killers, etc. It's really hard to get him off of you once he starts. It's true that his weak antiair game hurts him, definitely can't disagree with that. I mean of course he can always armor out of jump attacks with ex stomp or, if the opponent is more in front, with ex punchwalk into damage/corner carry, but depending on armor sucks. And I think he gets blown up by some characters for sure, like I don't really know what to do against Tanya. But in general I think he can hang with a lot of the cast!

Anyway imo it'd be better to rank characters like this:

Can reasonably win majors mostly by themselves: everybody
Can reasonably get top 8 at majors mostly by themselves: Goro, Jason
Probably can't get top 8 at majors mostly by themselves: actually maybe Jason

Edit: Dohhhhh forgot which game I'm talking about on which forum, I mean... All my characters need to get buffed!!

Kotal: so unsafe, um, what else are his problems again, i mean, bottom tier for sure
Kano: how am I supposed to compete when cyber doesn't have an overhead and has such a low damage projectile and cutthroat's overhead has no range
Goro: ugh his punishes don't work as designed and his antiair is garbage please buff this unplayable mess ugh

Last edited:
Anyone who says Kotal is way too low coincidentally is in one or both of these situations

Plays bad competition
Gets away with murder

Let me know when your offline scene starts punishing those yolo oh/low swords you throw out.
Yolo overhead / low didn't prevent Ermac from being ranked that high. Same with scorpion and Cassie to a lesser degree

omooba

fear the moobs
1.) Tanya (most favorable match ups)​
2.) Kung Lao (no losing match ups, best anti air, best jump attacks, etc.)
3.) Raiden (best corner carry, best corner vortex, safe 50/50s, etc.)
4.) D'Vorah (top footsies, no hurtbox on stingers, etc.)
5.) Quan Chi (best mix ups, best come back factor)
6.) Kenshi (unbreakable damage, meter gain, favorable match ups, etc.)
7.) Cassie Cage (best punisher, top footsies, etc.)
8.) Shinnok
9.) Jax
10.) Erron Black
11.) Sonya Blade
12.) Kung Jin
13.) Ermac
14.) Sub-Zero
15.) Scorpion
16.) Kano
17.) Johnny Cage
18.) Liu Kang
19.) Mileena
20.) Kitana
21.) Reptile
22.) Ferra/Torr
23.) Jason
24.) Kotal Kahn
25.) Jacqui
26.) Takeda
27.) Goro

Discuss.

View attachment 10405
NO NO HEEEEELLLL NO. WTF why is everyone agreeing with this like HELL NO. quanchi? wtf JAQCUI BOTTOM THREE? mileena below liu kang and johnny? sub zero below ermac and kung jin? ok that last part is debateable but honestly this tier list has tooooo many problems

omooba

fear the moobs
@ZeZe

I'm assuming all variations are combined for one rating, so Unbreakable and Cryomancer hold him back. Grandmaster is obviously higher than that position. Same deal with Liu Kang at 18, considering his Flame Fist variation.
flame fist sin't his best variation imo

I'm really surprised to see especially Ferra/Torr so low, I feel like Ferra/Torr is just outside top tier. Lackey has the best command grab and best corner control game in MKX as well as among the best armored wakeups/antiairs, safest mixups and pressure tools, and easiest side switching in MKX. Like, some characters' neutral jump and even toward jump attacks can't actually hit a recovering max range lackey command grab whiff heh. Vicious also has some of the best command grab ticks, ranged attacks, safety in mixups and pressure, and counter-zoning. I don't really know what the character lacks that would put it so low, to be honest. I did a quick thread search to see if there were any reasons given and didn't find it, so, sorry if I missed something.

I think Kotal's placement is wrong just based on results if nothing else: at least one Kotal has made top 8 or 9th in almost every major so far. It's hard to argue that away I think.

I'd put Jason last. Honestly I was very surprised at how poorly people dealt with Forever King Jr's relentless Jason. Clearly none of his opponents had looked into how pursuit switches buttons. His overhead/low mixups are safe and tricky to see which is which, but they're both slow, not damaging, and kind of bad for his own positioning. I love that the armor lets him close out rounds better than almost anyone, but I still think it's bizarre that they made him fall asleep when it ends regardless of what's going on outside xray, even if he's in the startup of uncancelable moves, even if he's in the air after using a launching interactable. A lot of his buttons are slow and don't have great hitboxes. I feel like relentless Jason is basically about pressing b1 and hoping the opponent lets you do the rest. I think unstoppable is better but it too has kinda one dimensional mixups and mobility. Each of his variations has aspects of a good character but I don't think any of them puts it all together enough. Not that he's useless, I think even the bottom tier can compete tbh.

I actually switched away from Jason as a 2nd/3rd character to Goro because I feel Goro is a lot better, probably still low tier but a viable low tier. I don't think it's true that he needs to be in the corner. He has a fast, safe high/low game, good command grabs, great wakeups, good footsie buttons, good corner carry, good armor killers, etc. It's really hard to get him off of you once he starts. It's true that his weak antiair game hurts him, definitely can't disagree with that. I mean of course he can always armor out of jump attacks with ex stomp or, if the opponent is more in front, with ex punchwalk into damage/corner carry, but depending on armor sucks. And I think he gets blown up by some characters for sure, like I don't really know what to do against Tanya. But in general I think he can hang with a lot of the cast!

