What's new

Guide - Liu Kang Liu Kang Living Guide Thread

AkaWolverine

Still Training
Hey guys, I scanned through the LK posts and haven't seen this stuff posted (if it is and I missed it, my bad, just let me know x.x).

X-Ray Combo (Works in all Variations as well as Mid-Screen and Corner):

B34~(Timing Specific)F21xx X-Ray=47%

This is pretty nice since you can easily hit confirm off of a JIP~B34, then either go into Dragons Roar(DB2) on block or continue the combo on hit. Connecting the F21xx X-Ray is a bit tricky (I imagine more so online) but definitely doable. Doing this combo with the Flame Fist buff will kick the damage up to about 50% and the full power Duelist buff will kick the damage up to about 61%. An alternate version which is much easier and only 1% less damage is:

B34~(Timing Specific)F4xx X-Ray=46%

Make sure to cancel into X-Ray on the second kick form the F4.

On another note, I noticed something pretty good about the string B34xxDB2(Dragons Roar). When you cancel the 3rd kick of B34 into DB2 the opponent is above LK's head when they get hit by the Dragons Roar. This negates half of the knock back from the special and gives LK plenty of time to chase the knock down, even if they tech roll. You can dash or run cancel into whatever you like after them and you're at advantage/equal on their wake up. I feel like strings like this are much more beneficial to keep the pressure up rather than knocking them full screen with a lot of the combos I see.

I'll be hitting the lab again later tonight, working on some more stuff I think might be useful. In the meantime have fun and be like water my friends :D

Last edited:

nobody

Noob
hey guys, i play alot of liu but when they block low, i dont have other chose, i only can do 113 to get the overhead and combo, what other stuff can i do to get some combo, LK need a better overhead i always get punished for this

Erik Warda

Kabal Mage
The problem with his block string pressure is that he's not scary off of anything on hit and he gets outlined at the same time. Very honest character but doesn't abuse anything really.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
The problem with his block string pressure is that he's not scary off of anything on hit and he gets outlined at the same time. Very honest character but doesn't abuse anything really.
I think the strength of his block string is the meter build really. You can get a full bar from 2 reps and then end with f213 dragon's roar. Or most of a bar into a throw, continued f21 pressure, low, oh. He is one of the few characters with continuous pressure through f213 fb cancel and f21, mb dragon kick.

He is honest but he doesn't really suffer from it imo. He has the tools to deal with everything really; if he doesn't want to play up close then pick FF and zone, and if zoning isn't the best playstyle for a certain mu then pick DF and rush them down. I can imagine he will end up going even or slight advantage/disadvantage against the whole cast.

Erik Warda

Kabal Mage
Sorry
I think the strength of his block string is the meter build really. You can get a full bar from 2 reps and then end with f213 dragon's roar. Or most of a bar into a throw, continued f21 pressure, low, oh. He is one of the few characters with continuous pressure through f213 fb cancel and f21, mb dragon kick.

He is honest but he doesn't really suffer from it imo. He has the tools to deal with everything really; if he doesn't want to play up close then pick FF and zone, and if zoning isn't the best playstyle for a certain mu then pick DF and rush them down. I can imagine he will end up going even or slight advantage/disadvantage against the whole cast.
but Liu will most likely get phased out. The character simply is not scary off any hit. This game right now, since combo breakers absolutely suck, is about high damage characters or standing resets. Both of which Kang has none.
He's a jack of all trades but isn't good at anything.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Sorry

but Liu will most likely get phased out. The character simply is not scary off any hit. This game right now, since combo breakers absolutely suck, is about high damage characters or standing resets. Both of which Kang has none.
He's a jack of all trades but isn't good at anything.
Disagree with the last statement. He gets to play his game against most of the cast and there is next to no risk in anything he does. He is good at zoning and he can deal well with people once they get in. He's a nightmare in the corner as well. I don't think a character who's fundamentally as solid as he is will ever get phased out. It depends what happens with patches though.

XAlcarazX

"Death will reveal the truth"
Negative, pretty much all you need to know :p. It can confuse people.
Only fireball cancel strings I've found positive are F213(atleast +10) and F44(around +2).
111, 112, B34, B33, 44, F44, F213 are all positive on block with F213 being the most + off of a FBC

hey guys, i play alot of liu but when they block low, i dont have other chose, i only can do 113 to get the overhead and combo, what other stuff can i do to get some combo, LK need a better overhead i always get punished for this
If they're blocking low just throw out f21 and f44 pressure. f44 can be hit conrifmed into a full combo with the dragon kicks EN. Also, throw and the occasional random b2 are always good options.

Kas

Oh hai ^-^
Yo guys, Im a PC player. Just downloaded a new patch and it looks like LK got a nerf?? Not sure why the hell that would be the case. B2 is now -11, 113 is -4, dragons roar is -2. D3 is +1 though. But yea is anyone else seeing this?

XAlcarazX

"Death will reveal the truth"
Yo guys, Im a PC player. Just downloaded a new patch and it looks like LK got a nerf?? Not sure why the hell that would be the case. B2 is now -11, 113 is -4, dragons roar is -2. D3 is +1 though. But yea is anyone else seeing this?
pc just got up to date. consoles have had it like this for a couple weeks now

Negative, pretty much all you need to know :p. It can confuse people.
Only fireball cancel strings I've found positive are F213(atleast +10) and F44(around +2).
Do you use f44?? seems high risk to me. i usually just end it with a db2. My run cancels are slow :((

AssassiN

Noob
Those were frame-data corrections. There are still a few things wrong, like F21 is +2 on block while the frame-data saids it's 0.
The only nerf Liu has gotten is that Flying Kick MB is +2 on block instead of +15, this change hasn't happened on PC yet.