What's new

MK9: Question 4 this community!

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
A patch would help, but it wouldn't really solve the big issues. They have said on multiple occasions that stuff like the input bug, meter drain, wonky corners, P1 advantage are all deeply rooted into the engine and they can't patch it out.

They would need a UMK9 to fix that shit, and they won't do that, for multiple reasons. Mostly man power, why waste time, effort, and staff working on an updated game that won't sell anywhere near as much as a brand new title? There is also reputation to consider, well it's awesome that Capcom releases and updated version of their game every year, and I love them for it, it has hurt their rep pretty bad with the casual audience. Just look at any non fighting game forum, or fucking even on TYM, people always crack jokes about Super Awesome Special Edition Street Fighter 4 2034, and look down on Capcom for rehashing the same game over and over.

It sucks, but that's how it is.

zaf

professor
FCP/EMP SCAR

I feel like people like to use glitches and bugs as a crutch. There are a lot of people who were just not good at the game or just sat on tym instead of trying to learn match ups. I'm sorry but sitting in ranked is not going to make you a better player. They use this as a reason why they don't play instead of just getting better. the bugs and glitches can be annoying but I've had them happen to be very rarely that they never effect my gameplay.

Also about this whole debacle over balance. Sure kabal and kenshi can run train but that is on like the low tiers of the game. This game definitely has at least 15-20 viable characters.
I can say I do not care about these 2 characters. Bring them on. I prefer to play people over and over and get those 1000 matches in to perfect and really learn a match up. Sure people may think I am an ermac up player. I don't care. I have put time into the character and have developed ways to make all his bad match a lot easier. I just play the game and don't make excuses. I use what was given to me and just shut up and play. Too many whiney kids these days that don't even TRAVEL. The majority of the complainers of this game are forum lurkers/couch potatoes.

Hemlock

Noob
I love MK but I haven't played it and I haven't gotten an XBLA subscription, despite saying I would. I need to commit!

I hereby pledge to be playing MK online by a week's time!

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
I am seriously considering going all in on learning modding to try solve the MK modding mystery. But I really would like some evidence that it would make a difference if I were able to crack it (I know a lot of ppl with tons of experience have been going at it with no luck so far, but I guess I think too much of myself).
It is going to take a crazy lot of time and effort, I don't want it to be for nothing.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
You could restart things through sheer community will as Shock/Phil/others did with classic MK. But you would have to deal with the reality that comes with having outside parties no longer hold your hand. Which means:

1) Side tournaments. When you're no longer a main game, you have to fight for space and permission to hold side tournaments for your game. And that means:

2) You have to provide tour own setups/equipment, bandwidth/streams (so 4g in a lot of cases, which someone has to pay for), and fix your own problems. Most of the people that were major contributors in this area for MK have been chased away by people who were never satisfied and would bite heads off when any little thing went wrong.

3) Low entrants. So you'd have to be comfortable with 25-35 man tourneys. Or less. And that means:

4) No prize money. Or not much of it. Without cushy pot bonuses or significant numbers of entrants to drive the pot, you'd be playing for a couple weeks of lunch money.

If people had trouble getting along when things were good, would they be able to cooperate and work together in a situation like this?

It gives you respect for guys like Shock and 9.95 who soldiered through to make things happen when no one else cared about their games. But I feel like there was a different (and more selfless) kind of community spirit behind it too. People didn't have as much, so they were more grateful for whatever they could get.

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
honestly, I don't have 100% faith that a patch would fix everything. I mean, yeah, it would give MK9 a huge bump but for how long? let's say Kabal and Kenshi get toned down, and Smoke and Cyrax's resets get patched out. awesome, but who is to say a few months after that people wouldn't just go right back to bitching, and still asking for things to be changed? If we all miss Mk that much, just play it. don't play it to try and make money, don't worry about top tiers, or bullshit bugs, or whatever, because I don't think they're ever going to be fixed. just play it because you love it. online sucks but just play people from TYM. if we just play, mk will come back. will it be 100% exactly the way we want? no, but at least it'll be better then nothing though.
Just thought I would mention that I may be starting casuals at my place again. just moved so need some time to get things in order first but I will let you know what's up

Death

Noob
Scar are you still playing online? If so let's run games. I never dropped it and still playing all the time with curbo.

