What's new

General/Other - Tempest Kung Lao Tempest Variation General Discussion

Ok so ive spent alot of time in the lab trying to figure out midscreen BnB's for kung lao in tempest variation.. aaaand these are the most damaging combos I can come up with from all his useful tools. Not quite sure of all the notation you guys are using, so im gonna write some of it in words.

B3,21 - Ex df1 - Straight jump 2 - jump forward 3 - dive kick right after hit - b3,2 bf 2 ------- 35% (1 bar, hit confirmable string)

F2,3 - df1 - jump in 3, dive kick - b3,2,1 - ex df1 - straight jump 2 - d2 -------- 35% (1 bar, hit confirmable string)
F2,3 - df1 - jump in 3, dive kick - b3,2 - bf2 ------- 26% (no meter, hit confirmable)

B2 - df1 - jump in 3, dive kick - b3,2,1 - ex df 1 - straight jump 2 - d2 ---------- 34% (1 bar)
B2 - df1 - jump in 3, dive kick - b3,2 - bf2 -------- 24% (meterless)

Teleport 2 - b3,2,1 - df1 - b3,2,1 - ex df1 - straight jump 2 - d2 --------- 38% (1 bar)
Teleport 2 - b3,2,1 - df1 - b3,2,1 - bf2 ---------- 28% (meterless)

Teleport 3 - 4,4 - Run cancel b3,2,1 - df1 - b3,2,1 - ex df1 - straight jump 2 - d2 ---------- 48% (1 bar)
Teleport 3 - 4,4 - Run cancel b3,2,1 - df1 - b3,2,1 - bf2 ------ Cant remember the damage, but its good (meterless).

Incase 4,4 doesnt reach you can use f2,3 for better range:

Teleport 3 - f2,3 - df1 - forward jump 3, dive kick - b3,2,1 - ex df1 - straight jump 2 - d2 --------- 39% (1 bar)

The most damaging ender is his straight jump 2 into d2 after ex df1.. Im not sure if its possible to do a similar ender with buzzsaw, but I will test it asap :)

In the corner the only kind of useful combo I found was from his shield in the tempest variation.. you can combo into 4,4 if you hit with the shield:

Shield hit (db1) - 4,4 - 1,1 - b3,2,1 - ex df1 - straight jump 2 - b3,2 - df1 ------- 40% (1 bar)

Im pretty sure all of these combos are max damage from his most useful strings/tools. Enjoy!

44 is a legit string for tempest. With the hat spin on you can run in and confirm whether the hats hit and press 44 to combo. The same thing applies to teleport 3. You only use 44 when you actually see the hats or tele 3 hit, don't do it on block.

Right now I feel tempest might be stronger after all and here is why I think so(off the top of my head):

- better conversion, high damage
- better wakeup attack and he gets more damage off of it. Ex spin in other variations have the same weakness that it either whiffs if they time the cross up correctly or the spin barely hits so it would be hard to convert to a full combo
- A 4 frame spin punishes a lot of things. You really want to punish opponents hard when you actually block their mixups. A 4 frame spin really punishes a lot. I was kinda sceptical about this at first because I thought it might be hard to punish something that is -5, but I think it can be done consistently with a little practice. The damage off of the 4 frame spin isn't bad either.
- you might think zoning in buzzsaw is a lot better, but that isn't neccesarily true. The hat projectile in tempest does 7% damage on hit compared to low hat that does 5% and straight hat in buzzsaw only does 3%. Tempest hat also has a slightly faster startup and most important of all the hat doesn't take a long time to recover if the opponent didn't get hit by your projectile or block your projectile like in buzzsaw variation.
- low hat does make a lot of things safe, however after playing some games against strong 50/50 characters I figured you don't really want to be at -5 at all point blank against some characters. B321, B12, 1121 are really all the strings you need normally and F23 and 44 are great for punishing or converting off of hat spin and tele 3.

Either way Buzzsaw just isn't my style. With tempest I feel like I can play more patient and defensively, which I really like. It is hard for a lot of characters to throw projectiles at lao because that divekick can punish so many things on reaction for a full combo so for now I don't have the fear of getting zoned at all when I try to use a defensive playstyle. The ex spin can punish a lot of things up close and the divekick can punish a lot of things from far away. For now I feel like this playstyle is better than the things I have been doing with buzzsaw. There might be a good use for the moving spin as well apart from converting combos.

I made some really fun combos involving his Hat Spin and EN Hat Spin. They're kinda tough, but really fun, and they get good damage for confirming a hat spin hit.

these are really good. Do you happen to know what the difference is between hat spin and ex hat spin? Apart from a little more damage, it moving faster and the hat returning faster on kung laos head.

Last edited:

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Btw we should use 1121 off of jump ins. B12 is a follow up that can be armored out of

these are really good. Do you happen to know what the difference is between hat spin and ex hat spin? Apart from a little more damage, it moving faster and the hat returning faster on kung laos head.
Those are the only changes as far as I know. Those are pretty big changes though.

CheapEddie

I HAVE A FACE NOW!
Can Lao really move while spinning in Tempest style? I tried but it just doesnt work ( yeah, silly me :( )

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
After watching GGA Tsung tournament and seeing MacFly's KL BS variation and after that had closer look at Tempest I see in him more overall safer. The he has bit stronger damage output i think as well. Powerful variation indeed.

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
His ex spin in tempest is 4f. He punishes so many things right now.
And a 40% combo 1 bar I have with him is pretty simple just b321,ex spin, b321, spin, jk,divekick, jk,divekick. And it has good corner carry

A more simple 1 bar 38% is b321, ex spin, 4, spin, jk, divekick, jk divekick.

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
Yeah play footsies zone put the hat around you. Punish stuff with ex spin that normally wouldn't be punished. I feel like he is the ultimate defensive juggernaut in this game. He can play offensive too in this variation. His punishes do make him really strong

What's your general gameplan in tempest? Do you play safe, sit back, zone, and punish?
the hats allow him to play both defensive footsies and offensive footsies with little risk. You can initiate offense without worrying about whiffing a move because the hats around you are the offense.

The hat spin and subzeros clone are similar in the way that it discourages opponents to approach you and it can also trap the opponent in the corner like the clone does. It is obviously not close to what the clone can do, but it can be used in a similar fashion in some situations imo.

Wasted

Noob
In the corner the only kind of useful combo I found was from his shield in the tempest variation.. you can combo into 4,4 if you hit with the shield:

Shield hit (db1) - 4,4 - 1,1 - b3,2,1 - ex df1 - straight jump 2 - b3,2 - df1 ------- 40% (1 bar)

Im pretty sure all of these combos are max damage from his most useful strings/tools. Enjoy!
If you confirm from shield in the corner:

Shield confirm - 44, 11, b321 xx Spin, b32 xx EX Spin, NJ2 into:

Forward Throw
B12 1+4
B32 Spin
F21D1
F14

All do 43%.

Ending in just 21 does 42%, however, it give you the fastest recovery and thus the most time to put your hat shield back up.

If you do raw D2 after the NJ2, you get 44%, but send your opponent out of the corner.

Last edited:
Right but what do you do when they block your hat? Tempest lao already feels super unsafe without low hat, so what do you do to mix up your opponent? If you actually land a hit, how do you confirm any damage at all without a hat for what feels like forever?