What's new

[May 22, 2015] COMBO BREAKER (Rosemont, IL)

thehadou

Bumbling towards greatness.
Hey everyone,

Wanted to pick a place to talk about the event’s decision to run Mortal Kombat X on PS4, and the event thread here on TYM seems best suited.

I spent a very long time deliberating, with players, with other TOs, with local polls, and random Twitter followers, over what system to run Mortal Kombat X on. The pros for each console are readily apparent, with complicated-to-use-back-compatible controllers and ESL leagues/money being the respective front runners in most people’s minds. I’ve had about a week with a batch of dedicated gamers to test out both the Xbox One and PS4 versions of the game, and truthfully other than differing netcode experiences I am hard-pressed to find substantial differences between the two. With each holding the patch offline, and it being too early in the game’s life to judge how hot-fixes will behave, there just isn’t a forced “best” console.

I’ve been a very strong supporter of Killer Instinct in the past year, so I understand why a lot of people assumed I’d take the ESL announcements as an immediate excuse to run with MKX on Xbox One. While I’m willing to admit that a personal bias towards wanting more players with KI access is present, it didn’t sway the decision to run the game on PS4 at Combo Breaker.

Instead I looked forward to how I view the FGC in 2016.

I find it easy to see the PS4; a console with SF4, SFV, and Guilty Gear as exclusives, with Mortal Kombat X available, with the historically Sony favoring Tekken 7 fan-base looming, and EVO’s support, as the dominant tournament console. While unpleasant for someone who actively loves his Xbox One, greatly appreciates the push ESL is making with Microsoft, and wants to please everyone, I think the PS4 raises a potential chance for the FGC to mostly unify around one console in the long term. This isn’t something that was possible in the 360/PS3 generation, and it created long-standing riffs in the player base for all games. I’m a strong believer in fighting game players, although possessing favorites, generally playing lots of fighting games. So having a single console with nearly all of the most popular franchises available is a potential melting pot community wise.

I recognize that this isn’t perfect with the ESL series on Xbox. Yet, with the less than perfect netcode experienced this week I’m also not 100% sold on ESL’s online leagues being a pillar for high level play. When the online leagues get removed from the “PROs” column it gets significantly harder to support Xbox One use right now. Knowing that the other tournaments in proximity to Combo Breaker, such as CEO and EVO (and possibly SCR), are running MKX on PS4 also means that console is likely more beneficial for regularly traveling players this summer.

I’m truly sorry to the players this decision disappoints, and doubly so to those who, like me, own Xbox One sticks and Hitboxes. I am hoping this is a good decision for the future of the game’s offline community though. If I’m wrong we’ll find out in the coming months and all move forward from there.

Respect to everyone. Looking forward to getting some games in.
- Rick

@STORMS

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
MK X Auction tournament.

Please believe that I will be bringing the cash to rep Sub-Zero. You all have been warned.

CurlyW

Noob
What was the reason Jason was banned ?
The Combo Breaker TO explained his reasoning in the front page thread:

As a horror movie buff and a Jason fan I'm sad too, but I think this is the right call. Jason isn't available to non pass holders until the 12th and Combo Breaker is on the 22nd. I'm normally a believer that a character should be out a month prior to being tournament legal just to ensure he/she has been explored fully (for both broken reasons and prepared-ness reasons). Jason can't make half that kind of timeline this month.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing him at June events!

protools27

Rebel without a scene
What's the word on wireless controllers for this event? I know it's been a big topic. I plan on making my DS4 wireless, some others in my scene want to know if wireless controllers will be permitted. Thanks in advance, and can't wait to attend my first tourney!

CurlyW

Noob
What's the word on wireless controllers for this event? I know it's been a big topic. I plan on making my DS4 wireless, some others in my scene want to know if wireless controllers will be permitted. Thanks in advance, and can't wait to attend my first tourney!
I alerted the head TO (Rick a.k.a. TheHadou a.k.a. Rocksteady) to your question and he should follow up soon.

@RL Masaru and I are registered & confirmed <3
Oh, aren't you the guys from Tonawanda? Are you Kenmore East or Kenmore West?

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
MK X Auction tournament.

Please believe that I will be bringing the cash to rep Sub-Zero. You all have been warned.
What if unbreakable or cryomancer variation goes up for auction? Will you still buy and be super emo if grandmaster gets pulled out of the hat later?

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
What if unbreakable or cryomancer variation goes up for auction? Will you still buy and be super emo if grandmaster gets pulled out of the hat later?
Oh shit, conundrum introduced.... :eek:

If Unbreakable or Cryo go up first, I will abstain in the hopes for Grandmaster. But if GM doesn't go up for auction, there will be much super emo from me in amounts by which not even God has ever seen. I'm talking "Nightmare SF pressing Start at EVO one too many times" type of emo.

thehadou

Bumbling towards greatness.
Apologies for the delay, got myself locked out my account like a noob.

Wireless DS4 are legal for this event. However you are required to desync the controller at a desync station after every match. If at any time you are seen to not have done this you will be disqualified from the bracket.

Also @Rocksteady whats the word on PS3 sticks? Are they able to be used with a usb hub?
PS3 sticks can be used but you will need to supply your own DS4.