What's new

MK9: Question 4 this community!

I have a question to all of you, all those who were here from the very beginning and supported MK9 since it's day 1 release, and all those who have fell in love with the game towards the end or after its lifespan...Can we the community bring back a game, that we let die in the public eye?

If so...what would we have to do to breathe life and the passion back into MK9 and how do we show the world that our communities love and burning desire, and competitive nature 4 this game still shines bright? I already know showing up 4 tournaments is a given. But I know there has to be some kind of big incentive to really get ppl out to support the game.

Where did the love go? Where did the passion 4 getting together and meeting up with fellow supporters of the game go? Did the game die because we saw MLG as our main stage for MK recognition and so when MK esports died, practically a majority of the community died with it?

I miss the last 2 years, as it was the most fun I've had playing any game ever, and too be honest MK9 kept this community closer, and since we let it die, we all have grown far apart. There is no feeling like being in 1 room with big names such as, pig, R.E.O., CD brothers, Tyrant, Terry Brothers, and others just showing off the skill of our respective characters, and holding hype MM all in love 4 the game and our competitive nature, streaming it 4 those who support us.

I often find myself looking back on all the stored videos this community have made over the last few years...The big tournament matches, the blow ups, drama, MMs, it truely showed for 1 or 2 nights, this community could actually Co exist with one another, but forum wise it's a whole different story it seems...

Hell we supported the game so much that we even paid for our foreign comrades to come down and compete with the best of us...What happened? Why did it all stop, these questions I ask because it really bothers me, I know the passion 4 the game still burns in all of us, and your a damn lie to yourself if u say it's not.

So again I ask, how do we go about getting "That old thing back" Do we just pretend like this game doesn't have anymore life in it? Because me personally I believe it still does, DJT's match vs REO in grand finals at EVO opened my eyes to realizing that there is still work to be done in MK, and potential to be had with characters not yet tapped intothe limit of their abilities...

Do we just say fk it because no tournament, is putting money up 4 it? Or do we the community say "Hey this upcoming tournament is gonna be big, and I want my game revived, so I'll donate money little by little ahead of time, to get this game back in the public eye, and players with the same passion 4 the game as I back on the playing field"
But honestly I don't know where to start, but I do commend ppl like game blake still willing to stream the game even when our community gave up on the game after Evo completely 4 no reason all because we decided we were gonna whipe our hands clean of a game game that brought us so much hype, just to support a game that brought us false hope...i say we get back to the game and franchise that made this community and built this forum..

Me personally I know if I had an opportunity to travel 4 MK I would to compete...even if it's just to support the game...injustice is more so in the spotlight right now. Why not keep the one that started it all in the spotlight with it??? Is that so hard 4 this community to do? Is it so hard to suggest these things to tournament holders, even if it's just a GF match on screen or top 8? Hell atleast it's a start....BRING MK BACK DAMNIT! :( DAMN U ALL! DAMN U ALL TO HELL!

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I've played MK9 from day one. I'm an online guy so clearly my opinion means nothing, BUT...

I tried very hard to get people in my area to play. No one liked it. No one liked the look, the graphics, the movement, the combo system, no one wanted to try it.

Add that with bad online and well...I'm sure a lot of us filthy casuals have similar stories.

Same here. I have nobody in my area to play offline with either. People can talk as much as they want about online players, but at least we're still playing it to this day while others have dropped it. Offline players don't know how lucky they are.
I am fortunate enough to have an offline scene full of guys who haven't touched the game in months but are still very efficient in the game via muscle memory, I know KH is always down should there ever be an up rise in competitiveness in MK again.

Shadow316

You inspire no fear.
I am fortunate enough to have an offline scene full of guys who haven't touched the game in months but are still very efficient in the game via muscle memory, I know KH is always down should there ever be an up rise in competitiveness in MK again.
What if the respective 'groups' just started playing/streaming the game again? KH/VSM/GGA etc etc. Maybe seeing stream views would motivate TO's etc to bring MK back.
I'm not sure on the percentage of old MK players that have no interest in it anymore and just focus solely on Injustice, and wouldn't return to it given the chance. MK10 is a way off and I believe MK9 still had some life.