Mothmonsterman0

Mortal Kombat is NOT dead.
Just thought I would mention that I may be starting casuals at my place again. just moved so need some time to get things in order first but I will let you know what's up
dude, fuck yes. The only reason I'm not playing mk is because I don't wanna go online lol

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
I love MK but I haven't played it and I haven't gotten an XBLA subscription, despite saying I would. I need to commit!

I hereby pledge to be playing MK online by a week's time!
Damn it Hem!@

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
I didn't read every response, but my answer is the same as Rude 's.

What would it take to bring the game back? How about if people start fucking playing it for starters. Zaf is absolutely right. Stop blaming the god damn problems the game has. We're stuck with it, and whining about it isn't going to change things now.

*insert comment about umk9 with fixed issues and 'rebalancing' of the game so another character can take kabal's place* here. I'm not trying to rag anyone, but we've heard this crap a million times. We need to play the game, and since no one supports it what good is it if only a handful of people play? I was really disappointed with both attempts to get an mk tournament going in my area. Side game that no one signed up for and then GGA Han and Wafflez come all the way out to my area and no one is interested. We were the only 3 who played mk that day.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
If MK9 got a new patch today or tomorrow this site would go apeshit. All we want is a damn update.Its a dam shame we gotta try to find a way to do it ourselves.But idk I'm kinda starting to see the light when it comes to nrs and their lack of support for their games after they've taken our money.They already got two strikes on them.If they do the same for MK10 I'm done.
What do you mean, you're done?
Do you realize how entitled that sounds? NRS doesn't have to patch the game at all after its release. If this were a game made by EA, it wouldn't.
So what if they don't release yearly patches?

Could it be because they can't make those kinds of decisions? Or that they're working on other projects.

You're the man, Slim, but this makes no sense to me.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Edit: Off topic post

Well this just occurred to me. Capcom is somehow making other titles alongside updates to SFIV ya? NRS has been doing one game at a time and not really keeping the formula the same in any one game. SF and MK are both established IPs but the main difference is consistency.

NRS keeps reinventing the wheel (I would say arguably so, because as far as I'm concerned MK9 is the only recent game they've gotten 'right') with every game. SF has not changed that much since 2. Characters retain special moves and most of their normals/strings. In MK they're always changing from game to game. SF is established, MK they never let the foundation settle. I'm wondering if it might change for MK10 coming off the success of MK9. (call it what you want, MK9 was a step in the right direction imo)

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
if MK was still featured as regularly sure id travel tons to play it, right now though the only hope i have is SCR because EGP always hypes up MK and I know itll be the most hype one in months. Injustice is fun but just not worth the money to travel to watch men in undies throw tv monitors at each other

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I miss it. I miss it really bad.

There is no reason on earth there can't be an Ultimate made. none.
If there's been 2 Marvel 3's and like 4 or 5 SF4's, I don't understand why it hasn't happened, especially if anything new is going to be brewing for the next-gen systems that would be greatly helped by some reinvigoration and promotion of the title.
It'd be the best thing that could possibly happen to this community in the fucked up state that its in, and if the game was really improved upon glitch and gameplay wise, it could be even better for the FGC as a whole.

JacopeX

Playing: Injustice, Persona, Blazblue, and MK
Am I the only one that cringes whenever someone still believes in a UMK9? Or even the fact that someone takes that shit seriously?

Lulzlou

Noob
Am I the only one that cringes whenever someone still believes in a UMK9? Or even the fact that someone takes that shit seriously?
It doesn't matter what they believe. All it does is bring people to talk about MK. If everyone completely stopped talking about it then the game will finally die. At least this makes the game somewhat relevant.

Matix218

Get over here!
Beating top kabals actually added hype to mk9 imo. Example tom beating a few high level kabals with sub in tournament, 16bit taking out reo twice in tournament, djt taking out top kabal after top kabal at evo to eventually beat reo (the best kabal) in gf. Even wound cowboy sending reo to losers in pools at evo shang vs kabal. To me it just added hype to tournament matches. And don't say that's just because I never got kaballed at a tournament because I did last year at nec. I lost to soonks kabal in winners only to win three in a row in losers and face soonks kabal again (which eliminated me). Yes I know kabal was a daunting task to defeat but it made it that much more hype when it actually did happen and mk9s final evo is a prime example of this