Anyway imo it'd be better to rank characters like this:

Can reasonably win majors mostly by themselves: everybody
Can reasonably get top 8 at majors mostly by themselves: Goro, Jason
Probably can't get top 8 at majors mostly by themselves: actually maybe Jason

Edit: Dohhhhh forgot which game I'm talking about on which forum, I mean... All my characters need to get buffed!!

Kotal: so unsafe, um, what else are his problems again, i mean, bottom tier for sure
Kano: how am I supposed to compete when cyber doesn't have an overhead and has such a low damage projectile and cutthroat's overhead has no range
Goro: ugh his punishes don't work as designed and his antiair is garbage please buff this unplayable mess ugh
it'd be interesting if pursuit was more relevant, and i might agree on jason. From playing against a zatanna in injustice, it got to the point where i learned how to block and evade very well in reverse inputs and sometimes i blocked stuff in between when the reverse inputs is on and switches off. It's an interesting talking point and you would think at the highest level that it'd actually be not that great cept for the button switch

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Don't feel like reading through, but why is Takeda considered so bad?
His pokes and normals are joke. He has two "joker" variations. Damage of "white well" is pretty good but to me, still not enough because his meterless damage combo is so weak and hard to pull of. A match against takeda is like this: he uses some of his slow long range normals (and njp) to hit people, get a small life and meter advantage, then 10s later everyone gets in his face, he loses all of his meter for either armor or breaker and loses the round
Edit: he doesn't have mixup, all of his overhead and low options are so slow that everyone can block on reaction
To compare, low tier characters like Kitana and Mileena can pull off 40% meterless combo, have better pokes and their armor launchers are very dangerous

CRUM

Noob
His pokes and normals are joke. He has two "joker" variations. Damage of "white well" is pretty good but to me, still not enough because his meterless damage combo is so weak and hard to pull of. A match against takeda is like this: he uses some of his slow long range normals (and njp) to hit people, get a small life and meter advantage, then 10s later everyone gets in his face, he loses all of his meter for either armor or breaker and loses the round
Edit: he doesn't have mixup, all of his overhead and low options are so slow that everyone can block on reaction
To compare, low tier characters like Kitana and Mileena can pull off 40% meterless combo, have better pokes and their armor launchers are very dangerous
Maybe it's just a personal gripe, but I get wrecked by a lot of Takeda's no matter how bad they are. Maybe it's the online factor mixed with my lack of MU knowledge.

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Maybe it's just a personal gripe, but I get wrecked by a lot of Takeda's no matter how bad they are. Maybe it's the online factor mixed with my lack of MU knowledge.
I play offline with my friends, one of them has a very good takeda. But he wasn't happy at all about his character and decided to pick Jax & Subzero as secondary characters. After the "Kitana patch" he seemed to be jealous (I main Kitana)
The post i wrote above is my personal experience against Takeda. I don't play him but I did research seriously about his frame data (and I did "wtf lol" a lot when scrolling through his movelist)

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
1.) Tanya (most favorable match ups)​
2.) Kung Lao (no losing match ups, best anti air, best jump attacks, etc.)
3.) Raiden (best corner carry, best corner vortex, safe 50/50s, etc.)
4.) D'Vorah (top footsies, no hurtbox on stingers, etc.)
5.) Quan Chi (best mix ups, best come back factor)
6.) Kenshi (unbreakable damage, meter gain, favorable match ups, etc.)
7.) Cassie Cage (best punisher, top footsies, etc.)
8.) Shinnok
9.) Jax
10.) Erron Black
11.) Sonya Blade
12.) Kung Jin
13.) Ermac
14.) Sub-Zero
15.) Scorpion
16.) Kano
17.) Johnny Cage
18.) Liu Kang
19.) Mileena
20.) Kitana
21.) Reptile
22.) Ferra/Torr
23.) Jason
24.) Kotal Kahn
25.) Jacqui
26.) Takeda
27.) Goro

Discuss.

View attachment 10405
this should be updated, asap.... we know she and lao dropped a few from the patch

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
I couldn't disagree more on Erron Black and Kung Jin.

Considering that Erron Black has been consistently nerfed since the first patch, I'm not surprised to see him descend down the list.
None of his nerfs really hurt the character that much. None of them. While NRS refuse to do something about 21122, nothing will hurt Black much lol.

Good list.

Does Ermac not have a comeback factor and mixups equal to Quan though?
No character in the game has.

@UltraDavid

Haha I like that edit. You know the NRS community so well MOAR BUFFZZZ!

When all is said and done and nrs stops support after 6 months a sleeper is gonna be top tier broken an shit because no one discovered a certain tech and people just bitched and complained about Tanya etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.