What's new

Question - Sun God Man, sun god and the new cmd grab mechanics

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
So you guys think b1 command grab will work on hit?

Edit: Durr he's not out edited

E

Eldriken

I dont know about you guys, but im VERY excited about it. On the current mkx beta , ALL the cast are comboing comand trows on the ground. This wiil maybe put sun god among the tops. What do you guys think?
People are gonna be scared to fucking death of b1 and b14. They're gonna have to make some really good reads to avoid being grabbed. They can no longer eat a b1/b14 on a read to make an assumed follow up command grab whiff so they can punish.

I've been talking to some fellow Kotal players and they think if this is a universal change to all characters with a command grab that it might be too much in regards to Kotal. I certainly don't think so, y'know? It just adds another layer of depth to the game. If you read that he's gonna do a tick throw, you can still jump/armor out of it. It's just folks are gonna have to be on their toes a bit more against him as the MU will be changing quite a bit from what it's currently like at the moment.

Goatness

Noob
I want to play against and with it before deciding on if it is or isn't too much, but it certainly sounds like a game-changer.

E

Eldriken

So you guys think b1 command grab will work on hit?

Edit: Durr he's not out edited
If the changes to Jax, Kano and I think Mileena wind up being universal for all characters with a command grab, yes, I think it will work on hit.

They'll have to scale the damage.
If this is the case, I'm fine with that. Just reduce it by a few percent. It would be a bit nuts if he did like 23-24% off of b1~db2 on hit. Just make it like 19% and then make raw level 3 command grab do like 16-17% instead of 19%.

Gengar

Hypnosis > Dreameater (its a reset)
Command grabs worked like this at launch and were quickly removed. alot of this beta is rollbacks to how characters were pre launch, thats why scorp f2 and jacqui infinite came back. Some of these roll backs are staying, but some of the things that were rolled back unintentionally will also be removed to. Not saying that this is concrete, but be wary and ready for this to change. It is a beta afterall.

E

Eldriken

Command grabs worked like this at launch and were quickly removed. alot of this beta is rollbacks to how characters were pre launch, thats why scorp f2 and jacqui infinite came back. Some of these roll backs are staying, but some of the things that were rolled back unintentionally will also be removed to. Not saying that this is concrete, but be wary and ready for this to change. It is a beta afterall.
I don't think it's the character being rolled back, it's just what their current version is for KP2. A lot of what the characters in the beta have now aren't anything they had at launch.

This doesn't mean you're wrong in regards to some things not making it the cut in the end, however. Paulo said before that a lot of the changes we see in the beta are actually staying while others aren't. He just didn't give any specifics as to what stays and what goes.

But either way, I hope this is a change that stays. Not just for Kotal, but for all other characters with a command grab. Make characters with command grabs something to be afraid of, y'know?

Generalbit

The blade of osh-tekk is stale.
I like it, wouldn't mind not being whiff punished if they get hit and I commit to the grab. But it's a slippery slope, buffing kotal. He could so easily be pushed too far. Personally I would rather have crazy good recovery instead of standing string to grab.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
People are gonna be scared to fucking death of b1 and b14. They're gonna have to make some really good reads to avoid being grabbed. They can no longer eat a b1/b14 on a read to make an assumed follow up command grab whiff so they can punish.

I've been talking to some fellow Kotal players and they think if this is a universal change to all characters with a command grab that it might be too much in regards to Kotal. I certainly don't think so, y'know? It just adds another layer of depth to the game. If you read that he's gonna do a tick throw, you can still jump/armor out of it. It's just folks are gonna have to be on their toes a bit more against him as the MU will be changing quite a bit from what it's currently like at the moment.
If you can punish it even with NJK then its fair imo. However armour seems unlikely its like a 1 or 2 frame link in a lot of cases

Gengar

Hypnosis > Dreameater (its a reset)
I don't think it's the character being rolled back, it's just what their current version is for KP2. A lot of what the characters in the beta have now aren't anything they had at launch.

This doesn't mean you're wrong in regards to some things not making it the cut in the end, however. Paulo said before that a lot of the changes we see in the beta are actually staying while others aren't. He just didn't give any specifics as to what stays and what goes.

But either way, I hope this is a change that stays. Not just for Kotal, but for all other characters with a command grab. Make characters with command grabs something to be afraid of, y'know?
I honestly think they are rolling back characters to pre launch and then adding their tools to that, at least some of the weaker characters. Alot of the removal of the prelaunch changes are made to balance the game, think Nightwolfs F3 in mk9 being a low. It was removed before the game came out, and the strategy guide for MK had him as best in the game, likely cuz of the low. So they took away some things to tone characters down.

Command grabs working in strings was for sure a thing, i remember being super hype about command grabs working in strings on counter hit, could even do it after ball cancels. Scorpions F2 as an overhead prelaunch was mentioned by derek on a kombat kast. I also believe that jacqui had an infinite back then too and that came back. As did things like double flame aura for scorp. It appears that they are reverting the weak characters to their stronger pre launch forms and then applying the buffs to that. Some of this roll back also reintroduces some stuff that should have stayed gone, like jacquis infinite.
So i think its super possible that command grabs working in strings may get that treatment too.

That being said ive seen 16bit promote jax f3 grab as good, and i dont see him telling people to abuse temporary stuff, id think hed only say that if it was gonna stay. Additionally, at launch command grabs ONLY worked on counterhit, you had to stuff a move or be punishing during recovery frames on whiff/block. you couldnt just do it at all times. If this is working at all times then maybe its been tweaked and is in for sure. We shall see.

Isn't having strings into cmd grab working on hit AND block like the only thing Jason had? Now everyone has it lol.

I'll probably look into playing way more sun god now. Looks like a lot of fun.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I don't get it. What is everyone fearing? You block a b1 and either decide to not block or block. It's the same thing as it was before. Except for being able to punish with a full blown combo for getting hit. Level 3 grab off of b1 is like 21% and he throws you away. It's like an ex grab.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I feel like Kotal hasn't been added to the beta because of this change being exposed. Like how Quan hasn't been added possibly because of the nerf discussing.

With Kotal, in Sun God I would have no idea how to fight him. I dunno, seems like one landed poke from Sun God and it's overwhelming defensively.

ragemaker

Stay Safe with WGCs

Sooooo....Does this mean that Erron Black gets his back off d3? :DOGE

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
Hmmm so grapplers are going to be good? As long as they have a tough time against zoning I think this is fair.

Redux

Ex Phase
I don't see if anyone's mentioned this but he could tick of b12 on block day 1. if they bring this back with the new command grab mechanics it would help him a lot.

E

Eldriken

I don't get it. What is everyone fearing? You block a b1 and either decide to not block or block. It's the same thing as it was before. Except for being able to punish with a full blown combo for getting hit. Level 3 grab off of b1 is like 21% and he throws you away. It's like an ex grab.
How are you gonna punish him if b1~db2 connects on hit? You don't get to whiff punish squat with the change because it doesn't whiff on hit.