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
I know where you are coming from, I myself am having a very hard time letting MK9 go. Its my favorite game of all time and I miss it. Unfortunately it seems to me a lot of the top players/people who travel to play have more to lose than to gain at this point. They have made their name and are cemented as the best players of that game. There's obviously no money in it and losing would just hurt their legacy.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
For one (as far as tourny players go, but this is just speculation, as I can't really speak on their behalf) it's the fact that putting time into a game that can barely find a tourny at this point is futile, and takes away from their training in Injustice which can be found at every major tourny for right now. And coming from me personally, I dunno... I feel like after 2-3 years everyone started to basically play the MU's the same.

If I went up against a Sub-Zero I knew I'd have to zone him until the end of time, Kabal would throw a million gas blasts and pressure me if I got close, Sonya would d4 into oblivion, etc. It simply got stale for me, no matter who I played. That being said, I think Capcom is smart here. Periodically releasing patched titles which shake up the roster keeps things fresh for players, and MK needs something like that to keep interest.

I suppose you could argue that games like 3S and UMK3 are still played competitively, but that's a very niche group. Also, with today's technological advancements, people in general demand more from developers. When developers stop supporting their game it directly influences the community, and that's sad, because while not perfect (as no game is) MK still had a lot of potential before it died.

this again?

community pc patch maybe. probably not.
A PC patch simply won't do, we just have to accept the game is not gonna get another patch...unless some miracle happens..

What if the respective 'groups' just started playing/streaming the game again? KH/VSM/GGA etc etc. Maybe seeing stream views would motivate TO's etc to bring MK back.
I'm not sure on the percentage of old MK players that have no interest in it anymore and just focus solely on Injustice, and wouldn't return to it given the chance. MK10 is a way off and I believe MK9 still had some life.
This could work, we still have MK vets attending tournaments, I believe a little stream time could show signs of life.

For one (as far as tourny players go, but this is just speculation, as I can't really speak on their behalf) it's the fact that putting time into a game that can barely find a tourny at this point is futile, and takes away from their training in Injustice which can be found at every major tourny for right now. And coming from me personally, I dunno... I feel like after 2-3 years everyone started to basically play the MU's the same.

If I went up against a Sub-Zero I knew I'd have to zone him until the end of time, Kabal would throw a million gas blasts and pressure me if I got close, Sonya would d4 into oblivion, etc. It simply got stale for me, no matter who I played. That being said, I think Capcom is smart here. Periodically releasing patched titles which shake up the roster keeps things fresh for players, and MK needs something like that to keep interest.

I suppose you could argue that games like 3S and UMK3 are still played competitively, but that's a very niche group. Also, with today's technological advancements, people in general demand more from developers. When developers stop supporting their game it directly influences the community, and that's sad, because while not perfect (as no game is) MK still had a lot of potential before it died.
I just don't understand why NRS doesn't follow suite and release a UMK9, to keep the game fresh, I guess its because they are working under WB and dont have the luxury to spend as much time on 1 brand as they would like? Or simply they just got tired of supporting the game n patching the game.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Maybe NRS wants to be known for more than just MK.
Maybe they're working under a release schedule influenced by WB?
There could be a multitude of reasons.
What we need to accept is that the FG Community does not come first. We're not the largest portion of people who buy the games on release date. Out of the millions of copies MK and Komplete Edition sold. we're the minority.

We can't expect all this special treatment/constant updates/large pot prizes.

The_SNKE

BLT | RM
I seriously wanted to make a thread like this tonight too. I feel like the competition would be through the roof too now that the community's had time to develop their fundamentals. Ugh, I miss this game so much!

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
I just don't understand why NRS doesn't follow suite and release a UMK9, to keep the game fresh, I guess its because they are working under WB and dont have the luxury to spend as much time on 1 brand as they would like? Or simply they just got tired of supporting the game n patching the game.
I agree, and it's really confusing. It's not like WB as a company is hurting for money, so I don't understand the logic behind not supporting their games. At the same time, NRS releases every patch in the space of a few months then never looks back... it's really hard to place blame on either of them alone. I just wish they'd both take a cue from other devs and understand that people love their games, and will continue to support them so long as they do. Maybe it's a Western thing, I don't know :(

Edit: Actually, I think a big point being missed by WB and NRS is that moreso than any other current genre in the medium (outside of maybe shooters), fighters are an evolving thing. They change from week to week as people discover more about the system. Nowadays, you can't simply make a fighter for a turn and burn profit (well you can, but... look at MK now), because those days are gone. A company that chooses to make a fighter now is also making a commitment to the community that spawns from it, and that point seems to be missed at the moment.

