What's new

MKX Kombat Pack 2 Trailer & Discussion Thread

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I don't have the Brazil/KW skins for a reason: I don't want them. Also, they're not free and really you only save like $2 ($7 if you're one of five people who doesn't have Goro) thanks to the KP2 bundle.

There's only three skin packs. The fourth item (KW Scorpion) is literally a FREE skin for EVERYONE that is laughably being toted as more kontent for KP2. They could have just thrown in a Xanadu pack ffs and it would have been less insulting.
Nobody is forcing you to buy it though, I'm more insulted Fujin didn't make the cut as I'm sure more are annoyed he's been linked for two games now where he was highly demanded for dlc.... as oppose to them adding in dlc that some people are assuming are already bought by everyone.

Which is an assumption that simply can't be proven, sure most have goro, but not necessarily the other skin packs and we are getting the apocalypse pack with kp2 and the pit is free dl I'm hearing.

Most on here tym may have everything but we don't rep the other 4 million consumers let's be honest and fair here.

Last edited:

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Oh god. If these characters release with broken moves . . . I just don't know man.

Why don't you get a Jason-esqe feel from Leatherface. I see heavy swinging movements and EX moves for bloody canned animations to fit in some reference or whatever. Fast/lunging horizontal moves. Looking to have simple pop up combos.
I think the temptation to lump the two characters together simply because they're horror movie icons is great.

"Fast/lunging horizontal moves" can describe a lot of characters, and is about as generic of a description as you can get.

If you even took a cursory look a the two characters' Wikipedia pages, you'd see that their backgrounds are very different from one another.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Anyone else see the part where Bo did what looked like his low starter into a command grab? Could this be tick throws on hit a la vicious f/t? Possibly a non-throw command grab like gotcha grab? A string with the 1+3 input? Interesting stuff
I feel like that was just low kick input like a B3 into a regular grab. The way he reached and then kicked him full screen makes me feel like it was just a grab.

The more I watch this trailer, the more you can tell they put A LOT of work into triborg.

I feel out these 4, Alien and Triborg will feel the most complete. While leatherface and Bo will probably have 1 decent variation each.
It may be the hype but I can see Bo having 2 useful variations. Especially if the staff/cane gives him better hitboxes and other properties. Cause LBSH, if Bo can drink mid match that's automatically the variation to use no matter what. Leatherface is just a dud of a character.

If anything what's shady would be those companies like ohh Capcom? Who charge for a bunch of on disc shit as DLC...now that's shady.
Don't want to derail the thread (like that could happen with 2/100 people commenting.) But Capcom's on disc DLC of characters is no different than the 4 characters we got in MKx KP1. All that shit is premeditated. It's just instead of downloading compatibility packs and character data. It's already there. Capcom did fuck up in how they handled it though.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I think the temptation to lump the two characters together simply because they're horror movie icons is great.

"Fast/lunging horizontal moves" can describe a lot of characters, and is about as generic of a description as you can get.

If you even took a cursory look a the two characters' Wikipedia pages, you'd see that their backgrounds are very different from one another.
Yeah the description of his moves wasn't the best. But I meant that they seemed very similar from the glimpses we got. Some simple heavy looking swings that look like easy combos. And his ex moves granting extra bloody canned animations. Just looked. I typed that too. Looking at Bo rai Cho's "fast horizontal moves" I get a different feel then Leatherface. Leatherface just has that hulking bad guy swinging a sharp thing feel that Jason already gave me. Which was my point.

Their backgrounds have very little to do with the game as they are guests in a MK game.

MKF30

I feel like that was just low kick input like a B3 into a regular grab. The way he reached and then kicked him full screen makes me feel like it was just a grab.

It may be the hype but I can see Bo having 2 useful variations. Especially if the staff/cane gives him better hitboxes and other properties. Cause LBSH, if Bo can drink mid match that's automatically the variation to use no matter what. Leatherface is just a dud of a character.

