What's new

Question - Sun God Man, sun god and the new cmd grab mechanics

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
Someone tested if the command grabs work after a poke on hit? for example, d3xxcommand grab

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
So you're fighting Kotal and you block B1, you can...

A. Backdash
B. Jump Forward
C. Jump Backward
D. Neutral Jump
E. Use an armor attack
F. Keep Blocking

Let's not pretend that this Command Grab on hit shit is going to break the game. You'll have these options that will cause Kotal to make a potentially unsafe read that you can full combo punish. His command grab has like 50 frames of recovery on whiff. That's enough time to go make a snack and come back to punish him.

Khaoz77

Don't run, you're gonna trip...

A. Backdash
B. Jump Forward
C. Jump Backward
D. Neutral Jump
E. Use an armor attack
F. Keep Blocking

Let's not pretend that this Command Grab on hit shit is going to break the game. You'll have these options that will cause Kotal to make a potentially unsafe read that you can full combo punish. His command grab has like 50 frames of recovery on whiff. That's enough time to go make a snack and come back to punish him.
Options? What are those? Kotal Kahn is 2gud cant play da gaem gg

But you are right, Kotal's cmd grab on whiff is horrendously unsafe. I don't even really think Kotal being able to hit command grabs on hit is a broken thing, He still has to play an above average neutral to even get those tick throws.

Unless you play BlazBlue and get Tager'd for about 60% of your health, there is nothing to fear here :DOGE

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Imo this is a dumb change if its universal. People who need this probably arent used to fighting real grapplers at all. The point of a tick throw is that you conditioned them to block to set up the tick throw. For instance with Vicious Ferra Torr the command grab is much slower with less range than the other stances so I dont use it raw often unless its EXed for armor. Instead I use F3 tick throw most times because its an advancing mid, but that shit does not combo on hit, that defeats the whole purpose of conditioning them to block in F3 range.

If they wanted to make grappling actually viable in this game they should have gotten rid of all the random grab immune moves on the ground and made command grabs break armor so you cant just mash armor out of every tick throw set up you would have to actually jump or backdash them. Also people that take the hit of a tick throw "on a read" to avoid the grab are dumb, if you are reading the grab then just forward jump or neutral jump to punish, time to learn how to actually fight grapplers

Wigy

There it is...
They should nerf how fucking long the cmd grab animation is lol takes so fucking long, can spark a [ban incoming] and make a cup of tea and come back if hes on level 3

E

Eldriken

They should nerf how fucking long the cmd grab animation is lol takes so fucking long, can spark a [ban incoming] and make a cup of tea and come back if hes on level 3
Heck no. It's always awesome seeing the animation.

E

Eldriken

Considering how easy it is to land its a pain in the tits seeing 1 minute of being flopped about getting sunburned every match
I can understand where you're coming from. I hate particularly long throw animations like Takeda's. I just like seeing Sun God's command grab animation, which is why I'm not bothered by it.

Wigy

There it is...
I can understand where you're coming from. I hate particularly long throw animations like Takeda's. I just like seeing Sun God's command grab animation, which is why I'm not bothered by it.
If i had it my way

Each level should do one animation level three shouldnt do all three grab animations.

But its a completely pointless complaint really lol

E

Eldriken

If i had it my way

Each level should do one animation level three shouldnt do all three grab animations.

But its a completely pointless complaint really lol
Don't worry, I make completely pointless complaints all the time. =P But if level 3 just had him do the burning animation, I wouldn't complain. He just better still say "On your knees!"

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!

A. Backdash
B. Jump Forward
C. Jump Backward
D. Neutral Jump
E. Use an armor attack
F. Keep Blocking

While agree and don't mind the issue

Try jumping with Cage when you are in the corner with no meter

I think if they add recovery frames to Cmd grab where every char can safe jump out would help

I love the universal change though

Edit: or can it already be safe jumped? If so forget what I said

Last edited:

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
So...

Sun God is going to have an advancing 9F mid attack that is -2 on block that tick throws on block and hit into a 20% command throw.

I wonder whether he can tick throw from his 6F d+1 too.

This "new" mechanic must be a glitch. Nobody with extensive fighting game knowledge would implement such foolishness.
I play characters with command grabs a lot I don't see how this can stay without command grabs becoming the new dumb shit.

Wigy

There it is...
Don't worry, I make completely pointless complaints all the time. =P But if level 3 just had him do the burning animation, I wouldn't complain. He just better still say "On your knees!"
They also need to nerf the amount of noise predator makes lol. Jc f24 1212121212 in the corner is ear fuck

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
The dumb fear is still going strong wow. Kotal is the new red scare. If at least 2 grapplers make top 8 in a major and one of them wins it, I just might believe this.

LeeVanDam

Sun God Advocate
I don't understand all the hype. It doesn't change the tick throws situation because if your string has too much block stun, the Sun God Choke will still whiff. I'm excited for the extra KOF style damage, but Kotal's strings aren't like other characters where you get a long time to hit confirm the throw on the end. The strings I'd want to be able to cancel a throw off of, I can't cancel anything anyways (ex. b+3,2 or f+1,2).

To get extra damage off more stuff is great, but you're still committing to the throw in situations where if it's blocked we get punished for free (unless it becomes an OS where the throw doesn't come out on block). I'm quite sure the choke damage off pokes would add up quick, but our Sun God power up gives us a bit more utility without risking a whiffed grab.

I don't want people to become more jumpy just because. I want them to feel the throw's coming, jump... give me an easy punish, then stop jumping and take all my chokes the rest of the time. Could someone give me some examples besides b+1 on hit because we can already mitigate risk by cancelling between EX Sunstone and SGC on reaction to the b+1 string, and b+1,2,2 > level 3 SGC (or EX Sunstone into whatever combo into level 3 SGC) already does the quick whiff punish in the corner to keep someone in the corner. I want to really feel the hype and be excited like everyone else :)

Skedar70

Noob
This is crazy. This allows for option select among string into command grabs(throw the string out if it is blocked the grab connects and if you hit it the command grab also connects). Characters like commando kano and kotal are going to be brain dead broken. Your only options are jump, backdash or armor. If you don't have bar or stamina your only option is jump. I'm not sure if this is going to be balanced.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
This is crazy. This allows for option select among string into command grabs(throw the string out if it is blocked the grab connects and if you hit it the command grab also connects). Characters like commando kano and kotal are going to be brain dead broken. Your only options are jump, backdash or armor. If you don't have bar or stamina your only option is jump. I'm not sure if this is going to be balanced.
Jump. Backdash. Armor.

So basically the same options that everyone has in just about every other situation with any other character? Just about the only thing missing is a down jab. It's not like Kotal has mix ups for you to worry about.

Skedar70

Noob
Jump. Backdash. Armor.

So basically the same options that everyone has in just about every other situation with any other character?
Not the same, you can always block or poke...not anymore. Now you have to take a big risk to get out of a brain dead B1 into command grab back into rinse and repeat.