Last edited:

The_SNKE

BLT | RM
Everyone moved on. GGA kept up longer than most, all the way to VXG, but it's over now. I'm at peace.
But if everyone kept playing MK, I'm pretty sure GGA's interest wouldn't have dwindled. I know the only reason we don't play here is because no one else is playing. Again, I feel like now that we've all leveled up fundamentally, I think we'd see some really awesome stuff. It's probably hopeless, but I wish it wasn't...

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
SoCal still has life. Two EGP MK tourneys, and a third possibly ran by Chef in the next 4 weeks. If ye have interest in this game, buy a plane ticket.

Only way to keep the scene going is by getting new blood that plays at a reasonably high level. That's how Melee kept it's self alive. It helps when the top dogs stick around long enough to pass the torch. Alas, most migrated to IGAU, and now KI. So the poor mid-level tourney players have no heels to nip at.

The_SNKE, come on down on the 14th brother.

http://testyourmight.com/threads/12-14-13-egp-resurrection-series-mk9-igau.39709/

Last edited:

Sasarix

"Heaven Will Fall!"
Why should the pros waste their time supporting a game that NRS won't even support. NRS left MK 9 in a bad spot knowing it needed that last patch and just didn't do it. If you want the fans to support your game you kinda need to show it some support as well.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
A huge reason for its death is the game breaking glitches.

Things like input bug, p1 advantage, wacky corners, meter drain glitch. Its one thing to lose a 2-8 MU because the other person outplayed you or plays a better character, but when you are trying to EX a move and Kenshi stuffs it it makes playing the game very frustrating. Injustice doesnt have these issues save the wacky corners again.

MK9 had a very good run and was the best fighter I played, followed, and watched. Just the other day was watching Tom vs Li joe and even matches that early in the games life was so entertaining to watch.(Man I wish I could find that early CDjr vs TOM MU were tom went 1-9). MK9 is over, It can get the rest it deserves now.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
I just wanted to pop in here to say a couple things:

1) If this thread turns into yet another needless debate over MK or Injustice being better than the other, I will have no choice but to dish out infractions for thread derailment, as we have had enough of such heated talks going on. Keep it civil and within the rules.

2) As much as I respect the determination to return MK9 to the tournament world, it's an uphill battle. I stream it every Saturday evening to keep the few remaining MK9 supporters happy, plus I play it to support my Ruthless Mayhem family, but that's ultimately the best I can do. You would need a shit-load of people screaming to see the game back on official tournament streams, and because so many of the former MK9 players dropped it to move on to Injustice since the competition has advanced over to there, you will have a lot of obstacles to storm past.

Many people blame NRS for turning their backs on a game that achieved so much success, all while forgetting that it is because of Warner Bros. that Netherrealm Studios even exists. As such, the final word in everything NRS does...lies with WB. So when you think of it like that, shouldn't our goal be to show WB and NRS that they have everything to gain from maintaining continuous support for Mortal Kombat and Injustice players? Of course, whether WB checks in on what the FGC does or not isn't something we can confirm.

I'm sad that MK9's been dropped, but people aren't robots to be programmed with the goal of supporting games forever, especially if said games aren't ones they can continue bringing themselves to play. For some, Injustice delivered quite the package, and so they're ready to move on; for others, it did not, and now they pine for a return to the olden days of MK9 hype, or they've moved on to other franchises altogether.

I can only tell you this...

Whether numbers run high or low at tournaments or online, there will always be someone playing the game you like. You have no need to lose faith in that. From my experience, the MK9 lobbies on PSN are surprisingly active even though tournament turnouts have died down. I know online isn't quite the best thing a player would want, but we all need to start somewhere. Players always come along to bolster their offline scenes as time goes by, even if they are few in number at first.

Keep playing your game and keep promoting it. Because at the end of the day, it's all you can do.