What's new

General/Other - Tempest Kung Lao Tempest Variation General Discussion

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
Does it always have to be Ex? Isnt it fast enough in its regular version to punish? :/

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
Right but what do you do when they block your hat? Tempest lao already feels super unsafe without low hat, so what do you do to mix up your opponent? If you actually land a hit, how do you confirm any damage at all without a hat for what feels like forever?
This. Im trying to use other variations besides Buzz Saw. That hat feels like it never comes back and then im left with no punish or projectile offense. A smart oppenent will take advantage for those seconds lol. Block is always an option. But i need meter and ppressure

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
yeah i was gonna say, lao's variations need a buff, he should be able to spin without his hat so that you can still get a combo, otherwise whats the point of getting a free hit off of your orbiting hat if u can't combo with a spin?

seems to me theres almost no point in using the un-enhanced orbiting hat since it takes forever to return, so even if u do get a hit with it or manage to start an offense, it won't amount to much without spin being available. at least the enhanced version returns fairly quickly.

Last edited:
yeah i was gonna say, lao's variations need a buff, he should be able to spin without his hat so that you can still get a combo, otherwise whats the point of getting a free hit off of your orbiting hat if u can't combo with a spin?

seems to me theres almost no point in using the un-enhanced orbiting hat since it takes forever to return, so even if u do get a hit with it or manage to start an offense, it won't amount to much without spin being available. at least the enhanced version returns fairly quickly.
You can. There is literally a combo video in this thread that shows you how to do it.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
ok, i looked, though looking at some of the combos here couldnt you add a dive kick?

also i found that doing 11212~spin launches them with some extra height, enough to actually do a jk~tele 3 and continue the combo. i think you can do the same off of b321 too.

Hey guys, got a bnb for you after the orbiting hat (non-ex version) hits. There was one shared a few days back that, while great (and slightly higher damage than mine) is super execution-heavy and (at least for my skill level) not reliable in the heat of a match. The beauty of this one is that it's actually quite solid and reliable, it's hit-confirmable, does decent meterless damage (~29%) that can be extended with one meter for solid additional damage (~38%), and ends every time in a hard knockdown right at your feet. Most importantly, the ending string is cancellable, so you can end it in an orbiting hat to (at least) stuff a wakeup and (hopefully) loop the combo.

(db1 hits), walk up and pause briefly for their head to come back, then...
44, instant-air forward-jump d4, st.1, b321~db1 (29%)
or...
44, instant-air forward-jump d4, st.1, b321~EX df1, b321~db1 (38%)
or, if you really need the unbreakable damage from an x-ray...
44, instant-air forward-jump d4, st.1, b32~xray (46%)

A few points on landing this:
-Hitting the instant-air divekick requires you to jump forward and input it very early. It's not that hard if you just input it as one motion: uf,d+4
-Hit the standing 1 as soon as you land from the divekick
-The first b321 can hit them from pretty low in the air. The timing is fairly relaxed.
-The second b321 (for the 1-bar combo) needs to be done fairly early so that the final hit connects, but it's not difficult with a little practice.
-An additional option would be to end with MB teleport instead of the orbiting hat and then delay reappearing to screw with their wakeups.

Give this a shot and let me know if you can improve upon it while keeping it practical.

Last edited:

supernumian

Triborg Enthusiast
A question for someone who's better than me.
I'm doing pretty well with buzzsaw KL and even hat trick KL give me some satisfaction with his EX hat toss that work like Jade's glaive but I'm no good with tempest.
It seems that I'm doing something wrong with this variation.
The thing that I don't like is that EX spin doesn't travel forward and sometime I miss the punish even If I can catch jump-ins and extend combos.
The hat shield seems not very useful and I can't do some setup with it.

Are there any advice for a beginner Tempest Lao?
What are the general strategies with him? Aggressive? Punishing? Defensive? Setup? Mind games?

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
wheres the 51% that ends with an uppercut and a throw back into the corner!! i know i seen it somewhere but i can't find it again!! Q~Q

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000

I'm not sure about Tempest and Hat Trick, but I see no need to buff Buzz Saw. It's my main variation and I think it's fantastic.