What's new

General/Other - Kung Lao Kung Lao's Meter GAIN Glitch Discussion

Should Kung Lao Be Banned This Weekend at Combo Breaker?

• Total voters

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Also just as a general thought, just because it is a glitch does not mean it is more urgent to ban. It is not the competitor's job to keep in mind what the developer's intent was and the fact of the matter is it is in the game and does not inherently break the game. Therefore it is not banworthy with this short of notice. Just my opinion.

Audit

Falls down too much
Here's the other side of the coin, if KL isn't banned than this glitch needs to be explained fully so that everyone in the bracket has a chance to counteract it and sort of even the playing field so to speak. Like I've heard that the timing is strict, but what does that mean? That you have to input the teleport on the wakeup frame or what? People have to know how this affects any setup they have and to know that it has to be fully exposed. I would be pissed if this was allowed to rock and I found out later that it was a known glitch and only a couple of top tourney players knew fully about it.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
no... it was confusing to read though.

i'll try again

There are plenty of characters where they toss you full to 3/4 screen away and Kung Lao can check them with a hat toss on wake up (whether it is safe or not doesn't matter... its there)

You're suggesting dq'ing people who have had this MU experience and done these time and time again and engrained muscle memory to do this. Whether it be the low hat... or the teleport.

Especially only.... what ... 4 days out.......... if I mained lao i'd demand my money back from the event if any of this caused an immediate DQ. You can't un-train yourself to do these things that you've been doing for so long in that short of a period of time. They're just natural reactions and natural instinct.
But it was fine to ban spectral ermac the week of Northwest majors? Sounds like crying to me. If they are unintentionally exploiting glitches they are still exploiting glitches. I'm personally not ok with exploiting glitches. But it's up to everyone really.

Gengar

Hypnosis > Dreameater (its a reset)
no... it was confusing to read though.

i'll try again

There are plenty of characters where they toss you full to 3/4 screen away and Kung Lao can check them with a hat toss on wake up (whether it is safe or not doesn't matter... its there)

You're suggesting dq'ing people who have had this MU experience and done these time and time again and engrained muscle memory to do this. Whether it be the low hat... or the teleport.

Especially only.... what ... 4 days out.......... if I mained lao i'd demand my money back from the event if any of this caused an immediate DQ. You can't un-train yourself to do these things that you've been doing for so long in that short of a period of time. They're just natural reactions and natural instinct.
yeah, wouldnt want to inconvenience the poor KL players with the shiny new glitch, let them keep it. instead just inconvenience the ENTIRE REST OF THE CAST forcing them to play in manners that deny wake up and never knock down KL full screen. great plan you have there

Ya, I by no means posted the vid to call anyone out, but purely to show that this is in fact viable during a match, and def breaks the game.
Translation, "i found a bunch of broken shit."

This is going to be swept under the rug when everyone is freaking out over dvorah next week.

Edit. Woops, wrong quote. I meant to quote the one about pls new "tech"

Not even going to combo breaker, but im in favor of whatever makes our game look the least broken.

Gengar

Hypnosis > Dreameater (its a reset)
Okay you need to calm down buddy. You're severely overreacting to this - "allowing kung lao to break combos every time you touch him" that is not even true man. This glitch is not that bad and you know it. Is it a very good tool? Absolutely. But it is not unbeatable and it in no way "ruins your game". It simply give sKung Lao an admittedly very very good tool. If there was something practical that could be done then I would totally be for it, but I think you underestimate how difficult this kind of thing would be to regulate.
KL can wake up every time you touch him with teleport and HALF of those times, at minimum, he will be able to break it. That means that i have to work that much harder to win, because he is getting free bar which means more breaker which means i have to open him up or make more reads than he does. not only that but he can mindlessly wake up with port when he has a bar cuz it builds one for free breaker if hes punished or he can get full combo if he gets away with it.

If KL does this shit a single time its an unfair advantage, no other character can just get free meter out of nowhere, and doing so gets you that much closer to breaker which means i have to try that much harder to get my damage in, while your job gets easier with mindless wake up toss/tele.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
KL can wake up every time you touch him with teleport and HALF of those times, at minimum, he will be able to break it. That means that i have to work that much harder to win, because he is getting free bar which means more breaker which means i have to open him up or make more reads than he does. not only that but he can mindlessly wake up with port when he has a bar cuz it builds one for free breaker if hes punished or he can get full combo if he gets away with it.

If KL does this shit a single time its an unfair advantage, no other character can just get free meter out of nowhere, and doing so gets you that much closer to breaker which means i have to try that much harder to get my damage in, while your job gets easier with mindless wake up toss/tele.
No other character can do a lot of things. It is not the competitor's job to figure out the developer's intent. And in the situation you gave you are going to full combo him for it every time, and he will only break every other, so you will win. It is in no way some instant win - simply a very good tool.

