General/Other - Tempest Kung Lao Tempest Variation General Discussion

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
Stance specific (open stance) and after J1 only:

J1 4xxspin NJP JK DK f14
Super easy combo with 31% damage but hardly hit confirmable

Tempest stance specific (open stance):
4xxhatspin 44 run b312xxspin JK DK f14
Seems to be a 2 frame link between hatspin and 44, but will be rewarded with 46% damage meterless
i prefer to end in 21 most of the time in tempest because it guarantees a free hat spin, b321 is only a good ender if you havent used hatspin in your combo yet.

SodNine

Noob
So, i'm not positive if this one had been done yet, but I just happened to come across a mid-screen 55% one bar i'm pretty psyched about. It's sort've tricky however given that you might need to stance change for the 4 xx hat spin to connect.

Last edited:

AK Stormthegates

WOOLAY!!!!
Alright guys how do I improve this?

Trying to keep the hat spin in the combo because it builds extra meter.

EDIT: Nevermind I'm dumb. I do DK 1 xxx db1 b32 spin b321 for 24% and a hard knockdown. Does anyone have any better still? Trying to optimize.

Last edited:

MK_Al

Noob
So, i'm not positive if this one had been done yet, but I just happened to come across a mid-screen 55% one bar i'm pretty psyched about. It's sort've tricky however given that you might need to stance change for the 4 xx hat spin to connect.
Nice 1. I would appreciate if you would add the notation; pls correct if I am wrong:
tele3 4xxhat spin 44 run b321xxspin b321xxEXspin njp d2

i prefer to end in 21 most of the time in tempest because it guarantees a free hat spin, b321 is only a good ender if you havent used hatspin in your combo yet.
You can go into a ghetto reset with b312xxtele2 or just b312xxtele1. Works well if only used sparly. If you fell like they will delay wakeup, you can end your combo with b32xxtele, and f4/b22 will hit meaty after landing from the teleport.
After f14 immediate b22/f4 will hit perfect meaty when the wakeup is not delayed.

SodNine

Noob
@MK_Al that's correct, except you will need to run cancel the d2 also(not 100% necessary but it's kinda wonky, so this will make it a guaranteed hit). Sorry for leaving out the notations I was tired when I posted that up!

Last edited:
Hi new to the series and liking tempest kung lao.

Was watching DJT at MWC and I see that he really uses b3,2,1 as a pressure string. He was cancelling it into hat and ex hat to keep his strings safe. Do you guys prefer other strings like 1,1 or b 2 instead? i've always thought b3,2,1 was a pretty slow string but he seemed to get a lot of mileage out of it

Also, I'm not sure if this is like some MKX basics or whatnot OR how helpful it really may be, but I've found that you can get like a pseudo instant overhead with kung lao

Not sure how effective it might be but this is pretty easy to hit confirm and depending on distance, might be pretty surprising. what do u guys think? useless?

MK_Al

Noob
b321 is on of the best and in my opinion most important KL strings (even more so in buzzsaw for you can hitconfirm in 38% damage with one bar).
Weather you use b312, 11 or b2 depends on the situation.
11 is the fastest starter, but 1 hits high and can be countered with low pokes, d2 etc. The range is limited as well, and I claim you can not hitconfirm 11xxspin (or it's just me...). So overall it's your best starter for punishing strings and specials that are up to about -13.
b312 has good range, hits mid and can be hitconfirmed to deal huge damage. The startup should be about 16f, so I rather use it to whiff punish or at a distance / situation where I can not be poked during startup. So you need good spacing/footsies to utilize it. Technically it is not a "pressure string" - You are at + frames afterwards and unless you have conditioned your oponent to wait for a spinning hat your pressure ends here. I also like to use it as combo ender beacause you get a hard knockdown and cancel into teleport for shinanegans (however, most KL player prefer 21 as Combo ender).

Reagrding the "instant" overhead; it's not quite new to me, but I haven't played around with it either. I have no opinion on that so far, but extra tech can never be useless.

SiThG0D

These eyes will deceive you.
Can someone that is actually good with Tempest Kung Lao online share with me the main combos you use midscreen/corner. I'm not looking for the craziest stuff possible or the highest damage, I want the most practical stuff that will work well in a fight, I just started messing around with him a few hours ago and really like him so far but all the stuff I learned didn't really pan out to well online, So if any Tempest online mains can give me some good BnB's for online use that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks xD

Clark L.

F1 ftw.
Can someone that is actually good with Tempest Kung Lao online share with me the main combos you use midscreen/corner. I'm not looking for the craziest stuff possible or the highest damage, I want the most practical stuff that will work well in a fight, I just started messing around with him a few hours ago and really like him so far but all the stuff I learned didn't really pan out to well online, So if any Tempest online mains can give me some good BnB's for online use that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks xD
Youtube.com/user/clarkluthorgaming

Swaggy combos are cool for sure. But I post combos that are literally high damaging and highlyy practical in a real match.

delbuster

hungry
Not sure how effective it might be but this is pretty easy to hit confirm and depending on distance, might be pretty surprising. what do u guys think? useless?
jump normals if done while rising in the jump hit mid (not overhead). you can see it in your video that it hits mid rather than overhead so it's not an instant overhead.

SodNine

Noob
Hey guys, so I had posted a video the other day on the 55% 1 bar midscreen combo, as well as a compilation of what I thought to be all of the optimized damage off of each starter that I find important. Well.. I sorta had a revelation and all of my damage off each string went wayyyyy up, so I decided to put out another video. Hope this helps someone out

Last edited:

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
Hey guys, so I had posted a video the other day on the 55% 1 bar midscreen combo, as well as a compilation of what I thought to be all of the optimized damage off of each starter that I find important. Well.. I sorta had a revelation and all of my damage off each string went wayyyyy up, so I decided to put out another video. Hope this helps someone out
Much love Lao brethren

TheIrishFGCguy

Pew pew pew
Ppl that say tempest isn't a top ten character are buffoons
I kind of agree, but when you think about it there are so many variations that could be top 10. Outlaw/marksman eeron, Hollywood cassie, grand master sub zero, hellfire scorpion, summon quan, balanced kenshi, d'vorah, bojutsu kung jin, thunder god raiden, sonya, heavy weapons jax, etc. I think tempest is amazing but being a top 10 variation out of 70 something is a really tough call, especially considering tempest doesn't really have the "dirt" that most other characters have. Still, it's very powerful.

MK_Al

Noob
I can't hit the JK DK JK DK (no matter what combo) for the love of god. It Looks like the 2nd JK should hit, but it just doesn't.

mrtom

Noob
I can't hit the JK DK JK DK (no matter what combo) for the love of god. It Looks like the 2nd JK should hit, but it just doesn't.
When you do a spin, hold uf after the df1 motion to jump immediately and then hold uf again after you hit d4 for the first dive kick so you jump as soon as you land. Just practice spin, jk-dk, jk-dk over and over then try it in a combo when you're comfortable.