What's new

Guide - Liu Kang Liu Kang Living Guide Thread

XBlades

To Achieve, You must Believe
Hey guys thought i throw some info. I have been working on fist stance... So far the best combo into fist is f213 en fist.. I usually back dash to create footsie game and start using fireballs. Fireballs on fist helps your zoning by far the best since its 10% each fireball on hit. As well as using db2 in fire fist the best.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Hey guys thought i throw some info. I have been working on fist stance... So far the best combo into fist is f213 en fist.. I usually back dash to create footsie game and start using fireballs. Fireballs on fist helps your zoning by far the best since its 10% each fireball on hit. As well as using db2 in fire fist the best.
Best punish is 113 run b12 run f21 wp. 34% and meterless.

Hey Im curious on what everyones opinion is of far on his jump 1 and 2? I can't seem to hit them consistently so I wanted to know what you guys thought about it

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Hey Im curious on what everyones opinion is of far on his jump 1 and 2? I can't seem to hit them consistently so I wanted to know what you guys thought about it
I think using jump in 4 is his best jump in. His jumping attacks suck though

TheIrishFGCguy

Pew pew pew
Is flame fist actually good? What are the perks of using it over dragons fire? It seems interesting but I'm not exactly comfortable with dropping the bicycle kicks...

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Is flame fist actually good? What are the perks of using it over dragons fire? It seems interesting but I'm not exactly comfortable with dropping the bicycle kicks...
Better meterless damage all over the screen and better zoning. The downside is that his best meterless combo is only off 113 as a punish, so a stray hit confirm nets much less damage in FF than it does in DF. In FF he doesn't get the crazy advantage on block of ex bicycle kick, but he gets more chip damage, which is pretty useful considering f21 is a 2-punch string that is +2 on block, and his best block pressure moves are punches. Parry is also useful.

AssassiN

Noob
Better meterless damage all over the screen and better zoning. The downside is that his best meterless combo is only off 113 as a punish, so a stray hit confirm nets much less damage in FF than it does in DF. In FF he doesn't get the crazy advantage on block of ex bicycle kick, but he gets more chip damage, which is pretty useful considering f21 is a 2-punch string that is +2 on block, and his best block pressure moves are punches. Parry is also useful.
Can you give an example of a damaging combo in Flame Fist?
Doubt it will be that much more to make it worth it. You're right about the zoning though.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Can you give an example of a damaging combo in Flame Fist?
Doubt it will be that much more to make it worth it. You're right about the zoning though.
With damage buff: midscreen 113 run b12 run f21 wp = 34%-35% meterless
Corner 113 u4 njp jp1 fireball 1 111 wp roughly 40% (can't remember off the top of my head)

The problem with FF is that you don't get a big combo off a hit confirmed f44, as with the damage buff f44 wp is 27% but it does leave them standing for a low fireball or b2 mixup, which if they start to respect you can run up and do stuff.

AssassiN

Noob
With damage buff: midscreen 113 run b12 run f21 wp = 34%-35% meterless
Corner 113 u4 njp jp1 fireball 1 111 wp roughly 40% (can't remember off the top of my head)

The problem with FF is that you don't get a big combo off a hit confirmed f44, as with the damage buff f44 wp is 27% but it does leave them standing for a low fireball or b2 mixup, which if they start to respect you can run up and do stuff.
Looks like good damage, comes close to 1 bar in Dragon's Fire.
But you need the Flame Fist buff, which has sooooo much recovery. There is no way to use MB Flame Fist with a string to have some + frames, right?

What do you use meter for in the Flame Fist variation? EX wp doesn't launch if I remember correctly.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Looks like good damage, comes close to 1 bar in Dragon's Fire.
But you need the Flame Fist buff, which has sooooo much recovery. There is no way to use MB Flame Fist with a string to have some + frames, right?