Don't want to derail the thread (like that could happen with 2/100 people commenting.) But Capcom's on disc DLC of characters is no different than the 4 characters we got in MKx KP1. All that shit is premeditated. It's just instead of downloading compatibility packs and character data. It's already there. Capcom did fuck up in how they handled it though.
The difference is though nrs didn't have everything on disc characters from the start, all the dlc and extra costume packs etc, the alternates were unlockable and others free via mobile unlocks(goro was technically free if you pre ordered which not everyone did but that's not nrs fault) Capcom however its been proven for a while they charged extra cash for on disc data, dlc characters, costumes etc

Not saying nrs is perfect but everyone knows Capcom has a bad rep for that. Then theres the asura stuff lol but as you said I also dont want to derail it with all that.

I'm not worried about the extra stuff since I keep hearing we'll have a choice to buy everything separately anyway.

Rude

Yeah the description of his moves wasn't the best. But I meant that they seemed very similar from the glimpses we got. Some simple heavy looking swings that look like easy combos. And his ex moves granting extra bloody canned animations. Just looked. I typed that too. Looking at Bo rai Cho's "fast horizontal moves" I get a different feel then Leatherface. Leatherface just has that hulking bad guy swinging a sharp thing feel that Jason already gave me. Which was my point.

Their backgrounds have very little to do with the game as they are guests in a MK game.
I think you're drawing a lot of conclusions on less than a minute of gameplay.

Again - your description isn't great. Based on that, we could say that all of War God's animations are "bloody canned" and generic as they're quite similar to Slasher Jason.

What do you expect to happen when a character hits another with a bladed weapon? How many different blood spurt animations are there?

Also, their backgrounds DO matter to the players that like the character.

Look - I get it. He's not an MK character and he's a horror antagonist, so it's easy to make a broad, sweeping generalization based on not even thirty seconds of gameplay.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I think you're drawing a lot of conclusions on less than a minute of gameplay.

Again - your description isn't great. Based on that, we could say that all of War God's animations are "bloody canned" and generic as they're quite similar to Slasher Jason.

What do you expect to happen when a character hits another with a bladed weapon? How many different blood spurt animations are there?

Also, their backgrounds DO matter to the players that like the character.

Look - I get it. He's not an MK character and he's a horror antagonist, so it's easy to make a broad, sweeping generalization based on not even thirty seconds of gameplay.
I thought Jason had some Kotal likeness too. Especially slasher's projectile.

Characters can wield weapons and feel different. Slasher Jason still has some stuff that differentiates him from Kotal in that he actually uses the weapon in strings. Tayna's bladed weapons give off a different feel than both Kotal and Jason. But I get a Ryu/Ken vibe from Jason/Leatherface. I'm sure Leatherface will have gameplay differences and similarities. I never said this video is proof that he IS just another Jason. All I said was how I felt about the footage we were given. I asked the other guy about his opinion because I was interested in what he felt made him not look like Jason. He had a different opinion and I was interested in it.

I'm not talking about backgrounds though. I was talking about how his moves looked from the footage. Their backgrounds aren't going to change their moves. That's what I meant. Not "Character lore doesn't matter". I like character lore when I'm interested in a series.

No need to project meaning behind my actions. If they showed something else besides the ex canned animation and the slice and pull animation maybe I would say he gave me a different feel. It's got nothing to do with me not liking his inclusion. It's got nothing to do with who he is. It's what I was shown and my reaction to it.

If you think Leatherface showed footage that made him seem different than Jason, I'd ask you to tell me whatever it was.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
look. i don't want to focus on the negative so i'm happy for those that are big Alien fans and even Leatherface and people that are fart on your face character fans and fans of the cyborgs that get that character(s) so with that said..can they release all of them and the kombat pack right now and the komplete edition once they make their money on the dlc and get busy on a mortal kombat sequel ASAP. i mean i'd even settle for an ultimate mkx that throws everybody else from the previous game not included and just show an alternate story mode and maybe cut out a variation and only give them two. or whatever they have to do.

Rude

I thought Jason had some Kotal likeness too. Especially slasher's projectile.