Reactions: SGX

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
Umm how about just not doing either as A FUCKING WAKE UP? HMMM??? SERIOUSLY what Lao will wake up with those moves anyway unless the want there ass handed back to them on there hat? If said Lao player tries the game DQ his ass period. Thread closed.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
There are two options: Ban the character or ban the move.

The Hat Toss and Teleport can and will be abused if we "let it rock" and that is dumb. Too much money on the line to let that slide.

If that is ingrained in their muscle memory to wakeup tele or hat toss, too effing bad. Just like when the game was patched days before Toryuken, sometimes you gotta adjust as a player. Plus most KL players will do EX Tele on wakeup instead of tele.

If the KL player does the glitch, give the opponent the round. Straight up DQing someone for this would be ridiculous, especially because it could come out on accident. But giving the opponent the round is fair and will at least give them a chance to come back. This is the only way other than straight up banning the character, IMO.

haketh

Noob
There are two options: Ban the character or ban the move.

The Hat Toss and Teleport can and will be abused if we "let it rock" and that is dumb. Too much money on the line to let that slide.

If that is ingrained in their muscle memory to wakeup tele or hat toss, too effing bad. Just like when the game was patched days before Toryuken, sometimes you gotta adjust as a player. Plus most KL players will do EX Tele on wakeup instead of tele.

If the KL player does the glitch, give the opponent the round. Straight up DQing someone for this would be ridiculous, especially because it could come out on accident. But giving the opponent the round is fair and will at least give them a chance to come back. This is the only way other than straight up banning the character, IMO.
Good lord I'm out, this is completely foolish

just_2swift

Don't care how it's done. As long as there's a consequence. And what Lao has this ingrained to wake up with this anyway? Scrub deserves whatever judgment that will be bestowed upon him.

IKizzLE

BloodHound
I like how Colt said they've known about this for weeks. They couldn't let the community know a couple of weeks ago? lol. I'm sure there is some other stuff that most people have overlooked and the NRS devs are just crossing their fingers their patches hit before the community knows about it haha. To of course, avoid topics like this.

NariTuba

disMember
The only question worth asking here is: "Does it break the game?"

If abuse of the glitch gives players such a huge advantage that they easily beat opponents of equal or higher skill with it, then it should be banned. I do not believe this is the case.

The reason this thread exists is because the community understands this was not intended by the developers, not because of the actual concrete effect it has on tournament gameplay.

MK9 Cyrax was able to get huge damage because of something that was not intended by the developers. The effect on actual gameplay was much more significant than this, yet the character was not banned. Because in the end, it didn´t break the game, it just made him top tier instead of high-mid.

I say let it rock. Sure, the infamous "meter building round" just got a lot easier for KL players, but other characters in this game have more powerful tools, the only difference is those were intended by NRS and this one isn´t.

I suppose you could ban those wakeups specifically, but that´s a lot easier said than done.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
The only question worth asking here is: "Does it break the game?"

If abuse of the glitch gives players such a huge advantage that they easily beat opponents of equal or higher skill with it, then it should be banned. I do not believe this is the case.

The reason this thread exists is because the community understands this was not intended by the developers, not because of the actual concrete effect it has on tournament gameplay.

MK9 Cyrax was able to get huge damage because of something that was not intended by the developers. The effect on actual gameplay was much more significant than this, yet the character was not banned. Because in the end, it didn´t break the game, it just made him top tier instead of high-mid.

I say let it rock. Sure, the infamous "meter building round" just got a lot easier for KL players, but other characters in this game have more powerful tools, the only difference is those were intended by NRS and this one isn´t.

I suppose you could ban those wakeups specifically, but that´s a lot easier said than done.
You do realize that any time you knock KL fullscreen he can wakeup hat toss for a free bar? What about characters like Cyber Kano or Full Auto Jacqui who want KL to be fullscreen, but now just gave him a free bar because they put him there?

Whether it allows someone to beat someone of a higher skill level is irrelevant, because skill is subjective. The reason people ban things in tournaments is because they feel it is an exploit that shouldn't be able to be used.

For the record I hope people support Rocksteady and Combo Breaker regardless of their decision, and think no matter what happens that the tournament will still be hype. But I dont think letting it rock would be good for the game right now.

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
I like how Colt said they've known about this for weeks. They couldn't let the community know a couple of weeks ago? lol. I'm sure there is some other stuff that most people have overlooked and the NRS devs are just crossing their fingers their patches hit before the community knows about it haha. To of course, avoid topics like this.
This is a pretty good point to make... Why leave us in the dark who play your games when you yourself already knew of this beforehand?

Any word on whether or not Combo Breaker will ban Kung Lao? Perfect Legend is making his way to Australia now and the TOs are discussing the issue as I type this out. Things are going to be messy.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
I just tried it and it works. Wow. How did this slip through?

just_2swift

People are parading about as if they allowed the bug to rock saying " if Lao gets knocked full screen wake up hat etc" This isn't online or your pub local. There's a big pot at stake. I'm sure they will not allow this for one and also consider the fact that they can just ban the moves not the character. The Lao paranoia is ridiculous....