What's new

General/Other - Tempest Kung Lao Tempest Variation General Discussion

Clark L.

F1 ftw.
Hey guys, so I had posted a video the other day on the 55% 1 bar midscreen combo, as well as a compilation of what I thought to be all of the optimized damage off of each starter that I find important. Well.. I sorta had a revelation and all of my damage off each string went wayyyyy up, so I decided to put out another video. Hope this helps someone out
Not being a dick or undermining your video (your video is really nice!). I posted a video similar explaining and doing two b321s in 1 combo the day of the patch(3 weeks ago)...I don't end combos in d2.(no point, except for ending a round)

SodNine

Noob
Not being a dick or undermining your video (your video is really nice!). I posted a video similar explaining and doing two b321s in 1 combo the day of the patch(3 weeks ago)...I don't end combos in d2.(no point, except for ending a round)
It may be yours that indirectly gave me the idea, at Midwest championship people were watching me play and someone told me they had seen it done and to see what I could do with it. So props to you :)

SodNine

Noob
I'm having trouble punishing shinnok air drop Tele anyone know how to punish it?
Depending on the move it may not be punishable, I know if he does the njp it's a true njp and it's -8, so factoring in 1 frame to block, and 1 frame to punish it needs to be a 6 frame or lower startup to punish it which KL doesn't have. If he does the kick, it -6, so it's need to be a 4 frame or lower which (obviously haha) he doesn't have, as well as the massive pushback it causes. So, unfortunately it's pretty safe :/

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
Dam
Depending on the move it may not be punishable, I know if he does the njp it's a true njp and it's -8, so factoring in 1 frame to block, and 1 frame to punish it needs to be a 6 frame or lower startup to punish it which KL doesn't have. If he does the kick, it -6, so it's need to be a 4 frame or lower which (obviously haha) he doesn't have, as well as the massive pushback it causes. So, unfortunately it's pretty safe :/
Dam.. I have Tele xx tele3 them on reaction the Tele 3 will hit them before they get there move out from his Tele. For the conversion I do Tele 3 f2xx spin jk-dk jk-dk

Last edited:

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
How do you guys consistently get 44 after hat spin? Seems like the only way I can get out consistently is double tap the shit out of 44. Tried learning timing seems so incredibly tight that it seems impossible. Something I'm missing or does everyone just mash it out?

iDeeejay

Low MeterBurn Lightning
ex spin 4 xx db1 b32 j3 dk j3 dk (36%)

looks like it should be b32 spin

hmm
Yep, my bad! I didn't even notice @___@.
mid screen is ex spin 4 xx db1 b32 xx df1 j3 dk j3 dk
corner is ex spin 4 xx db1 b321 xx df1 j3 dk j3 dk

SodNine

Noob
How do you guys consistently get 44 after hat spin? Seems like the only way I can get out consistently is double tap the shit out of 44. Tried learning timing seems so incredibly tight that it seems impossible. Something I'm missing or does everyone just mash it out?
Are you using a lagless screen? It's a 2 frame link so it's going to be difficult regardless, but this could help you a lot.

just_2swift

Yep, my bad! I didn't even notice @___@.
mid screen is ex spin 4 xx db1 b32 xx df1 j3 dk j3 dk
corner is ex spin 4 xx db1 b321 xx df1 j3 dk j3 dk
I can't get the second jk-dk to hit consistently does it depend on the timing of the first jk-dk?

just_2swift

Use visual cues like after hat spin watch his knee or heel jerk at least that's how I time it

mrtom

Noob
Try hitting 44 after you hear the "thwack" sound it makes when it connects. I tried visual cues but it didn't click until I used the sound. It's important you press 44 after the sound, don't press in anticipation. The more successful you are the easier it gets and eventually it just becomes muscle memory.

just_2swift

where? i need to see this

also, 4~hatspin, 44 sounds like a corner only combo, am i right?
It's coming I've been busy is all. Yes and no about that combo starter works mid screen but it's stance specific and very irrelevant because it requires you're opponent to be in the stance as well.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
Only cassies ex flipkick can punish that. Others can interrupt but you can block their armor attacks on time, no reason for them to do that and get punished. Backdashes can be chased down too. B321 ex hat spin is useful.
curious on how cassies ex flip kick is the only thing that can punish that block string.