Characters can wield weapons and feel different. Slasher Jason still has some stuff that differentiates him from Kotal in that he actually uses the weapon in strings. Tayna's bladed weapons give off a different feel than both Kotal and Jason. But I get a Ryu/Ken vibe from Jason/Leatherface. I'm sure Leatherface will have gameplay differences and similarities. I never said this video is proof that he IS just another Jason. All I said was how I felt about the footage we were given. I asked the other guy about his opinion because I was interested in what he felt made him not look like Jason. He had a different opinion and I was interested in it.

I'm not talking about backgrounds though. I was talking about how his moves looked from the footage. Their backgrounds aren't going to change their moves. That's what I meant. Not "Character lore doesn't matter". I like character lore when I'm interested in a series.

No need to project meaning behind my actions. If they showed something else besides the ex canned animation and the slice and pull animation maybe I would say he gave me a different feel. It's got nothing to do with me not liking his inclusion. It's got nothing to do with who he is. It's what I was shown and my reaction to it.

If you think Leatherface showed footage that made him seem different than Jason, I'd ask you to tell me whatever it was.

I'm not sure I understand this "bloody canned animation" talk. I'm pretty sure that blood spurt animations between Kotal, Leatherface, and Jason aren't the same and even if they are - I have to ask- How many blood spurt animations do you want? I would argue that the blood spurt animation from Kotal's overhead strike -as in the animation of blood leaving the body - is fairly similar to any Slasher attack.

One thing that stood out to me was a spinning attack Leatherface did which was very much reminiscent of the "Chainsaw Dance" and nothing like any animation Jason has to offer.

He also appears to be a bit quicker and may potentially have more than one weapon variation (given that he also uses hammer attacks), where as Jason only has the one.

Those are just off the top of my head.

MKF30

@crimson-neoviper true, dont forget they'll probably be doing injustice 2 next lol. Nrs is busy, I do hope they at some point make an official horror fighter or tmnt fighter. I wish lol

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I'm not sure I understand this "bloody canned animation" talk. I'm pretty sure that blood spurt animations between Kotal, Leatherface, and Jason aren't the same and even if they are - I have to ask- How many blood spurt animations do you want? I would argue that the blood spurt animation from Kotal's overhead strike -as in the animation of blood leaving the body - is fairly similar to any Slasher attack.

One thing that stood out to me was a spinning attack Leatherface did which was very much reminiscent of the "Chainsaw Dance" and nothing like any animation Jason has to offer.

He also appears to be a bit quicker and may potentially have more than one weapon variation (given that he also uses hammer attacks), where as Jason only has the one.

Those are just off the top of my head.
I'm not comparing the animations but the way the move works. Jason has moves that give a more brutal animation on EX. Like his dash punch for example. I saw the same thing with Leatherface's Ex chainsaw gut stab. Or Tanya's EX Flip where she steps on you after. But that feels different than a big dude stabbing me a lot. That's what I meant. Not just the fact it is a canned animation but the whole effect. It's not that I want the animations. I want to feel different about them. Which may be hard when designing both Leatherface and Jason "truthfully" but then for that's just an inherent con in designing both of them.

The spinning chainsaw thing is a bit different. As for him using more than one weapon. That won't matter too much to me if he still does big massive swings with it. Like he seems to do with the chainsaw and Jason does with the Machete. But I can see where just having 2 weapon variations could be different enough for you.

Upon a second look, his mallet swings seem to be quick more contained strikes. And it looks like Leatherface mains will get chainsaw attacks throughout all variations.

Hexin_Wishes

Likes nerds with big ...
Nobody is forcing you to buy it though, I'm more insulted Fujin didn't make the cut as I'm sure more are annoyed he's been linked for two games now where he was highly demanded for dlc.... as oppose to them adding in dlc that some people are assuming are already bought by everyone.

Which is an assumption that simply can't be proven, sure most have goro, but not necessarily the other skin packs and we are getting the apocalypse pack with kp2 and the pit is free dl I'm hearing.

Most on here tym may have everything but we don't rep the other 4 million consumers let's be honest and fair here.
You're right about people not having to buy it and I have told people that they don't need to spend $30 on it because you can just get the characters and it'll be less. In saying that, as a Pack, it is poor in comparison to the first one.

