What's new

Question - Sun God Man, sun god and the new cmd grab mechanics

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
nope. Ur an absolute rush down scrub who can not be Rationalized with. Lol at u, or anyone, justifying these command grab buffs. You must lose a lot
I certainly don't think there's any way to justify the change. It's not like he needed it, but if it turns out he does get this buff, it's not like he goes straight to S tier.

I think some of us guys here that play as Kotal are just trying to say that it's not the end of the world, and there are ways around it. It's not like we campaigned for this kind of change.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
I certainly don't think there's any way to justify the change. It's not like he needed it, but if it turns out he does get this buff, it's not like he goes straight to S tier.

I think some of us guys here that play as Kotal are just trying to say that it's not the end of the world, and there are ways around it. It's not like we campaigned for this kind of change.
Totally agree.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
some of us guys here that play as Kotal are just trying to say that it's not the end of the world, and there are ways around it.
To shed some perspective-

Tanya main's- there are ways around it.

Quan Chi main's- there are ways around it.

Mid patch Shinnok- there are ways around it.

Vanilla Raiden- there are ways around it.

Liu prepatch infinite- there are ways around it.

Jacqui prepatch infinite- there are ways around it.

You get the idea.

Ant perez

PerezGomez
I'm a sun god main and I don't like this change lol if I try a b1 cg and you read it by taking the hit you SHOULD blow me the hell up,no risk vs reward and that's the fun thing about sun god imo,the b1 meta.

themanDan

The saw is family
I was thinking the same thing, sun god kotal might be insane if these command grab mechanics make it through the patch.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
I understand where you are coming from, because when you explicitly spell it out, it sounds OP. But, in reality, Unstoppable/Relentless Jason has been able to tick throw off of B2 (an advancing mid) on both hit and block since he was released. Jason's B2 doesn't quite have the frame data or reach of Kotal's B1, but the point is, this isn't the game-breaking change you might think it is.

Also, fyi, Jason can successfully tick (on both block and hit) off of F2 (an advancing high) and 24 (a string that starts high).

Edit: Currently, Kotal can tick throw off of his d1 on block, but not on hit. If he were ever able to do it on hit, THAT would be a problem.

Double edit: I'm not arguing that I think Sun God should be able to tick throw off of B1 on both hit and block (he really doesn't need it and is already a very strong character), I'm just pointing out that I don't believe such an implementation would suddenly shoot him up to S tier.
The idea of Jasons grab working on B2 on hit or block is different though because B2 on hit hits them into the air while Kotals B1 keeps them standing. Kotal B1 comboing into grab on hit would be like if Jaaons B1 tick throw worked on hit too and B1 was faster and never whiffed on anything.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
All of you saying you finally have to respect grapplers are forgetting one thing.

Kotal is not a grappler. Just a character with some of the best footsie potential in the game who was given a command grab without any of the actual hindrances to get in that grapplers typically have. And that was fine because of the way command grabs mixed with the natural playstyle and meta of NRS games.

Macuahuitl for thought.
Why do you say kotal isn't a grappler?

To shed some perspective-

Tanya main's- there are ways around it.

Quan Chi main's- there are ways around it.

Mid patch Shinnok- there are ways around it.

Vanilla Raiden- there are ways around it.

Liu prepatch infinite- there are ways around it.

Jacqui prepatch infinite- there are ways around it.

You get the idea.
But that's how everyone talks about anything in fighters. I'm sure people said the same thing ablut T4 Jin. Plus look at what you're talking about. Looping 50/50s, infinites, safe 50/50 OS. Tanya is the closest in this situation simply because the way you have to guess if the grab is coming, I think you have to guess on tanya rekkas. But she has skewed risk/reward where she's barely at risk while chipping, building meter, and the possibility to break armor for full combo.

Kotal on the other hand gets in to neutral range, does a B1 and if it hits can at least get 20% if he was guessing grab. But if you guess grab you get whatever combo you want. Is there a character in this game who can't break 30% if allowed to start with any string they wanted?

Last edited:

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
The idea of Jasons grab working on B2 on hit or block is different though because B2 on hit hits hem into the air while Kotals B1 keeps them standing. Kotal B1 comboing into grab on hit would be like if Jaaons B1 tick throw worked on hit too and B1 was faster and never whiffed on anything.
It's different in principle, but hardly different in practice. Actually, if Jason's B1~grab worked on hit, it would be better than Kotal's B1~grab working on hit because it has even better range, and the B1~grab or B122 50/50 would be unreal.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
But that's how everyone talks about anything in fighters. I'm sure people said the same thing ablut T4 Jin. Plus look at what you're talking about. Looping 50/50s, infinites, safe 50/50 OS. Tanya is the closest in this situation simply because the way you have to guess if the grab is coming I think you have to guess on tanya rekkas. But she has skewed risk/reward where she's barely at risk while chipping, building meter, and the possibility to break armor for full combo.