What do you use meter for in the Flame Fist variation? EX wp doesn't launch if I remember correctly.
I end combos in b34 FF as much as I can, or I hit confirm a full screen fireball into the buff. I only use meter for armour and wake ups, which is something that helps because he doesn't need meter for combos. I have starting using meter for the ex FF as well.

I'm pretty sure that Dragon's Fire is going to get nerfed because of the 213 fb cancel and f44 ex dragons kick pressure, so it depends how that nerf will affect his pressure game. In FF I've been using f21 because it's plus and does extra chip, and mixing up f44, b2 and throws after it.

XAlcarazX

"Death will reveal the truth"
i was under the impression that his F21 on block was neutral. that his only +string was D3 +1 on block??

Made a vid of some basic combos

Combo 1: F44 - FBF4(wait)EX - NJP(U1) - B33 - FBF4 - D2

Combo 2: F44 - FBF4(Wait)EX - B12 - F213 - BF2

Combo 3: F44 - FBF4(Wait)EX - B33 - FBF4 - B12 - BF2

Combo 4: 113 - B33 - FBF4 - D2

Combo 5: F44 - FBF4(Wait)EX - U4 - BF2

Combo 5: 113 - B12 - B12 - BF2

lol, does liu even have crossups? tried but no success.
about anti airs, on prediction you may get away with njk or bj4 into air fireball and combo. d2 works but not against strong jumping attacks like subs kicks. forward dash or backdash to make jumpin whiff into pressure is probably the best option, but im not sure yet as i havent tried it in real match.

oleg44

Noob
Made a vid of some basic combos

Combo 1: F44 - FBF4(wait)EX - NJP(U1) - B33 - FBF4 - D2

Combo 2: F44 - FBF4(Wait)EX - B12 - F213 - BF2

Combo 3: F44 - FBF4(Wait)EX - B33 - FBF4 - B12 - BF2

Combo 4: 113 - B33 - FBF4 - D2

Combo 5: F44 - FBF4(Wait)EX - U4 - BF2

Combo 5: 113 - B12 - B12 - BF2
im noob, so can you give me some tips with first combo? I've often drop combo on mid screen after NJP (how to walk in?). Also do you have any tips regarding NJP itself, it wiff too often on a mid screen.
Thanks in advance.

im noob, so can you give me some tips with first combo? I've often drop combo on mid screen after NJP (how to walk in?). Also do you have any tips regarding NJP itself, it wiff too often on a mid screen.
Thanks in advance.
Unfortunatley I don't have any tips really either. NJP in this game is very difficult to land. It took me a few times to land it, but what I do is I press jump as soon as I can, but I do not hold it. Then as soon as I get in the air I hit, but make sure you don't spam it.

oleg44

Noob
Unfortunatley I don't have any tips really either. NJP in this game is very difficult to land. It took me a few times to land it, but what I do is I press jump as soon as I can, but I do not hold it. Then as soon as I get in the air I hit, but make sure you don't spam it.
thanks a lot, will try. hope it helps.

What is a good wake up move for Liu Kang?

Also, what do everyone use to keep pressure? I use (I think it's) b1,2.
I know depending on my opponents playstyle, I have had plenty of success using EX dragons roar (db 2) on wakeup to get out of pressure situations, particularly in the corner. that move plus the threat of his parry can really keep pressure fighters in check

Some stage oddities I've noticed concerning Liu Kang:

-Dead Woods is longer than every other stage in the game. If you land a hit at the start of the round a standard 2x BK combo (like F44 xx BK-mb B34 F213 xx BK) will not reach the corner on Dead Woods (but will on every other stage). The rest of the stages are about the same length.

-Hitting with Bicycle Kick lags the game on Kuatan Jungle (on PS4 at least). Actually I've noticed that if you spend enough time in training room without returning to character select then BK will eventually lag the game regardless of stage.

Alakai

Noob
Not sure if this was post but his B1 stuffs armor wake up
Yeah, there are very few wakeups in the game that b12 don't beat out easy. From what I have tested so far most characters only 1 or 2 options that are hard to stuff. Some can't be stuffed but those are usually backdashes.