I didn't say everyone had them because I don't have those awful skin packs but the fact is that everything but the four characters and Apcalypse pack is readily available. What they're doing is compiling it for not much of a deal in order to maximize profit. It's a new business model that I don't agree with because whose to say they won't do it again? Release separate skins and then include them on the next pack?

If Boon keeps his word this time, that means the skin packs for the new characters will come separately. I know I will be holding off on buying them until MKX is officially over because $2 is better than nothing lol.

Also, I'd refrain from mentioning the Pit since there's no real confirmation that it's free and it shouldn't even be considered yet.

P.S. Isn't Goro technically on-disc DLC? I mean, unlike Tanya, isn't he practically the same character in the ladder as he is playable in game.

kantboy-2

Ripper
Goro was a day 1 paywall character. A crappy practice and the reason I did not buy him.

Preorders only benefit publishers. If a game is good, it'll get good reviews and people will buy it.

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!
Goro was a day 1 paywall character. A crappy practice and the reason I did not buy him.

Preorders only benefit publishers. If a game is good, it'll get good reviews and people will buy it.
Goro is a great character! If you don't have him and understand him then it is your loss!

trufenix

bye felicia
nrs still got it.

This fanbase never disappoints.

Wonder why they picked outworld marketplace instead of Lin Kuei fortress.

kantboy-2

Ripper
Goro is a great character! If you don't have him and understand him then it is your loss!
I understand he's a fun character. I love big brawlers like Goro but I'm not preordering a game for fear of being punished with lack of content. With KP2, it'll get rectified. No worries. ;)

trufenix

bye felicia
can't wait for the TriBorg threads were someone posts some new tech for one of them and someone comes by and tells them not to bother learning it because the other variation is better.

MKF30

You're right about people not having to buy it and I have told people that they don't need to spend $30 on it because you can just get the characters and it'll be less. In saying that, as a Pack, it is poor in comparison to the first one.

I didn't say everyone had them because I don't have those awful skin packs but the fact is that everything but the four characters and Apcalypse pack is readily available. What they're doing is compiling it for not much of a deal in order to maximize profit. It's a new business model that I don't agree with because whose to say they won't do it again? Release separate skins and then include them on the next pack?

If Boon keeps his word this time, that means the skin packs for the new characters will come separately. I know I will be holding off on buying them until MKX is officially over because $2 is better than nothing lol.

Also, I'd refrain from mentioning the Pit since there's no real confirmation that it's free and it shouldn't even be considered yet.

P.S. Isn't Goro technically on-disc DLC? I mean, unlike Tanya, isn't he practically the same character in the ladder as he is playable in game.
I'm pretty sure from what I'm hearing the pits free or will be. I'll be surprised if its not.

Goro isnt on the disc, Tyler confirmed that none of the dlc is on it in one of the streams. He was also telling people what I'm always telling them, the ones who complained about goro, he was free if you preordered. Not sure why people didn't take advantage of that but that's another story...

On the packs, well there will most likely be a separate purchase option. I actually feel you're getting a good deal in kp2 because youre getting more then kp1. Namely for those like @blinky on here who said he hadnt got goro or any of the skin packs yet. So with extras I'll respectfully disagree with you on that one.

The business standpoint they all do it, it's annoying sure but honestly nothing is free when it comes to solid, extra and new doc. But nrs has given us free stuff here and there, costumes, fatalities, unlockable characters, finishers etc.

Now I wont say nrs are 'perfect' nobody is but compared to their competition I think nrs treats their fan base pretty damn good.

They still have to nake games, improvements etc it's their job. Now prices they can decide but WB tells them what to charge and not at end of the day. Both WB and nrs want to make a profit. Wouldn't you? Lol besides one thing others have mentioned which I really agree with is tri Borg=essentially 3 characters in one....in a way 7 characters, two skin packs and a free stage for 30 bucks, well worth it imo.

kantboy-2

Ripper
If there's one character that could make it's own community attack each other without remorse and creation of a thousand "buff/nerf" variation threads, it's Triborg. ;)