Kotal on the other hand gets in to neutral range, does a B1 and if it hits can at least get 20% if he was guessing grab. But if you guess grab you get whatever combo you want. Is there a character in this game who can't break 30% if allowed to start with any string they wanted?
By definition of my example and your response, you're proving my point lol.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
I mean, the mechanic exists in other fighting games lol. KOF off the top of the head.
In the greatest Fighting Game of all time, DONG DONG NEVER DIE, Command Grabs jail on block, can combo on hit and do around 30 to 50% and you can loop them as long as you have meter.

So it's only natural for it to be the same in MKX

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
By definition of my example and your response, you're proving my point lol.
Your point that what? That fighting games develop by finding the best tactics and then ways to overcome, if any?

My point was that saying people say "but there's a counter" when defending a good advantage is usually what people do. But it isn't fair to compare Kotal's possible new grab stuff to 50/50 OS, looping 50/50 resets, infinites, etc etc.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Your point that what? That fighting games develop by finding the best tactics and then ways to overcome, if any?

My point was that saying people say "but there's a counter" when defending a good advantage is usually what people do. But it isn't fair to compare Kotal's possible new grab stuff to 50/50 OS, looping 50/50 resets, infinites, etc etc.
No. That whenever presented with a broken mechanic the main's of the character never say, "wow, this is incredibly silly". There have already been detailed explanations as to why it's silly, by even Sun God players, but most Kotal's will disregard it because in reality they don't want to say it out loud or are in denial because it's their character. I play Kano and admit what Commando can currently do is silly. Jupiter said what Wrestler Jax can do in the beta is outright broken. A couple of Sun God players in this very thread called it silly.

But those examples will always be few and far between the main's of a character saying "there are options", while mostly everyone else will be saying "wow wtf".

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
No. That whenever presented with a broken mechanic the main's of the character never say, "wow, this is incredibly silly". There have already been detailed explanations as to why it's silly, by even Sun God players, but most Kotal's will disregard it because in reality they don't want to say it out loud or are in denial because it's their character. I play Kano and admit what Commando can currently do is silly. Jupiter said what Wrestler Jax can do in the beta is outright broken. A couple of Sun God players in this very thread called it silly.

But those examples will always be few and far between the main's of a character saying "there are options", while mostly everyone else will be saying "wow wtf".
I already said it's pretty good. I just said it wouldn't make him jump tiers because the threat of eating a combo was always there. Same way the threat of being punished by a full combo is always there too. That's what I don't get. Why were people not scared before but scared now? I get that before there was chance at not taking 20% but Kotal always faced a way harsher punish and still does. The same fear people have, Kotal players should have too.

As for Kano, say B1 always ticked on block. Who would you say has the scarier B1? Kotal repeating B1 and at some point he might tick or Kano?

Jax is already a scarier beast than both of those characters imo. It's possible NRS does this on a character by character basis and it's possible they don't.

But I've only been talking about the possible new power of Kotal. I couldn't tell you how it seems for Kano or Jax.

And I wouldn't call this type of change one that's broken without actually putting it through it's paces.

WiseM0nkey

welcome to the ButtSlam
You're putting waaaaaaay too much thought into this. No rational person would ever get hit by b1/b14 on purpose to avoid the grab. Every good player I've ever played against would just jump over me , get a bigger combo and not take the damage from b1. The only reason why I would ever get b1 on hit and whiff db2 is because people didn't respect my 9 frame mid , not because they knew the grab was coming. If anything you now have to respect my b1 more. The counter play to the grab is still there , you can still buffer armour if you don't want to take the risk. You just don't get free combos for sucking at footsies.
dude, what you're saying is wrong, cause if i decide to jump over b1 or take the hit to make you whiff db2 i'm taking the exact same risks in both decisions, wich are getting launched if you decide to commit to the string. it's not the 2% dmg of b1 that makes taking the hit a dumb thing to do, and nor does it mean that i dont respect your b1.

Gengar

Hypnosis > Dreameater (its a reset)
Last edited: